• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Do you think Ninja Theory/Capcom is REALLY worried about sales?

Is NT/Capcom worried about the upcoming sales of DmC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neccowells

I just recently thought about this, and I had to post it as a thread. I really want to know if NT/Capcom are biting their nails, and gritting their teeth, worrying about the sales of DmC. NT put their hearts and souls into this game. It was intrusted to them by the iconic gaming company, Capcom. If this games sales terribly, NT wasted 3 years of their lives and possibly destroy their reputation. I honestly have faith, but the question is "Do THEY have faith?"

JoshMoshes

DMC Aficionado
I'm pretty sure Capcom is worried.
Ninja Theory obviously doesn't care. Tameem Antoniades already said so:
http://www.8bitfix.com/content/tameem-antoniades-doesn-t-care-if-dmc-sells-4605/

Lumping them into the same subject would be hard to choose seeing that Ninja Theory is already getting praise and got paid while Capcom benefits from whatever rolls in.

Capcom is obviously worried since RE6 didn't meet their expectations.Ninja Theory has gotten much praise from the current state of gaming media and journalism so they're ready to work on whatever comes next.

Devil Player

Yeah, if someone is worried, it's probably Capcom.

Ninja Theory was already paid by Capcom to make and produce DmC. So, NT won't see a penny from sales. It's all Capcom now. Besides, like Josh said, NT has been getting a lot of praise and good critics, something that Capcom obviously hasn't seen for a very long time, lol.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
If this games sales terribly, NT wasted 3 years of their lives and possibly destroy their reputation
They haven't wasted 3 years. They have learned from Capcom how to improve combat mechanics and combat style.

I also don't think 1 game could destory their reputation. Sure, the DMC brand is big, but it's not going to wreck them if it flops. All Ninja Theory did was accept a contract from Capcom to desgin and make a game. That's what they do, they make games.
NT have other projects lined up for the future, so it's not the end for them.

neccowells

I'm pretty sure Capcom is worried.
Ninja Theory obviously doesn't care. Tameem Antoniades already said so:
http://www.8bitfix.com/content/tameem-antoniades-doesn-t-care-if-dmc-sells-4605/

Lumping them into the same subject would be hard to choose seeing that Ninja Theory is already getting praise and got paid while Capcom benefits from whatever rolls in.

Capcom is obviously worried since RE6 didn't meet their expectations.Ninja Theory has gotten much praise from the current state of gaming media and journalism so they're ready to work on whatever comes next.[/.
quotSo NT has already been paid off? They lack of sales can still tarnish their reputation as a gaming company, which will affect their future games. Capcom may not be too worried, but the DMC franchise is one of their biggest franchises

JoshMoshes

DMC Aficionado
They haven't wasted 3 years. They have learned from Capcom how to improve combat mechanics and combat style.

I also don't think 1 game could destory their reputation. Sure, the DMC brand is big, but it's not going to wreck them if it flops. All Ninja Theory did was accept a contract from Capcom to desgin and make a game. That's what they do, they make games.

Definitely this. DmC is a decent game at best. I doubt this'll be another HudsonSoft accident. We all know what happened to the Bomberman studio after what they did...:troll:

Ninja Theory might cook up much better games now in the future after collaborating with Capcom. Even before DmC, I enjoyed Enslaved and Heavenly Sword was average, but their titles were lacking undeniably to feel top tier in quality.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
If Capcom was really worried, they'd have pulled the plug already after teh massive outcry that happened in 2010 when we first saw the teaser. Considering this has been at Capcom directive that NT drifted away from the safe bet of DMC Classic's style and forging DmC's own...yeah, Capcom is aware of what the risks are and accepted them.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
NT has already been paid off? They lack of sales can still tarnish their reputation as a gaming company, which will affect their future games.
That's what the contract entailed. They pay NT for the work beforehand and fund them for whatever they need.

The only party being affected by sales will be Capcom. NT have completed their part of the contract. Now it's up to Capcom to market the game so that it sells.

Blacko

They are worried because the game seems really great and NT probably fed up to see the usual haters.

Devil Player

Yeah, NT can update their curriculum vitae, to include that they have previously worked with Capcom. XD

I thought they would pull the plug after the 2010 trailer. However, they kept their plan and went ahead. It take hard balls to do such a thing. Good thing is that we'll have the chance to play such gold game. XD

Regarding sales, Capcom will earn money even from those who won't buy DmC. That's why Capcom released DMC HD collection. We can always pretend that the HD collection's sales are mostly from people who won't buy DmC. So, they're already counting on that, lol. No matter what they do, Capcom will always win money, I guess.

neccowells

but you forget, people would always use references from NT previous games (Heavenly Sword and Enslaved), saying they weren't very good games and Capcom is insane for putting the DMC franchise in their hands. NT may have been paid already, but sales could still have an affect on them as a whole. If NT took one of the biggest gaming franchises, and turned it into **** after one game, people wouldn't even second glance their future games. I love this game, I still play the demo to this day, but people hated this game due to the fact that NT was making it.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
saying they weren't very good games and Capcom is insane for putting the DMC franchise in their hands.
Does it matter what those people think? They are not working for Capcom, and they do not get to call the shots. Whatever happens, the outcome is solely down to choices made by Capcom.

If NT took one of the biggest gaming franchises, and turned it into **** after one game, people wouldn't even second glance their future games.
NT did as Capcom asked. They did make a design of Dante that was like the classic one, but Capcom told them it was not what they wanted. When Capcom hired NT they wanted NT for their Western design and style.
Capcom is to blame for hiring NT and asking them to change the style so much.

8BitHero

Scrub
To yes or no would mean I have evidence/research/a source to back up what I say but since I don't I can't say. What I do know is that developers always hope that their game sells well.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
but you forget, people would always use references from NT previous games (Heavenly Sword and Enslaved), saying they weren't very good games and Capcom is insane for putting the DMC franchise in their hands. NT may have been paid already, but sales could still have an affect on them as a whole. If NT took one of the biggest gaming franchises, and turned it into **** after one game, people wouldn't even second glance their future games. I love this game, I still play the demo to this day, but people hated this game due to the fact that NT was making it.

NT is touted for their great presentation style, and that's why Capcom hired them, because they wanted to make a DMC with better narrative and presentation. People cite Enslaved and Heavenly Sword for being bad games, but seemingly ignore how DmC is made as a collaboration, and they constantly talk about how Capcom lets NT do what they do best - story presentation, while being exceedingly hands on in the combat department, which Capcom does best.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
People cite Enslaved and Heavenly Sword for being bad games, but seemingly ignore how DmC is made as a collaboration, and they constantly talk about how Capcom lets NT do what they do best - story presentation, while being exceedingly hands on in the combat department, which Capcom does best.
That is very true. Besides, the two games were liked for the visuals and the style (which is what NT is good at), but the games were flat on combat.
So, like you say, NT and Cpacom had a creative exchange.

neccowells

Does it matter what those people think? They are not working for Capcom, and they do not get to call the shots. Whatever happens, the outcome is solely down to choices made by Capcom.

NT did as Capcom asked. They did make a design of Dante that was like the classic one, but Capcom told them it was not what they wanted. When Capcom hired NT they wanted NT for their Western design and style.
Capcom is to blame for hiring NT and asking them to change the style so much.
Actually it does matter what they think, they are the consumers, and the game is the product. They're opinions may be insignificant, but if they choose not to buy the game is a big deal. I know for a fact who call the shots, thats why its a problem to them if their biggest game franchise goes downhill. The Resident Evil franchise is obviously not doing to well, Street fighter is hanging in there, DmC's sales is a big concern.

JoshMoshes

DMC Aficionado
Actually it does matter what they think, they are the consumers, and the game is the product. They're opinions may be insignificant, but if they choose not to buy the game is a big deal. I know for a fact who call the shots, thats why its a problem to them if their biggest game franchise goes downhill. The Resident Evil franchise is obviously not doing to well, Street fighter is hanging in there, DmC's sales is a big concern.

How is RE6 not doing well? It sold over 3 million copies.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Actually it does matter what they think, they are the consumers, and the game is the product. They're opinions may be insignificant, but if they choose not to buy the game is a big deal. I know for a fact who call the shots
Companies have been known to carry on with or without public spending.
Capcom can always get more financial backing from their investors and recoup money from other sectors. What they are concerned about is investors getting back money that they put in, plus some profit.

I know for a fact who call the shots, thats why its a problem to them if their biggest game franchise goes downhill.
Sure, they might take a loss from DmC, but that is not certain. So long as Capcom continues to be profitable with other games, the backers will still fund them.
DmC is not the title that holds Capcom's future. Many other games and brands must be taken into account to determine the financial stability and future of the company.

Top Bottom