• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does anyone hate this Dante ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDmC12345X

#BringBackTheStupidFiles
This version of dante is awesome, not only does he look great but his combos are the best. I know some people say they're difficult to use but not for me i know and can do almost every single one. As for the way he acts, why would you want dante to act mature that takes away the whole prinipal of dante, he;s ment to joke around and not act serios.
Because he goes from being a a young badass that jokes more than he is serious, and becomes more of a hero who is serious about his job to then an even crazier guy then to a very seious guy, it makes no sense he has a midlife crysis. And dante to me is not a crazy bad ass, hes a badass that makes cheesy(though still funny) jokes but is serious when he needs to be ala dmc1 , dmc4 is all about dante despite that nero is the main character, he steals the show all the time and acts crazy when he shouldnt, he cant decide how he wants to act, this is sort of why dante has never been a good character if count them all as one, but alone there are two good dantes 1 annoying one and one that is forgotten(along with his game)

DMC Obsession

Good point really, but would you want Dante to be all serious. Maybe a little more serious would be better but he still should joke around every once in a while.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
This version of dante is awesome, not only does he look great but his combos are the best. I know some people say they're difficult to use but not for me i know and can do almost every single one. As for the way he acts, why would you want dante to act mature that takes away the whole prinipal of dante, he;s ment to joke around and not act serios.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about him. Though I can understand that people would want Dante to go through change: to see him grow as a character. In DMC4, it worked really well; Nero was more serious when things went wrong, but Dante kept his cool and 'cracked wise'. But then, maybe Nero's presence would've been a good way to start making Dante evolve in character.

As for DMC1 Dante, he wasn't developed by the same guys who did DMC3 and DMC4, so for all intents and purposes, he's not the same Dante, and we should treat him as a different character. Saying he evolved into DMC1 Dante is therefore an odd thing to say, especially when you consider that DMC1 Dante was probably supposed to evolve even more, since DMC1 was the first game in the timeline. Then they decided to make DMC3, and everything suddenly made less sense. DMC1 was likely meant to be the first in a chronological series.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
People treat each Dante in each game differently by their character rather than what happens in the game.

What happens in DMC1 is completely different than what happens in DMC4 and thus forth Dante acted differently.

In DMC1 Dante had to deal with revenge and his mommy issues as well as his brother being manipulated and killed by him. Dante in DMC1 has all the right reasons to be serious. What happens in DMC4, some religious nuts are out to take over the world with a Sparda shaped statue. DMC4 was a more Nero centered story than it was for Dante. Nothing personal happens in DMC4 to make Dante go all dark avenger on us. If anything Nero's development in DMC4 is drastically similar or akin to DMC1 Dante both were rather serious though joking at first but went completely serious and even filled with rage against the main antagonist....and the oh so corny crying scene (yes fanboys I SHOULD'VE FILLED YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIGHT is just as bad Nero's KYRRRIIIIIEEEE *cue sparkling tears* in fact both scenes had sparkling tears although Nero's is more dramatic).

Its like if a guy who was jokester and a warm personality witness the death of his mother and family of course he is going to take that sh*t seriously versus a guy who's goal was simple "stop the new bad guys of the day".

By the end of DMC1 or the anime Dante had already gotten over his family issues and his character could go anywhere....however DMC2 Dante could've been the direction Capcom initially had planned but fans didn't like that Dante claiming he wasn't as cocky or cool so they made him more cocky and cool (DMC3) and fans liked that so they made DMC4 Dante similar.

Based on what I seen in Viewtiful Joe, Kamiya might have turned Dante into a corny action hero (he kind of already was a corny action hero) so I don't care.

Hell based on what I seen in Bayonetta, Kamiya might have even made Dante like DMC4 Dante.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
People treat each Dante in each game differently by their character rather than what happens in the game.

What happens in DMC1 is completely different than what happens in DMC4 and thus forth Dante acted differently.

In DMC1 Dante had to deal with revenge and his mommy issues as well as his brother being manipulated and killed by him. Dante in DMC1 has all the right reasons to be serious. What happens in DMC4, some religious nuts are out to take over the world with a Sparda shaped statue. DMC4 was a more Nero centered story than it was for Dante. Nothing personal happens in DMC4 to make Dante go all dark avenger on us. If anything Nero's development in DMC4 is drastically similar or akin to DMC1 Dante both were rather serious though joking at first but went completely serious and even filled with rage against the main antagonist....and the oh so corny crying scene (yes fanboys I SHOULD'VE FILLED YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIGHT is just as bad Nero's KYRRRIIIIIEEEE *cue sparkling tears* in fact both scenes had sparkling tears although Nero's is more dramatic).

Its like if a guy who was jokester and a warm personality witness the death of his mother and family of course he is going to take that sh*t seriously versus a guy who's goal was simple "stop the new bad guys of the day".

By the end of DMC1 or the anime Dante had already gotten over his family issues and his character could go anywhere....however DMC2 Dante could've been the direction Capcom initially had planned but fans didn't like that Dante claiming he wasn't as cocky or cool so they made him more cocky and cool (DMC3) and fans liked that so they made DMC4 Dante similar.

Based on what I seen in Viewtiful Joe, Kamiya might have turned Dante into a corny action hero (he kind of already was a corny action hero) so I don't care.

Hell based on what I seen in Bayonetta, Kamiya might have even made Dante like DMC4 Dante.

actually, the dantes act differently because they were written by different people with different goals:

Kamiya wanted to create a gritty action hero with a sometimes humorous side, to use in a new resident evil game.
Itsuno wanted to create shirtless japanese deadpool with a sometimes serious side.
Tameem wanted to reboot deadpool as the punisher.

Both Kamiya and Itsuno write a version of dante that is forced to deal with loss of family (both are directly involved with the death of vergil and must face the death of their mother) yet they act completely different. The real, literal reason for this is that the character was written by multiple different people who weren't sure where his design was headed at the start of the series. People enjoy Itsuno's wisecracking dante more than the other versions but tend to forget that he was also responsible for DMC2 dante. He didn't plan to write such a bipolar character arc, he was making it up as he went based on fan reactions. Fan reaction to DMC2 dante was overwhelmingly negative, so he pulled a 180 and made the dante most fans know and love today.

I seriously doubt anyone had DMC3 dante in mind when DMC1 and 2 were being written

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i don't hate him. i just like him the least of all five dantes. but seriously, he acted too much like his DMC3 counterpart. his sense in fashion is his business. i just felt awkward because it was like he went from acting like an apathetic teenager, to a humble business man, to an apathetic teenager, back to a humble business man. the personality change is odd to me. but hey, its out of my control right?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
actually, the dantes act differently because they were written by different people with different goals:

Kamiya wanted to create a gritty action hero with a sometimes humorous side, to use in a new resident evil game.
Itsuno wanted to create shirtless japanese deadpool with a sometimes serious side.
Tameem wanted to reboot deadpool as the punisher.

Both Kamiya and Itsuno write a version of dante that is forced to deal with loss of family (both are directly involved with the death of vergil and must face the death of their mother) yet they act completely different. The real, literal reason for this is that the character was written by multiple different people who weren't sure where his design was headed at the start of the series. People enjoy Itsuno's wisecracking dante more than the other versions but tend to forget that he was also responsible for DMC2 dante. He didn't plan to write such a bipolar character arc, he was making it up as he went based on fan reactions. Fan reaction to DMC2 dante was overwhelmingly negative, so he pulled a 180 and made the dante most fans know and love today.

I seriously doubt anyone had DMC3 dante in mind when DMC1 and 2 were being written

I was talking from the game's narrative perspective while what you say is totally true I was talking about how DMC1 Dante was serious for the most part while DMC4 Dante was due to how the story was.

Stuff happened in DMC1 that made Dante much more serious while DMC4 nothing really made Dante become mad to the point he goes on an avenging route and the only thing that came close was the Order using his brother's sword and Nero being a relative of his but he has shown to be capable of caring and even being serious (although for a second).

Plus Itsuno (well mostly Bingo and Kobayashi) were responsible for the anime Dante who was pretty close to the DMC1 Dante (or a DMC2 Dante but with more personality). Capcom has shown to be capable of creating a consistent Dante and Dante was the way he was in DMC4 because:

A. Fans really liked DMC3 Dante the most, although he was cocky and hot headed for a reason, so Itsuno made him behave more like that.
B. Wasn't the main character, Nero was, and the story was all on him, Dante was merely there for fanservice or just cause and like I said before the character development Nero received in DMC4 is akin to DMC1 Dante.

If Dante was the main character of DMC4, he would've most likely behaved more similar to Nero was in DMC4 (okay maybe not all the dramatic crying and getting all furious).

Plus prior to what people say, DMC4 Dante isn't like DMC3 Dante. He isn't constantly shouting out lines like Yahoo! or This Party is Getting Crazy! or riding missiles or shows off for the sake of showing off. He was in fact really quite for the first half of the game you would think he was DMC2 Dante with DMC3 Dante's voice. The only thing he did that was close was the Lucifer scene and that was due to the nature of the weapon like in DMC3 how Dante would demonstrate each weapon after getting them based on each weapon (Cerberus since they were nunchucks Bruce Lee impersonations, Nevan he rocked out because it was a guitar, or the Doppelganger he played with his doppelganger) while with DMC4 weapons with Gilgamesh he did karate moves and did more Bruce Lee impressions and with Lucifer (if you actually knew more about the weapon.....not you Kam) was a weapon that on its own was chocked full off innuendos and BSMD reference such as Ectasy, Pin Up, or Climax so when he demonstrated it he is going to make a sexual innuendo to match the weapon's personality. He was more similar to his DMC3 counterpart than he was to his DMC1 counterpart but he wasn't literally DMC3 Dante but older.

Plus it was the technology at the time that Dante was the way he was in DMC1. I mean people tend to credit Mikami for DMC1 Dante's character but tend to forget he made this guy

images
Who behaves similar to DMC3 Dante or Nero.

If DMC1 came out around the same time as God Hand/DMC3/DMC4 I'm not sure if Dante would be the same exact way he was in DMC1.....well he would be serious but the times he was joking around and saying cheesy one liners they might've been more over the top for their time....or maybe its the fact DMC1 was made by a RE dev team.

Kam

The overall whole of dante's story is inconsistent and often contradictory; the only consistency is within the individual games that attempted to define his character a certain way. DMC1 dante sheds no tears over the loss of family and loved ones (he even names his shop "devil never cry" in honor of that fact), but DMC3 dante felt it was important to do the opposite of what DMC1 dante did. DMC3 and 4 dante valued humanity and emphasized not throwing it away for demonic power, yet DMC2 dante dives headlong into his demonic nature, going as far as discarding ebony and ivory while in devil trigger and shooting demonic bolts out of his hands. And none of these were rebooted stories; these are all supposed to be the same character in the same timeline.

The dantes across the first four games are all the same people, but would react very differently to the exact same situations. Excusing a personality trait because of something that happened in the story is mostly meaningless. Recognizing that is an important part of discussing his character, because otherwise you might do something silly like devote several pages of posts defending his character as an inevitable outcome of the story. The story was retroactively written to fit around his already defined character, not the other way around

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
still. dante's behavior change is odd not due to circumstance but due to a strange drug that he took and went on a cambion high. its my only explanation. in the anime, dante is presented with many types of situations. he deals with them all the same way. just like DMC1 and DMC2 dante would. in DMC4 he just goes plain teen

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
The overall whole of dante's story is inconsistent and often contradictory; the only consistency is within the individual games that attempted to define his character a certain way. DMC1 dante sheds no tears over the loss of family and loved ones (he even names his shop "devil never cry" in honor of that fact), but DMC3 dante felt it was important to do the opposite of what DMC1 dante did. DMC3 and 4 dante valued humanity and emphasized not throwing it away for demonic power, yet DMC2 dante dives headlong into his demonic nature, going as far as discarding ebony and ivory while in devil trigger and shooting demonic bolts out of his hands. And none of these were rebooted stories; these are all supposed to be the same character in the same timeline.

The dantes across the first four games are all the same people, but would react very differently to the exact same situations. Excusing a personality trait because of something that happened in the story is mostly meaningless. Recognizing that is an important part of discussing his character, because otherwise you might do something silly like devote several pages of posts defending his character as an inevitable outcome of the story. The story was retroactively written to fit around his already defined character, not the other way around

Hmmm...so why did he shed tears for Trish who died sacrificing herself for him and even considers her human for being able to shed tears....something he did not to long ago which puts an emphasis on valuing humanity since he says "tears are human's special gifts". Don't you mean rename it that since before it was called Devil May Cry.

Its unknown how far DMC2 is down the timeline and DMC2 as a direct sequel to DMC1 at the time emphasized that Dante fully embraced his father's legacy not his demonic nature and matured into a legend like his father who prior in DMC1 respected his father while in DMC3 he somewhat didn't care but cared at the end. Its unknown what happens to Ebony and Ivory when he goes DT or how his DT in DMC2 works....and shooting demonic bolts from his hands just like DMC1 Alastor DT or DMC3 Nevan DT?

Plus Dante said not throwing away his humanity for demonic power, I don't think naturally getting stronger and acknowledging his demon side is what he meants. If Dante really threw away his humanity in DMC2 he wouldn't have comforted Lucia the way he did.

I do agree his character can be a bit inconsistent (no contradictory at times) due to having different writers each game but overall its still Dante (over a certain period of time) or tries to be.

Kam

As a reminder: DMC2 and DMC4 dante are both roughly the same age, or at least close enough where such a radical personality shift would be extremely difficult to rationalize. If DMC2 had done well DMC4 dante would be a grim character with all his belts on the outside of his jacket instead of on the inside. But it didn't, and that's why DMC4 dante is a totally different person than DMC2 dante, even though chronologically he should be well on his way to becoming him.

As far as getting stronger, fully embracing his demon side is actually the exact opposite of what dantes 3 and 4 are all about. The entire plot of DMC3 is vergil's quest to squash out his human side and become full demon, and dante triumphing by not doing that. In fact, it's a pretty huge part of dante's character growth over the course of the game (months ago I made a post going into more detail on it, it's here if you're curious). In DMC4 dante even rambles on at length about how he was able to beat an artificially created full demon because his human side gave him a hidden edge. Shelving his humanity and throwing aside his human weapons in order to gain a demonic edge is not something dante 3 or 4 would do. It's what vergil did, and dante kicked his ass. I would expect dante to know better after that

It's not that I don't like him, he's pretty fun to watch... But he seems to lack that serious tone he has underneath in DMC1. I liked that about DMC1 Dante, because it reminded me that he was not simply a carefree teenager that doesn't give a sh!t about almost anything. It's not the fact that he is strong enough to solve the problem with a snap of his fingers, yes, he is, little doubt on that. The problem is that Nero finding Vergil's sword should have brought up issues and memories that surely are not playful at all for Dante. When his traumatic past is mentioned, instead, DMC1 Dante does not act so carefree. He is more credible in this regard.
Not to mention the inconsistency of character from DMC1 to DMC4: at the end of DMC3 Dante seems to have matured to become the man he is in DMC1, but in DMC4 he just seems that this step has...disappeared.

Nothing new, yeah. But I'm bored out of my wits, and so I just annoy you people with unoriginal points about DMC. Sorry.

I agree with you.

I still think the DMC 3 to DMC 1 change in Dante's personality was fine and it should have stayed like this,not change from a collected,cool-tempered guy who was joking from time to time to a man who,in my opinion was behaving way out of place,even for his age,not that I would have a problem,but as I said,it's not fitting in the criteria of how Dante really is.(I'm talking about 4Dante)

To me,he felt quite a forced character,an empty one.I feel like they made him the way he was to fit into the standards of what most gamers would want a badass demon killer(and he is) to be like,but they exaggerated.

Same with DmC Dante,at first I felt they tried to make him appealing to teenagers who think 'it's cool to behave like this',what most kids these days think it's 'cool'.And even NT changed the character in some aspects,how they made him less humourous from the usual Dante and way too...cheeky and disrespectful.But the change was alright,like in DMC3-1.

These are attempts which are way too overdone and less balanced and true to how the character really is.

I feel like Dante has been over the years,an experiment of the producers who couldn't decide on how he really is.

I know change has to be done,but we are talking about an iconic figure in the gaming industry and you just can't change the character to see how much it appeals to a certain crowd of people so much without being so obvious.If people like the character the way it is then don't try to change it in such a obvious way to the point it doesn't make any sense. (Not to confuse with character development,I'm not talking about it).

Just try to set a certain personality and behaviour for a character,with some development,but try to stay true to his origins.

So,to me,the change from DMC3 to DMC1 was great but then they quite ruined the character in 4 and then 2.

How questionable is the change from 4 to 2 when it comes to personality? I know DMC2 wasn't so good and they tried to cover this mistake but failed to bring out the essence of Dante's character in 4.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Oh please. I'm not gonna sit here and let nostalgia screw me over to knowing when a character is messed up. And DMC4 Dunte is a leading example of both catering to fans instead of actually "creating" a character, and literally running out of style for a character who's suppose to be stylish.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think my main problem with Dante with DMC4/anime is that he had no real reason to be in these stories other than fanservice so I agree with Bazilican.

That doesn't mean he didn't have potential to be an interesting character just none of it was used.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I could call DMC4 Dante my favorite(It often switches between DMC3 and DMC4 Dante) because I liked his outfit and overall I just liked how much fun he was to play as, watch and listen to, DMC4 Dante did everything a video game character is supposed to do and that is what most modern video game characters are failing to do......be f**king entertaining!

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
I could call DMC4 Dante my favorite(It often switches between DMC3 and DMC4 Dante) because I liked his outfit and overall I just liked how much fun he was to play as, watch and listen to, DMC4 Dante did everything a video game character is supposed to do and that is what most modern video game characters are failing to do......be f**king entertaining!

in your opinion I presume?

But from a character critic who ask for actual entertainment in a character, DMC4 Dante was a shallow version of DMC3 Dante, who was mildly entertaining.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
As a reminder: DMC2 and DMC4 dante are both roughly the same age, or at least close enough where such a radical personality shift would be extremely difficult to rationalize. If DMC2 had done well DMC4 dante would be a grim character with all his belts on the outside of his jacket instead of on the inside. But it didn't, and that's why DMC4 dante is a totally different person than DMC2 dante, even though chronologically he should be well on his way to becoming him.

As far as getting stronger, fully embracing his demon side is actually the exact opposite of what dantes 3 and 4 are all about. The entire plot of DMC3 is vergil's quest to squash out his human side and become full demon, and dante triumphing by not doing that. In fact, it's a pretty huge part of dante's character growth over the course of the game (months ago I made a post going into more detail on it, it's here if you're curious). In DMC4 dante even rambles on at length about how he was able to beat an artificially created full demon because his human side gave him a hidden edge. Shelving his humanity and throwing aside his human weapons in order to gain a demonic edge is not something dante 3 or 4 would do. It's what vergil did, and dante kicked his ass. I would expect dante to know better after that

Oh gee I didn't know there was actual confirmation of Dante's age in DMC2 (and even DMC4) or the fact there is an official timeline that states the gap between each game. Do you have any evidence that states such well accepted and full proof statements? If so may you please provide them.

I'll get into that DMC3 thing (maybe in the actual thread).

So wouldn't that make DMC2 Dante more human than DMC3/4 Dante since in DMC2 he only uses man-made weapons such as guns, rocket launchers, and shotguns as well other swords and the only Devil Arm in that game was his own (at the time it wasn't even considered a Devil Arm) versus Dante in DMC3 & DMC4 who would pick up any demonic weapon and use its power....ohh gee..if Dante really thought humanity was so powerful he wouldn't have to rely on Devil Arms (basically another demons power) other than his own.

Morever, DMC2 Dante and Vergil is still drastically different in their ideology of getting stronger. Dante just got stronger by getting stronger in his own right, no stealing of any demonic god or legendary dark knight's power, he just accepted his role in the world as the Son of Sparda and became stronger to fill that legacy on his own with his own power, skills, and abilities by improving himself something akin to Ryu from SF and not do things the way Vergil did such as opening a portal to the demon world and dooming mankind to obtain HIS FATHER'S power and not develop HIS OWN strength. Dante got stronger through his own power while Vergil wanted someone else's power.

Furthermore, as for DMC2's DT, I don't see the problem here. So what in his DT form he grows some guns in hands and uses them he still keeps E&I and his other human firearms and uses them when not in DT. This is no different than using his demonic wings to fly/glide, shoot lightning bolts from his hands (DMC3), and such. The fact he uses Devil Trigger in he first place nullifies this fact of him not looking to his demon side for strength.

As for Dante's DMC4 lecture to Agnus he never said his human side gave him the edge, he directly told Agnus, Agnus lost because he (AGNUS) threw away his humanity (soul/purpose) for power and he lost because of that and in that same speech Dante even acknowledges that demons are far superior to humans when it comes to stats. It is true that Dante thinks very highly of humans and he treasures humanity but he never said he despises his demonic side and if he did he got over it in DMC1/the anime. Vergil on the other hand hated his human side and thought it made him weak Dante obviously didn't care or thought both his demon side and human side gave him the edge (demon side gives him the ability to do things humans can't do and fight demons on an even playing field while his human side gives him the edge over the demons).

Lastly, if Dante didn't rely on his demon side he wouldn't even be using Devil Trigger (a mode normal for demons) at all, a mode that turns him into a demon and makes him much stronger. Lets not forget the cutscene in DMC3 where Dante first awakened his devil powers by your logic Dante shouldn't have smiled because he awakened his demonic powers and started showing off because he got stronger because of it. If anything he felt pretty ecstatic that he awakened his demon side.

Ergo Dante values his demon side (maybe not as much as his human side) but from a combat sense he needs his demon side as much if not more than his human side and he knows it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom