• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Vergil's Downfall PC Achievements

WorkenOnMaLeft

dude don't bother, slacri is one of the antis who is here for the sole purpose of bitching and is trying to disguise it by calling opinion and is dedicated to making everything positive about this game seem negative or less great than it actually is and chances are he probably doesn't even own it and bases most of his opinions like most the antis on a nine month old build demo or by watching playthroughs on youtube
the only thing that bothered me is that he said the graffity bit was "hamfisted", like... really?? it was a genious storytelling method. he/she seems like the type of person who you hate watching movies with cause they spend the whole thing pointing out trivial "errors" in the film.

AlchemistFromEden

the only thing that bothered me is that he said the graffity bit was "hamfisted", like... really?? it was a genious storytelling method. he/she seems like the type of person who you hate watching movies with cause they spend the whole thing pointing out trivial "errors" in the film.
yeah apparently he's never heard of mise en scene which was the whole point of the graffiti

AlchemistFromEden

and more than half the time all of his long posts just amount to YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE YOU DISAGREE WITH ME

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I really liked the art styles for the graffiti, plus, yeah, it was cool to tell the story with that kind of background. I wish I could find that demon vs angel graffiti in a bigger image.

How would he even get out of prison if its something that Mundus controls?
It's explained in the French comic Devil may cry : Les chroniques de Vergil. If you understand French, reading that will explain. I've got mine in the post.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
But...what does that mean, exactly? How does it apply to Vergil, who's your basic oppositional villain used as a direct contrast to the hero in every way, which is pretty universal in stories? Outside of some of the more outlandish design choices (giant swords, giant guns, exceptionally pretty men aka "biseinen", and jiggle physics), I can't think of any tropes in DMC that I couldn't find in a Western action movie or comic book...especially a comic book.
I think he means that a lot of aspects about DMC3 Vergil are very similar to a lot of anime and Manga bad guys. He could have been substituted with Sephiroth, Sesshomaru, or Viscous from coyboy bebop and most would never know the difference since his character archetype is very common in a lot of Japanese media. I have read a lot of manga and seen a lot of anime with characters who all seem to be carbon copies of each other like Vergil. I have read a lot of both Manga and american comics and I would have to say this trope, while not exclusive to japanese stuff is much more prevalent and used more often

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
I think he means that a lot of aspects about DMC3 Vergil are very similar to a lot of anime and Manga bad guys. He could have been substituted with Sephiroth, Sesshomaru, or Vicious from coyboy bebop and most would never know the difference since his character archetype is very common in a lot of Japanese media. I have read a lot of manga and seen a lot of anime with characters who all seem to be carbon copies of each other like Vergil. I have read a lot of both Manga and american comics and I would have to say this trope, while not exclusive to japanese stuff is much more prevalent and used more often

Ah, I understand now. That's true, the White-Haired Stoic Sociopath is very much an anime staple (even though there's the odd Western example, like Marvel's Magneto). Nelo Angelo wasn't really like that in DMC1, but then, DMC3 gave him a...really big katana and a superiority complex. Sigh.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
Ah, I understand now. That's true, the White-Haired Stoic Sociopath is very much an anime staple (even though there's the odd Western example, like Marvel's Magneto). Nelo Angelo wasn't really like that in DMC1, but then, DMC3 gave him a...really big katana and a superiority complex. Sigh.
Yeah and the thing about DMC1 Nelo Angelo is that I doubt capcom were thinking too far ahead in the future of what was a resident evil spinoff sort of game and were not too concerned with Vergil's persona at the time, just that Nelo Angelo was Dante's corrupted twin. To me that explains the difference between the two. I perfectly understand that and have no issue with it but I think sometimes us fans get to tangled up in the cannon for these games that we forget or ignore the fact that it was not a factor for the most part and that the actual mechanics were what mattered and often dictated what the story would even be.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda

Magneto is practically the starting point of that archtype in mainstream media, when you consider it. Which really is the example we got in DmC. Yeah, he wants general good for man...but reigining over of them for "their own good, because we are the higher being".

chocolatepanda

Shooting a pregnant demon in the back after tricking her from a mile away with a rifle.
That just as bad as beating up a dead corpse to test out a weapon or attacking a downed unarmed enemy when the winner has already been decided.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
Magneto is practically the starting point of that archtype in mainstream media, when you consider it. Which really is the example we got in DmC. Yeah, he wants general good for man...but reigining over of them for "their own good, because we are the higher being".
Your right and I never really noticed it until now. It makes sense because a lot of Japanese tropes in anime and manga come from the U.S. and get this japanese spin. The difference is that Magneto is the only really prominent western version I can think of at the moment while in a lot of anime and anime inspired games it's there a lot. Too much in my opinion.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Your right and I never really noticed it until now. It makes sense because a lot of Japanese tropes in anime and manga come from the U.S. and get this japanese spin. The difference is that Magneto is the only really prominent western version I can think of at the moment while in a lot of anime and anime inspired games it's there a lot. Too much in my opinion.
Yep and classic devil may cry was a Japanese take on Western cool and stylish. He eats pizza, the motorbike in 3, Heck, in DMC4 he ran around as a cowboy.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Vergil? Honorable? Ha, that's a good one.

An honorable person wouldn't slice a bunch of useless thugs, because if Vergil's living by the code of Bushido (I'm a samurai nerd by the way^_^) , most of the warriors back then wouldn't stain their blades with the blood of foolishness. Vergil does it just because he can.

An honorable man wouldn't test a new weapon on a dead corpse like it was a punching bag demon or human. That's complete disrespect for the person who was honorable defeated in battle. That's like using your close friend's body as a bat.

An honorable man would know when he's defeated. The biggest thing a man can do is know when he's defeated so that he can learn from this and try to get stronger. In my eyes Vergil chose the sore loser path and didn't want help from anyone, even though he really needed it. He may have lived like a warrior, but he died as a foolish one, just as many others usually do in fiction.

An honorable man wouldn't use guns even once, otherwise their honor will forever live with that stain and be tarnished in general. Vergil used a gun and to me, that goes against the code of honor that everyone places on him. Even if Vergil only used one once that's still breaking the honor that he lives by, even if it was only for once. Vergil could have sliced it in half and been true to the samurai way, but he didn't.

The only honor I've seen of Vergil was DMC1, when he would fight Dante far and square, and he wouldn't resort to cheap tricks in order to do so. Vergil was all messed up in the honor as he would pretty much kill anyone in his way. He wasn't honorable, he just looked and carried himself in that image, when to me, all I see is a classy sociopath.

DmC Vergil is even less honorable. He shot a demon woman in the back while she was pregnant. That's completely dishonorable. When I saw that the first time, I was like "Welp better give back your katana." But then I realize that this Vergil is different from the normal honor code. What he believes is for the best is also underhanded, and he knew this. He knew what he was doing was wrong, but the situation is different in DmC then in DMC3; Which is more important?

Honor, or the survival of humanity?

Also to answer a question to Vergil going about in the sunlight; He wears a fedora to hide his hair so that no one recognizes him as a son of Sparda since Sparda had white hair as well. To me, Vergil was weak in DmC, but then again, he was trying to hide himself from the world so that Mundus wouldn't know he existed. So doing judgement cuts and rapid slashes would easily get him spotted as having powers similar to Dante, and thus being discovered as a possible threat, which would ruin everything.

However there was no excuse for why he was captured so easily and had to be saved by Dante once. He seemed pretty weak in that moment, but in his final battle, he was all bad ass? What's up with that?

For the final battle when he said "I loved you brother" it was because he thought Dante would be with him in the plans for ruling humanity and for them to finally be together as brothers and never have to be separated again, only for Dante to be against it because of putting humans under a dictatorship and even fight him to stop it. Now Vergil's all alone and with no one with him as he goes to hell. That's pretty sad to see. I felt bad for this Vergil because he had no one to turn to. Just as I felt bad for DMC3 Vergil because his way of thinking was so different from Dante and he'd never be able to live with Dante the way he was brought up.

As to why Dante's free to walk around town, that's because most times there are people who are dangerous and are even famous. For example, there use to be a very dangerous gang leader/drug dealer, who appeared on television shows and was famous for his great body, even though people knew damn well he was a dangerous criminal. Also, Bob Barbas told people not to go near him or even try to talk to him, so obviously people didn't. And there's also the fact that in mission 5, cops were coming on the scene possibly for Dante cause someone probably ratted him out.

So yeah...both Vergil's aren't honorable. Only in certain demographics and presentation, but not honorable.

Slacri

An honorable person wouldn't slice a bunch of useless thugs, because if Vergil's living by the code of Bushido (I'm a samurai nerd by the way^_^) , most of the warriors back then wouldn't stain their blades with the blood of foolishness. Vergil does it just because he can.
Are you really claiming a samurai wouldn't fight back and kill a bunch of enemies that are attacking him and trying to kill him? Samurais were pretty ruthless you know.
An honorable man wouldn't test a new weapon on a dead corpse like it was a punching bag demon or human. That's complete disrespect for the person who was honorable defeated in battle. That's like using your close friend's body as a bat.
Except the demon wasn't his close friend and he didn't have much respect for it so your analogy makes little sense. Samurais decapitating corpses or throwing them out like trash was not an uncommon display.

An honorable man would know when he's defeated. The biggest thing a man can do is know when he's defeated so that he can learn from this and try to get stronger. In my eyes Vergil chose the sore loser path and didn't want help from anyone, even though he really needed it. He may have lived like a warrior, but he died as a foolish one, just as many others usually do in fiction.
But Vergil did know he was defeated. He even admits he's defeated and falls into Hell. Honor and foolishness aren't exactly mutually exclusive.

An honorable man wouldn't use guns even once, otherwise their honor will forever live with that stain and be tarnished in general. Vergil used a gun and to me, that goes against the code of honor that everyone places on him. Even if Vergil only used one once that's still breaking the honor that he lives by, even if it was only for once. Vergil could have sliced it in half and been true to the samurai way, but he didn't.
It was an exception and this hardly negates his entire code. It's like saying Batman doesn't have a code against guns because he used one to kill Darkseid once.

Seriously, Vergil had a specific line that addressed his code when he did it. Even if you think it does completely compromise it, it's not nearly as bad as him running around with a rifle shooting people in the back.
The only honor I've seen of Vergil was DMC1, when he would fight Dante far and square, and he wouldn't resort to cheap tricks in order to do so. Vergil was all messed up in the honor as he would pretty much kill anyone in his way. He wasn't honorable, he just looked and carried himself in that image, when to me, all I see is a classy sociopath.
The same way he did in DMC3?

DmC Vergil is even less honorable. He shot a demon woman in the back while she was pregnant. That's completely dishonorable. When I saw that the first time, I was like "Welp better give back your katana." But then I realize that this Vergil is different from the normal honor code. What he believes is for the best is also underhanded, and he knew this. He knew what he was doing was wrong, but the situation is different in DmC then in DMC3; Which is more important?

I'm not even saying Vergil's actions in DmC were ethically wrong even though I think they were.
Also to answer a question to Vergil going about in the sunlight; He wears a fedora to hide his hair so that no one recognizes him as a son of Sparda since Sparda had white hair as well. To me, Vergil was weak in DmC, but then again, he was trying to hide himself from the world so that Mundus wouldn't know he existed. So doing judgement cuts and rapid slashes would easily get him spotted as having powers similar to Dante, and thus being discovered as a possible threat, which would ruin everything.
But Sparda doesn't have white hair in DmC. He very clearly has black hair in the flashbacks of him and the paintings. Oh yes, a Fedora is such an amazing disguise when you're standing next to a widely known terrorist. I'm not saying he should have been kicking ass left and right, but if his pretense for not doing so was "I don't want to get found out" it's extremely flimsy.

For the final battle when he said "I loved you brother" it was because he thought Dante would be with him in the plans for ruling humanity and for them to finally be together as brothers and never have to be separated again, only for Dante to be against it because of putting humans under a dictatorship and even fight him to stop it. Now Vergil's all alone and with no one with him as he goes to hell. That's pretty sad to see. I felt bad for this Vergil because he had no one to turn to. Just as I felt bad for DMC3 Vergil because his way of thinking was so different from Dante and he'd never be able to live with Dante the way he was brought up.
The entire thing makes Vergil seem like he never loved Dante at all though. He and Dante both shared the same views that humans needed to be protected and he didn't even attempt a rational discussion before immediately resorting to trying to muder him.

As to why Dante's free to walk around town, that's because most times there are people who are dangerous and are even famous. For example, there use to be a very dangerous gang leader/drug dealer, who appeared on television shows and was famous for his great body, even though people knew damn well he was a dangerous criminal. Also, Bob Barbas told people not to go near him or even try to talk to him, so obviously people didn't. And there's also the fact that in mission 5, cops were coming on the scene possibly for Dante cause someone probably ratted him out.
You know a drug dealer doesn't really compare to a national terrorist who blows up amusement parks and destroys cities.
That just as bad as beating up a dead corpse to test out a weapon or attacking a downed unarmed enemy when the winner has already been decided.
Uh, how is that nearly as bad? One is blatantly tricking someone and attacking them defenselessly from a safe mile away.

The other is defeating your opponent and testing a weapon on his corpse and another is beating your enemy in a fair fight and then trying to finish it. Samurais nor knights beat their enemies in warfare and then waited for them to get back up to fight them again.

AlchemistFromEden

However there was no excuse for why he was captured so easily and had to be saved by Dante once. He seemed pretty weak in that moment, but in his final battle, he was all bad ass? What's up with that?

So yeah...both Vergil's aren't honorable. Only in certain demographics and presentation, but not honorable.
thank you for completely destroying that kid's logic and look, he still makes excuses -__-

Top Bottom