• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does anyone hate this Dante ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I think I'm right with you although they all did a great job in my opinion. I'm attracted to certain voices though (I know it's weird) and Drew Coombs voice sounded like sex to me, that is if sex had a voice.
Yeah they all did really good even DMC2's voice actor for Dante had atleast one good line but Drew's voice excluding the whole "Fill your soul with light" scene was really good hehe he was dorky and I love that xD

Onecrazymonkey1

Yeah they all did really good even DMC2's voice actor for Dante had atleast one good line but Drew's voice excluding the whole "Fill your soul with light" scene was really good hehe he was dorky and I love that xD

Yeah it made me wonder if he deepened his voice for the entire game and his real voice popped out in that line or something lol. and dorky can be real adorable! I actually prefer dorks over everyone else; I'm one anyway, or so I'm told..... over....and over...and over again.....

K-Style

I like DMC4 dante too. Even though he was pretty much a cocky bastard, he pretty much has all the reason to be. After all, he is practically invincible and supposedly surpassed his own father, you would think that he would have probably little struggle facing even the saviour. Plus at his age you would probably want to make the best out of everything, even after the events from DMC1 and 3 and even before then. If the chronology is indeed correct. I dont know, maybe they were trying to go for a style factor, after all, again it is Dante we're talking about.

Keeks-May-Cry

I'm in a state of grace.
4Dante is definitely one of my favourites, as the Dante that introduced me to the series! Though I love his costume, however, the fact that it is strangely elaborate and...well, fancy for a guy who's supposed to be in constant debt.
I see no reason why he shouldn't be cocky- that aspect of his personality is one of the most well-known, no matter what the extent (that's probably the reason I'm dealing with the reboot Dante). He thinks he's invincible no matter who he's up against and that trademark personality shows it, as it's pretty much always done throughout each new medium the series uses. :)

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
It's not that I don't like him, he's pretty fun to watch... But he seems to lack that serious tone he has underneath in DMC1. I liked that about DMC1 Dante, because it reminded me that he was not simply a carefree teenager that doesn't give a sh!t about almost anything. It's not the fact that he is strong enough to solve the problem with a snap of his fingers, yes, he is, little doubt on that. The problem is that Nero finding Vergil's sword should have brought up issues and memories that surely are not playful at all for Dante. When his traumatic past is mentioned, instead, DMC1 Dante does not act so carefree. He is more credible in this regard.
Not to mention the inconsistency of character from DMC1 to DMC4: at the end of DMC3 Dante seems to have matured to become the man he is in DMC1, but in DMC4 he just seems that this step has...disappeared.

Nothing new, yeah. But I'm bored out of my wits, and so I just annoy you people with unoriginal points about DMC. Sorry.

Keeks-May-Cry

I'm in a state of grace.
A lot of his personality has been up-and-down with every new game. I admit that it's horribly unprofessional to have a lack of consistency, especially when a well-loved and popular character is involved because it's kind of confusing and disappointing for fans when their favourite character can't decide whether he's going to be a smartass or maybe a little mature for a change.

LysseC

A lot of his personality has been up-and-down with every new game. I admit that it's horribly unprofessional to have a lack of consistency, especially when a well-loved and popular character is involved because it's kind of confusing and disappointing for fans when their favourite character can't decide whether he's going to be a smartass or maybe a little mature for a change.
At the cost of repeating something that has surely been already discussed on this forum, I think that the problem is this: the fans seemed to like DMC3 Dante, so they brought him on the screen again in DMC 4, but the problem is that by doing this they disregarded the issue of consistency in his character development through the series... A pity, truly.
But on the other hand, I think that there are fans who don't mind consistency as much as you and I do, and just want to have a funny Dante... And DMC4 Dante surely is fun. Oh well... I guess it depends on which each fan us wants to find in a DMC game. :ermm:
However, I agree with you in thinking that consistency should be a little more important. :)

Keeks-May-Cry

I'm in a state of grace.
At the cost of repeating something that has surely been already discussed on this forum, I think that the problem is this: the fans seemed to like DMC3 Dante, so they brought him on the screen again in DMC 4, but the problem is that by doing this they disregarded the issue of consistency in his character development through the series... A pity, truly.
But on the other hand, I think that there are fans who don't mind consistency as much as you and I do, and just want to have a funny Dante... And DMC4 Dante surely is fun. Oh well... I guess it depends on which each fan us wants to find in a DMC game. :ermm:
However, I agree with you in thinking that consistency should be a little more important. :)

Yeah, he's definitely fun! X) Dante's the kind of guy that doesn't seem to grow up or want to become more mature (barring 2Dante who seemed to become strangely sombre very quickly with little explanation as to why), and since the cocky Dante keeps recurring I guess it's going to get harder to make a smoother transition into an older, veteran devil hunter without upsetting the fans, assuming that more games could be made despite fewer directions left to go in. ^^ Though he'd never really lose his bark.

Terrutas

Well you have to take into consideration that Hideki Kamiya, the one who made Dante didn't direct any of the other games after the first one. So obviously there's going to be some inconsistency going on since the vision for Dante isn't the same anymore.

I think the reason DMC3 Dante was a wisecracker and such, is because they figured "Well, he's younger so he should have a more light hearted approach to the world.". And people seemed to like that, so they just kept going with it.

LysseC

I think the reason DMC3 Dante was a wisecracker and such, is because they figured "Well, he's younger so he should have a more light hearted approach to the world.". And people seemed to like that, so they just kept going with it.
That's pretty much what I thought.
Well you have to take into consideration that Hideki Kamiya, the one who made Dante didn't direct any of the other games after the first one. So obviously there's going to be some inconsistency going on since the vision for Dante isn't the same anymore.
I understand that's a reason why the approach to his character changed, but I think that they could have stayed a little more loyal to Kamiya's view for DMC4. After all, Dante's growth at the end of DMC1 pointed in that direction. It's part of his maturation. But then they go and disregard it in DMC4. Yes, maybe they could have made him more playful than he is in DMC1, but not as carefree as he is in DMC4. That's an exaggeration imo.

However, that does not stop me from liking him! :D

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Dante's 'maturation'? Come on. These are two different versions of Dante. Whichever way you cut it, the DMC1 version is still a different Dante, created by different people. I don't think DMC4 Dante is childish in any way; it's just his personality to joke around and make light of everything. In fact, I'd say he matured greatly from DMC3 to DMC4, as he no longer jumps around with an electric guitar and making sexual jokes and whatnot. Though, in his defense, look at bands like RHCP - they still jump around with guitars, and it looks fine. Who says you need to stop making jokes and stop being awesome when you're older? Lame. DMC4 Dante was like a moderate version of DMC3 Dante, and that was an excellent choice to make. You can like it or not, but you can't say 'I believe this and that, therefore Capcom was wrong doing this, that and the other thing'.

Besides, you can't force it. If the guys at Capcom have totally different thought patterns, there's no way they could create a DMC1-like Dante successfully. Similarly, I can't pretend to be a Christian, you know?
The DMC series should have been continued from DMC1 onward by its original developer. Sadly, that didn't happen, and we can't change that.

LysseC

Well, my point was, you can somehow "connect" DMC3 and DMC1 Dante by saying that he has matured, understanding that not everything in life should be simply joked about. Your brother falling into hell willingly after you beat the crap out of him is one of those.
Then again, not everthing in life should be matter for emoing. So it's alright if he jumps around and has fun, indeed, it's a fact about him that I appreciate (and, btw, the aspect of his character that makes him more enjoyable than DmC Dante to me). You don't have to stop making jokes and being awesome when you're older, but they must be balanced out by more seriuos moments. But in DMC4 this joking/awesomeness aspect seems just too exaggerated.

And I didn't see him matured in DMC4 just because he does not make a show of himself with a guitar... And no more sexual jokes? Then what about this?:ermm:
(Btw, I love this scene... :D)

Anyway, my problem with DMC4 Dante is not just a matter of me personally appreciating a character who is more or less mature, but a problem of more objective discontinuity in his character development.
In DMC3 we are shown that Dante has a playful side about him. Then, during DMC3, he starts to gain a more serious side, and the story shows us how. Those two aspects we both find in DMC1 Dante. But then, DMC4 Dante suddenly seems to drop his serious side again, without an explanation of why (I mean, an explanation related to events in the story, not "meta" reasons like another team designing him). That's why I think there is an inconsistency between DMC1 and 3 on the one side, and DMC4 on the other.
That's why I think this is somehow a fault on Capcom's part, not simply the fact that I prefer a character who is more serious.

And about the fact that another team could not recreate an identical Dante to Kamiya's one, well... It's okay if there is a little shift, but the shift between DMC1 Dante and DMC4 Dante is just too big imo, and not "justified" by the plot like DMC3 Dante is.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Well, my point was, you can somehow "connect" DMC3 and DMC1 Dante by saying that he has matured, understanding that not everything in life should be simply joked about. Your brother falling into hell willingly after you beat the crap out of him is one of those.

Yeah, in real life it would work that way. But Dante is a character, and that response is his way of coping with things. And to be honest, I'm glad he isn't too realistic, otherwise I might not even want to play the game. I look for characters in DMC games, not necessarily human beings all day, every day. And it seems like it may be a bit of a Japanese thing, that the main character doesn't really act realistically or human.

(and, btw, the aspect of his character that makes him more enjoyable than DmC Dante to me).

Ah nice, so we agree, then :)

You don't have to stop making jokes and being awesome when you're older, but they must be balanced out by more seriuos moments. But in DMC4 this joking/awesomeness aspect seems just too exaggerated.

Nah, not necessarily. If they want to make Dante not overly serious about anything, fine with me. Age does not pertain to that for me.

And I didn't see him matured in DMC4 just because he does not make a show of himself with a guitar... And no more sexual jokes? Then what about this?:ermm:
(Btw, I love this scene... :D)

Alright, you got me there :p But you get my point; he's not as flamboyant as in DMC3, and that's good.

Anyway, my problem with DMC4 Dante is not just a matter of me personally appreciating a character who is more or less mature, but a problem of more objective discontinuity in his character development.
In DMC3 we are shown that Dante has a playful side about him. Then, during DMC3, he starts to gain a more serious side, and the story shows us how. Those two aspects we both find in DMC1 Dante. But then, DMC4 Dante suddenly seems to drop his serious side again, without an explanation of why (I mean, an explanation related to events in the story, not "meta" reasons like another team designing him). That's why I think there is an inconsistency between DMC1 and 3 on the one side, and DMC4 on the other.

I don't really see how Dante changed from the start of DMC3 to the end of DMC3. I know he eventually accepted that he was Sparda's son after saying ''I don't have a father. I just don't like you, that's all'', but his personality remained intact. He stopped Vergil like he set out to do, then went about his business.

And about the fact that another team could not recreate an identical Dante to Kamiya's one, well... It's okay if there is a little shift, but the shift between DMC1 Dante and DMC4 Dante is just too big imo, and not "justified" by the plot like DMC3 Dante is.

Fair enough.

LysseC

Yeah, in real life it would work that way. But Dante is a character, and that response is his way of coping with things. And to be honest, I'm glad he isn't too realistic, otherwise I might not even want to play the game. I look for characters in DMC games, not necessarily human beings all day, every day. And it seems like it may be a bit of a Japanese thing, that the main character doesn't really act realistically or human.
This I can understand. As for this,
I don't really see how Dante changed from the start of DMC3 to the end of DMC3. I know he eventually accepted that he was Sparda's son after saying ''I don't have a father. I just don't like you, that's all'', but his personality remained intact. He stopped Vergil like he set out to do, then went about his business.
I personally see a small change, or better, the hint that he might be going in DMC1's direction.
He sobers up a lot, for example in the scene with Lady in the library, when he convinces her he is going to do the right thing.
That is what I find DMC4 is lacking. A scene or two in which he for a moment drops his "overexcited" attitude and says what needs to be said in a completely calm and serious tone. The closest we get in DMC4 is the scene in which he fights Nero, but it's not enough imo, especially after we consider how he acts in DMC1... For example, I would have expected him to act a little more worried after Sancuts activates the Saviour statue (the "Look, it's got wings!" line, as funny as it is, is just too carefree in its tone imo). Or in the flashback with Lady and Trish. He doesn't seem to worry at all, something different from what I could have expected from him after seeing him in DMC1.
That's how I would have made him more similar to DMC1. Little changes here and there, but that could give the impression of him carrying a more serious side to him.

But, oh well. I guess that it may depend on my personal impressions about him.

DMC Obsession

This version of dante is awesome, not only does he look great but his combos are the best. I know some people say they're difficult to use but not for me i know and can do almost every single one. As for the way he acts, why would you want dante to act mature that takes away the whole prinipal of dante, he;s ment to joke around and not act serios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom