• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition for Next Gen

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
http://i.imgur.com/M4IM949.png
M4IM949.png

Holy - sh!t!

Vergil is back, b!tches! Prepare your body... to be cut in half!

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I hope they actually improve on Devil May Cry 4 and fix a lot what was wrong with it. Cut back all that BS that makes the game artificially lengthen itself and actually add new things to the game.

It would be pretty dumb if all DMC 4 Special Edition is is just the same game with the ability to just pick Vergil as well as Dante and Nero. Especially since DmC's Definitive Edition has actually worked a lot of that stuff from the ground up fixing all the main issues I had with that game.

Would be a shame if so much is put in to DmC improvements and they just staple Vergil to that game that really needs fixing.

Rolanthas

I don't think they can fix Dante's backtracking, that kinda requires 9 to 10 brand new levels to replace the old ones. Not to mention story modifications such a move would require. Whole backtracking business is a fundamental choice that's too late to change I'm afraid.

However, what I'd want, would be new movesets for Dante's weapons, a new Melee alternative for Nero ( yeah kinda fairy tale territory here, Vergil's moveset from DMC 3 to be expanded upon instead of being a direct transition to the new game etc. Purely my fantasy though, I honestly don't know how they'll approach this.

In any case, exciting times ahead!

Blazer-X

I suspect Vergil mgiht get a couple of moveset upgrades based on his alternate universe self. A Vergil prologue based on the novel version is about all I really expect to show up for "canon" mission. Otherwise, they'd have to break the canon by quite a bit to include him. Its not a completely farfetched idea to have him "alive" during DMC4, but the main problem is that Yamato belongs to Nero and Dante during the events of the game. Either that or they bring him back in an epilogue to take back Yamato.

I guess we'll see. To be honest, I am cool with having Vergil simply playable as a non-canonical character as long as you're talking moveset changes and his own Bloody Palace.

RebeledgeYamato

If were talking DMC4 Special Edition, I'd rather Vergil not have levels that require him to backtrack. If it turns out to be half a game, I won't be disappointed. I wonder how they'll do it. Bring back Spiral Swords maybe give them a new command. I hope they keep the original judgement cut that had a circular radius and not that barrier type cut they introduced for Dante. Maybe they'll expand Vergil's combo set with Gilgamesh like they did for Dante.

To be honest I'd pick up both games if I had a capture card along with the proper next gen console ala PS4. What I really hope happens is that both games get equal treatment. I hope this isn't some lunacy based attempt at a sequel for Ninja Theory's game since the original didn't even sell 2 million copies.

RebeledgeYamato

They can at least get rid of the stupid dice game that shows up multiple times more annoying than the last.

There were plenty of unlikable things about DMC4, the monotonous dice, the gaseous rooms deteriorating your health, the disappearing glass floors taking too long to load up the more forward paths, the underground enemies that swallow you and send you back to the beginning or other parts of the map, the stupid purple maze portals, and maybe the forest where you have to travel through the shadow arrow. That's about all I can name by heart.

Rolanthas

They can at least get rid of the stupid dice game that shows up multiple times more annoying than the last.
I can't imagine them not retouching the dice game. It was one of the universally hated parts of the game. Maybe it won't repeat, or the board can be much smaller or trivial if outright removal is beyond their means.

I really hope they outright remove it and just put in a kill room for the first part, and a boss rush for the endgame part though.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I don't understand why people hated the dice game. Sure, it wasn't exactly fun, but it wasn't some kind of blight on the game. Even though something better could've been in its place, it's still better than some kind of stupid QTE most modern games have. It's basically a timing challenge, and it gives you free enemies to fight (the red circles).

Also, poisonous environments (or things that otherwise deteriorate your health) have been in many more games than just DMC4. If you're going to complain about it, at least be consistent and also complain about DMC3's Haywire Neo-Generator. It's a challenge; like a race against time, something most gamers apparently don't understand.

With those enemies that swallow you, again, it's something to challenge you. Situational awareness challenge. Just because you don't ''like'' it doesn't mean it's bad. You're not supposed to like it, you're supposed to overcome it.

I'll agree the puzzle where you just have to go in the opposite direction of the shadow was too simplistic, as well as too easy.

Could those things have been better? I guess, but it's nitpicking. They're obviously not going to replace entire sections of the game, you know that. Special editions add new things, they don't replace old things.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't understand why people hated the dice game. Sure, it wasn't exactly fun, but it wasn't some kind of blight on the game. Even though something better could've been in its place, it's still better than some kind of stupid QTE most modern games have. It's basically a timing challenge.

Because it's poor game design choices and it was only there to artificially lengthen the game in the most laziest of ways. Seriously, you're defending a game that was like a meal that was served to you half cooked. If some restaurant didn't cook your entire meal fully , and the only thing edible was one of the sides, does that excuse the rest? No.

I actually like Devil May Cry which is why I call the series out on its bullshit. DMC 4 was some bullshit. After beating it once, I realized I spent all my time in Bloody Palace because I just didn't want to replay it. Which is a shame because every other game in the series I did go through multiple times in their entirety.

GF9000000Returns

Lol, this is a special edition, not a remake. No, that's not gonna happen.

Shoot, I keep getting confused between editions and remakes. My bad. And yeah, maybe it might be impossible for them to add new levels, but THERE'S NO EXCUSE to not add more costumes, because the DMC3:SE one did the same thing. Unlike DmC, this one doesn't have that much to fix besides adding more content in.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Shoot, I keep getting confused between editions and remakes. My bad. And yeah, maybe it might be impossible for them to add new levels, but THERE'S NO EXCUSE to not add more costumes, because the DMC3:SE one did the same thing. Unlike DmC, this one doesn't have that much to fix besides adding more content in.
True, I meant to reply specifically to the part about adding new levels. I don't think it's their policy to change a game they completed in 2008. I sure hope for more costumes! DMC4 really disappointed me in that regard... I mean really, Super Nero and Dante only? Dafuq.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I don't understand why people hated the dice game. Sure, it wasn't exactly fun, but it wasn't some kind of blight on the game. Even though something better could've been in its place

Because it was a lazy and overused element in a game that had a lot of squandered potential. In effect, a whole lot better could have been done, but instead they went ahead and reused something from an earlier level that people didn't really find all that pleasant.

However, who cares? I'm really interested to see what DMC4se has to offer.

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda
Old member of this forum here brought back from the dead just because of this trailer seems like im gonna be allot active again. Capcom are gonna go back to tge old series the proof is that back in 2013 capcom filled a patent for a new devil may cry and it wasnt DmC. This teaser is proof of that why release a special edition now, its because they wanna revive the old series i hope it happens :D

Top Bottom