• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

dmc5 protaganist(s) should be...

Who should be protaganist(s)

• Trish/Lucia/Lady spin off (indivdual stories)

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Nero

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Vergil (Vergil's Despair = prequel)

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I can't stand the character and I don't like his fighting style. The only thing I do like is the 'Devil Bringer'.

I can sort of relate to that, though I moderately like his character. He's more fleshed out than DMC3 and DMC4 Dante, and he slightly makes me think he's a mix between Dante and Vergil. I didn't enjoy his fighting style either: too slow, too few moves, and an overreliance on the Exceed move of the Red Queen.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I can sort of relate to that, though I moderately like his character. He's more fleshed out than DMC3 and DMC4 Dante, and he slightly makes me think he's a mix between Dante and Vergil. I didn't enjoy his fighting style either: too slow, too few moves, and an over-reliance on the Exceed move of the Red Queen.

Exactly.

IncarnatedDemon

I would like to know why, so if you want to share with me and others why we would appreciate it.
I mean what if i said "I dont like Vergil", and "I just dont like him".
You'd prolly be curious to know why :)

Anyway i found some art of original Vergil, which i wouldn't mind either in a dmc5, but that would be kinda a spin off slash reboot since dmc3 and original Vergil seem to have slight difference
dmc_art_contest_2011_by_ladysatarel-d420vkw.jpg

silent_prayer_by_lomendeon-d5usals.png

5c34254c64fa07798f3c4fa4cc34f433-d678aai.png

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
That last one was done by a member of the forum (Ieyasu, if anyone wanted to know).

Actually, I don't have to tell anyone why I don't like him, and I couldn't give a flying fudge If you didn't like him. At the end of the day, that's your opinion. (Sorry, but that's the truth.)

The convoluted way Nero was made Vergil's son is what p***es me off about Nero and his whole character. Why not make him Dante's kid, he's not exactly 'whiter than white' as a character what with being a 'ladies man' and all that. If being Vergil's son was such an important aspect, they should've kept that in the game and not written it in a book (they could've chopped something else from the game and kept that bit in there).

By the way if that makes me sound pathetic to anyone, it's ts... Vergil is my fave character like Dante is to others.

IncarnatedDemon

Ok, you don't like him because of Vergil's son thing.

Fine, no need to be so defensive. I wasn't being hostile. I simply said i would appreciate knowing why you dont like Nero if you feel like sharing it with us.
Because dialogue and understanding eachother is something i think is good.
And me disliking Vergil? That was just a example to illustrate to you why i want to know (if you dont mind) why you dont like Nero.
I like Vergil.

Anyway that last art is really awesome.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Ok, you don't like him because of Vergil's son thing.

Fine, no need to be so defensive. I wasn't being hostile. I simply said i would appreciate knowing why you dont like Nero if you feel like sharing it with us.
Because dialogue and understanding eachother is something i think is good.
And me disliking Vergil? That was just a example to illustrate to you why i want to know (if you dont mind) why you dont like Nero.
I like Vergil.

Anyway that last art is really awesome.

Well I can tell you why I don't like Nero;

Nero just does doesn't seem like he's ready to be a main character to a game like Devil May Cry. Most main characters we play as is usually a cocky dude who takes care of business with killing demons and not worrying about the possible loss of his girlfriend...and who doesn't really shed a tear when he actually does have the means to just get up, and go after the bad guy who stole your girl.

Of course I mean Dante. He's always been a Devil hunting badass who kills demons.

But Nero isn't like that. He's just a kid who happened to have the blood of Sparda flowing through his veins and comes off as that sterotypical "I'm a tough guy who doesn't want to be messed with" anime character that's been used time and time again. He doesn't come off as natural or that he's trying to hard to be a certain way. He was raised in a semi-comfortable life with the only difference being many people didn't like him and he preferred to work alone. But come on, "Ooh, I'm listening to music in a church because I'm too cool for school!" that's just trying to hard.

But at the end o it all, I just don't like Nero's character. I would better appreciate that attitude if he looked the part for the attitude, but he doesn't. He looks like every other fantasy character from anime and that annoys me. If he'd just act like any other stereotypical anime hero, then I'd be fine with it, but that attitude and not caring what anyone thinks...with the look that will cause attention anyway and your "charming good looks"...GTFO.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
"Daddy, why does mommy look like grandma?"

*dante and trish awkwardly look at eachother*
dante: um...
trish: well sweety. mommy was an evil clone designed to kill both daddy and uncle vergil, but after mommy met daddy, she fell in love and lived happily ever after.
dante: well...there were a few bumps we had down the road...
daughter: you mean like the bumps nero told me that you and kyrie had the other night. those were loud and went on all night.
*trish eyes dante with hate*
dante: i was just training her. thats all. I WAS JUST...
*trish grabs the sparda sword and charges at dante and chases him all across town*

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Nero just doesn't seem like he's ready to be a main character to a game like Devil May Cry. Most main characters we play as is usually a cocky dude who takes care of business with killing demons and not worrying about the possible loss of his girlfriend...and who doesn't really shed a tear when he actually does have the means to just get up, and go after the bad guy who stole your girl.

Not to disregard the rest of your post, as I can see that you dislike cliché anime characters, but I think this part is a good indicator of why some people don't like Nero. Most people (especially boys and sometimes men who have high testosterone levels) want to play as a badass who gets the job done in the first go, doesn't take s.hit from anybody, and will sometimes be the bully. He doesn't show many emotions like sadness, as he will be regarded as 'weak' or 'pathetic'. He has a typical 'manly man' stance, physically as well as mentally. There's a reason for WoW characters looking overly manly on one side and overly feminine on the other - Tauren female, etc: they all stand with one of their legs not too firmly on the ground, I think. This is a way to make them seem more feminine and more attractive to the lowest common denominator of gamers.

And yet, one of my favorite characters is Squall from Final Fantasy VIII; a slightly introverted, emotional person under a hard exterior. Or characters who just like to be funny, even in bad situations, like Irvine Kinneas. In the realm of Middle-Earth, I tend to like elves for their mastery of the bow, the sword and their general looks (don't want to play as an ugly, veiny, muscular bearded dwarf). I've actually attracted much hate for that, for some reason (even my best friend doesn't want to hear about it, even though he was the one who asked the question. I just answered it).
I didn't care much for Raiden in MGS2, but I didn't hate him at all, not like many gamers apparently do. There's probably more of those types of characters I can't remember at the moment.

But I don't know, maybe it's simply because the Japanese have the tendency to create effeminate characters who also happen to be badasses in terms of skills and power. I guess we all look for badassery, only on different levels, and we value certain levels unequally. I myself like characters who look assassin-like, who don't show off their muscles too much, who don't just storm into every situation, who have a way with words, etc.

DragonMaster2010

*dante and trish awkwardly look at eachother*
dante: um...
trish: well sweety. mommy was an evil clone designed to kill both daddy and uncle vergil, but after mommy met daddy, she fell in love and lived happily ever after.
dante: well...there were a few bumps we had down the road...
daughter: you mean like the bumps nero told me that you and kyrie had the other night. those were loud and went on all night.
*trish eyes dante with hate*
dante: i was just training her. thats all. I WAS JUST...
*trish grabs the sparda sword and charges at dante and chases him all across town*

Luffy-worth-it-meme.jpg

Not to disregard the rest of your post, as I can see that you dislike cliché anime characters, but I think this part is a good indicator of why some people don't like Nero. Most people (especially boys and sometimes men who have high testosterone levels) want to play as a badass who gets the job done in the first go, doesn't take s.hit from anybody, and will sometimes be the bully. He doesn't show many emotions like sadness, as he will be regarded as 'weak' or 'pathetic'. He has a typical 'manly man' stance, physically as well as mentally. There's a reason for WoW characters looking overly manly on one side and overly feminine on the other - Tauren female, etc: they all stand with one of their legs not too firmly on the ground, I think. This is a way to make them seem more feminine and more attractive to the lowest common denominator of gamers.

And yet, one of my favorite characters is Squall from Final Fantasy VIII; a slightly introverted, emotional person under a hard exterior. Or characters who just like to be funny, even in bad situations, like Irvine Kinneas. In the realm of Middle-Earth, I tend to like elves for their mastery of the bow, the sword and their general looks (don't want to play as an ugly, veiny, muscular bearded dwarf). I've actually attracted much hate for that, for some reason (even my best friend doesn't want to hear about it, even though he was the one who asked the question. I just answered it).
I didn't care much for Raiden in MGS2, but I didn't hate him at all, not like many gamers apparently do. There's probably more of those types of characters I can't remember at the moment.

But I don't know, maybe it's simply because the Japanese have the tendency to create effeminate characters who also happen to be badasses in terms of skills and power. I guess we all look for badassery, only on different levels, and we value certain levels unequally. I myself like characters who look assassin-like, who don't show off their muscles too much, who don't just storm into every situation, who have a way with words, etc.

^6 Pretty much this.

IncarnatedDemon

Actually when Trish was in danger, Dante reacted same way as Nero. As far as Nero being a bad ass concerned or not being right for role of being the protaganist, i think your wrong.
I mean would you say NTDante is not right for protaganist role just because he cares about Kat wellbeing?
Because most main characters are demon hunters who kill demons without worrying about loss of girlfriend right?

DragonMaster2010

Actually when Trish was in danger, Dante reacted same way as Nero.

That may be true, but at least Dante only cried once, meanwhile Nero's been crying and screaming for his girlfriend for the last half of the entire game.

Plus, at least Dante actually HAD Trish in his arms.

As far as Nero being a bad ass concerned or not being right for role of being the protaganist, i think your wrong.
I mean would you say NTDante is not right for protaganist role just because he cares about Kat wellbeing?
Because most main characters are demon hunters who kill demons without worrying about loss of girlfriend right?

With Dante, Kat wasn't his girlfriend, she was just someone Dante held close as a friend (the only one he's probably ever had) and only knew for a short period of time compared to Nero whose had both Kyrie and Credo for years.

DmC isn't suppose to follow the same protagonist flair as DMC, so in DmC, NTDante is the right protagonist...for DmC. If he was in DMC, then I'd really feel like he was out of place and didn't belong there.

And yes, I understand what your saying...but if Nero was really a badass, he would've not cried for Kyrie and would have been able to get to her. In fact, why not just use his devil bringer power to grab Kyrie? Probably because he might crush her so never mind that.

I just can't see Nero as a proper DMC protagonist for a DMC5.

IncarnatedDemon

I never said Kat was NTDante's gf. I thought you'd understand my point...that Kat is someone important similar to Kyrie.

As for reboot not following same protaganist flair? Really?
The guy was put into PSA instead of Dante, and you think the idea of NTDante was not to be like Dante?
A major point of dmc4 story was Nero going from feeling hopeless in saving Kyrie to him doing it.
Even Dante in first game felt hopeless when he fought Mundus.

DragonMaster2010

I never said Kat was NTDante's gf. I thought you'd understand my point...that Kat is someone important similar to Kyrie.

Not really, because like I said, Dante and Kat only knew each other for a few days, while Kyrie and Nero have known each other for years. Maybe that's why he cries for Kyrie.

As for reboot not following same protaganist flair? Really?
Yeah, really.
The guy was put into PSA instead of Dante, and you think the idea of NTDante was not to be like Dante?

So he's put in ONE crossover game, big whoop. I still say NTDante was good of a protagonist in DmC, but would be a bad choice in DMC.
A major point of dmc4 story was Nero going from feeling hopeless in saving Kyrie to him doing it.

Well it was told in a crappy way since he didn't do the best of job in saving her, and him ending up getting saved in the process.

Even Dante in first game felt hopeless when he fought Mundus.

Yeah...for the first few minutes.

IncarnatedDemon

1. My point was Kyrie is a important person to Nero in same way Kat is to NTDante. What is it you don't get? When Kat was in danger and got shot, NTDante screamed similar to Nero.
So where is the difference? Both girls are important to the protaganist. And both protaganist want to protect them.

2. There was more than NTDante taking what should be Dante's spot. Please don't make me list it, as it will save me headache.

3. Nero got help, it wasnt Dante who killed Sanctus it was Nero himself.
He got help, end of discussion.

That help was in form of Yamato sent to him by Dante. Just like how Sparda or Eva in reboot gave NTDante weapons, just like how Trish appeared and lended her power to Dante in 1.
In the end it was Nero who killed Sanctus, and he did a fine job.

Fine by me if you dont like Nero, but i dont see how Nero being protaganist is bad pick just bec. It will only be bad if capcom makes it bad by being lazy.

DragonMaster2010

1. My point was Kyrie is a important person to Nero in same way Kat is to NTDante. What is it you don't get? When Kat was in danger and got shot, NTDante screamed similar to Nero.
So where is the difference? Both girls are important to the protaganist. And both protaganist want to protect them.

The difference is that at least Nero had a means to save her, meanwhile NTDante literally couldn't do a thing to save her at all. And yes, Kat is important to NTDante as Kyrie is to Nero, but like I said, Kyrie and NEro have been together for years, and therefore have developed a deeper relationship that affects Nero if he lost her. Meanwhile, Dante's only known Kat for a few days, and holds her as more of an important friend then a girl friend like Nero does.

2. There was more than NTDante taking what should be Dante's spot. Please don't make me list it, as it will save me headache.

Too bad, because I still stand by what I said before. Whether you get a headache or not isn't my concern. Just accept it and move on or ignore this comment and be content.

3. Nero got help, it wasnt Dante who killed Sanctus it was Nero himself.
He got help, end of discussion.
That help was in form of Yamato sent to him by Dante. Just like how Sparda or Eva in reboot gave NTDante weapons, just like how Trish appeared and lended her power to Dante in 1.
In the end it was Nero who killed Sanctus, and he did a fine job.

And yes, that's why I say Nero's not a very good protagonist for DMC. In DMC1, Dante got Trish's power and fought Mundus still and in DMC3, Vergil HELPED (not save) Dante fight Arakam, and even in DmC, Dante and Vergil together fought Mundus (Of course Dante doing most of the saving near the end). But Nero was just a damsel in distress and waited until the real main character (Dante) broke him out of his vagina heart prison like he was Sleeping beauty.

Fine by me if you dont like Nero, but i dont see how Nero being protagonist is bad pick just bec. It will only be bad if capcom makes it bad by being lazy.

If you don't care about me not liking Nero, then you should be able to accept it as such. You have your opinion on Nero and I have mine.

IncarnatedDemon

You don't understand. If you dont like Nero, fine.
I wont tell you to stop not liking him.
But there is a difference between you not liking him and you argumenting for Nero not being right for a protaganist role.
Anyway if you think a good protaganist is one that doesn't need much help, then Nero is that strong at end of dmc4.

Dont bring up that because Nero received help he is a bad protaganist. If Dante wasn't the main character of dmc, Nero would have pulled himself out of whatever sh1t he was in.
But to give Dante a purpose, they made him support Nero.

But think about it...
Dante in dmc1 was struggling before Trish appeared against Mundus
Dante in dmc3 received backup from Vergil
Until NTVergil appeared Mundus in reboot was killing and destroying NTDante with his hands.
Why is it so big issue to you that a newly demonic character struggles and receives help in form of Yamato, but when other characters are receiving similar help...its ok?
Either way if you think Nero was to weak and was a "damsel in distress", hes certainly not that anymore. He defeated Sanctus who had alot of power.

Top Bottom