• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC and DMC

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
If it was just about sales then DmC would've been a lot worse. NT theory know they getting attention because the title they are working on has DMC in the name. The same way how we all perk our ears up when we hear Zelda. We know that brand and that name. They could've been like "Oh well sales is important so just shove some crap in there and it'll sell" but instead they put a lot of creative ideas into this and AND have been working on it for 3 years, PLUS we haven't had a DMC in 5 years. DmC isn't about the sales but giving us the best experience.

Giving us the best experience is part of NT's plan to make the game sell as well as possible. To make a game sell well, you need to put some thought into it, of course. But I'm saying they don't care if you like the game. Instead, they care about how good their game is in terms of gameplay, graphics and so on. That means they won't be shoving some crap in there.

Frazz

General gamer
Giving us the best experience is part of NT's plan to make the game sell as well as possible. To make a game sell well, you need to put some thought into it, of course. But I'm saying they don't care if you like the game. Instead, they care about how good their game is in terms of gameplay, graphics and so on. That means they won't be shoving some crap in there.
To me this is the way all games should be made as conforming to the masses is ridiculous imo.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
To me this is the way all games should be made as conforming to the masses is ridiculous imo.

Definitely. And that's why things like 'made to appeal to a western audience' bug me so much. At least there are some developers who don't care about that. For example, I loved Bayonetta, and it wasn't made to appeal to anyone, I think. It's just good. Period. Metal Gear Solid is just good too.

8BitHero

Scrub
Which they haven't done. NT made DmC for us. It now comes down to what the userbase thinks of their game designs/ideas.
For games like DmC/Alice: Madness/Catherine/El Shaddai, sales aren't important, it's about making an awesome game regardless if they sell because they will have that fanbase. I'm sure most of us love Okami/Bayonetta and that game didn't even hit the millions but we all know that game is amazing. They may not of sold well but it gave me a bloody damn good experience. If DmC was about the sales, Capcom (AND THIS IS DLC HQ REMEMBER) would've milked the series to death. As sad as it sounds, I'm know Platinum games know their games sell insanely bad but it doesn't stop them from creating awesome games.
Fugg the masses! If you like it - buy it.

Edit: This also comes back to my point earlier. Even though this game is about giving us the best experience, NT should then take on any constructive feedback we have said. Game Design isn't a one way system. Taunting, faster combat(just add Turbo) and Hard-lock for example, we want it and would improve our experience and isn't feedback that's insulting to NT.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Which they haven't done. NT made DmC for us. It now comes down to what the userbase thinks of their game designs/ideas.
For games like DmC/Alice: Madness/Catherine/El Shaddai, sales aren't important, it's about making an awesome game regardless if they sell because they will have that fanbase. I'm sure most of us love Okami/Bayonetta and that game didn't even hit the millions but we all know that game is amazing. They may not of sold well but it gave me a bloody damn good experience. If DmC was about the sales, Capcom (AND THIS IS DLC HQ REMEMBER) would've milked the series to death. As sad as it sounds, I'm know Platinum games know their games sell insanely bad but it doesn't stop them from creating awesome games.
Fugg the masses! If you like it - buy it.

I'm not sure what to think, actually. DmC was indeed created for us (the western audience, quote), which I think is a bad thing. They should just say ''We don't care what you think about it, we're going to make it anyway, because this is what a game should look like according to us''. That's what Kojima Productions do too, and their games do well nonetheless. Solid Snake is what Hideo Kojima thinks is cool, I believe - it's not tailored for us.

Well, it'll be about a certain figure of sales. If they say they want it to sell at least 500.000 units in a year, they need to make it to that number, otherwise the game's done for.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
Good one.
132816139877-OhWaitYoureSerious.png

You seriously think that it's properly marketed. With Tameem being the idiot he has been saying Dante wasn't cool, to the fanbase that LOVES DANTE, and then Alex Jones LAUGHING AT THE FANS.

Take your pony **** and shove it up your ass. If I got death threats and became public enemy number one just for doing my job I would laugh at the fans too.

And he never said that Dante wasn't cool you idiot. He just said that what was cool back then isn't cool anymore, which is his opinion.

8BitHero

Scrub
I'm not sure what to think, actually. DmC was indeed created for us (the western audience, quote), which I think is a bad thing. They should just say ''We don't care what you think about it, we're going to make it anyway, because this is what a game should look like according to us''. That's what Kojima Productions do too, and their games do well nonetheless. Solid Snake is what Hideo Kojima thinks is cool, I believe - it's not tailored for us.

Well, it'll be about a certain figure of sales. If they say they want it to sell at least 500.000 units in a year, they need to make it to that number, otherwise the game's done for.
There's a difference. (Feel free to correct me) but Hideo Kojima never stated he "think this is cool based on Japanese story telling/design". If anything Metal Gear Solid caters greatly to the west since it's to do with American Politics, Miltia, Government and weapons. But, that's what Hideo Kojima thinks is a good/cool story based on his own ideas, not from where he was born. (Again correct me if he did state that).

I agree NT saying that "this is a Western telling of DmC is bad". So much so that I checked pages 8 and 9 and found Western being mentioned over 100 times(with quotes). I complete agree, it's BS and damaging the gaming industry. But it doesn't stop DmC being a bad game.

I have a strong feeling DmC will easily make 500k (unless they're talking about the end of the fiscal year which is March). But I don't see this game flopping...just having mixed reception(like Deadly Premonition, though that also had low sales).

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
There's a difference. (Feel free to correct me) but Hideo Kojima never stated he "think this is cool based on Japanese story telling/design". If anything Metal Gear Solid caters greatly to the west since it's to do with American Politics, Miltia, Government and weapons. But, that's what Hideo Kojima thinks is a good/cool story based on his own ideas, not from where he was born.

I agree NT saying that "this is a Western telling of DmC is bad". So much so that I checked pages 8 and 9 and found Western being mentioned over 100 times(with quotes). I complete agree, it's BS and damaging the gaming industry. But it doesn't stop DmC being a bad game.

I have a strong feeling DmC will easily make 500k (unless they're talking about the end of the fiscal year which is March). But I don't see this game flopping...just having mixed reception(like Deadly Premonition, though that also had low sales).

Yup, that's what he thinks is cool. I don't think anyone who's from the US will necessarily enjoy games that have something to do with American politics, military and weapons. Besides, it's incredibly Japanese in most respects (a guy in MGS3 who has control over lightning, a guy who acts exactly like a chameleon, etc).

I didn't say NT said a western view on DMC is bad, I meant that NT and Capcom created the game to be interesting to western audiences. I think that's a bad thing. No developer should create games to be appealing to any group of people. They should just create games the way they want to.

I agree, it definitely won't flop. That's just how I think it will turn out, though (please, nobody kick me from the forums :p)

Frazz

General gamer
Yup, that's what he thinks is cool. I don't think anyone who's from the US will necessarily enjoy games that have something to do with American politics, military and weapons. Besides, it's incredibly Japanese in most respects (a guy in MGS3 who has control over lightning, a guy who acts exactly like a chameleon, etc).

I didn't say NT said a western view on DMC is bad, I meant that NT and Capcom created the game to be interesting to western audiences. I think that's a bad thing. No developer should create games to be appealing to any group of people. They should just create games the way they want to.

I agree, it definitely won't flop. That's just how I think it will turn out, though (please, nobody kick me from the forums :p)
I agree to an extent as yes trying to appeal to the west does narrow their vision a little but in all honestly apart from the character designs everything else is standard DMC and not just for the West. In this respect they have made it in their own vision mixed with more western designs and the DMC series.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Yes, you're absolutely right.

Alright, I'm going to be offline for a while again. Going to play some Fallout 3 again, and possibly some DMC HD. Ah, memories :p

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I agree to an extent as yes trying to appeal to the west does narrow their vision a little but in all honestly apart from the character designs everything else is standard DMC and not just for the West. In this respect they have made it in their own vision mixed with more western designs and the DMC series.
I wonder how many Japanese fans or Japanese people new to the series will buy this DmC.

DMCGamer1989

Glad to see that most of you like both iterations of the Devil May Cry franchise, with less that 2 weeks till the big event, we should be celebrating. ignoring those youtube trolls that try to act "with the times" by calling fans of the original series "nostalgic fanboys" and we all know how DmC haters act, hopefully those of us who love the franchise unconditionally will have 2 worlds to enjoy.

Top Bottom