• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC V DEMO FOOTAGE

berto

I Saw the Devil
I find it funny that the first time I heard about Gerbera I couldn't stop thinking about this

71NaYU8twgL._SX355_.jpg
I wonder if they have the same etymology. Gerbera is a flower and in the language of flowers it means purity and innocence. That seems fitting for baby food. What does the arm do, again?

ShiningTempest

This is a step back, to me. They have an open spot and reverting to a dodge system that is nearly 20 years old and is just as outdated. For people to get that ****y about it makes me worry as to what would happen if they did add a dedicated dodge.
You actually want them to use the outdated dedicated dodge button system?
Making a universal dodge button in DMC would make the controls less efficient. Actually it DID exactly that In DmC.
Yeah someone is right
One idiot actually said 'oh, you'd love DmC. It's got two.
You can get back to DmC all you want.

berto

I Saw the Devil
You actually want them to use the outdated dedicated dodge button system?
Are you being sarcastic? You have a Bayonetta avatar, a game series with a dedicated dodge button and you're telling me that the outdated one is the one with more buttons to do a single thing, the one that was introduced in 2001, 17 years ago. That's not the outdated one? Besides, having a simple and immediate option to a quintessential function is bad how, exactly?

Making a universal dodge button in DMC would make the controls less efficient.
So you are arguing that a 3 input command to perform a basic function that in an action game in which often time nanosecond reactions determines victory or failure would be less efficient if you had it as a single input that does the same? Please tell me you don't work at a nuclear power plant. Imagine having to press 2 buttons and a trigger just to switch weapons. You could no longer say that you can switch weapons on the fly in your game, now, could you?

And if your argument is that this is that it's better because it adds depth:
complex_Depth.png
I don't like bringing this thing up all the time.

Actually it DID exactly that In DmC.
Why does everyone who doesn't want a dodge button forget that DmC neither invented this nor is it the only game to have it? If I had to list every game with a dodge button I'd be here all day. is it because any association to DmC equates to just plain not good? If that's the case I got bad news; Itsuno and Capcom loved that game and this one is probably going to inherit a hell of a lot of things from it. The Demon and Angel pulls are already been implemented to Nero's grapple since now you have the option to go to or bring the enemies to you. Is the fact that that's how it worked in DmC mean that it should be removed because it's a bad mechanic by association?

Yeah someone is right
No, someone has an opinion you agree with and thus far it looks like I can argue my point better.

You can get back to DmC all you want.
You must be new here.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Sideroll is hot garbage.

Anyway, it's cool that there seems to be different Break Ages on the ground and in the air. Adds more variety out of a single arm. I do wonder if having breakable arms is their way of counteracting the fact that in DMC4 we ended up with a massive amount of Red Orbs with nothing to spend it on. It also has me wondering how we'll learn new skills: buying them with Red Orbs, Proud Souls, or something like DmC where you cashed in a singular point that took longer to acquire as you progressed. Here's hopin' they give us DmC's testing area for skills too. Hell, here's hoping they'll wise up and finally put a training mode in the game. For all of DMC's fighting game sensibilities, one of the most sensible features was missing until DmC.

I'll miss those Divinity Statues, too :c

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's not really new material so I guess it should go here.

I've told a few people here that Nero now has the option to either bring to himself or go to the enemies with the snatch function even though I don't know how they did it. Well, here's where I got that from:

Starts around 2:45, 2:50. That insectoid enemy isn't so big that he would force Nero to go to him, ala DMC4's Instances with large enemies. He's average seize and there are 3 instances of Nero grappling towards him and, in fact, he finishes it off in the air by bringing the enemy towards him, thus demonstrating both instances of this mechanic. The first time is vague and highly debatable but the other 2 are clearly not and there is no arguing that Nero is grappling toward it.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

I just got a little annoyed at the "R2/RT = (UNUSED)" bulls*** when I saw a video that showed the control scheme.
You could have that one extra button with a dedicated function, like.... multi-directional dodging?

If you want to preserve the "clunky Japanese closed door policy" nonsense for the dodge function, then maybe R2 could have been a quick button for Break Age?

The game seems to be a hit and miss.
For example, I like how you can run while locked on and it seems that the input for Calibur doesn't require pressing back-to-front, making executing it easier and quicker.
But on the other hand, you have the excruciatingly Japanese dodging and a wasted button.

Goldsickle

erbera is a flower and in the language of flowers it means purity and innocence. That seems fitting for baby food. What does the arm do, again?
The arm seems to be flower-themed, since one of its attack is called "Petal Ray".
The Petal Ray shoots bouncing beams that lasts quite long.
In a confined room with 3-4 enemies, you can get from D to S in seconds.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Imagine having to press 2 buttons and a trigger just to switch weapons.

Hehehe.

220px-DmC_box_art.png

More like 2 triggers (depending on the mode) and a button, but close enough.

But anyway, I personally find all these complaints about a dedicated dodge button kind of ridiculous, especially from people that have been fans of the series for a long time, which should know that the series always had a dedicated dodge button. It's the jump button, guys. Simply jumping has always been the best evasive option, siderolling or dashing are just accessories and things that add flair. Jumping has i-frames, can cancel moves, it's got faster recovery, it can give you high ground and sets you up for aerial moves, it is just the finest dodge you can have in these games. And all of that applies to Air Hike as well. Hallelujah.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

siderolling or dashing are just accessories and things that add flair.
Side rolling allows you to recover quickly.
It's more effective to side-roll Griffin's barrage of lightning pillars, while shooting grenades in between dodging.

Even when you're fighting A.I. Dante in DMC4, he's way more dangerous when he side rolls into a Stinger.
When he jumps up and does a Helm Breaker or Splash, he's wide open for a Snatch.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
not my intention but I'll address that later

Was just joking.

Jump and dodge are two different things. Mixing the two would mean you can dodge once to not at all in mid air.

I don't see the point you're trying to make. Say the game did have a dodge button like DMC2 or DmC. How does that make it so you can dodge more than once in midair?
What you have in mind is a ground dodge. Again, jumping does exactly what that's supposed to do, and even better than it. What makes it different than a dodge roll? That you go up instead of sideways? If that's the case, then what about it? Going up is still more advantageous for the reasons I mentioned.

And besides, Nero can now boost himself sideways in midair anyway, so you don't even need to worry about having just one dodge in the air.

Side rolling allows you to recover quickly.

Jumping has even quicker recovery. You can make your move a millisecond after you jump, it's got insane recovery speed, jumping is cancelable almost straight away.
As an example, here's a comparison. First gif is me inputting a dash as soon as I'm able to input anything after a jump. Second gif is me still doing a dash, but as soon as I'm allowed to input anything after a side roll instead.

jump_zps2na0taj3.gif

roll_zpsgt5c6alj.gif

You can see how jumping has a noticeably faster recovery, which allows me to input my dash earlier than it's possible with the side roll, because the latter has more recovery. After a jump, you can input your next move while the initial frames are still playing, while in the roll case, you have to wait till the final ones. You can't cancel roll as early as you can cancel jump.

Also you can't really bring up an AI as an argument here, it doesn't reason like a human player such as you when you're playing the game. If that Dante was human controlled, do you think he would let himself be wide open for your Snatch? He could do all sorts of things as soon as his feet would leave the ground. Sky Star, Air Trick, Air Hike, all stuff that get him out of the way and have i-frames. AI Dante was designed to behave so that he intentionally leaves himself open in certain points so that you can actually beat him, can you imagine how overwhelming OP he would be if he could use his moveset to its full proficiency against us? XD

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Looking at that gif... I'm thinking, why can't I just do that with a single input? Why can't THAT just be the dedicated dodge?

Likewise, whenever I hear that argument, I think... Why stressing it out so much when there's already a one button move that does the same thing a dodge is supposed to do, except much better?

To each his own questions.

Goldsickle

First gif is me inputting a dash as soon as I'm able to input anything after a jump.
Well, that's the thing.
The character would need an air-dash for that to work.
Devil May Cry isn't just about Dante anymore and not everyone has an air-dash but everyone has a side-roll.
As DarkSlayer54 pointed out, a single input would be better.

Also you can't really bring up an AI as an argument here, it doesn't reason like a human player such as you when you're playing the game. If that Dante was human controlled, do you think he would let himself be wide open for your Snatch?
A human controlled player would be even more open for Snatch, since they can't react as automatically as the A.I.
If you ever get off-guard by A.I. Dante's Stinger, Gunstinger, etc. then you may get caught by a Snatch.
But facing Dante, you should be able to realize that side-rolling into a signature move is a lot quicker then jumping.

Why stressing it out so much when there's already a one button move that does the same thing a dodge is supposed to do, except much better?
It'd be better if the "universal dodge" has a dedicated button, isn't direction-sensitive and doesn't require a "mode toggle" to access it.
Your only example of a work-around involves a character who just happen to have an air-dash move.
What about other characters like Nero, Lady and Trish?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Well, that's the thing.
The character would need an air-dash for that to work.

I mean, not really. I used dash merely because I thought it was more evident to the eye with that move, but my point stands pretty much whatever you input. If you want me to make two more gifs with something more generic and not character specific, like, I dunno, a simple sword attack, or even cancel them into themselves, I will.

It's not about which move you input after the jump/roll, it's about the fact that jump recovers much quicker than roll, therefore you're allowed to input your next move earlier when you jump as opposed to a roll which recovers more slowly.

It'd be better if the "universal dodge" has a dedicated button

Which jump does.

isn't direction-sensitive

Which jump isn't.

and doesn't require a "mode toggle" to access it

Which jump doesn't.

I'm legit confused, in which way were those points supposed to counter my argument that jump is the better "universal dodge" in DMC?

Edit:
Nvm, I wasn't able to see which gif DarkSlayer54 quoted as it wouldn't load for some reason, I now can and realize you were talking about Sky Star. Scratch this point.

Your only example of a work-around involves a character who just happen to have an air-dash move.

See above. The dash wasn't the point, it was a mere aesthetic decision on my part.

And once again, the AI argument is irrelevant. It's not uncommon for developers to modify a character's moves' properties when said character is a boss instead of the playable version. Most recent example on Capcom's part is Ryu in SFVSE when he was made a boss in that mode that you have to spend FM on in order to play. His fireball had a much reduced recovery, so did his Shoryuken, his throw range was bigger and so on.
In game, the playable version of Dante recovers much quicker after a jump than after a roll. If your claim about AI Dante is even true, I haven't played that boss fight in a long time. I'll take your word for it.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
More like 2 triggers (depending on the mode) and a button, but close enough.

But, like...you only switch weapons with one button. You're either holding a trigger, or your tapping a D-Pad button.

t's the jump button, guys. Simply jumping has always been the best evasive option, siderolling or dashing are just accessories and things that add flair. Jumping has i-frames, can cancel moves, it's got faster recovery, it can give you high ground and sets you up for aerial moves, it is just the finest dodge you can have in these games. And all of that applies to Air Hike as well. Hallelujah.

Dude, c'mon. That's just so stupid. You know the differences between jumping and dodging. Don't be that guy.

It's not really new material so I guess it should go here.

I've told a few people here that Nero now has the option to either bring to himself or go to the enemies with the snatch function even though I don't know how they did it. Well, here's where I got that from:

Starts around 2:45, 2:50. That insectoid enemy isn't so big that he would force Nero to go to him, ala DMC4's Instances with large enemies. He's average seize and there are 3 instances of Nero grappling towards him and, in fact, he finishes it off in the air by bringing the enemy towards him, thus demonstrating both instances of this mechanic. The first time is vague and highly debatable but the other 2 are clearly not and there is no arguing that Nero is grappling toward it.

It bugs me that of the videos or images I've seen, no one has ever bothered to give us a shot of the skill menu, so we can see what's there, and perhaps, if there's actually a nuance to pulling with Snatch.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I don't see the point you're trying to make.
Jumping sends you up in the air while dodging moves you quickly to another spot to avoid damage. Yes, jumping can move you out of harm's way but why am I stock going only up to avoid harm?

How does that make it so you can dodge more than once in midair?
Because you can spam the dodge button but you can't spam the jump button. Specially in the air. You only get two jumps. Everything else is just more to do the most basic of things.

Imagine you're in the air and something just fired at you. You're out of air hike so what can you do? Helm breaker for Nero is lock on and forward so first you have to lock onto something, determine where forward is in relation to you now and then forward and attack. Caliber also needs you determine where forward is in relation to the character, then back to forth and attack. It's not complicated but it is a process. So you can do all that, which isn't hard but it's still 3 steps, or, and just bare with me as I explain in great detail, you can just tap a dodge button.

Again, jumping does exactly what that's supposed to do, and even better than it.
How? Like this:

jump_zps2na0taj3.gif

roll_zpsgt5c6alj.gif
So you're argument is that to 'make your move a millisecond after you jump, it's got insane recovery speed, jumping is cancelable almost straight away' is just as efficient, that 'inputting a dash as soon as one is able to input anything after a jump' is better and that 'doing a dash, but as soon as allowed to input anything after tp perform a side roll instead' is somehow better than just having a button that does that immediately? So the git gud approach? We made it more complicated and that's why it's better. And how much input and timing did you have to do to get the same effect a single press of a trigger could've done? This is overly and pointlessly complex.

If I gave you the option of either snapping your fingers to get an apple or to have to clap, whistle and jump on one foot at the same time to get said apple which would you choose? It's not like one takes longer than the other so why not go for complexity over efficiency? It'll make you feel like you earned it, at least. Not like the one where you have to do more to get the same will get older, faster.

And besides, Nero can now boost himself sideways in midair anyway, so you don't even need to worry about having just one dodge in the air.
Not without the right DB in your inventory, which, if you don't have selected means you have to cycle to find and install, which, in a high speed action game, after doing all that, by the time you finish, what the hell's point?

I get it. I used to be somewhat decent at DMC4. I was able to make complicated inputs like quickly switching to trickster, closing the distance between me and the enemy, rapidly switching to swordmaster to pull off an air combo, then tapping the trigger twice really fast to continue the combo with another weapon and quickly going back to trickster to get away from an incoming attack. It's frickin' satisfying. Feels great to accomplish something that complex and have it come off right. Then I switched to Bayonetta and B2 for a while and I tried to go back to DMC4 and I just got annoyed at having to input 3 to 4 times as much to do the same. All that complexity is pointless where there have been long standing principles in place. It would make the whole thing smoother and more accessible. The whole, let's keep it complicated (and yes, those gifs are examples of overly complicated applications to do a simple action) because they work just as well as if it were simple is just going to start filtering people out and before long only the elitists are going to want to keep playing and that leads to decline.

By the way, yes, people like difficult games but difficulty through complexity of input commands isn't what they have in mind. DMC1 and 3 were notoriously difficult games and people love them for it and they weren't complicated games.

It bugs me that of the videos or images I've seen, no one has ever bothered to give us a shot of the skill menu, so we can see what's there, and perhaps, if there's actually a nuance to pulling with Snatch.
Dude, c'mon, with the double posting.

Anyway, it might be that most of the people who are going to the event aren't all skilled or nuinced players, and those that are aren't recording or anything. As far as I've seen there isn't much you can do in this build of the game. In fact, in this build they didn't include the buster DB, which they showed off in the IGN gameplay footage.

People might not know if the game doesn't tell them and from what I've seen those are just the most basic of instructions.

Top Bottom