• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC 5, the psycological evaluation of Dante

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRose

Kael
I believe the new devil may cry is going to be a psychological
evaluation of Dante as he grew up and became the Dante that we know and love
today. Now as funny, and light hearted Dante is in the later games you can
observe that he does have his potentially “asshole” moments, which of course we
all do but if you also look at his fighting styles when he’s fighting with
demons you’ll notice that his style is rather brutal and relentless and in a
macabre way he does derive a sick sense of pleasure from it. Now question…for
someone so light hearted how did he gain this dark side to him? I believe that
answer will lie within the new Dante. This new Dante is the Dante that we know
at his youngest, more rebellious and adolescent years, most likely at the time
where he was known as Anthony or “Tony” Redgrave. Now from research, that I’ve
done and the general psychological knowledge I posess, this particular time in
his history was when he had almost forgotten his “real” name, which is why I
believe that when Dante’s being interrogated in the trailer he’s not answering,
because he doesn’t quite know himself. This is when he is questioning his own existence
and the responsibilities he may face by taking on his true name.
Now when Dante was a child his mother was ripped apart by demons, he may have even witnessed
such brutality, which would have made him aware of how relentless demons are,
which would cause him to take no mercy on his own demonic challenges. Where he
gets his twisted pleasure in killing is from his demonic side. In all reality,
Dante despises his demon side, and he hates the fact that he derives pleasure
from his carnal instinct to kill but as he becomes older he realizes that no
matter what those feelings will never go away and aims his bloodlust at demons
to protect mankind. When he was younger though he was practically suicidal and
was looking to possibly be overcome by taking on an insane mission but he just
ended up becoming the best of the best in the mercenary underworld.
Yes, Dante was suicidal at one point, and looked to many ways to kill himself without
doing it outright per say. When he realized that it really was not going to
work he actually became rather miserable and antisocial, which in many aspects
he still is today. He only rarely has visitors and even then, his visitors are
more like business associates than actual “friends” making it so he can become detached
without feeling any real guilt, so you could even go as far as to say that
Dante does have commitment issues. Dante is afraid of becoming close to someone
he loves and the answer lies within his mother’s death. Dante was very attached
to his mother and when she died, he was devastated as any young child would be.
Without a mother, a father, or even his brother around Dante wandered the
streets aimlessly completely torn and afraid for his own life. Now think, how
would you turn out if all that happened to you? You would be pretty screwed up
too right? You would be angry, depressed, and all sorts of huge emotions right?
To have so many strong emotions fill you at once is an overload for a child and
growing up with these strange instincts and desires would have been scary. With
no one to express to and for no one to understand would have also been
frustrating and depressing as well. So naturally Dante would have become as
everyone says “Emo” though when said like that in reference to the stereotype and
not the actual psychological evaluation of it all, it makes it look bad. Also,
in addition to emotional torment, he would have started developing and his body
would have started to rage with hormones, like any normal adolescent, so his
emotions would have escalated and become unbalanced making him angrier, even
more depressed and uncaring to a world that didn’t really care about him. I
would also think that because of his hatred towards society at this point in
his existence he would have been in and out of juvenile halls or possibly even
jails like a revolving door. Which is why I think that interrogation room is
part of a jail unit, and the reason he’s chained up is because he’s too
powerful and dangerous to be meddled with, and he was most likely drugged to
make him passive. As for prior drug use I couldn’t say but it could be very
probable but would most likely not be depicted in the game for reasons within
our own society. Also at this point in his life Dante isn’t really fighting
demons to help mankind, he’s doing it for more selfish reasons actually. He’s
doing it as an act of vengeance for his mother’s death, and as a way for him to
express himself, which is why he’s so destructive. At this point and even later
in his life, his relentless and brutal ways of killing are an emotional release
and his destructiveness to everything around him is one in the same. Later on
he realizes that he can utilize his destructive means to create a business and
become an entrepreneur as well as help a society that still doesn’t exactly
want him until his help is truly needed. In all reality, Dante is hated by many
people, and he always will be until his help for certain situations is required,
then people change their tune. Anyway, as I could go on for several pages, this is a general statement of the reason for the new look for Dante and a small psychological evaluation of the history of our beloved character. I wrote this so people can read it and truly understand how the Ninja Theory company may be looking at
this. Yes they took some creative liberty but they did so on psychological evaluations
of the character and not for reasons that everyone else seems to be assuming.
if anyone has questions that I did not cover in the above statement please feel free to comment! thank you for reading and I hoped you all enjoyed reading it as I did writing it.

There is a thread "DMC theories" for reason.....

Anyways I like your theory, you really got to him....the only thing I don't like is that you think he was suicidal at one point (just doesn't fit for me).
Change your font color dude, I lost my vision while reading this xD

RedRose

Kael
There is a thread "DMC theories" for reason.....

Anyways I like your theory, you really got to him....the only thing I don't like is that you think he was suicidal at one point (just doesn't fit for me).
Change your font color dude, I lost my vision while reading this xD
will do, and for the suicidal intentions, as i said in my statement this is my thoughts on this with reaserch i've done, so there may be points that are debateable but still i appreciate your aceptance ^^ thank you.

as fot the theory thread, i didn't really see it, sorry bout that ^^'

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Cool article, work on your grammar next time.
i rather see a scene where Dante admits that he once tried to commit suicide but he didnt go threw with it because he wanted to live more than anything else.
But i never bought in with Dante's desire to help people because he seemed too apathetic or careless but thats probably because of the ****ty writing that Four and the animated series had.
Other than that, i always thought nero was more compassionate but that is just me.

RedRose

Kael
Cool article, work on your grammar next time.
i rather see a scene where Dante admits that he once tried to commit suicide but he didnt go threw with it because he wanted to live more than anything else.
But i never bought in with Dante's desire to help people because he seemed too apathetic or careless but thats probably because of the ****ty writing that Four and the animated series had.
Other than that, i always thought nero was more compassionate but that is just me.

nero is much more compasionate than Dante, but that's because Dante has his reasons for being slightly resentful to some people, but it's only people who allow themselves to be corrupted knowing full-well of their intentions.
As for grammar, i would have done a better job and I might go back and do a less scatterbrained revision of this but i did this at like, 5-6 in the morning so my brain function wasn't at 100%. Thank you for the observation though. There's so much more that I could add to this and I really want to so it can be used in refrence. I know some people are already informed and have a good idea of how Dante thinks but not everyone does, so I think there needs to be a refrence like this for people who don't really know to get a better understanding in a more or less non-biased manner.

Dante'sgirl

Forever For Dante
Nice one...Good job!! I somehow like it when you mentioned that Tony had suicidal tendencies because it does fit his image... but hello I said 'Tony' not Dante because the Dante we all know will not show us a scene where he wants to cut his wrist with the Rebellion. Hence the image of a suicidal youth suits the young Dante who I prefer to call Tony. Good point!!

Mr Anderson

gun slinging sword master
I like the theory and it seems the most reasonable given what we know of Dante the old one and the new one I like it but I still think it might be an alternate universe I don't know my theory was based off the dante from all the old games so I like that you actually looked into his past as a person instead of a game character.

RedRose

Kael
I like the theory and it seems the most reasonable given what we know of Dante the old one and the new one I like it but I still think it might be an alternate universe I don't know my theory was based off the dante from all the old games so I like that you actually looked into his past as a person instead of a game character.

thank you ^^ I've been a big fan of the series for a long time and I've read both of the novels, both of the mangas and I've watched the anime, and even though the stories varry from one another slightly they do have many similarities. What i've tried to do is gather the similar information and closely observe how Dante reacts to things in his enviornment, to people, to demons, everything and tried to scrapulate an idea of how he may work, so in all aspects I could be very wrong, I mean there are alot of gaps within the story, and I'm also not a psychologist.

what this statement is mostly about is really, don't judge a book by its cover before you read the summary. lots of people are hating on the new Dante cause of just his looks, but there could be a very good reason he looks this way and if you do the research and try to piece together the puzzle yourself, you could be suprised that it may not be as bad as it looks. I was rather upset at first when I saw the new dante, and even nero in 4. in fact when i saw nero for the first time i hated him, but then i played the game and came to notice that he wasn't that bad of a character at all. now i love the character and would like to see more of his background. as for the new dante, i watched the trailer over and over and practicaly watched it in slow-mo to look for anything, and i've noticed lots of interesting things that lead me to believe my hypothesis. I've also watched almost all of the interviews from the producers to catch the way they phrase things to gather hints of what the new game may have in store and in the end this is what it came to in my eyes. it could be different but this is what i'm hoping for.

i think ninja theory may be going for something like what other companies are doing with assasin's creed and other big games that all have one thing in common that makes them one better than all the rest, character depth. Dante seems to in many ways lack that because of the fact that there are so many gaps in his past and he's a rather mysterious character still, i think ninja theory wants to break that mystery barrier and let us get to know the "real" dante and all of his inner workings. by doing that more people may become interested in the series. if there's one thing i've still noticed to this day is that i can go up to people and ask if they've ever played DMC and most say "no, i've never heard of it" i believe this is mostly for the fact that despite how many fans there are here, there are many people that disregard it and concider it a "button mash, hack and slash" game and not for something that has character depth like Red Dead Redemption, which was so powerful in its story that at the end when marston dies, i cried. i literaly cried. DMC doesn't have that powerful reaction, it doesn't envoke emotions that some of these other, newer games do. and i think that's what ninja theory's after.

RedRose

Kael
Nice one...Good job!! I somehow like it when you mentioned that Tony had suicidal tendencies because it does fit his image... but hello I said 'Tony' not Dante because the Dante we all know will not show us a scene where he wants to cut his wrist with the Rebellion. Hence the image of a suicidal youth suits the young Dante who I prefer to call Tony. Good point!!

yes, you are precisely right, though in my statement i use dante and tony loosely cause they are the same person but yes. when he proclaims himself as dante is when he, you could say crudely, grows a pair and realizes his responcibilites and sets aside those feelings.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
nero is much more compasionate than Dante, but that's because Dante has his reasons for being slightly resentful to some people, but it's only people who allow themselves to be corrupted knowing full-well of their intentions.
As for grammar, i would have done a better job and I might go back and do a less scatterbrained revision of this but i did this at like, 5-6 in the morning so my brain function wasn't at 100%. Thank you for the observation though. There's so much more that I could add to this and I really want to so it can be used in refrence. I know some people are already informed and have a good idea of how Dante thinks but not everyone does, so I think there needs to be a refrence like this for people who don't really know to get a better understanding in a more or less non-biased manner.

your grammar is fine, i just meant to avoid making it a wall of text next time.

On a unrelated note, i blame the ****ty writing that the animated series had for making Dante a has-been and a apathethic zombie. The reason why Dante needed to change was that they couldnt make him a compelling character anymore. He wasnt someone, you can care about. Outside of his cool exterior he was hollow and one hit only.

I think ninja theory can do it but i will wait and ssee.

RedRose

Kael
your grammar is fine, i just meant to avoid making it a wall of text next time.

On a unrelated note, i blame the ****ty writing that the animated series had for making Dante a has-been and a apathethic zombie. The reason why Dante needed to change was that they couldnt make him a compelling character anymore. He wasnt someone, you can care about. Outside of his cool exterior he was hollow and one hit only.

I think ninja theory can do it but i will wait and ssee.

i didn't like the wall of text myself but it was the only way it'd all fit, trust me i tried to space it out. -_-'

and yeah i do agree with you there, though i give the anime slightly more credit in saying it wasn't exactly hollow, but it definitely was shallow. i also think ninja theory has potential but with all the hate they're getting i just hope to god they haven't changed anything.

RedRose

Kael
depends on the change

idk, personaly i hate the idea of an artist giving in their artistic liberty just to make other people happy, i get it all the time and i despise it cause i'm trying to carve my own path. sure not everything that they're doing fits perfectly into the DMC picture but Ninja Theory isn't Capcom, thus their style's going to obviously be different, and not everyone's going to like it but that's part of the transition and eventualy those willing to accept those changes will still continue to be fans of DMC while others will decide to drop it, which is fine cause everyone has their own opinion. but from an artistic standpoint, i don't think they should change a thing. cause i look at it like this, my favorite artist in the world, Van Goh's artwork durning his time was ridiculed and rejected because in the eyes of the french it was hideous but now it's treasured because it was so unique for its time and if he had changed his style to fit society he wouldn't be nearly as reknown as he is today. now i understand that videogames arn't exactly "fine art" but still they are works of art none the less and i still feel the same about them as i do Van Goh.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Its funny you say that because it had reminding me of watching the vincent van gogh episode of doctor who and i loved it.
I get what youre saying but the main problem is that we cant tell it's dante from the get-go.

RedRose

Kael
Its funny you say that because it had reminding me of watching the vincent van gogh episode of doctor who and i loved it.
I get what youre saying but the main problem is that we cant tell it's dante from the get-go.

that's understandable, and i freaking love Dr. Who. *highfive*

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
*highfive*

Actually, i do want them to take some inspiration from Doctor Who because Doctor who never runs out of interesting ideas of where to go and what to do and Devil May Cry needs that because i am personally tired of the whole "fight an old guy who doesnt want to die with demons and a old castle". Lets go to Japan and fight samurai shinigamis, lets go to Atlantis and fight merman or race bird people in the sky, egypt fighting mummies etc.

But on topic, I get what you mean but as long as they can keep the spirit of the character intact, i dont mind taking artistic liberties with them.

RedRose

Kael
*highfive*

Actually, i do want them to take some inspiration from Doctor Who because Doctor who never runs out of interesting ideas of where to go and what to do and Devil May Cry needs that because i am personally tired of the whole "fight an old guy who doesnt want to die with demons and a old castle". Lets go to Japan and fight samurai shinigamis, lets go to Atlantis and fight merman or race bird people in the sky, egypt fighting mummies etc.

But on topic, I get what you mean but as long as they can keep the spirit of the character intact, i dont mind taking artistic liberties with them.

yeah i do get what you're saying but i don't want them to go too far with it either, doing something like that is kinda a double edged sword cause if they get "too creative" then it just ends up a big tacky mess. also almost all of the DMC games are almost a moral story of prevention of corruption and to not play god and other things as well which is why it seems kinda repetitive.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Isn't DMC a tacky mess already?
But i don't mind that is about morality and prevention of corruption. I just want them to find new ways of telling those stories.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
What I think they should do is delve into other mythologies. I think it'd be cool to see Dante wrestle with Greek or Roman demons, maybe go up against Harpies and Sirens and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom