• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Does anyone hate this Dante ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Oh gee I didn't know there was actual confirmation of Dante's age in DMC2 (and even DMC4) or the fact there is an official timeline that states the gap between each game. Do you have any evidence that states such well accepted and full proof statements? If so may you please provide them.

weren't we told by Hideaki Itsuno that DMC2 dante is in his early 40's and DMC4 dante is in his mid 30's? i just remember hearing that. when i find the article i'll give you a link

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
weren't we told by Hideaki Itsuno that DMC2 dante is in his early 40's and DMC4 dante is in his mid 30's? i just remember hearing that. when i find the article i'll give you a link

Find this link please I no of no such info.

The only thing I know of DMC4 Dante's age is that he is apparently 30 by Kobayashi who says DMC4 is a year after DMC1 and Dante was 28 in that one.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Find this link please I no of no such info.

The only thing I know of DMC4 Dante's age is that he is apparently 30 by Kobayashi who says DMC4 is a year after DMC1 and Dante was 28 in that one.

a year? ok then. i'll let you know as soon as i find it.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600

Agnus asks dante "why are demons superior" and dante's reply is "humans possess something that demons don't". Dante shoots agnus before revealing the big secret, but that doesn't change the fact that he truly believes his humanity is what gives him his edge. His choice of weapon should make this even more clear: sparda(weapon) allows dante to take on sparda's full demon form. Yet he consistently chooses rebellion over sparda.

Even if he's wrong and becoming a full demon would actually make him more effective in combat, his belief in humanity is what makes him dante. It's the DMC equivalent of the force: arguably dante could be more powerful if he "went to the dark side", but he believes it won't and chooses not to (and just like the star wars analogy, we aren't entirely clear how being human is actually an advantage over force choking dudes and shooting lightning from your fingers). Arguing that this choice isn't a gigantic part of his character just because "he would probably be stronger the other way" is idiotic and missing the point.

Additionally, dante's devil trigger is not a full demon transformation, as you mistakenly believe it to be. While his resting state is almost entirely human, his devil trigger is an even halfway of demon and human, where he retains most of his human characteristics and still relies on weapons to fight. If you want to see what full demon dante looks like, DMC2 dante is the only one to have a secondary devil trigger that brings him to a full demon form, where he abandons all weapons in favor of shredding his enemies with his claws and vaporizing the rest with demonic energy blasts (sith dante).

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Agnus asks dante "why are demons superior" and dante's reply is "humans possess something that demons don't". Dante shoots agnus before revealing the big secret, but that doesn't change the fact that he truly believes his humanity is what gives him his edge. His choice of weapon should make this even more clear: sparda(weapon) allows dante to take on sparda's full demon form. Yet he consistently chooses rebellion over sparda.

Even if he's wrong and becoming a full demon would actually make him more effective in combat, his belief in humanity is what makes him dante. It's the DMC equivalent of the force: arguably dante could be more powerful if he "went to the dark side", but he believes it won't and chooses not to (and just like the star wars analogy, we aren't entirely clear how being human is actually an advantage over force choking dudes and shooting lightning from your fingers). Arguing that this choice isn't a gigantic part of his character just because "he would probably be stronger the other way" is idiotic and missing the point.

Additionally, dante's devil trigger is not a full demon transformation, as you mistakenly believe it to be. While his resting state is almost entirely human, his devil trigger is an even halfway of demon and human, where he retains most of his human characteristics and still relies on weapons to fight. If you want to see what full demon dante looks like, DMC2 dante is the only one to have a secondary devil trigger that brings him to a full demon form, where he abandons all weapons in favor of shredding his enemies with his claws and vaporizing the rest with demonic energy blasts (sith dante).

Well Rebellion is still classified as a Devil Arm but its his own unique Devil Arm made for him.

Funny thing was that after he obtained Sparda (Force Edge) from Vergil he in fact used it over his own sword where at the end of DMC3 he was shown with it as his new main sword over Rebellion (especially using it as alt DMC1 costume). He used it in DMC1 and Rebellion was never shown in DMC1 (although it could be due to Kamiya not thinking of it then) and Dante in fact switches back to Rebellion after he gave Sparda to Trish and he didn't use Sparda in DMC4 because the bad guys had it....thanks to Trish.

The dark side analogy is a bad one for Jedis use their Jedi powers regardless and train to hone their Jedi skills and become more efficient Jedi masters same thing as Dante. He made himself stronger by improving his devil abilities that he unlocked in DMC3. He didn't join the bad guys, take any performance enhancement drugs, or followed in Vergil's path. Joining the dark side is more joining an allegiance of Jedis, who are evil for power or better yet easy power. By this logic, Luke training with Yoda to master and improve his force abilities so he can match Darth Vaders is practically him joining the dark side and that all Jedis are bad for learning the force and getting better at it.

So by declaring that embracing his demon side that Dante is joining the dark side that your insinuating that all demons are bad so Trish, Lucia, and even Credo (who turned himself into a demon) are bad despite being able to show love, remorse, sadness, and crying as well as the need to protect others.

So by that means Nero is joining the dark side. I mean Dante said he and Nero are the same and that he is different from the demons (implying he carries the same emotional drive and humanity that sets him, Dante, above the demons) but Nero is the same kid who not only says he wanted "MORE POWER" but will become a full demon to get it all to protect someone and when Nero was heading towards Sanctus but Dante didn't stop him or give him a lecture that "Demonic power is bad mmmkay", "Wanting to become a demon for the sake of power is also bad mmmkay" but no he didn't. He instead let Nero go to save Kyrie because he sensed that Nero's will to protect those he love (HUMANITY) despite embracing demonic power to do so and sensed that he has a strong sense of justice and humanity just like him and doing this for the right intentions (versus most demons and villainous humans in this series).

So can you site where Dante states that he refuses to embrace his demonic side and that despite it making him stronger he turned it down because everytime that Dante unlocks a new demonic power he does or says nothing about it and instead proceed to shows it off. Plus the situations where Dante turned down demonic power (only in DMC3) was because it was at the risk of mankind's fate so its more of risking mankind for power and the answer was pretty obvious for the main hero to turn down power for the safety of the human race (the irony is that the power was Sparda's power or his sword which Dante shortly uses after he defeats Vergil).

Your kind of missing the point, where as Dante ever said he will never embrace his demon side and acquire more demonic power (because all I ever see him do is get new demonic power ups each game in the form of Devil Arms, which are NOT human made weapons but demonic ones, and lets not forget obtaining new demonic abilities such as Doppelganger and Quicksilver and even using it in DMC3).

What is Dante's defining characteristic is NOT that he turns down demonic power because he is too human for it (especially his own otherwise he wouldn't be using Rebellion but human made swords since Rebellion is a manifestation of his own demonic powers, or pump demonic energy into his guns or use other Devil Arms and abilities he gets from demons) its what he is fighting for which is for mankind and his fellow human brethren and his humanity comes in the form of a strong purpose to fight for others and will become stronger, if needed, to do so versus other demons who become stronger for the sake of power and domination. Meaning he will slay any demon, obtain any Devil Arm, gain any new upgrade, and even go full demon to protect his loved ones and mankind.

This goes into Sparda's legacy where even Nero considers Sparda in a way "human" because he, a demon, can also love a human and that was why Sanctus couldn't harness Sparda's full power because he lacked the humanity (or the human power) to do so. Sparda's legacy even said he opened his eyes to justice and embraced his humanity (cause demons can have one too) but in turn used his vast demonic power to defeat Mundus and his army and seal away the demon world.

Humanity isn't something seclusive to humans for Dante (as well as Nero) has considered full demons (Lucia, Trish, Sparda) humans or more human than demon.

As for the topic of the Majin Form I'll cover that later. I'm beat for time.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
actually yes, I can "site" where dante willingly leaves demonic power behind.
Ne7yBjw.jpg

That thing on the wall behind dante allows him to become a full demon; he used that very same weapon to go toe-to-toe with a fully powered mundus and win, something even his father couldn't do. If acquisition of power is so important to him, why is he leaving it behind? Your 11 paragraph appeal to emotion was heartfelt, but ultimately facts take precedence over whining, and your theory has no more legs left to stand on. Sorry, the quest for power will never be dante's thing, no matter how long your posts get.

even vergil agrees with my assessment

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
dmc4 is my favorite version of him he toys with every enemy and nero so i think he is a legend plus once you master j'cing guard flying starrave cancels etc his aerial capabilities are huge and it makes you feel like a god as you leave enemies and bosses utterly helpless and make a mockery of em so he is my favorite followed by dmc3 dante and then dmc1

DanteTheJester

That devil hunting douche who married a pizza.
In DMC3, he would've died had his DT powers not activated. Vergil ran him through twice. He was pretty much dead at that point, if not from the trauma itself, then from the subsequent blood loss.
That's not really a hole in the plot. Just his chest. And it's more like plot progression. A plot hole is Dante being there and not sneezing his way into the Savior to get the kid out of there. He could have. But didn't. Even though the Savior would have probably gotten stronger. He's cocky, wants a challenge, but isn't retarded.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
That's not really a hole in the plot. Just his chest. And it's more like plot progression. A plot hole is Dante being there and not sneezing his way into the Savior to get the kid out of there. He could have. But didn't. Even though the Savior would have probably gotten stronger. He's cocky, wants a challenge, but isn't retarded.

Dude I wrote that a year ago, I have no idea what I was talking about now.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I looooovee DMC4 Dante.
Even though I absolutely hated him in the beginning (for all the right reasons), I do love him. He's a lot more bearable than DMC3 Dante, to me anyway.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Hate him? No way, it's the one I like the most! Fun as never before! Also, you could tell that Reuben Langdon really got the hang of the character at the time he was shootin DMC4. If I were there, I would have clapped all the time. Great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom