• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Theories

chocolatepanda

NT said that he was going to change into the original Dante gradually.
Didnt they say that before they announced that it was in a parallel universe. Isn't impossible for him to become The Dante since he's half angel? I think the change will just be it'll just be personality wise he'll gradually get more confident in his abilities like the original is.

Railazel

They announced the alternate universe thing afterwards, but it still seems like he'll become the old Dante since they haven't said anything about his hair not changing white or anything along those lines

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
They announced the alternate universe thing afterwards, but it still seems like he'll become the old Dante since they haven't said anything about his hair not changing white or anything along those lines
regardless of when they announced he is in a parallel universe he is in one. so he can't literally become the old Dante. it is possible for him to become more like the old Dante but i doubt that will happen Ninja Theory seems to like their version of Dante and he doesn't seem to be as different from the original as most people seem to think he is.

ZeroLove

I really don't think we should expect for the new Dante to become the original Dante. He might become into someone who is LIKE the original Dante, but they are for obvious reasons not the same character. The new Dante is from an alternate/parallel universe, he's got angelic powers, his hair is black and the original Dante was born with white hair. Your theory doesn't hold any ground.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Didnt they say that before they announced that it was in a parallel universe. Isn't impossible for him to become The Dante since he's half angel? I think the change will just be it'll just be personality wise he'll gradually get more confident in his abilities like the original is.
Which of the 4 personalities would dante change into? I think NT already know how dante will come to terms with his growing powers, maybe in a different way, but we've never seen dante this young before and somewhat lost to his origins.

chocolatepanda

Which of the 4 personalities would dante change into? I think NT already know how dante will come to terms with his growing powers, maybe in a different way, but we've never seen dante this young before and somewhat lost to his origins.
It's more like 3 personalities since 3 and 4 were similar and they would most like got the the 3rd and most recent personality since the 2nd wasnt popular and the 1st can only be done by his original creator. And to me this game is an origin story of a new character so if the game does well it can be continued and make sense instead of having the random timeline that the DMC series has.

ZeroLove

It's more like 3 personalities since 3 and 4 were similar and they would most like got the the 3rd and most recent personality since the 2nd wasnt popular and the 1st can only be done by his original creator. And to me this game is an origin story of a new character so if the game does well it can be continued and make sense instead of having the random timeline that the DMC series has.

That's how I see it as well, this is a NEW Dante based off the original Dante, but they are still two different individuals, not the one same character and the new Dante might evolve very differently than the original Dante.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
I hope this dantes personality is a mixture of all of the previous ones, but still not completely ripped from the original. I want to believe in this guy, and not once feel like I need the original dante, just little, subtle hints, not flat out quotes or anything.

Railazel

regardless of when they announced he is in a parallel universe he is in one. so he can't literally become the old Dante. it is possible for him to become more like the old Dante but i doubt that will happen Ninja Theory seems to like their version of Dante and he doesn't seem to be as different from the original as most people seem to think he is.

I really don't think we should expect for the new Dante to become the original Dante. He might become into someone who is LIKE the original Dante, but they are for obvious reasons not the same character. The new Dante is from an alternate/parallel universe, he's got angelic powers, his hair is black and the original Dante was born with white hair. Your theory doesn't hold any ground.

Just because this Dante is of different origins doesn't stop him from ultimately being the same Dante that we know. Its like the many universes that we see in comic books, each version of a character has different origins and are placed in different settings but they still end up being the same hero.

If NT wants to reboot DmC, they have to make it so that at some point the reboot crosses timelines with the original. Otherwise, it can't call itself a reboot.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Just because this Dante is of different origins doesn't stop him from ultimately being the same Dante that we know. Its like the many universes that we see in comic books, each version of a character has different origins and are placed in different settings but they still end up being the same hero.

If NT wants to reboot DmC, they have to make it so that at some point the reboot crosses timelines with the original. Otherwise, it can't call itself a reboot.
All things must die. But certain fans do not want to let go off something they like.
That is why "reboots" of comic and movie characters are made.

Every 2 year or so a new Superman or Spiderman movie is made by Hollywood. It's really stupid.
For how long will they go on with this madness?

Reboot Donte and Dante aren't the same. Their races aren't the same, and the hair logic...
One being half angel half demon, with white hair being result of demon powers.
One being half demon and half human, and born with white hair.

Railazel

All things must die. But certain fans do not want to let go off something they like.
That is why "reboots" of comic and movie characters are made.

Every 2 year or so a new Superman or Spiderman movie is made by Hollywood. It's really stupid.
For how long will they go on with this madness?

Reboot Donte and Dante aren't the same. Their races aren't the same, and the hair logic...
One being half angel half demon, with white hair being result of demon powers.
One being half demon and half human, and born with white hair.

Either way, this is an alternate universe/reboot, correct? So that means that the Reboot Dante has to make a parallel with the original, no matter how different he is.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Either way, this is an alternate universe/reboot, correct? So that means that the Reboot Dante has to make a parallel with the original, no matter how different he is.
I am saying that all good things should die when it should die.
And last i checked "reboot" or "paralell universe" is a way for companies to change something alot.

Instead of creating new stuff games or movies are being recycled.

ZeroLove

I am saying that all good things should die when it should die.
And last i checked "reboot" or "paralell universe" is a way for companies to change something alot.

Instead of creating new stuff games or movies are being recycled.

All good things should die when it should die. But who are you to judge when that is? Street Fighter has had some rough times, but it's still pulling through and is still quite successful. Pokémon is still running after 14 seasons and the games are still selling good. Super Mario have lived since the first Nintendo console (NES) was made. Lara Croft is still kicking butt and shooting baddies. You like iconic figures in the gaming world, so thought I would present to you some of those who are still up and fighting and still popular after so many years. Their respective developers keep them alive, because they are in demand and they sell well. When Devil May Cry stop being that, Dante will die and so will the games.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
All good things should die when it should die. But who are you to judge when that is? Street Fighter has had some rough times, but it's still pulling through and is still quite successful. Pokémon is still running after 14 seasons and the games are still selling good. Super Mario have lived since the first Nintendo console (NES) was made. Lara Croft is still kicking butt and shooting baddies. You like iconic figures in the gaming world, so thought I would present to you some of those who are still up and fighting and still popular after so many years. Their respective developers keep them alive, because they are in demand and they sell well. When Devil May Cry stop being that, Dante will die and so will the games.
But there are difference between story games and gameplay games.

A fight game such as Street fighter does not have focus on story. I will buy Virtua Fighter 5 for Ps3, and it's not for story but the gameplay.
A relaxing game like Mario does not have focus on story. You never saw when you played classic mario that there was a heavy story around the game.
And Pokemon is something that has managed to survive for long. But Pokemon cards is not like a story. You shouldn't try to stretch a story that's already finished and ended. You should close the book.

You make a game with a story. The game's story closes. And that game is then finished.
You can go and milk it, but instead you can try to be creative and make a new and great game.

But at one point even a gameplay game will get responses from fans that "this was just simply the same".
But it's very important to finish a story game in contrary to a gameplay type.

I am not the one to decide when something should end. But i am very sure that MANY people here would like a new character called *insert british name* that copies Dante. Than a character that poses as Dante.

ZeroLove

But there are difference between story games and gameplay games.

A fight game such as Street fighter does not have focus on story. I will buy Virtua Fighter 5 for Ps3, and it's not for story but the gameplay.
A relaxing game like Mario does not have focus on story. You never saw when you played classic mario that there was a heavy story around the game.
And Pokemon is something that has managed to survive for long. But Pokemon cards is not like a story. You shouldn't try to stretch a story that's already finished and ended. You should close the book.

You make a game with a story. The game's story closes. And that game is then finished.
You can go and milk it, but instead you can try to be creative and make a new and great game.

But at one point even a gameplay game will get responses from fans that "this was just simply the same".
But it's very important to finish a story game in contrary to a gameplay type.

I am not the one to decide when something should end. But i am very sure that MANY people here would like a new character called *insert british name* that copies Dante. Than a character that poses as Dante.

Street Fighter has as much story in it as Devil May Cry, if not more. And I am sure many people would say that Devil May Cry is about the gameplay and not the story. The story in Devil May Cry is just an excuse to kill demons in a stylish way with a cool looking character. But apparently, Capcom is trying to change that with the help of Ninja Theory with this new Devil May Cry and so they are starting on a new story, but keeping the overall concept that is Devil May Cry and keeping Dante as a character, but seen in a whole new form.

Many companies keeps trying to keep life in a beloved franchise, creating new stories for them and re-inventing them. Super Mario may not have changed in appearance much, but the gameplay has had an overhaul many times over throughout the years. Super Mario is a gameplay game and the gameplay has had many changes and it is still succesful. If Devil May Cry is indeed a story game, then why is it so bad that it gets a story overhaul? If it is okay for a gameplay game to change the gameplay, why isn't it okay for a story game to change the story?

I disagree that you make a game with a story. You make a game with a story AND gameplay. If it works, the developers keep giving it life with more games. If either the story or the gameplay isn't to the fans' satisfaction, then the developers changes it to try and keep the game alive. Super Mario's story works. It is simple and to the point and the fans don't need more of a story than that, so they only changed the gameplay and experimented with it to make it better and more interesting, so the fans wouldn't think it was the same thing through all the games. Devil May Cry's story doesn't work, but the gameplay is loved by many many fans, so they keep the gameplay, but changes the story. In this case, Capcom decided to go through drastic means for many other reasons than just the story, but there must be a reason they thought the story had to get an overhaul as well. Maybe because the story really is very broken and many fans are unhappy with it. Just look at all the complaints the story, not the gameplay, but the story of Devil May Cry 2 and 4 got. The story is broken. So Capcom gives the game a last chance by giving the story an overhaul by the help of some experienced storytellers.

Capcom didn't have to do this. They could just give up and shut down Devil May Cry for good. But then they would disappoint so many people, so they keep on trying. I think the new Devil May Cry is the series last chance to prove it is worth keeping alive. If it does not become a success, then I really do think they will close the book for good.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Street fighter is a gameplay type. Devil May Cry is a gameplay type.
Mario is a gameplay type.

With Mario they made new gameplay. You call that overhaul,but i call it innovation. Just like how they updated Mario from 1985 they updated the gameplay. Mario games aren't just ONE type. Mario have become a character you can pretty much place in a setting.

In contrast Heavenly sword, God of War, and Infamous are games suited to be called "Story games". Especially Heavenly sword. The story of these games drives them.

"re-invent" is such a bad way to express coming up with new games. Why not instead of trying to "re-invent2 a new gameplay concept for a game - make a totally new game? I don't see why Devil May Cry serie should have any influence on a new game such as DmC. Sure DMC gameplay and knowledge that Capcom has acquired should naturally be applied to DmC, but the characters? The story? The items? That enough tells me that they care about money therefor they kept "Dante", "Rebellion", etc.

Is there a lack of creativity? Is it the reason why game companies constantly have to do a CPR on old games? Why not give birth to new games?

The story in DMC is clearly broken. You say Capcom could have shutdown DMC production, but they didn't because they cared. It's funny that they cared so much about us fans that they produce 3 DMC games with a very unconsistent story line. And there is many ways than one to make a DMC story game. Many people have shown interest in Vergil's or Sparda story.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
If you really believe Devil May Cry is a gameplay type of game, then why did you even mention this:

Because now it just sounds like you are contradicting yourself.
You mentioned Street fighter and Mario. They are just like DMC gameplay type of games.
I don't know about Street fighter's story, but i gurantee you that most fight games have focus on gameplay, and add small background story to characters as a bonus.

Devil May Cry, SF and Mario - i would say DMC is most story focused.

ZeroLove

You mentioned Street fighter and Mario. They are just like DMC gameplay type of games.
I don't know about Street fighter's story, but i gurantee you that most fight games have focus on gameplay, and add small background story to characters as a bonus.

Devil May Cry, SF and Mario - i would say DMC is most story focused.

Of those three, yes, Devil May Cry is indeed more story based, but your above post seemed to imply that Devil May Cry is a story type of game and then you later said it is a gameplay type of game, so you can understand my confusion.

Top Bottom