• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC3SE Vergil VS DMC4SE Vergil

Ryu Yamato

Absolution
I was just wondering. Which do you prefer? Vergil's moveset from DMC3 or DMC4? Subtle differences can make a whole lotta difference. Right?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Vergil in both is hard to get used to. The no double jump is a pain and it's less than ideal when the teleport will go up only if there are no enemies to teleport to in combat in DMC4. DMC4's is also ridiculously overpowered but he has a better moveset which is why I tend to go with DMC4's Vergil. I like the look, balance, and overall layout of DMC3's but the moveset wins it for 4.

DanteSparda08

The mind is stronger than any muscle in your body.
DMC4SE vergil, has better moveset and looks hotter, I think he is faster too.

I'm having a hard time adjucting to the Judgement Cut in DMC 4:SE because it feels like it was downgraded from DMC 3:SE's counterpart where you shoot the orbs instead which is more impactful.

Don't get me started on Judgement Cut End because it feels cheap and nasty to use...Yes it does a lot of Damage but if Vergil ever saw himself using that move in a VideoGame depicting his moveset...he'd feel cheated and desrespected too.

Vergil is a person who knows how to be stylish and move fast, not act all be flashy and show off...afterall he's prideful.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Vergil is a person who knows how to be stylish and move fast, not act all be flashy and show off...

This is not entirely true. He does like to show off (although not as much as Dante) his skills and he is flashy. In the fight against Arkham, he does all those swinging around movements with Rebellion like Dante does with Yamato, and even during the final showdown, to get in postition, waves Force Edge over his head. And just like Dante when acquires a new weapon, he did do a show off when he got Beowulf.
Cool and flashy movements are in his character as well.

When he fights, he does it swiftly but also in a very visually cool way, for example that upside down flip when he fights Dante and Lady at the same time.

When it comes to JCE, I don't see it as an out of character move at all. In fact, it's pretty true to his character. It's a move that's suited for groups, and when he fights groups, he does it quickly and so that the fight can be over soon, moving around at lightning speed.
The best show off for this is his intro in DMC3SE, where he fights the Abyss. Almost the entire scene is in slow motion, with only a few super fast moments when he hits or makes a transition to another enemy. If the scene was all shot in normal speed, you would see him moving around and hitting lightning fast.

In gameplay, yeah it is kinda cheap to use it to clear groups, but it's not out of character at all. When it comes to Aerial Rave and Rapid Slash though (well, basically all his moves whose animations are borrowed from DmC Vergil)... that's another story.

Last but not least, as far as in-character movements are concerned, when it comes to Vergil, for me a very important thing to nail is the sheathing animations. And there are no two ways about it, those animations in DMC4SE are spot on and more vary.

Anyway, gameplay wise, it should be obvious that DMC4SE's is the superior version. While it's more overpowered, it's also deeper and with more advanced mechanics to master.

Last edited:

DanteSparda08

This is not entirely true. He does like to show off (although not as much as Dante) his skills and he is flashy. In the fight against Arkham, he does all those swinging around movements with Rebellion like Dante does with Yamato, and even during the final showdown, to get in postition, waves Force Edge over his head. And just like Dante when acquires a new weapon, he did do a show off when he got Beowulf.
Cool and flashy movements are in his character as well.

When he fights, he does it swiftly but also in a very visually cool way, for example that upside down flip when he fights Dante and Lady at the same time.

When it comes to JCE, I don't see it as an out of character move at all. In fact, it's pretty true to his character. It's a move that's suited for groups, and when he fights groups, he does it quickly and so that the fight can be over soon, moving around at lightning speed.

The best show off for this is his intro in DMC3SE, where he fights the Abyss. Almost the entire scene is in slow motion, with only a few super fast moments when he hits or makes a transition to another enemy. If the scene was all shot in normal speed, you would see him moving around and hitting lightning fast.

In gameplay, yeah it is kinda cheap to use it to clear groups, but it's not out of character at all. When it comes to Aerial Rave and Rapid Slash though (well, basically all his moves whose animations are borrowed from DmC Vergil)... that's another story.

Last but not least, as far as in-character movements are concerned, when it comes to Vergil, for me a very important thing to nail is the sheathing animations. And there are no two ways about it, those animations in DMC4SE are spot on and more vary.

Anyway, gameplay wise, it should be obvious that DMC4SE's is the superior version. While it's more overpowered, it's also deeper and with more advanced mechanics to master.

Ok I guess I got it wrong about Vergils character in the end so thank you for correcting me, I needed another person to put some difficult matters into a new perspective...

Thank you for that I appreciate it.

The Judgement Cut in DMC4:SE looks like Slash Dimension rather than the original Judgement Cut from 3:SE and comparing them between one another I'd still say the Orb version looks more deadly because they cut and explode on ****act! Not to mention in 3:SE Vergil seems to launch multiple hits rather than a single one you see in 4:SE...but the Just Frame Judgement Cut comes of as odd and out of place.

I do miss Ariel Rave a lot because of how you could mix it with other moves on the fly.

But.....

but

but

but

but

but, but, but, but, but.........BUT

I just can't get my head around Judgement Cut End...my mind glitches and have difficulty making sense of it...it looks impossibly brilliant and good to look at but I just don't quite understand it...if anyone can help me make sense of it that would be great...and Yes you explained it effortlessly! However how can Vergil split himself into clones that's what I'm having problems with...help....

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
The Judgement Cut in DMC4:SE looks like Slash Dimension rather than the original Judgement Cut from 3:SE and comparing them between one another I'd still say the Orb version looks more deadly because they cut and explode on ****act!

Hey dude, I'm with you there. I would have loved it if they made that effect return. However if you play on PC check the mod section here, I posted one from Infernal Works that brings back the old space distortion effect from DMC3.

However how can Vergil split himself into clones that's what I'm having problems with...help....

XD the concept they went for is not that he splits into clones. The idea is that Vergil moves so damn fast it looks like there are multiple copies of himself all over the place at the same time. They're like afterimages.

DanteSparda08

Hey dude, I'm with you there. I would have loved it if they made that effect return. However if you play on PC check the mod section here, I posted one from Infernal Works that brings back the old space distortion effect from DMC3.

XD the concept they went for is not that he splits into clones. The idea is that Vergil moves so damn fast it looks like there are multiple copies of himself all over the place at the same time. They're like afterimages.

Can you post a Link for the distortion effect from Infernal Works please if you have the time...I need to see this for myself please...

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Can you post a Link for the distortion effect from Infernal Works please if you have the time...I need to see this for myself please...

It's in the DMC4 Mods section in this very forum, but... okay.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/5868005/1/

N4yDQKH.jpg

DanteSparda08

It's in the DMC4 Mods section in this very forum, but... okay.

http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/5868005/1/

N4yDQKH.jpg

Woah now those effect mods look sexy hmmmmm hahahahahahahah

Warp Warp Warp it up

Gold slashes look creamy

Purple Summoned Swords look mouthwatering

Dark Red Cuts...Hot damn

Strawberry Red...hmmmmmmmmmmm I'm going to go and get me some Ben and Jerry's Ice cream dammit.

White Blue...........instant brainfreeze

Shadow Red.......I think I'm in Love......

Dark Blue........Gave me chills.

No video...........dammit

Darkstar Darin

The Badass In Black
Judgment Cut End = Maximum Vergil. (MvC humor)
DMC4SE narrowly wins it for me because of the Yamato and Force Edge movesets but I ALMOST hate the Beowulf moveset.

Ryu Yamato

Absolution
Judgment Cut End = Maximum Vergil. (MvC humor)
DMC4SE narrowly wins it for me because of the Yamato and Force Edge movesets but I ALMOST hate the Beowulf moveset.
What's so bad about the new Beowulf moveset?
(Srry I really suck at DMC so I'm oblivious to this kind of stuff)

berto

I Saw the Devil
Vergil has a some of Dante's moves and it bothers me because it doesn't make sense to me.
Aside from them been twins and how often identical ones tend to be weirdly alike even when they've never met, they were trained to fight by their father and they even spared together as children, not that hard to believe.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Aside from them been twins and how often identical ones tend to be weirdly alike even when they've never met, they were trained to fight by their father and they even spared together as children, not that hard to believe.
Hmm, I know there are indications they could be have being trained by their father, but other media says clearly Sparda disappeared/ died before his children were born.

Ryu Yamato

Absolution
Vergil has a some of Dante's moves and it bothers me because it doesn't make sense to me.
Well, if you that, then the fact that Vergil has Beowulf AT ALL wouldn't make any sense since Vergil at this point hasnt even met Beowulf yet. Or hell, even Force Edge for that matter since Sanctus has The sword of Sparda which is Force Edge's awakened form, so nothing really makes sense in reality.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Dunno how many times has been said, but gameplay in the SE is non canon.

They gave Vergil Beowulf and Force Edge even though he's not supposed to have them, as well as some Dante's moves for pure gameplay reasons.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Hmm, I know there are indications they could be have being trained by their father, but other media says clearly Sparda disappeared/ died before his children were born.
Really? Like what? Because Dante once talked about how it looked to him like his mother and father loved each other and other instances it doesn't sound like when Dante is talking about him to be a second hand account of it.

Top Bottom