• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC5 Locations

aoshi

You sure?

The snowy areas are the ones that surround Fortuna Castle, and Fortuna Castle itself. Which bears a striking resemblance to the Duomo di Milano.

Fotolia-Duomo-di-Milano.jpg

latest

I meant the areas where you fight frosts for the first time, the loop where you lower the bridge to the forest, the path you traverse under the moon light to fight berial, the place where you fight Blitz for the first time.

As for the forest area, the buildings there resemble a lot some of the ones you can find in places like Livorno.

livorno-pisa.jpg

latest

Obviously, those areas were also designed so that they bear the effects of their respective Hell Gates, that modified the landscape.

They don't resemble in a very "faithful reproduction" comparison. Are you honestly comparing a forest to a setting inside a city which you jus posted???

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
They don't resemble in a very "faithful reproduction" comparison. Are you honestly comparing a forest to a setting inside a city which you jus posted???

Forget the forest. The forest is just there cause of the Hell Gate's effect. I said "the buildings" inside the forest. The aesthetic of that building from that pic of DMC4 is very resembling to the style of the buildings in that pic of Livorno.

Also, nowhere I've said they went for a "faithful reproduction". They didn't reproduct any actual Italian building. It's not Assassin's Creed 2, where they had to do that cause the setting was actual Italy. I say that the style they went for when it comes to buildings in DMC4 is clearly inspired from Italian/Vatican architecture. Inspiration, not reproduction. They're not the same thing.

aoshi

Forget the forest. The forest is just there cause of the Hell Gate's effect. I said "the buildings" inside the forest. The aesthetic of that building from that pic of DMC4 is very resembling to the style of the buildings in that pic of Livorno.

Also, nowhere I've said they went for a "faithful reproduction". They didn't reproduct any actual Italian building. It's not Assassin's Creed 2, where they had to do that cause the setting was actual Italy. I say that the style they went for when it comes to buildings in DMC4 is clearly inspired from Italian/Vatican architecture. Inspiration, not reproduction. They're not the same thing.

And my point is it wasn't intentional to have an Italian setting but rather a diverse environment which rises the suspicion of its nature as to how once its snowy and the next area is with a different weather like the forest. Like rainy or sunny. Architectural choice would have depended on these diversities and italian references might have served the purpose at some points but not all.

But gotta admit, the comparisons you posted, didn't quite look comparable or the same. Inspired or not.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
And my point is it wasn't intentional to have an Italian setting

I find that very hard to believe.
Also, if with "Italian setting" you mean placing the game in actual Italy, of course that's not the case. Here nobody's saying that. Fortuna is merely inspired by Italy/Vatican. LOL for the love of god, its name is an Italian word! And the characters in the game have either Italian/ish or Latin/ish names: Gloria, Nero, Credo, Agnus, Sanctus, Kyrie.

Yeah I'm sure Italy/Vatican was not inspiration and it's all coincidence.
It's so blatantly obvious.

but rather a diverse environment which rises the suspicion of its nature as to how once it snowy and the next area is with a different weather like the forest.

That's because of the Hell Gates. The one in Fortuna castle generates cold, ice and snow, therefore the area surrounding it is snowy.
The one in the forest generates a climate suitable for a forest, therefore the vegetation took over the area.

In both those areas, that's not what they actually look like. Snow and forest are purely effects of the Hell Gates present there respectively. That's why the climate is so different in areas so close to each other. Demonic magic.

But gotta admit, the comparisons you posted, didn't quite look comparable or the same. Inspired or not.

LOL yeah, right. Whatever you say. Dunno what else to tell you, besides "Hey I'll buy you a plane ticket so that you can fly here and see for yourself".

aoshi

I find that very hard to believe.
Also, if with "Italian setting" you mean placing the game in actual Italy, of course that's not the case. Here nobody's saying that. Fortuna is merely inspired by Italy/Vatican. LOL for the love of god, its name is an Italian word! And the characters in the game have either Italian/ish or Latin/ish names: Gloria, Nero, Credo, Agnus, Sanctus, Kyrie.

Yeah I'm sure Italy/Vatican was not inspiration and it's all coincidence.
It's so blatantly obvious.

I meant it was 'unintentional' italian references and not "co-incidental" references.There's a difference. Devil may cry's origins are based on Dante Alleghiri's "Divine comedy". Now that's intentional reference.Do you have proof from the devs that designs from DMC 4 was purely inspired by italy.
Again , i didn't rule out the 'inspiration'. But i am saying not all of it have italian inspiration.

That's because of the Hell Gates. The one in Fortuna castle generates cold, ice and snow, therefore the area surrounding it is snowy.
The one in the forest generates a climate suitable for a forest, therefore the vegetation took over the area.

In both those areas, that's not what they actually look like. Snow and forest are purely effects of the Hell Gates present there respectively. That's why the climate is so different in areas so close to each other. Demonic magic.

Not jus the gates themselves, But demons too took control of it. In the later chapters we can see the castle blockaded with ice due to dagon's control which we clear by beating dagon.

LOL yeah, right. Whatever you say. Dunno what else to tell you, besides "Hey I'll buy you a plane ticket so that you can fly here and see for yourself".

Ha, Would love to fly to italy.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I meant it was 'unintentional' italian references.

Wow. How on Earth do you make buildings and landscapes bearing such a striking resemblance to Italy/Vatican, name the city and your characters after Italian and Latin names/words, and even name the last mission in Italian ("La Vita Nuova") without having Italy/Vatican in mind? It's impossible. You really need a flat out official statement for that? Dayum.

Not jus the gates themselves, But demons too took control of it.

Exactly.

Ha, Would love to fly to italy.

LOL then come. My spaceship could do the trick.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I'd agree that a lot of it takes inspiration from Italy. Obviously other parts of the World also. But it's like you said; inspiration, not reproduction. Nobody can say it is clearly set within Italy, even if visually it appears that way.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well. some look derived from italian architecture.I'll give you that. I didn't entirely rule out it was never derived. What i meant was it probably wasn't intentional cuz DMC is a mythical world and was not to have an 'italian' setting.Like i said in earlier posts, there are levels like the forest and snowy outer areas that could be anywhere but italy.
It was very intentional. Designers were sent to Vatican city and Istanbul to gather materials to design and base their backgrouds on in DMC 4. 1 had Kamiya and his team going to Spain to take pictures to use both as reference and use as textures in game. Now, as to whether or not these games take place in the nations that their architecture is based upon, well, Dante does refer to the inhabitants of the castle as 'castellans' so at the very least it was a Spanish island at one point but the people of Fortuna are not Italian, they don't speak the language nor do they have Italian accents, they have american ones. I thought it was obvious but I guess it has to be explained; Fortuna is based on Vatican city because they are both cities based on a religion, it was the obvious real world parallel so they just turn it real religion to a DMC based one.

Last edited:

aoshi

It was very intentional. Designers were sent to Vatican city and Istanbul to gather materials to design and base their backgrouds on in DMC 4. 1 had Kamiya and his team going to Spain to take pictures to use both as reference and use as textures in game. Now, as to whether or not these games take place in the nations that their architecture is based upon, well, Dante does refer to the inhabitants of the castle as 'castellans' so at the very least it was a Spanish island at one point buy the people of Fortuna are not Italian, they don't speak the language nor do they have Italian accents, they have american ones. I thought it was obvious but I guess it has to be explained; Fortuna is based on Vatican city because they are both cities based on a religion, it was the obvious real world parallel so they just turn it real religion to a DMC based one.

By 'unintentional', I mean fortuna not being italy itself. As explained before, it was an inspiration than reproduction. 'Unintentionally' meaning fortuna not equal to italy but resembles italy and has something to do with religion.

berto

I Saw the Devil
By 'unintentional', I mean fortuna not being italy itself. As explained before, it was an inspiration than reproduction. 'Unintentionally' meaning fortuna not equal to italy but resembles italy and has something to do with religion.
I see. But unintentional implies that it wasn't on purpose, accidental, even. That's what's causing the confusion. The visual similarities are very intentional so when you say it like that it leaves us scratching our heads. We get it, though, it's not the resemblance that was unintentional but rather that the architecture was evidence of a place in the map. Why, though? Did anyone make that assumption?

aoshi

I see. But unintentional implies that it wasn't on purpose, accidental, even. That's what's causing the confusion. The visual similarities are very intentional so when you say it like that it leaves us scratching our heads. We get it, though, it's not the resemblance that was unintentional but rather that the architecture was evidence of a place in the map. Why, though? Did anyone make that assumption?

Yeah, by Unintentional, I meant fortuna was not indeed italy reconstructed but rather is a city built for a super-natural game. So comparing it to italy will hit dead ends since there's nothing about italy in DMC 4 and lets face it, DMC is a mythical world. Architecturally, It can take inspiration from any where since its a mythical world and does not really conform to real world. However, DMC 4 still takes inspiration from italy. And hence me co-relating it to being 'unintentional'.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I think we should move on from the DMC 4 - Italy thing, since we're going around in circles.

Let's concentrate on what other locations we'd like to see.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think we should move on from the DMC 4 - Italy thing, since we're going around in circles.

Let's concentrate on what other locations we'd like to see.

French catacombs:
Hfmf19j.jpg

Edit: You know what? Never mind. Everyone and their grandma are using the French labyrinths, I want something more unique.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Eeehhh I mean, I can't see anybody do aerial combos in there...
:laugh: You're not supposed to copy exactly what the setting is, you just take inspiration and build the stage with the aesthetics of that place in mind.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
:laugh: You're not supposed to copy exactly what the setting is, you just take inspiration and build the stage with the aesthetics of that place in mind.

Right, right. But DMC3 already had something along those lines, didn't it? I think it was the room where you find the Crystal Skull to get to Vergil in Mission 7.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Right, right. But DMC3 already had something along those lines, didn't it? I think it was the room where you find the Crystal Skull to get to Vergil in Mission 7.
Yeah. That's why edited that post. Not just DMC3 but those catacombs got a bit of a fame boost a few years ago and they are all over the place. I want something more unique for the settings than the stuff that was in a bunch of bad summer horror movies.

Edit: Thinking about it, I always liked some of the settings in Shadows of the Damned and the Evil Within. There are some sufficiently fascinating places in those games.
[Around 14:20]

Last edited:
Top Bottom