• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DmC 2 Is Looking Possible at This Point...

Chimera Khaos

Hades Leading General Commander
Wikipedia users are dumbasses, they think it's sold that much because some journalist screwed up, I saw some idiot post on the DmC Wikipedia page that DmC sold 1.15 million. It was Capcom's expectation, not sales.
Pretty much, nowadays you can barely get straight facts cuz of someone in the system screwing it all up :/...

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Pretty much, nowadays you can barely get straight facts cuz of someone in the system screwing it all up :/...
It doesn't really matter what Wikipedia or journalists say, the fact is DmC and RE6 failed Capcom and even most of their fans so there are gonna be big changes to both franchises if they want them to continue, Resident Evil obviously has to return to what it's supposed to be or The Evil Within is gonna take its crown, Devil May Crys Dante has to be crazy cool again and ditch the story driven crap or Metal Gear Risings Raiden will be the new Hack n Slash champ from now on and Dante will remembered as the most hated character in the HnS genre.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
We'll see if Capcom doesn't be as lazy as they were like when they developed DMC4; if they still are, then it's DMC4 all over again... That's what I'm skeptical about if Capcom indeed goes back to the original series, i.e. DMC5! I don't want DMC5 to be a complete DMC4 rehash! Otherwise, I'd like to critique it as "Lazy ass Capcom redoing DMC4..."

Also, if Capcom makes DmC2, I just hope it's an improved DmC, no matter the amount of improvement, be it in gameplay (this needed to be made a whole lot better!), value (I still liked the fact you can do Secret Missions without going to the specific main Mission where that Secret Mission is located, but I want something more than this for good game value), and story (DmC's story is great, but could've been made better by a little bit).

D H

As others have pointed out, that article was before DmC came out. Since then, Capcom has had to revise sales expectations twice for a total of 850,000 under what they wanted and this could be revised even further as DmC's actual sales have stalled out at around 700,000 to 800,000; their belief they could bring fans back into the fold proved false; their plan in bring in new fans failed for the most part; user scores on sites that weren't affected by fan backlash for the most part have still ended up being lower that Devil May Cry 1, 3, and 4 all across the board; the game currently has the distinction of having the worst sales in franchise history; and the Vergil DLC reviewed horribly on Metacritic. Not to mention that all the competition outsold DmC by a healthy margin (God of War and Metal Gear are 300,000+ sales ahead with less time, fewer platforms, and without the benefit of digital sales for the most part) and even the HD collection is still ahead in sales.

Honestly, at this point, Capcom might just cut their losses. They clearly weren't happy enough with Devil May Cry 4's sales and reception and they clearly can't be happy with DmC: Devil may Cry's sales and fan reception. Capcom might not wait for the franchise to rack up that third strike.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Honestly, at this point, Capcom might just cut their losses. They clearly weren't happy enough with Devil May Cry 4's sales and reception and they clearly can't be happy with DmC: Devil may Cry's sales and fan reception. Capcom might not wait for the franchise to rack up that third strike.
At this point i wonder if Capcom can realize their own mistakes. They have their own niches but they want another allready fulfilled because it is bigger and they think it is possible to eat a cake and have it.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
I want a reboot of DMC 4, "donte" can be introduced as nero and they can tweak the backstory a little make Eva an angel.
Bring trish and lady back. And the most important thing... VERGIL. Bring him back somehow, please. DMC is just not the same without vergil :(

REAPER 3142

Revenge Solves Everything..............
i hope they do make another DmC.......seems kinda dumb to start a reboot and stop after that. plus i understand that they had high expectations, but 1 million sold doesnt sound bad to me. i mean come on thats a pretty big number to seem dissapointed about. i get that it hasnt sold as much as the previous dmc games, but thats still a decent size fan base. i personally loved this game. one of my favorites.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
This thread depresses me. -_-

There will never be a DmC2. If they make one, then it will be almost exactly like DMC1 (with Dante having to hunt Mundus down (and maybe the other "demon kings" as well) in hell or something) so that they can please the fans. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it's just that there won't be message behind the story (like in the last game), which I really liked.

If the Devil May Cry franchise does comes back, then it will have a 99% chance of it being DMC5. Nero perhaps will be killed off unceremoniously, then Dunte swears revenge (because story -- and fanbase not liking Nero as much).

Anyway, this shouldn't even be an issue. DMC5 will come back eventually, then all will be right the the world.

Why? Because DmC supporters won't care either way. As long as the whining stops, it won't matter. :/

NathanielEssex

The only Devil May Cry game that I really didn't like was the second one. I thought Capcom dropped the ball on that one. Especially when you compared it to how great the 1st one was. But, I felt Capcom bounced back pretty well with the 3rd one. I feel that even though DmC didn't get the super huge numbers they initially wanted, they can still do a sequel.

As far as Devil May Cry 5...I was a huge fan of Devil May Cry 4 and felt they could have made a follow up on the back of that one. A Nero spin-off, bring back Virgil, etc. I still hope they do a follow up to DMC 4. And since I'm hooked on DmC now, wouldn't mind a DmC 2 as well :D

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
The only Devil May Cry game that I really didn't like was the second one. I thought Capcom dropped the ball on that one. Especially when you compared it to how great the 1st one was. But, I felt Capcom bounced back pretty well with the 3rd one. I feel that even though DmC didn't get the super huge numbers they initially wanted, they can still do a sequel.

As far as Devil May Cry 5...I was a huge fan of Devil May Cry 4 and felt they could have made a follow up on the back of that one. A Nero spin-off, bring back Virgil, etc. I still hope they do a follow up to DMC 4. And since I'm hooked on DmC now, wouldn't mind a DmC 2 as well :D

But DMC2 was a great stepping stone for DMC3 though...so you got to appreciate it for that.

IncarnatedDemon

Capcom never said they wanted 5m explictely. But they expressed that.

However, what you want and what you estimate is two different things.

Capcom wanted 5M
Estimated they would get 2m DmC sold
Again they re-estimated 1.2m DmC sold
And now they re-estimated 1.15m sold

So they definetly wanted 5M sales, but they failed on that.
If anyone who wants sources for my conclusion, just let me know.

I will do my best to get the sources in 1 go.

But if your replying to me to give me a headache, please dont.

IncarnatedDemon

After posting quotes (not whole interview) of where Motohide Eshiro expressed they wanted 5M sales for DmC, and me almost giving up on finding the source and the whole interview, i finally found it!

Through a site who had linked to the interview i found out the interview was from Eurogamer, and that Play.tm was not the source - they were merely linkers!

Here is the relevant part of interview + the link to all of it.
Eurogamer: What do you mean by 'reboot'?
Motohide Eshiro: Well, taking Devil May Cry 4 as an example, including the PC versions we sold 2.7 million of that particular game, but we looked at the market and saw that there were other action games selling four million, five million, all these copies.
One of our goals for this game is to create something new and fresh that keeps the old fans but also catches new people, so that we can increase our overall appeal, our sales and our audience.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-22-dmc-devil-may-cry-interview

So Capcom wanted 4-5M sales for DmC.
They estimated 2m later on.
Then they estimated again : 1.2m
And now we´re at 1.15m sale forecast.

Angelo Moreira

Vergil_Angelo
I was thinking they were expecting the sales to be low in this DmC,at least thats the idea they gave me from the interviews,because ppl need to get used to the idea of a new dante.so I think they gonna make DmC2.I mean after all this trouble they had with the reboot AND Vergil Downfall ending Im sure this is not the last time we see this Dante.I hope they give Vergil a bigger playable role in the story for the new one, not just a dlc,I mean the dlc was great but I want more Vergil xD

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I was thinking they were expecting the sales to be low in this DmC,at least thats the idea they gave me from the interviews,because ppl need to get used to the idea of a new dante.so I think they gonna make DmC2.I mean after all this trouble they had with the reboot AND Vergil Downfall ending Im sure this is not the last time we see this Dante.I hope they give Vergil a bigger playable role in the story for the new one, not just a dlc,I mean the dlc was great but I want more Vergil xD
With regards to sales, they did start off very high with their expectations, but then had to change it due to the reaction.It's a shame, but that's what's happened.

I agree that what is the point not making another after they spent so much time making this reboot, but right now it is uncertain what Capcom will do.

Besides, NT do have a habit of making games with open endings, but then never make a followup. I hope DmC isn't one of them, but we'll have to wait and see.

IncarnatedDemon

Guys guys guys...

1) NT was going to expand to two team studio. But Enslaved sales killed that for them.
And if it wasnt for Enslaved sales being poor, they would been on their way making Enslaved 2 and not DmC

2) They have announced they are now two team studio

3) They also expressed wanting a Enslaved 2 sequal

4) The reason their games have no "follow up", is not because of a habit but because of again: the sales of their games not meeting their expectations, ESPECIALLY Enslaved.

Infact Tameem said DmC was a "second chance". Dont remember second chance for expanding their studio to two team or saving their company from dying.

So with that in mind:
Enslaved 2 probability = high
DmC 2 probability = low
Heavenly sword 2 probability = high

HS: They´ve learned new skills with gameplay from Capcom
DmC: DmC sold very little and ITS NOT their game.
Enslaved: Again they have talked about a sequal for it.

Then again Enslaved is also a hack and slash too = so that gives it better chance than Heavenly sword.

But they may announce two games. I am betting my money 1 of them is Enslaved 2.

P.S Since DmC is not their game, they would rather make a sequal to their own games.

Top Bottom