• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

dmc5 protaganist(s) should be...

Who should be protaganist(s)

• Trish/Lucia/Lady spin off (indivdual stories)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Nero

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Vergil (Vergil's Despair = prequel)

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Nero primarily we know a lot about Vergil compared to Nero and if Nero is linked to Vergil (his son) a Nero game can even answer the questions affiliated with Vergil if done right.

Plus Nero's gameplay style holds more promise or potential.

Besides all a Vergil game will do will more or less make those who hate on the Nero being Vergil's son theory even more stupid.

Kazuki Nanbu

maybe is a little to much but i would like a game with a campain per character (1 for Dante, 1 for Nero and 1 for....i don't know)

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Fail to see how having Dante star in DMC5 would be "bad for the series", especially considering he was already recently replaced in the latest 2 DMC games as lead character (DMC4 stared Nero and DmC was a reboot).

So really Dante IS Devil May Cry for me.

I would not say having Sonic star in a Sonic video game would ruin it or having Mario in a Mario video game would ruin it.

But If there had to be another lead for the next game my vote would be for Vergil or Sparda.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
Gotta go for Nero. Seriously, a new character introduced and then knocked off to the sidelines. Dude needs to see some more of the spotlight. With Dante as support of course.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Fail to see how having Dante star in DMC5 would be "bad for the series", especially considering he was already recently replaced in the latest 2 DMC games as lead character (DMC4 stared Nero and DmC was a reboot).

I would not say having Sonic star in a Sonic video game would ruin it or having Mario in a Mario video game would ruin it.

But If there had to be another lead for the next game my vote would be for Vergil or Sparda.

Lets not forget DMC2, although Dante was still in it and he was on the cover, Lucia mattered more to the overall plot. If she had the same amount of missions as Dante and was promoted as equally she might have been the main character to DMC2.

Plus the Sonic and Mario series are titled Sonic and Mario as its about them. DMC is not titled after Dante as Devil May Cry refers to the theme of the series being about hunting and fighting demons and conquering one's demons and the fact that Dante's shop is called Devil May Cry is irrelevant since in the DMC4 manga Nero at the end started his own demon hunting business called "Devil May Cry" (because Dante gave him one of his signs). So anyone could be a main character in this series especially if your linked to Sparda (Nero, Vergil, ???).

Actually the MegaMan series gave a non MegaMan character his own series/spin-off (Zero) and many fans of the MegaMan (mostly X) loved it and loved Zero more than they did X (granted they made X look like a total b*tch in the MegaMan Zero series) to just make Zero look cooler.

IncarnatedDemon

What would the story be for Dante in a dmc5?

Kill a random demon in human world thats become dangerous?
Go fight Mundus in hell ? Or if Mundus in human world? It would probably feel more like a placeholder than a real story.

Though i agree its not Devil May cry without Dante. Therefor i think capcom should do like dmc4, allow us to play as Dante as second character.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
What would the story be for Dante in a dmc5?

Kill a random demon in human world thats become dangerous?
Go fight Mundus in hell ? Or if Mundus in human world? It would probably feel more like a placeholder than a real story.

You can use that very same scenario for the other supposed protagonist you listed.

After all, most of them hunt Demons like Dante, so I fail to see what would be so different that would warrant Dante to set on the sideline.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Plus the Sonic and Mario series are titled Sonic and Mario as its about them. DMC is not titled after Dante

Perhaps a better example would be this,

Could you imagine a Halo game without staring Master Chief?

The game is not called Master Chief, but to many Master Chief is Halo itself and that is how I feel about Dante.

I'm open to other characters getting a shot, I would love to see a DMC game staring Vergil or Sparda, but all I was saying is that above all else I would rather see Dante as the lead.

IncarnatedDemon

Well yeah, but we've seen Dante alot (even though up and down story).
And his story was pretty much finished in 1.
While Vergil...we never have seen his story (original or dmc3vergil). We just saw Vergil through Dante's story.

But suppose Dante was the lead, what would the story be about?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I guess the problem with doing another game with Dante is that DMC4 and the anime made him unappealing as a character to me and if you want to do another DMC game with him you have to regain that appeal by find out how to make him a compelling character.

that could be done by actually pushing him and testing him as a character, letting him get his hands dirty rather than writing him with kid gloves on.

I think I would bring in Rhianna Pratchett to write the game if we do see that Trish/Lady/Lucia spinoff cause you need someone who can write good female leads.

Problem with a Sparda game is do you want to open Pandora's box?

Vergil became the breakout character of DMC3 and people do like anitheroes. I'm not against a Vergil prequel as it could give insight into his character plus it could be a chance to figure out what happened a year before DMC3. The manga sucks plus its incomplete so it could be a good plot thread.

If we do vergil sequels however then we should see Vergil after DMC1 dealing with being free after being brainwashed for years under mundus. Plus the demon world could be a fertile backdrop.

the problem with Nero is that he's not really loved with more people hating or unsure of him plus people seeing as a Dante/Vergil/Sparda derivative rather than being a unique character so i think finding out what makes him unique and different from the others is a priority.

the novel does put forth the theory that vergil is nero's dad but thats more of an assumption Sanctus made so you could tie Vergil to Nero's origins in a less cliche/obvious way.

Caiden

I say Nero. I know there are people that have problems with his character and his love interest but I in no way think they are BAD characters. They are just under developed. Capcom brought up a bunch of questions about Nero after just introducing him and then just sort of left them up in the air. Kyrie is less of her own character and more of a plot device. I think if we had a game more dedicated to the two of them it could be pretty good and we could possibly get two well developed characters.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
if DMC5 comes to fruition, i'd love to see either sparda as the main protagonist in a prequel or nero since he was set up in DMC4 (and he's kinda grown on me over the years)

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
Dante would be awesome continue the story after part two or add at least a female protagonist to the mix...

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Sparda would be the most interesting choice but it would have a different tone similar to darksiders or Lords of shadow, feeling a little more old school or archaic.

It could yield interesting gameplay options in terms of exploration or a chance to push more rpg elements like weapon forging etc.

As a character you have a lot of freedom since no one really knows who he is or what actually happened in any of his adventures.

Sparda is a legend and as Lt. J.G. Pliskin said " a legend is nothing but fiction. a story that one person tells another and they pass it on".

Top Bottom