• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC5 Locations

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Seeing DMC 4, it's like the Vatican. In Italy.

What new locations will DMC do next?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Seeing DMC 4, it's like the Vatican. In Italy.

What new locations will DMC do next?
The thing is, Fortuna, while I'm sure is very Italy, we only saw about 2 to 3 city blocks of what you would call a European city. It's one singing hall, one plaza with a fountain, three rooms that hardly qualified as anything Italian, a couple of corridors and two rooftops. After that it pretty much leaves Fortuna and we only see back roads and the docks so it's not like they actually did a victorian town yet, only a few locations in one stage.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I didn't know Devil May Cry had genuine locations. Yeah, clearly it replicates certain themes of different countries and all that, but nothing that heavily implies where you actually are. I heard that Dante was supposed to be a mercenary in America (Not sure what part) and then other places like Mallet Island, Dumary Island, Fortuna City; all of these could exist anywhere.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Mallet Island, Dumary Island, Fortuna City; all of these could exist anywhere.
Funny thing about Mellet Island. Kamiya once talked about where it would be on a map, or, more specifically, he was asked about it. He said that if Mellet Island could be found in a map it would lose some of it's mystery. Since Mellet Island is the closest place to the demon realm on Earth every morning it appears somewhere else. While I'm sure the same isn't true for the other islands I agree that if you knew where these places were on a map they'd lose the certain mystery and intrigue. I know that a lot of people would call it 'bad writing' but honestly, is it really so terrible not knowing?

I didn't know Devil May Cry had genuine locations.
Sure. All of the games did. The castle on Mallet Island is based heavily on the architecture of Antoni Gaudí. Honestly, looking at the concept art for DMC2 I'd say London but the towns and city architecture in the actual game strikes me as German. DMC3 is a bit medieval but with some other styles I can't place, I don't think the Temen-ni-Gru has much in the way or real world reference. DMC4 always struck me as rather baroque more than Vatican but I never known what the Vatican qualifies as, never occurred to me to look it up.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
The locations in Dmc always are fictional, but based on real places. It would be weird to suddenly find Dante in New York or London. I kinda feel it would stepping on DmC's toes if it took place in the "real world".

But for Dmc5 I would like to see somewhere Brazillian, especially the carnival there.

aoshi

It never occured to me there was a pattern in architectural designs in DMC. Though my knowledge serves only as far as DMC 3 and 4. For italian references, I would compare it to an actual game with italian architecture itself such as Assassins creed 2 and i find very little reference as the church in the first scene and not connect any other area when compared to AC 2.For example, the snowy outers and a forest can be anywhere and not conform to a pattern.

In short, the city was controlled by demons such as echidna and Bael at the time of events. So architecturally, the design conformed to the way it could be controlled by demons. So i don't think there was an intentional motive to have a design pattern from real world rather than demand from the script to have demonic pattern to it.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
For italian references, I would compare it to an actual game with italian architecture itself such as Assassins creed 2

And why not comparing it to Italy itself?

Piazza del Vaticano:

vaticano.jpeg

Fortuna's cathedral's plaza:

2iqefpl.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Chiesa di San Ferdinando, in Bari:

2dhtiir.jpg

Fortuna Castle's Grand Hall:

latest

Vista of Milano:

2abed238-9c16-4e19-9b32-099edc2fa6ac..jpg

Vista of Fortuna:

latest

Montescaglioso, town near the one I live in:

montescaglioso_panorama.jpg

Fortuna, seen from the docks:

m8miqt.jpg

Santa Caterina Albanese:

panorama.jpg

Fortuna, seen from a lesser level (imagine bringing the camera way up):

2-tower.jpg

Milano, Corso Vercelli:

foto9.jpg

Fortuna street (sorry for small pic):

dmc4_mission_17_by_bafteam-d85dmag.jpg

Need I go on?

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
settings in 1, 2, 4, felt european/italian/mediterranian for me while 3 felt american..

for 5, i'm going with post-apocalyptic, yes, every game should go post-apocalyptic, NgngnGNnGgGuahauaHAHAhahaHaHaHhaa..

aoshi

Need I go on?

Well. some look derived from italian architecture.I'll give you that. I didn't entirely rule out it was never derived. What i meant was it probably wasn't intentional cuz DMC is a mythical world and was not to have an 'italian' setting.Like i said in earlier posts, there are levels like the forest and snowy outer areas that could be anywhere but italy.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
there are levels like the forest and snowy outer areas that could be anywhere but italy.

You sure?

The snowy areas are the ones that surround Fortuna Castle, and Fortuna Castle itself. Which bears a striking resemblance to the Duomo di Milano.

Fotolia-Duomo-di-Milano.jpg

latest

As for the forest area, the buildings there resemble a lot some of the ones you can find in places like Livorno.

livorno-pisa.jpg

latest

Obviously, those areas were also designed so that they bear the effects of their respective Hell Gates, that modified the landscape.

Top Bottom