• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC 2 Is Looking Possible at This Point...

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
This. The odds are not in our favor. :p. I mean their are people still waiting for heavenly sword 2.
Yep....sadly. NT just can't seem to get the sales with any of their games. Heavenly sword was left open for another game and Enslaved.
I'd like more of either of those games so long as they take what they learned from DmC and use it in the combat.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Since DmC is not their game, they would rather make a sequal to their own games.

I'd rather they make an all-new franchise that's similar to Darksiders (exploration + combat). And actually keep the lock-on this time around.

I'll admit that I wasn't crazy about either one of their previous games.

If they can make an all new IP with Enslaved, then they can start over again with an all-new game with a more... aesthetically please main character.

I know, I'm shallow. I admitted that in another thread.It's just that I just couldn't get myself to like the look of any of their previous main characters. That's another reason a new IP is (desperately) needed.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I was thinking they were expecting the sales to be low in this DmC,at least thats the idea they gave me from the interviews,because ppl need to get used to the idea of a new dante.so I think they gonna make DmC2.I mean after all this trouble they had with the reboot AND Vergil Downfall ending Im sure this is not the last time we see this Dante.I hope they give Vergil a bigger playable role in the story for the new one, not just a dlc,I mean the dlc was great but I want more Vergil xD

I disagree.

From what I gathered from the interviews before the game's release, Capcom fully expected it to succeed in some way or another.

Upon its announcement Capcom was expecting it to sell 5 Mill.

But after the reactions lowered it to 2 mill.

The reason why I think Capcom where expecting large numbers was that they even ADMITTED that they saw the negative backlash coming and even then they still where confident at 2 million.

IF there is anything Capcom has shown us in recent years is that they are all about money and sales, If they where expecting low sales for this game than I highly doubt they even would have bothered.

As I said earlier, they knew the negative backlash was coming, and yet they continued on, sounds like to me that they thought the number of new fans they would gain would far outweigh that of the ones they would potentially lose with the reboot.

While they did indeed gain many new fans, it still wasn't enough to even come close to their sales expectations.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I disagree.

From what I gathered from the interviews before the game's release, Capcom fully expected it to succeed in some way or another.

The reason why I think Capcom where expecting large numbers was that they even ADMITTED that they saw the negative backlash coming and even then they still where confident at 2 million.

IF there is anything Capcom has shown us in recent years is that they are all about money and sales, If they where expecting low sales for this game than I highly doubt they even would have bothered.

As I said earlier, they knew the negative backlash was coming, and yet they continued on, sounds like to me that they thought the number of new fans they would gain would far outweigh that of the ones they would potentially lose with the reboot.

While they did indeed gain many new fans, it still wasn't enough to even come close to their sales expectations.
You can't expect Devil May Cry to sell 5 million regardless of which version it would have been this day and age.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
You can't expect Devil May Cry to sell 5 million regardless of which version it would have been this day and age.

Tell that to Capcom lol.

I think that Capcom was either high or extremely confident upon this game's announcement when they made that projection.

But as the months went on and they saw the severity of the backlash they wised up to a more reasonable number.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Tell that to Capcom lol.

I think that Capcom was either high or extremely confident upon this game's announcement when they made that projection.

But as the months went on and they saw the severity of the backlash they wised up to a more reasonable number.
Really they should have been more reasonable with sales in the first place, then it wouldn't look so bad when they have to lower the sales.
They even wanted high sales for Resident evil 6 and those fell short. But at least that game sold more than DmC (was it 3million?)

It's like Capcom are living in the past. They're not the same as they once were, and their bad choices show that (at least for me). Plus they then try to shift the blame for those choices to others.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Tell that to Capcom lol.

It's not just Capcom. It's companies like Square-Enix as well. Lots. They are literally comparing themselves to the CoD amount for it to be considered a success.

Angelo Moreira

Vergil_Angelo
I disagree.

I only begin to get interested on DmC after its release to be honest,I wasnt sure the game would be good so I waited to be released and see it for myself (demos dont mean mutch to me xD ),so I missed that info.thanks for teling me that.now that u put it that way capcom does care a lot about money,maybe ill be lucky and DmC2 will happen I have hope after vergil ending =')

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Not even the originals would've sold 5 million XD Resident Evil 6 hasn't even sold that and that series is much more popular than Devil May Cry. When you compare it to other series, Devil May Cry isn't as big as other titles like Resident Evil or Metal Gear.

I think the reason why they said the 5 mil thing was them wanting to introduce more people into the series. But poor advertising in the early days wasn't a wise choice. I like DmC, but I still hate that debut trailer and how Dante originally looked in it. Even if there were things cool about it with the fighting, they should've worked more into having Dante look like Dante from the get go, instead of Capcom pushing Ninja Theory so hard into changing his design.

Don't get me wrong, I like the black mohawk and his look, but if a DmC2 happens that's one thing I'd want them to do, make Dante look like a Dante. He's already behaving like one by the end, now he just needs to dress up and get that demon hunting business up and running.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
It's not just Capcom. It's companies like Square-Enix as well. Lots. They are literally comparing themselves to the CoD amount for it to be considered a success.

Yea you see to many gaming companies aiming for that type of number now and its a shame really since it has raised the "sales bar" for game developers.

I get that as a business you want your game to get high sales, but people need to realize that COD is a "special beast" in today's gamer market and thus you simply just can't hope that 1 day your series will be able to reach those kinds of sales.

Especially series like Devil May Cry and Resident Evil which are both set in a different gaming market.

Hell, Capcom even outright stated that they want Resident Evil 6 to get those types of sales and it really shows that they are willing to even change Resident Evil's core product just to do it.

D H

Eh, Square Enix has a completely different problem: They don't know the meaning of the word "Budget". There is absolutely no reason why Tomb Raider's 3.6 million sales in 3 weeks, not counting digital sales; Hitman Absolution's 3.4 million in under 6 months, not counting digital sales; and Sleeping Dog's 1.75 million in 6 months not counting any digital sales and having the hurdle of being a new IP shouldn't have made Square Enix a pretty penny. Oh but of course... Square Enix just had to spend the extra tens of millions on building a brand new engine from scratch for Hitman. And then they just had to spend all of those millions of dollars on the advertisement. Millions, and millions, and millions of dollars. And for Tomb Raider... rumored to have had a 100 million dollar marketing push. ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLAR MARKETING PUSH! FOR THE GAME THAT EVERYONE ALREADY KNEW ABOUT! And Sleeping Dogs: 2 million+ sales for a New IP? Terrible! We were expecting 3 to 3.5 million sales from it!

Over 8.75 million sales in retail alone and well over 9 million with digital sales in less than 6 months and Square Enix still can't manage to stop bleeding money.

Oh, but of course we can't blame management! No. We have to blame SE's entire western audience for not buying enough of their product.

*Sigh* Sorry for the rant. But that whole fiasco just blew my mind.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yea you see to many gaming companies aiming for that type of number now and its a shame really since it has raised the "sales bar" for game developers.

I get that as a business you want your game to get high sales, but people need to realize that COD is a "special beast" in today's gamer market and thus you simply just can't hope that 1 day your series will be able to reach those kinds of sales.

Especially series like Devil May Cry and Resident Evil which are both set in a different gaming market.

Hell, Capcom even outright stated that they want Resident Evil 6 to get those types of sales and it really shows that they are willing to even change Resident Evil's core product just to do it.
It's companies thinking that some demographics don't even exist. Amnesia wouldn't have been both a critical and commercial success if if the horror fans they ignored really didn't exist. Look at X-COM:Enemy Unknown. It was original going to be a shooter reboot but when they decided to keep it as a RTS is freaking sold like hell and was awesome. Oh what do you know, RTS gamers exist as well.

There is proof that these different audiences exist and are ready to give developers their money for quality games to meet their needs. Yet the only crowd that supposedly exist is the shooter crowd and no matter how people try to copy them or be more like them, they've already been won over by their terrible army shooters. Why even bother?

Eh, Square Enix has a completely different problem: They don't know the meaning of the word "Budget". There is absolutely no reason why Tomb Raider's 3.6 million sales in 3 weeks, not counting digital sales; Hitman Absolution's 3.4 million in under 6 months, not counting digital sales; and Sleeping Dog's 1.75 million in 6 months not counting any digital sales and having the hurdle of being a new IP shouldn't have made Square Enix a pretty penny. Oh but of course... Square Enix just had to spend the extra tens of millions on building a brand new engine from scratch for Hitman. And then they just had to spend all of those millions of dollars on the advertisement. Millions, and millions, and millions of dollars. And for Tomb Raider... rumored to have had a 100 million dollar marketing push. ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLAR MARKETING PUSH! FOR THE GAME THAT EVERYONE ALREADY KNEW ABOUT! And Sleeping Dogs: 2 million+ sales for a New IP? Terrible! We were expecting 3 to 3.5 million sales from it!

Over 8.75 million sales in retail alone and well over 9 million with digital sales in less than 6 months and Square Enix still can't manage to stop bleeding money.

Oh, but of course we can't blame management! No. We have to blame SE's entire western audience for not buying enough of their product.

*Sigh* Sorry for the rant. But that whole fiasco just blew my mind.
It's entirely Square's fault. For one they are investing so much money in to games to literally compete with the biggest game on the market under this "obligation" that all AAA have to deliver the top notch presentation to capture the attention of the shooter crowd. Thing is I guarantee CoD doesn't even spend half as much because all they do is recycle the same game knowing damn well it will sell regardless.

Of course Square Enix has to spend money on top notch hollywood actors or new technology to render Lara Croft's hair to be as realistic as possible. Even though they totally f*cking don't need to do that. And not earning the unrealistic number you wished for is now considered a complete failure. Expecting that much money out of a certain game is like throwing all your money down a wishing well expecting miracles to happen.

Companies need to make the games they want to make, for the people who want them, and then they will not come out disappointed. CoD is the biggest game on the market and their audience likes eating the same crap over and over again. Aiming for that one demographic just because it's big is passing up the total missed potential to make some guaranteed cash because they are also there.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

Last edited by a moderator:

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
Not even the originals would've sold 5 million XD Resident Evil 6 hasn't even sold that and that series is much more popular than Devil May Cry. When you compare it to other series, Devil May Cry isn't as big as other titles like Resident Evil or Metal Gear.

I think the reason why they said the 5 mil thing was them wanting to introduce more people into the series. But poor advertising in the early days wasn't a wise choice. I like DmC, but I still hate that debut trailer and how Dante originally looked in it. Even if there were things cool about it with the fighting, they should've worked more into having Dante look like Dante from the get go, instead of Capcom pushing Ninja Theory so hard into changing his design.

Don't get me wrong, I like the black mohawk and his look, but if a DmC2 happens that's one thing I'd want them to do, make Dante look like a Dante. He's already behaving like one by the end, now he just needs to dress up and get that demon hunting business up and running.
I completely agree with you about the fact that presenting the new Dante like they did was a wrong choice, because it scared fans off from the very beginning. Although now I am personally not bothered by new Dante's appearance, I admit I was at first, and it took quite a lot of time to overcome this "obstacle".

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I wouldn't be surprised if any NT games suffer from low sales (unless if they're really good like DMC/Bayonetta/NG good or something of high quality) because they ****ed off a lot of people during the DmC PR. I even know non-die hard DMC fans who stated "due to their showcasing of immaturity during the DmC PR will never buy another game from NT. That they're behavior was sickening and wouldn't want to support a company such as them."

Then NT made it worst for themselves with the CGD (forgot what it was called) panel with all those DmC art and images. Whether whatever their message was that day (I'm sure it was pretty stupid and petty) people are ****ed and when Event Status comes out with that video exposing their...hypocrisy or something...like he promised a few weeks ago NT's reputation among consumers/general public will go down even further in the gutter.

Well its a possibility not a certainty.

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
Not gonna lie, I chuckled when I found out about the pics. Even if their intention wasn't to troll, out of all the movies they could've used as an example, they choose Broke Back Mountain as one of them....really? How would anyone not expect someone to take it the wrong way?

As far as DmC2 is concerned, I still think its a stretch. It'd be pretty gutsy to make a sequel to a game that was hated by a majority of the fans. Then again, I have always been told to expect the unexpected so who knows?

Yeah, it wasn't a big deal. I honestly would have never even heard about it if it weren't for this board. But I would be interested to see the actual presentation, its hard to know what what was being said.

IncarnatedDemon

Was DmC 2 cancelled?

"For DMC Devil May Cry, development will require five years due to the time needed to select development companies because of our decision to switch to external development," Haruhiro Tsujimoto said. "But our goal is to reduce the cycle to 2.5 years for subsequent titles in this series."
Earlier this week, Capcom announced a January 15, 2013, launch date for the Ninja Theory-developed DMC: Devil May Cry. That would put a sequel to the title in summer or fall of 2015. Devil May Cry 4 was released in January of 2008.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/capcom-aims-for-more-devil-may-cry-in-2015-6378261

Q. Were any of the titles under development that you canceled to be released in the current
fiscal year ending March 2014?
A. There were a few titles scheduled for the current fiscal year, but most of the cancelations
were for releases planned in the fiscal year ending March 2015 and subsequent fiscal years.
No titles that had already been announced were canceled.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2012/full/explanation_2012_full_02.pdf

Possibly. Capcom president said they want to create DmC game ever 2.5 years but it might take 5 years because of outsourcing it.

IT SEEMS like DmC 2 was cancelled, but i would say the probabiity of that is not good.

Top Bottom