• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC Definitive Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

Devil Player

So, did they show anything new?

I only watched the ending of the stream, unfortunately...:(

I noticed they said Hollow Vergil will be shown next week.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I didn't think to ask but as I watched the stream I thought about it.

I'm wondering if there is a way to set up the controls for Vergil like they are in DMC3, to have one dodge and using the directional input to go up or down. Right now the only inputs available in Vergil's set up are the analog sticks and I don't like that for the lock on, I like it in the triggers.

GregaMan

I didn't think to ask but as I watched the stream I thought about it.

I'm wondering if there is a way to set up the controls for Vergil like they are in DMC3, to have one dodge and using the directional input to go up or down. Right now the only inputs available in Vergil's set up are the analog sticks and I don't like that for the lock on, I like it in the triggers.

I don't think it's quite like DMC3, but you can make it so, for example, Trick Up is L1 and Trick Down is R2+L1, leaving R1 open for Lock-On. Takes some getting used to for sure. I've found success mapping Lock-On to L3 but setting it to Toggle rather than Hold. But I only use lock-on for specific situations anyway.

@GregaMan

Why can't they have a costume where Vergil's eye glow is off? He looks better that way.

Weak Vergil's eyes don't glow! Nor do Classic Vergil's. If you're asking why Eye-Glow Vergil isn't available without Eye-Glow, well, that's because he's Eye-Glow Vergil. We'll just have to live with it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I don't think it's quite like DMC3, but you can make it so, for example, Trick Up is L1 and Trick Down is R2+L1, leaving R1 open for Lock-On. Takes some getting used to for sure. I've found success mapping Lock-On to L3 but setting it to Toggle rather than Hold. But I only use lock-on for specific situations anyway.
So you can have a multiple inputs for a function. How do you even set that up in the controller options? Do you just put the commands in?

You see, the way I set up the game is with what I call the Bayonetta set up, since I go back and forth with all these titles and so a 'universal' scheme makes transitions less confusing on the muscle memory. Since Bayonetta has the lock on on the R1 and dodge to R2 this works great for my personal settings. I still want to experiment some since I also still play a lot of DMC3 and going between VD and the layout for Vergil in 3 still gives me trouble but it's a start.

Last edited:

Dominus

I wonder if they will give Vergil and Dante DmC costumes in DMC4:SE... Hmm..

Oh and interesting video from the combat director (i think former of DmC, now creative director of DmC:DE). I guess some of the ease in the game when referring to parrying times makes sense in retrospect when considering how drastic cutting one frame is in 30 fps vs 60 fps engine. Also how turbo mode will probably have looked much choppier in 30 fps.. Though they could have added turbo mode to the PC version like DMC4 did..

Last edited:

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
I wonder if they will give Vergil and Dante DmC costumes in DMC4:SE... Hmm..

Oh and interesting video from the combat director (i think former of DmC, now creative director of DmC:DE). I guess some of the ease in the game when referring to parrying times makes sense in retrospect when considering how drastic cutting one frame is in 30 fps vs 60 fps engine. Also how turbo mode will probably have looked much choppier in 30 fps.. Though they could have added turbo mode to the PC version like DMC4 did..

Thanks for posting this! I think she's so badass. :D (But I'm guessing she's not very comfortable with video interviews lol)

Judge

That was a good interview, they finally explained about Turbo Mode and why it didn't make the cut for the vanilla edition. They explaned about tweaks and things like that.

If she's looking at this thread I would be interested to know what she thinks of Bayonetta 2. As a combat designer she must have thoughts on Bayonetta and how differently the system works to DmC. I would be interested in hearing what she thinks about that.

Also I would be interested in hearing about why they didn't include Taunts and why they didn't increase the moves. Since I felt those things were important, but I'm not complaining, just asking.

sssensational

Supporter 2014
Nothing, just wanted to show this off.

tumblr_njd0dj9GX01qlvbp1o1_400.jpg

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014

Ok, I'm jelly! Hope you get a red skin to match that awesome Light Bar Decal.

Except, they claim that DmC's PC sales were zero. That's as inaccurate as one can possibly get.
+
What is their PC sales, then? Obviously not but is it low enough that it rounds off to that?
I'm pretty sure VGChartz only tracks physical unit sales, not digital (DmC PC ver. was digital only as far as I'm aware.) But boy, is VGC'z a can of worms. I personally take a look at there numbers to get a general idea of sales with a grain of salt, not the end-all authority of sales accuracy; their DMC3/SE sales a case in point.

sssensational

Supporter 2014
I'm pretty sure VGChartz only tracks physical unit sales, not digital (DmC PC ver. was digital only as far as I'm aware.) But boy, is VGC'z a can of worms. I personally take a look at there numbers to get a general idea of sales with a grain of salt, not the end-all authority of sales accuracy; their DMC3/SE sales a case in point.

It wasn't digital only but physical copies are darn hard to find! I'm glad I have a physical copy. But nowadays you save a lot of money by buying it during the Steam sale, yes.

mother, i now understand what envy means

I also wanted to customize my controller, but I have no idea what I want with it. Maybe a red skin with the rebellion sign? But I don't want it on the right side only, because I'm a little OCD. But I can't have the rebellion twice on my controller. Maybe yamato with it? I don't know, we'll see.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Also I would be interested in hearing about why they didn't include Taunts and why they didn't increase the moves. Since I felt those things were important, but I'm not complaining, just asking.

Well, the usual reasoning for the lack of taunts was because the game was built more around the cinematic and story-driven aspects, and they didn't want you in a climactic and highly emotional battle to just have Dante taunt with "C'mawn wimp!" Granted this could have been easily remedied with scripted taunts - like the ones that already pop up in most boss fights, but I do understand that. It made battles with Vergil in DMC3 just the slightest bit silly, despite the amount of pathos we're supposed to get.

As for not adding more moves, it's most likely because to add more moves would require a great deal of rebalancing to everything else. If one thing gets a move, others have to get more as well, the entire system has to be retweaked to balance their inclusion, and then it'd end up taking damn near another year to release, just to implement those new ideas. Plus, they very well might not be budgeted for that amount of effort, either.

Oooo das hot!

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
It wasn't digital only but physical copies are darn hard to find! I'm glad I have a physical copy. But nowadays you save a lot of money by buying it during the Steam sale, yes.
Ah, yes. I faintly remember seeing a PEGI rated box. :D

I also wanted to customize my controller, but I have no idea what I want with it. Maybe a red skin with the rebellion sign? But I don't want it on the right side only, because I'm a little OCD. But I can't have the rebellion twice on my controller. Maybe yamato with it? I don't know, we'll see.
One being Rebellion red and the other being Yamato blue with matching signs would be cool. But I look forward to seeing whatever you do!

Judge

Well, the usual reasoning for the lack of taunts was because the game was built more around the cinematic and story-driven aspects, and they didn't want you in a climactic and highly emotional battle to just have Dante taunt with "C'mawn wimp!" Granted this could have been easily remedied with scripted taunts - like the ones that already pop up in most boss fights, but I do understand that. It made battles with Vergil in DMC3 just the slightest bit silly, despite the amount of pathos we're supposed to get.

As for not adding more moves, it's most likely because to add more moves would require a great deal of rebalancing to everything else. If one thing gets a move, others have to get more as well, the entire system has to be retweaked to balance their inclusion, and then it'd end up taking damn near another year to release, just to implement those new ideas. Plus, they very well might not be budgeted for that amount of effort, either.

You make a good point actually... Although Gregaman has hinted at a new video alongside the ones we've been watching every Wednesday. I'm hoping they have something special saved for us.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Meh, I think if you don't want Dante to perform his usual cocky taunts in a thematic battle, just don't use them. Don't press the button. It's what I did. You don't just completely remove them cause of that. Taunts are one of the things that get me pumped and satisfied the most in Devil May Cry, especially Nero's.
When the DE was announced, I hoped that they would rework the controls to include them again. Oh well, nevermind I guess, but it's a shame for me personally.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Meh, I think if you don't want Dante to perform his usual cocky taunts in a thematic battle, just don't use them. Don't press the button. It's what I did. You don't just completely remove them cause of that. Taunts are one of the things that get me pumped and satisfied the most in Devil May Cry, especially Nero's.

Now see, that's slightly contradictory. Taunts are an integral part of the classic DMC - for both magic generation and Style retention (as well as just looking cool), but to prevent emotional scenes from losing their pathos you should just not use an integral part of game's combat system?

For what we think of taunts, they just aren't an integral part of DmC's combat; the game wasn't built around having them in mind. In fact, part of the reason why people believe the Style system is "too lenient" is to balance for the exclusion of a function that used to retain Style (I got this answer during a Dev Q&A at Capcom-Unity, wonder if I can still find it). It's actually gonna be weird to see how things change now that they've made changes to the grading system in Hardcore, but still don't have the taunt function to go along with it.

The best way to have countered that was to just make the taunts scripted during specific encounters, considering Dante still has some choice words for bosses.

Top Bottom