• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC vs. Revengeance | 6 Years Later

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Back when they came out, I definitely liked MGR more. I have replayed DmC a lot more then I have MGR. But when I first played MGR, I had a similar feeling as I did when I first played DMC3. It was just so much fun, the action and the soundtrack combined just got my blood pumping like crazy.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Lol Maybe I should've been more specific. I meant this is an old thread and I don't know if I should post or not.

But on topic:
I feel that DmC is a head above MGR is terms of gameplay but MGR had the better story and bosses.

MGR gameplay felt less fun to me because of the over-reliance on the slowmo cutty thing (forgot the name) it was like Arkham Knight relying on the Batmobile, and it slowed down the game for me. Whereas with DmC, the gameplay was smooth with its variety of switching weapons and using an array of combos. Not to say MGR is a push over, but compared to DmC, it just didn't keep my attention.

However, after years of playing DmC (still my favorite Devil May Cry game) I gotta give it to MGR for having a more engaging story with its over the top scale of stylishness, and that Bayonetta-esque sensation about it. The bosses offered something that differed from one another, as opposed to DmC, where its 'hit a boss, demon/angel claw them, hit a boss, demon/angel claw them' over and over again. Then again, classic DMC was just 'hit a boss, hit a boss, hit a boss' but with style. But on topic, MGR just had a deeper story and better bosses to play around with.

As to comparing the two games, I don't think that's fair to either of them.

DmC has the disadvantage not only because the Metal Gear series is more popular in comparison, but also because DmC was considered the game that was plagued to replace the classic series (at least that's what people thought) so naturally MGR was gonna get more praise than DmC. Even if DmC was called something else, there would an unfair comparison because MGR is part of a major IP that's produced some of the most memorable entries in the gaming world.

I will always love DmC more than MGR, but I won't say that MGR was lackluster, just not my cup of tea when I want engaging gameplay without the QTE's getting in the way.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
DmC, where its 'hit a boss, demon/angel claw them, hit a boss, demon/angel claw them' over and over again. Then again, classic DMC was just 'hit a boss, hit a boss, hit a boss' but with style. But on topic, MGR just had a deeper story and better bosses to play around with.

The problem with most of the bosses in Dmc, was they functioned more like Zelda bosses and simplified attack patterns. Compared to most of the others bosses, other than DMC2, they have complexities and a varied move list or attack patterns.

Even if DmC was called something else, there would an unfair comparison because MGR is part of a major IP that's produced some of the most memorable entries in the gaming world.

That's the thing, had DmC been called something else or a spin-off title, people would have not compared to as much what actually happened in reality. If they called game Limbo City, and advertized it as DMC lite or a game in the DMC universe. Comparison would have been nowhere near as harsh or brough to the forefront.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@BrawlMan
Honestly I could still see DmC getting some vitriol if was just a spin-off. I've read enough Marvel/DC to know not everyone likes how every writer likes their favorite character. Some take their criticisms too far and that's true of every fandom. NT still doing a spin-off would be cause for concern and the reactions could range from anywhere from how DMC3 was recieved to how NG3 was initially recieved.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
NT still doing a spin-off would be cause for concern and the reactions could range from anywhere from how DMC3 was recieved to how NG3 was initially recieved.

I agree, but it would not have been a big as a meltdown compared to what actually happened. Hell, I would have preferred a divorced insallment over a spin-off title. Capcom coulda had two stylish action franchise. One for the hardcore, and one that would be newbie friendly, but will pick up some skills over time.

DragonMaster2010

The problem with most of the bosses in Dmc, was they functioned more like Zelda bosses and simplified attack patterns. Compared to most of the others bosses, other than DMC2, they have complexities and a varied move list or attack patterns.
Not really. To me, most bosses are a matter of dodging attacks, then hitting them in different ways. No real need to do anything specific to win, which isn't a problem, but I can't really see the varied complexities. DMC1, and Nero were the only things that usually stood out for me. DMC1 with the bosses requiring strategy, while Nero needed the devil breaker attachments, but for some of Nero's bosses, you don't even need DB to win.

That's the thing, had DmC been called something else or a spin-off title, people would have not compared to as much what actually happened in reality. If they called game Limbo City, and advertized it as DMC lite or a game in the DMC universe. Comparison would have been nowhere near as harsh or brough to the forefront.
I feel it would still be compared because it would be a game made by Capcom that is as Hack n Slash as DMC, and people would judge it for being an attempt to replace classic Dante and the classic DMC with a new IP. It's not like Sengoku Basara, which was a Musou game. It would've been a bonafide hack n slash that played similar to DMC, and had elements similar to DMC. In my experience in this fandom, some DMC fans are VERY protective of Devil May Cry, and anything that rivals it, is compared with the intent to prop of the Devil May Cry series.
So naw, I think even if DmC was named 'Limbo City', people would still be like "Hey, this game plays like Devil May Cry! Why not just make another Devil May Cry game? Why bring us Limbo City? Is this a replacement? Are you REPLACING Devil May Cry?! WTF Crapcom?"
Also, this "New IP" would've come out the same time as Capcom's Western phase, where their games were being given to Western Developers to appeal to a western audience, so Capcom being like "Limbo City is being done by NT," all it would get is "So this Western group is trying to be like DMC? THey'll never replace DMC! #banlimbocity! #notdante!"

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Not really. To me, most bosses are a matter of dodging attacks, then hitting them in different ways. No real need to do anything specific to win, which isn't a problem, but I can't really see the varied complexities. DMC1, and Nero were the only things that usually stood out for me. DMC1 with the bosses requiring strategy, while Nero needed the devil breaker attachments, but for some of Nero's bosses, you don't even need DB to win.

I feel it would still be compared because it would be a game made by Capcom that is as Hack n Slash as DMC, and people would judge it for being an attempt to replace classic Dante and the classic DMC with a new IP. It's not like Sengoku Basara, which was a Musou game. It would've been a bonafide hack n slash that played similar to DMC, and had elements similar to DMC. In my experience in this fandom, some DMC fans are VERY protective of Devil May Cry, and anything that rivals it, is compared with the intent to prop of the Devil May Cry series.
So naw, I think even if DmC was named 'Limbo City', people would still be like "Hey, this game plays like Devil May Cry! Why not just make another Devil May Cry game? Why bring us Limbo City? Is this a replacement? Are you REPLACING Devil May Cry?! WTF Crapcom?"
Also, this "New IP" would've come out the same time as Capcom's Western phase, where their games were being given to Western Developers to appeal to a western audience, so Capcom being like "Limbo City is being done by NT," all it would get is "So this Western group is trying to be like DMC? THey'll never replace DMC! #banlimbocity! #notdante!"

I agree with you, but that was my theory. I would have been less harsh to that than the reboot we actually got. I would have been dissapointed, yet I would not have hated that, how I hated DmC at the time. There is always going to be an idiotic/unpleasable part of most fan bases.

DragonMaster2010

I agree with you, but that was my theory. I would have been less harsh to that than the reboot we actually got. I would have been dissapointed, yet I would not have hated that, how I hated DmC at the time. There is always going to be an idiotic/unpleasable part of most fan bases.
Yes, and there's also too many elements in DmC that tie it to the Classic Devil May Cry. You can change Dante and Vergil's names to Rex and David, changed the red orbs to red skulls, and change Mundus, Sparda, and Eva's name, but at it score, its still a Hack n Slash with a dude shooting two guns and using a big sword, with an acquaintance who uses a katana with similar motives as Vergil in gaining power, who both fight demons.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@DragonMaster2010
If DmC was a new IP they probably scrapped most of the DMC connections and started from scratch. That decision would have been before TGS10 and that probably would affect how the trailer plays out.

So I'm more with @BrawlMan on this. I could see some fans being disgruntled but they'd just get over it and move on with their lives.

Not gonna lie, the controversy is a reason I enjoyed MGR more than DmC. I had too many expectations for DmC while I had none for MGR.

Even if DmC was a new IP I don't think it would've made more sales than it initially did.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

@DragonMaster2010
If DmC was a new IP they probably scrapped most of the DMC connections and started from scratch. That decision would have been before TGS10 and that probably would affect how the trailer plays out.

So I'm more with @BrawlMan on this. I could see some fans being disgruntled but they'd just get over it and move on with their lives.

Not gonna lie, the controversy is a reason I enjoyed MGR more than DmC. I had too many expectations for DmC while I had none for MGR.

Even if DmC was a new IP I don't think it would've made more sales than it initially did.
So maybe if it was just like the TGS2010 trailer, except a different name for the character and title. I could see THAT working, but I feel there'd still be those fans who would complain since this would be the next hack n slash focused game, with Capcom being silent about the next Devil May Cry entry.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
So maybe if it was just like the TGS2010 trailer, except a different name for the character and title. I could see THAT working, but I feel there'd still be those fans who would complain since this would be the next hack n slash focused game, with Capcom being silent about the next Devil May Cry entry.
Honestly you can't avoid that. Fans tend to wonder what if and what they could have had rather than what they do have. I'm no different- just you gotta grow up and accept it.

We probably wouldn't have gotten DMCV till the mid 2010s anyways cause the DMC4 dev team split up and did other things (RE6, MvC3, Dragons dogma).

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
MGR gameplay felt less fun to me because of the over-reliance on the slowmo cutty thing (forgot the name)

Zandatsu ain't just a gimmick though, it actually also is a cancel if you just tap the button. It's pretty much MGR's primary cancel, like Enemy Step in DMC. Once you know that, combat opens up a bit more.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
During 2013 (and 2014 w/Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z) when other hack n slash games came out, I would immediately take them over DmC, regardless if the gameplay was better or not. Lollipop Chainsaw (though that was 2012 technically), worse gameplay, but loved the game for the Juliet, the characters, and simple story. Now I can't even bother to touch it anymore, but I still love the characters. Killer Is Dead: Loved the game, characters, art design/direction, and the story that is not as difficult to follow as critics make it out to be. I thought the gameplay was better than DmC and it kinda holds true, unless you count DmC DE, but that is unfair. I still love Killer Is Dead and pop it in every once in a while. Yaiba, I don't know what to tell you other than, I hated DmC that much at the time. Around 2015, you could not get me touch Yaiba's campaign again, other than the Arcade mode it had. But you would have to beat the campaign to access it, and I will never go through that again. God of War: Ascension...I did not own a PS3, but would happily take Kratos for once over DmC. I later got it for my brother as he had bought a PS3 late in 2013. I thought I just vent and throw that out there.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

I remember being one of the skeptical people when I heard DmC was gonna be outsourced to a western developer.
And then I heard that Team Ninja, regardless of their reputation or whatever says out loud "no Quick Time Events", which is something I have always wanted from game developers and I liked what I heard about all the gameplay will be based on the default controls and not random button presses (meaning not even context-sensitive actions).

But saying "I'm willing to give it a chance" out loud in a community full of f***nuts resulted in me being "blacklisted" over there : /
This is the only "safe" place to talk about games without the fandumb stink.
I heard at least one person from that f***nut community complains about how "I was banned from Devilmaycry.org.".
Good that this place keeps those f***ers out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I remember being one of the skeptical people when I heard DmC was gonna be outsourced to a western developer.
And then I heard that Team Ninja, regardless of their reputation or whatever says out loud "no Quick Time Events", which is something I have always wanted from game developers and I liked what I heard about all the gameplay will be based on the default controls and not random button presses (meaning not even context-sensitive actions).

But saying "I'm willing to give it a chance" out loud in a community full of f***nuts resulted in me being "blacklisted" over there : /
I heard at least one person from that f***nut community complains about how "I was banned from Devilmaycry.org.".

You can talk about DmC freely on the new Escapists forum or Easy Allies without being sh#t on. They have new guidelines, and are lot more strict now. They have actual moderators that do their job, and don't sit and wait until the very last minute. Pus, most of the people there are either indifferent or like the game.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

I think we were just better at being civil with each other than other sites. Trust me, we had our extremists on both sides.

Top Bottom