• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

nephlim god

60fps was not doable for PS3 and 360 because there was way to many things moving onscreen, and would incur incredible amounts of slowdown that it would never actually hold it - the systems just aren't strong enough to handle it, while PC, PS4, and X1 can. That is just fact, and it's the entire reason why it was 60fps - they made a decision between a high framerate or consistently lag-free gameplay, and I'm pretty sure every gamer, especially people who play action games, knows they made the right choice there. The game worked great at 30fps, and it'll definitely be brilliant at 60fps now that it's on more systems that can handle that kind of stress.

Most of the rest of it was not addressed before the release of the game either, because it was coming from people who didn't have the final product - they had zero idea how everything worked as a whole. The game didn't need Turbo, a manual lock, Hardcore, or any of the other additions the Definitive Edition is giving us, they could have been content to just make a next-gen port with all its DLC, but they didn't, they decided to also make a great game even better. No one here is saying that "hating" has become the "right decision" now either. I don't know anyone who has flip-flopped like that. There's a difference between supporters going "Oh cool, they're putting that in, there'll be lots of variety now" and dissenters who demanded these features from the beginning as if it was the only way the game could be good.

Now, will you please. Just. Stop. Nobody cares.

Very well said . Made a perfectly good game game better by listening to feedback and when they have better tools for the job ..

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
60fps was not doable for PS3 and 360 because there was way to many things moving onscreen, and would incur incredible amounts of slowdown that it would never actually hold it - the systems just aren't strong enough to handle it, while PC, PS4, and X1 can. That is just fact, and it's the entire reason why it was 60fps - they made a decision between a high framerate or consistently lag-free gameplay, and I'm pretty sure every gamer, especially people who play action games, knows they made the right choice there. The game worked great at 30fps, and it'll definitely be brilliant at 60fps now that it's on more systems that can handle that kind of stress.
Yeah sure, because games like MGR is able to run 60 fps, but coding 60fps, apparently to much to demand from NT on a get go xD

Most of the rest of it was not addressed before the release of the game either, because it was coming from people who didn't have the final product - they had zero idea how everything worked as a whole. The game didn't need Turbo, a manual lock, Hardcore, or any of the other additions the Definitive Edition is giving us, they could have been content to just make a next-gen port with all its DLC, but they didn't, they decided to also make a great game even better. No one here is saying that "hating" has become the "right decision" now either. I don't know anyone who has flip-flopped like that. There's a difference between supporters going "Oh cool, they're putting that in, there'll be lots of variety now" and dissenters who demanded these features from the beginning as if it was the only way the game could be good.
It was all addressed as soon as demo and early gameplay was made available. Difficulty, manual lock-on AND higher speed. IT's just some people prefer to cover their ears and scream "no, you're all just haters".

Now, will you please. Just. Stop. Nobody cares.
apparently you care enough to whine about my posts ;)
No game is perfect. Not DmC and not DMC4; which is also recieving updates 6 or 7 years too late. I take it that game has become a joke as well now? Or are you only prepared to question DmC and not DMC4?

"All of those was addressed like year before release of the game"

Like what exactly? Gods Must Die mode? Load times? What exactly?
Higher speed, higher difficulty, manual lock-on. All this was demanded as soon as first gameplay was made available. Which happened in 2012. As for DMC4 I don't think there will be any changes except new character. IT's probably just rerelease of PC version.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Enough.

Everyone here is entitled to speak their mind but only in a civilized manner. That is not what I'm seeing here so either turn this debate friendly or end it.

Ignore feature is still an option we always recommend.

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah sure, because games like MGR is able to run 60 fps, but coding 60fps, apparently to much to demand from NT on a get go xD

DmC was coded at 60fps, and locked at 30 to prevent slowdown. MGR also didn't have environments with nearly as much movement as seen in the likes of DmC. The last-gen consoles can't handle both the action of a DMC game and the amount of activity going in Limbo's backgrounds. Even Bayonetta struggles to keep a perfectly smooth framerate when its backgrounds got crazy. DMC4 lagged out when fighting two Mephistos next to a running river. It just doesn't work to have such high levels of both character and environmental action, that's why most

It was all addressed as soon as demo and early gameplay was made available. Difficulty, manual lock-on AND higher speed. IT's just some people prefer to cover their ears and scream "no, you're all just haters".

"Demo and early gameplay." Do you hear yourself man? Those aren't the final product! Judging an incomplete work as if it's complete is foolish. "Diffuclty" Not until the final product did everyone know what each difficulty had in store for them. Manual lock-on was still unnecessary in the game, hence why it wasn't "fixed," and Turbo mode would have just exacerbated the framerate even more on those weaker systems.

EDIT: Sorry, Jefe

Meg

DmC was coded at 60fps, and locked at 30 to prevent slowdown. MGR also didn't have environments with nearly as much movement as seen in the likes of DmC. The last-gen consoles can't handle both the action of a DMC game and the amount of activity going in Limbo's backgrounds. Even Bayonetta struggles to keep a perfectly smooth framerate when its backgrounds got crazy. DMC4 lagged out when fighting two Mephistos next to a running river. It just doesn't work to have such high levels of both character and environmental action, that's why most

"Demo and early gameplay." Do you hear yourself man? Those aren't the final product! Judging an incomplete work as if it's complete is foolish. "Diffuclty" Not until the final product did everyone know what each difficulty had in store for them. Manual lock-on was still unnecessary in the game, hence why it wasn't "fixed," and Turbo mode would have just exacerbated the framerate even more on those weaker systems.

EDIT: Sorry, Jefe
I do believe berto just said to either turn the debate friendly or stop altogether. This is everyone's second warning. Don't make us giving out official warnings or lock the thread.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Everything that was happening in limbo is scripted as such it doesn't demand as much power as non scripted events. 60 fps was never intended for this game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.393108-Capcom-Explains-Why-30-FPS-Isnt-That-Bad
And besides not that DmC runs at steady 30 fps as well. It's not that demanding to have 60fps when you know how to do it.

Demo is there to judge gameplay, otherwise demo doesn't make sense. And complains about difficulty was there ever since demo and early gameplay builds. Including videos of people one-hit-killing Poison and not falling style meter. Manual lock-on was complained since demo's flying enemies. All this concerns was genuinely ignored and as such half of criticism AFTER release could have been prevented, if NT was acting as open-minded people and listen what their potential customers have to say instead of making games for themselves.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Everything that was happening in limbo is scripted as such it doesn't demand as much power as non scripted events.

Uuuuuh...it doesn't matter if it's scripted, it's literally just the fact that so many things are happening onscreen at once from both player, enemies, and environment, that the console can't showcase it all properly, and thus horribly laggy framerate happens. Ask anyone else here who knows how systems handle framerate.

60 fps was never intended for this game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.393108-Capcom-Explains-Why-30-FPS-Isnt-That-Bad
And besides not that DmC runs at steady 30 fps as well. It's not that demanding to have 60fps when you know how to do it.

I'm beginning to think you don't know how this stuff works. For one thing, the game was intended to be at a locked 30fps because of the decisions they made with the game concept, eg Limbo. The article you linked even says that - "the game's lowered framerate is down to its engine - the game is using the UE3 engine rather than Capcom's in-house MT-Framework - and the fancy level-shifting shenanigans". And I'm honestly not quite buyin' the mention that UE3 was part of the decision, considering UE3 can totally run things at 60fps, and more. The consistent thing mentioned in numerous places was that because the environments were so chaotic, it put too much strain on the system to run both character and environmental action.

Demo is there to judge gameplay, otherwise demo doesn't make sense.

A demo is there to judge the overall concept of the gameplay, but not necessarily all the intricacies involved with it, especially when you only have a portion of the abilities and weapons to work with, against a small sample size of enemies, in one level. You are straight up wrong, man.

And complains about difficulty was there ever since demo and early gameplay builds.

And the demo only included the first three difficulty modes, not the highest difficulty nor the novelty modes that people like to play on, and early gameplay builds at conventions (where you couldn't choose your difficulty) were set to the easiest setting so anyone walking up to the booth could get into the game without having their butt handed to them.

Including videos of people one-hit-killing Poison and not falling style meter.

And that stuff was addressed and fixed, or was a bug that not everyone experienced because it wasn't the completed product, and we are constantly reminded that as an unfinished product that is also segmented bits of code, a demo might jigger up sometimes. Alex Jones was actually asked during a panel about the video of a guy doing Tremor three times on a stunned Poison getting a SSS, and that was fixed. It was fixed a long time ago, but the build they were showing to the public was becoming increasingly old.

Manual lock-on was complained since demo's flying enemies.

Complained by stubborn players who refused to learn this game's specific targeting mechanics. I have no idea how so many players can claim to be great at DMC but have so much trouble with such a simple mechanism that so many others have conquered, and have gameplay videos of them doing so. Hell, our very own OppressedWriter had a no damage playthrough of the game on DMD and he never had any problems using the game's soft lock against flying enemies. I never had any problems using the soft lock on flying enemies either, and I'm an average-at-best player...

All this concerns was genuinely ignored and as such half of criticism AFTER release could have been prevented, if NT was acting as open-minded people and listen what their potential customers have to say instead of making games for themselves.

Oh! I love this one. So many have taken it out of context so they could feel upset :) I assume you mean this little bit here...

TamTam And I Need Dis said:
Usually the worst creative crimes are made when you’re trying to make a game for someone else – some perceived demographic that, in all likelihood, doesn’t actually exist. From my point of view there’s only one way to try and make a successful game, and that’s to make the game you want to play. A game that everyone involved is proud of. So from that point of view I don’t care if it sells a thousand units or two million units. I believe the time you spend making something has to be worthwhile. You’ve got 20 productive years of work in your life; if you’re gonna spend ten or 15 percent of it on something, make it worthwhile.

He's talking about creative bankruptcy. You know who makes games for perceived demographics? Activision and Electronic Arts - they are in it for money, they make games only to sell to a demographic that will buy their junk. Are their games creative? I dunno, is Call of Duty creative anymore? Tameem is talking about not trying to please some fictitious group of customers with what you or they think they want, you make what you believe will actually be worth playing. I'm sure pretty much all game devs agree on that, artists create things worth experiencing, businessmen create things they want you to buy.

It's totally possible to create a paint-by-numbers success, something that will have just what a bunch of consumers will pay money for - but it'll lack soul. All the best games are what they are because they were unique and fun, and made by people who thought they'd be fun games; stuff like Okami, GodHand, the original Devil May Cry, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid, the list goes on, man.

Also take note that at no point was what he said at all about Ninja Theory addressing complaints about DmC, it was about that insanely silly sales goal Capcom originally had for the game. So the article really has nothing to do with your point >.> Congrats on being the millionth person to try to take that out of context. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 Red Orbs.

Now please stop, you're getting far too off topic.

Judge

Everything that was happening in limbo is scripted as such it doesn't demand as much power as non scripted events. 60 fps was never intended for this game: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.393108-Capcom-Explains-Why-30-FPS-Isnt-That-Bad

Demo is there to judge gameplay, otherwise demo doesn't make sense. And complains about difficulty was there ever since demo and early gameplay builds. Including videos of people one-hit-killing Poison and not falling style meter. Manual lock-on was complained since demo's flying enemies. All this concerns was genuinely ignored and as such half of criticism AFTER release could have been prevented, if NT was acting as open-minded people and listen what their potential customers have to say instead of making games for themselves.

I'm not trying to get the thread locked, but you just won't stop. The only thing to say is:

"And besides not that DmC runs at steady 30 fps as well. It's not that demanding to have 60fps when you know how to do it."

According to you. Are you prepared to admit this is your own opinion, and that the evidence is in contradiction with your opinion. Don't you think if Capcom could've done it in the first place they would have? They had to comprimise. You might consider that false. You are entitled to that opinion. Yet you can't force anyone else to believe that.

"And complains about difficulty was there ever since demo and early gameplay builds."

Your complaining about the difficulty. Yet we would like to see your DMD videos and your leaderbaord scores to back this up. You can't expect us to believe what your saying without giving us proof first. I want to see your DMD videos, and your DMD leaderboard scores if you expect me to believe the game is without difficulty.

Is that not fair?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Uuuuuh...it doesn't matter if it's scripted, it's literally just the fact that so many things are happening onscreen at once from both player, enemies, and environment, that the console can't showcase it all properly, and thus horribly laggy framerate happens. Ask anyone else here who knows how systems handle framerate.
Scripted event doesn'T take half of a power non-scripted does. There are literally no excuse for 60 fps.

I'm beginning to think you don't know how this stuff works. For one thing, the game was intended to be at a locked 30fps because of the decisions they made with the game concept, eg Limbo. The article you linked even says that - "the game's lowered framerate is down to its engine - the game is using the UE3 engine rather than Capcom's in-house MT-Framework - and the fancy level-shifting shenanigans". And I'm honestly not quite buyin' the mention that UE3 was part of the decision, considering UE3 can totally run things at 60fps, and more. The consistent thing mentioned in numerous places was that because the environments were so chaotic, it put too much strain on the system to run both character and environmental action.
IT's article from Capcom themselves talking on behalf of NT. Most likely they KNEW it could run it, but weren't able to do it, since none of NT games are really perfectly programmed.

And the demo only included the first three difficulty modes, not the highest difficulty nor the novelty modes that people like to play on, and early gameplay builds at conventions (where you couldn't choose your difficulty) were set to the easiest setting so anyone walking up to the booth could get into the game without having their butt handed to them.
and even than it was TO easy.

And that stuff was addressed and fixed, or was a bug that not everyone experienced because it wasn't the completed product, and we are constantly reminded that as an unfinished product that is also segmented bits of code, a demo might jigger up sometimes. Alex Jones was actually asked during a panel about the video of a guy doing Tremor three times on a stunned Poison getting a SSS, and that was fixed. It was fixed a long time ago, but the build they were showing to the public was becoming increasingly old..
It was fixed with patch. But not from a day 1 version, because they didn't listened to complains. People still were able to one-hit enemies due to to OP powers of arbiter+ demon dodge.

Complained by stubborn players who refused to learn this game's specific targeting mechanics. I have no idea how so many players can claim to be great at DMC but have so much trouble with such a simple mechanism that so many others have conquered, and have gameplay videos of them doing so. Hell, our very own OppressedWriter had a no damage playthrough of the game on DMD and he never had any problems using the game's soft lock against flying enemies. I never had any problems using the soft lock on flying enemies either, and I'm an average-at-best player....
It's still a problem for the rest. It was problem spoken off. Refusal to aknowledge it, didn't do it any good.

He's talking about creative bankruptcy. You know who makes games for perceived demographics? Activision and Electronic Arts - they are in it for money, they make games only to sell to a demographic that will buy their junk. Are their games creative? I dunno, is Call of Duty creative anymore? Tameem is talking about not trying to please some fictitious group of customers with what you or they think they want, you make what you believe will actually be worth playing. I'm sure pretty much all game devs agree on that, artists create things worth experiencing, businessmen create things they want you to buy.

It's totally possible to create a paint-by-numbers success, something that will have just what a bunch of consumers will pay money for - but it'll lack soul. All the best games are what they are because they were unique and fun, and made by people who thought they'd be fun games; stuff like Okami, GodHand, the original Devil May Cry, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid, the list goes on, man.

Also take note that at no point was what he said at all about Ninja Theory addressing complaints about DmC, it was about that insanely silly sales goal Capcom originally had for the game. So the article really has nothing to do with your point >.> Congrats on being the millionth person to try to take that out of context. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 Red Orbs.

Now please stop, you're getting far too off topic.
Actually you pretty much derails what he said. He was talking about making games HE should enjoy. Which is plain wrong from a get go. Making games is more than making art. It's also includes taking design decisions and making game more enjoyable for people who may play it, and that including artistic side as well. For small notice: Kamiya never plays his own games, while people like Tameem makes games that HE should enjoy. It may work, but it still very narrowminded policy, and like I said. 90% of gameplay flaws and criticism could have been avoided from a get go, if he just listened to people around him

I'm not trying to get the thread locked, but you just won't stop. The only thing to say is:

"And besides not that DmC runs at steady 30 fps as well. It's not that demanding to have 60fps when you know how to do it."

According to you. Are you prepared to admit this is your own opinion, and that the evidence is in contradiction with your opinion. Don't you think if Capcom could've done it in the first place they would have? They had to comprimise. You might consider that false. You are entitled to that opinion. Yet you can't force anyone else to believe that.
Im not forcing anyone. you may believe whatever suits you best. But for me stuff they included in "definitive" edition should have been there all along and not added in last minute to grab some more cash from customers.

Your complaining about the difficulty. Yet we would like to see your DMD videos and your leaderbaord scores to back this up. You can't expect us to believe what your saying without giving us proof first. I want to see your DMD videos, and your DMD leaderboard scores if you expect me to believe the game is without difficulty.

Is that not fair?
Well, for one I'm not obliged to excuse myself to anybody. And for second I beaten games like Ninja Gaidens Sigma 2 on highest diff., against which DmC is a joke. It took me 3 days to get plat. for DmC, since i never stuck on a single fight and the only close to hard part was Vergil on HaH. And seriously you must be pretty novice to action games to have trouble beating DmC on all difficulties. Of course people like this exist, it's not wrong or anything, but it won't make DmC any harder

berto

I Saw the Devil
Are you guys really still at it?

You are not going to convince the other one that they are wrong, just let it go. I don't want the one thread for the Definitive Edition shut down before they start streaming on Capcom-Unity or other things start popping in the next 3 months.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I do wish there was more new story content outside of the new cutscenes (maybe there are more than one) but other than that, Im cool with this.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Fun fact: You can ignore the posts of people who are reknowned for being immune to logic.

Just saying. It would save a lot of stress, brain cells, and space on this thread.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I don't like to use ignore functions, because I don't find it right to silence someone for being unreasonable in one instance, forsaking all other instances of possible discussion.

Top Bottom