• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Vergil's Downfall PC Achievements

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I feel he was, he used to be an honor bound guy who didn't even use guns because he thought they were too dishonorable, and was a better fighter than even Dante.

Now he's kind of a damsel in distress who shoots pregnant demons in the back with rifles. Even if you like him, he's completely different from Vergil.

Kind of disappointed actually, Vergil in this looks like he might play better than Dante but he's only available in what appears to be a short campaign with no bloody palace for him.
Well Vergil was never honorable in the least, Dante was the honorable brother. Vergil was a murderer and a hypocrite who killed innocent people and hated humanity despite having a human mother and wanted to be like his father so bad that he tried to undo everything Sparda accomplished just for the selfish goal of getting more power. And for what?

He might have been better than Dante and did master his powers first but his arrogance made him weaker in the end. He never struck me as honorable. This new Vergil is also a selfish hypocrite but in a different way. I do still wish he had more awesome fighting moments in the game and did not come off as such a weakling when he was obviously more than capable to kicking ass.

Slacri

Dante was much weaker. Where's the evidence that he wasn't?
The fact that he puts up a good fight to Vergil and they're both exhausted by the end of it, he fights Vergil to a standstill and then beats him.
How's what he did to Lilith worse than what the old Vergil would have done? Because he used a gun? Actually, I'm not gonna ping pong all of my points all night. Just sounds to me like a bunch of excuses for a dishonorable guy to me.
Because he shot someone in the back a mile away after tricking them.

And Vergil using a gun once here means he does? He still used it in the past.
He uses it very casually and it's completely different from when he uses it at the end of DMC3.

Whatever. I mean, you don't even want to like this game so there's really no point in arguing about this kind of thing. I just don't think they trashed him. You do. Coolio.
Yeah, we're sharing our thoughts. Guess we have to agree to disagree.

Slacri

Well Vergil was never honorable in the least, Dante was the honorable brother. Vergil was a murderer and a hypocrite who killed innocent people and hated humanity despite having a human mother
Uh, when does he ever do this directly? The only killing of innocent people is maybe him destroying the city, and even then that's not a huge compromise of his code.
and wanted to be like his father so bad that he tried to undo everything Sparda accomplished just for the selfish goal of getting more power. And for what?
Yes, that was the point.

He might have been better than Dante and did master his powers first but his arrogance made him weaker in the end.
That's the point.
He never struck me as honorable. This new Vergil is also a selfish hypocrite but in a different way. I do still wish he had more awesome fighting moments in the game and did not come off as such a weakling when he was obviously more than capable to kicking ass.
You're confusing being honorable and having a code with being ethical here. How does Vergil ever come off as capable of kicking ass? He has to be saved by Dante twice, one time it's by enemies Dante easily takes down, then he gets his ass kicked by Dante. Says he loved him like a brother despite just trying to kill him without much thought and then runs away.

DMC3 Vergil was too proud to even take Dante's hand.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
Uh, when does he ever do this directly? The only killing of innocent people is maybe him destroying the city, and even then that's not a huge compromise of his code. Yes, that was the point.

That's the point.
You're confusing being honorable and having a code with being ethical here. How does Vergil ever come off as capable of kicking ass? He has to be saved by Dante twice, one time it's by enemies Dante easily takes down, then he gets his ass kicked by Dante. Says he loved him like a brother despite just trying to kill him without much thought and then runs away.

DMC3 Vergil was too proud to even take Dante's hand.
Well DmC Vergil had powers, a magic demonic sword and a DT but never uses the, I think NT should have had more moments of his displaying his ability in some way.

I just cant think of any moment in DMC3 that made Vergil seem at all honorable. I don't think being opposed to using guns or being so stuck up that you find them vulgar equates any sense of honor. To me, playing DMC3 all he seemed like was a DMC version of Sephiroth or Sesshomaru. A typical cool bad guy with a Katana that I liked more than the main character.

Slacri

Well DmC Vergil had powers, a magic demonic sword and a DT but never uses the, I think NT should have had more moments of his displaying his ability in some way.
I agree, he just felt so powerless.
I just cant think of any moment in DMC3 that made Vergil seem at all honorable. I don't think being opposed to using guns or being so stuck up that you find them vulgar equates any sense of honor.
It clearly equates to him having a code about fighting. He's like an old samurai that finds guns requiring little skill, crude and cowardly. He's even wearing more eastern regalia and uses a katana to emphasize the point more of him being samurai-esque.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I agree, he just felt so powerless.
It clearly equates to him having a code about fighting. He's like an old samurai that finds guns requiring little skill, crude and cowardly. He's even wearing more eastern regalia and uses a katana to emphasize the point more of him being samurai-esque.
I can see him having a code in terms of fighting, but I still fail to see how that shows any sense of honor. He may never use a gun and may love the Katana his father gave him, but he still decides to take a huge dump on the legacy of his parents for his own selfish reason. That to me just screams dishonor. It would have been more honorable to try and find a way to surpass his father on his own rather than destroying what his father fought for in the first place.

Slacri

I can see him having a code in terms of fighting, but I still fail to see how that shows any sense of honor. He may never use a gun and may love the Katana his father gave him, but he still decides to take a huge dump on the legacy of his parents for his own selfish reason. That to me just screams dishonor. It would have been more honorable to try and find a way to surpass his father on his own rather than destroying what his father fought for in the first place.
He's taking a dump on the legacy of his parents unknowingly though. He's pretty desperate to be like his father. To the point where even Dante has a line of dialogue that says
No matter how hard you try. You're never going to be like father.
In reply Vergil attacks him in a fit of rage.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
He's taking a dump on the legacy of his parents unknowingly though. He's pretty desperate to be like his father. To the point where even Dante has a line of dialogue that says

In reply Vergil attacks him in a fit of rage.
I am not to sure it's unknowingly. It always seemed to me that he just did not care about his parents at all, just his father's power. I could perhaps see maybe a small nugget of honor had he had a reason for his power lust but we never got one in the game just that he wants it. I cant remember if he wanted to rule the world or not.

I think DmC Vergil does to some degree actually think he has honor and that his cause it actually just. It's not and like the previous incarnation of the character he is selfish and blinded by his own ambition. I think that is what Vergil is when you take away the blue motif and katana. A guy who could have been great and could have grown to become more powerful than any other character but his own selfishness and greed and ambition destroys him.

vergilthedemonking

I have to disagree with that old vergil had more honor than the new one. Maybe he fought with more honor in dmc 3 but to me in this reboot everything is explained more throughly about both twins lives. Old vergil maybe disliked weapons but he still used a gun n the arkhqm fight. How can you justify honor and justice when fighting demons and he shot lilith from a mile away because he didn't want for mundus to know that sparda had two sons because he was only aware of dante's existence. I never understood arguing about video game characteristics so much. The old dmc games had so many flaws and that's why they approached NT remember. Because they're good at explaining and storytelling. To me the story about vergil and dante is more clear now and it explains for me how the old dmc games could have started. Heck in dmc 3, dante already had white hair and in the new dmc he gets it at the end of the game. Just wait till the dlc is out and for the future dmc games to come. And i thought this thread was about the achievements, not about two different vergils :/ i am really anxious for the dlc and i think it will explain how vergil will be more like the previous dmc vergil. Now stop the never endless arguin about who is better cause i swear i am so sick of it. Having to read about the petition shows alot about the immature behaviour of the new school gamers. People the world goes on, and things change! Back then there was macintosh and now there's imac with many other features. Which is better etc is pointless cause things keep changing every ****ing day! Sorry if i wrote something unclear but english is my 2nd language. Have a nice day

P.s i forgot to say. Enjoy what you have and that you're even able to play a game like this. Some people across the world are even happy if they have a super nintendo. You know what i mean right? People are to selfish nowadays and it has to stop! Think about it and start with yourself

Slacri

I am not to sure it's unknowingly. It always seemed to me that he just did not care about his parents at all, just his father's power. I could perhaps see maybe a small nugget of honor had he had a reason for his power lust but we never got one in the game just that he wants it. I cant remember if he wanted to rule the world or not.
Well he did, he wanted to be just like his father. He respected him, just not in the best way. His lust for power comes from wishing he was strong enough to protect his mother and wanting to be as strong as he can. It's misguided though and he ends up becoming more like Mundus though.

This is speculation on my part but I always felt that Vergil and Dante represented Sparda's two sides and maybe the conflict he had within himself. Loving humans but seeing them as something beneath him. Seriously, he adored his dad. When he jumps into Hell at the end he also says "I'm staying. This place was our father's home." He wanted to be as close to him as possible.

And then in the post credit cutscene he says something like "My father defeated the demon king, I should be able to as well."

He also considered being a son of Sparda an honor.
I think DmC Vergil does to some degree actually think he has honor and that his cause it actually just. It's not and like the previous incarnation of the character he is selfish and blinded by his own ambition. I think that is what Vergil is when you take away the blue motif and katana. A guy who could have been great and could have grown to become more powerful than any other character but his own selfishness and greed and ambition destroys him.
I really don't think so. I mean tricking Lilith and then shooting her and her kid in the back from a mile away doesn't show much of a code of anything other than the fact that he wants to be efficient.

He then doesn't show much restraint in his attempts to kill Dante despite claiming he loved him and after Kat saves him he just runs away. Again, DMC3 Vergil was too proud to even take Dante's hand of help.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I really don't think so. I mean tricking Lilith and then shooting her and her kid in the back from a mile away doesn't show much of a code of anything other than the fact that he wants to be efficient.

He then doesn't show much restraint in his attempts to kill Dante and after Kat saves him he just runs away. Again, DMC3 Vergil was too proud to even take Dante's hand of help.

Vergil didn't trick her. He made no promise that we know of that no harm would come to her if she followed thier plan. Only Dante prmised this to her.

Sure, Vergil fights Dante, but Dante's the one who plunges a sword into Vergil's chest and shows no sign of stopping until Kat convinces him to... I'd say they're both even in that respect. :troll:

Slacri

Vergil didn't trick her. He made no promise that we know of that no harm would come to her if she followed thier plan. Only Dante prmised this to her.
That's pretty much tricking her with a half-truth. It was very clear that he put up the front of going along with the trade, and he knew what Dante's plan was.
Sure, Vergil fights Dante, but Dante's the one who plunges a sword into Vergil's chest and shows no sign of stopping until Kat convinces him to... I'd say they're both even in that respect. :troll:
Yeah but Dante did it in self-defense after Vergil admitted his plans to rule the world and attacks him for questioning it.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
Well he did, he wanted to be just like his father. He respected him, just not in the best way. His lust for power comes from wishing he was strong enough to protect his mother and wanting to be as strong as he can. It's misguided though and he ends up becoming more like Mundus though.

This is speculation on my part but I always felt that Vergil and Dante represented Sparda's two sides and maybe the conflict he had within himself. Loving humans but seeing them as something beneath him. Seriously, he adored his dad. When he jumps into Hell at the end he also says "I'm staying. This place was our father's home." He wanted to be as close to him as possible.

And then in the post credit cutscene he says something like "My father defeated the demon king, I should be able to as well."

He also considered being a son of Sparda an honor.

He then doesn't show much restraint in his attempts to kill Dante despite claiming he loved him and after Kat saves him he just runs away. Again, DMC3 Vergil was too proud to even take Dante's hand of help.
Well that's my point, he thinks he is doing the right thing and Like the old Vergil becomes more like Mundus than anything. He thinks his cause is a good one and that he is a good man but in the end he is REALLY not in any way. He is potentially more evil than Mundus with the way he treats Kat and how he uses Dante throughout the game.

I see what your saying about DMC3 Vergil I guess I just had trouble comprehending him being so stupid and not ever realizing that he was a douche by doing what he was doing.

Slacri

Well that's my point, he thinks he is doing the right thing and Like the old Vergil becomes more like Mundus than anything. He thinks his cause is a good one and that he is a good man but in the end he is REALLY not in any way. He is potentially more evil than Mundus with the way he treats Kat and how he uses Dante throughout the game.
Vergil doesn't really think he's doing the right thing in DMC3, he knows he's not a good guy. He only thinks he's being like his father. He just didn't realize that by doing so he trampled the legacy of the guy who he idolized so much.

Vergil in DmC isn't honorable at all and he has no real code he follows. He just does whatever he thinks is most efficient and logical, which kind of flies in the face of having a code of honor in the first place.

Slacri

I would also like to add that even though in DMC3 after his last fight with Dante he is incredibly wounded and barely standing and even then he has the bravado to run up a charge at one of the most powerful entities in the universe.

Vergil was having trouble with a random henchman in DmC.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I guess all the art and history depicting old samurai's doing just that is all my imagination. You're confusing honor and a code with being a moral guy.

A man of honor is someone who is honest, fair and has integrity. An honorable man is also one worthy of respect. Killing people for merely intimidating him isn't something I'd call 'fair' and a cold blooded killer isn't worthy of respect.

I would also like to add that even though in DMC3 after his last fight with Dante he is incredibly wounded and barely standing and even then he has the bravado to run up a charge at one of the most powerful entities in the universe.

Vergil was having trouble with a random henchman in DmC.
Bravery, stupidity and arrogance can be used to describe dmc3 vergil's actions.

Slacri

A man of honor is someone who is honest, fair and has integrity. An honorable man is also one worthy of respect. Killing people for merely intimidating him isn't something I'd call 'fair' and a cold blooded killer isn't worthy of respect.
You're confusing honor with ethics here. He had integrity for himself and his code. He wasn't a good guy but he knew that and didn't try to be. Now you're talking about the verb of it and saying that you wouldn't honor him. Which is fair, I wouldn't either but that's not what I'm saying here.

He's a samurai like character, a group of warriors who were famous for their own personal honor and code of battle. They weren't very nice people though.
Bravery, stupidity and arrogance can be used to describe dmc3 vergil's actions.
Yes, and honor normally isn't a very smart thing. Honor flies in the face of logic and efficiency. And DmC Vergil is logical and efficient.

crush

Actually Vergil killed the kid because for mankind. His solely goal.
He knows what he is doing and says bluntly "It had to"

If you say DMC3 vergil is honourable, then lets say he survived and was in DMC4 and doesn't recognize Nero.
I think the results are predictable.

Top Bottom