• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 3 Style Switcher mod

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Finally decided to install this mod and trying it out. It feels a bit weird, it's not like DMC4 in terms of fluidity and general feeling, and you can't see which style you're using on the HUD, you need to remember it.
But even with those flaws, it's still fun and does make DMC3 even more fun to play.
Here's me sc*ewing around with it, trying to figure out the controls:

The mod also comes with graphics improvements like the removal of the fog overlay (Jesus, THANK YOU), and better shadows and lightning.

It's also possible to play around with some cool settings like changing the color of DT's aura, replacing Rebellion with Force Edge, or the possibility of seeing all the equipped melee weapons at the same time.

The latter is especially cool looking when playing as Vergil

dmc3se_2015_02_05_11_54_49_121_zpsb59auvlc.png

or Dante, with Rebellion (or Force Edge) and Cerberus equipped

dmc3se_2015_02_05_11_56_46_751_zpstjf0wrgd.png

If you want the mod, you can find it here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/devilmaycry3/mods/1/?

Khundy

Berserker
The mod is sick! also i found that you can Trickster cancel with the new mode. Here is me way overdoing it.

also better my actual gameplay. Too much fun!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Khundy in the screenshots that are in the Nexus page, you can see your current style at the bottom left of the screen, but I don't have that. Did I do something wrong with the installation or something?

And how to you choose Doppelganger?

P.S: you got Steam, mate?

Khundy

Berserker
@Khundy in the screenshots that are in the Nexus page, you can see your current style at the bottom left of the screen, but I don't have that. Did I do something wrong with the installation or something?

And how to you choose Doppelganger?

P.S: you got Steam, mate?

In the DMC directory where you installed it, you should be able to open the "notepad file" in it are a list of stuff you should be able to toggle on and off. I'll try and take some screen shots of what I'm talking about when I get home.

also yes I got steam, but not for my DMC games.

Doppelganger= is selected on mine by pressing "down twice" then its lock-on and circle"
i'll double check on that too.

scionicspectre

The options to modify the viewport's aspect ratio and field of view are also amazing if you have a non-standard setup (or a modern 1080p monitor, for that matter). Setting the Viewport to 0.75 and FOV to 0.5 makes it rather similar to the HD collection. If you don't bring it down that far, you'll end up seeing way too much vertical space in certain cutscenes, which can ruin the experience when the camera isn't supposed to show certain features in a character's face, for instance.

So far as knowing what style you're in, there is a messaging system option to show it in the bottom-left corner (where you would usually see the location you're in). This mod really helps make the experience more acceptable, and the fact that I can downsample in lieu of anti-aliasing is just icing on the cake. If we didn't need to remove certain music files to prevent performance issues, this could potentially be the best version of the game with some work. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
You can adjust antialiasing too? How?

P.S: yeah, having to delete some music files is soooo annoying... how they managed to sc*ew performance up with sound files, I can't understand...

scionicspectre

I'm guessing that it was someone who lazily converted the format and rewrote the sound engine in such a way to cap speed to sound playblack. Totally insane- you might as well have a desync in audio if it means letting the game run at a reasonable speed. Even still, all of the cutscenes seem to do just fine, which is the only place where it's needed. If only the game were easier to mod, it might be possible to dig in and fix this mistake some day.

You actually can't adjust the antialiasing, even with tools in your driver (at least, not NVIDIA's tools). Usually you can set your own V-Sync and antialiasing for certain titles, but given that this is an older game with a lot of custom rendering (which didn't make a return in the HD Collection, interestingly enough), it doesn't work with those options at all. So, the only way to get antialiasing is to play it in PCSX2 or downsample.

Downsampling is similar to MSAA, except that instead of supersampling just the edges of polygons, it supersamples the entire screen. A lot of people use this to 'fake' higher resolutions on low-res monitors, but it's especially effective for improving IQ (image quality) in any game, especially those with inferior or no antialiasing options. To do it, you just need to create a custom resolution that fits your aspect ratio but is higher than that of your monitor. If you're using a standard 1080p display, you can use 2560x1440, which works pretty well for me. Of course, since the rendering itself isn't too hardcore (it's a PS2 game), you should be able to get away with even higher resolutions. In fact, even with the highest form of antialiasing, supersampling still does wonders to reduce artifacts and improve IQ in new games like DmC.

Many of the default textures are surprisingly detailed, but of course it would be nice to get a real high-resolution texture mod in place some day. There are a couple places where you can tell that they did some work in the HD Collection, not the least of which being the final mission.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yeah, I know supersample, last game I played with it was Shadow of Mordor.

So how do I supersample the PC version? I need to set a custom resolution in the DMC3 ini file that comes with the Style Switcher mod?

scionicspectre

Yes, but you may also need to set the custom resolution in Windows itself if it doesn't automatically supersample. That is why this works for the desktop, as well as any game, as it's a global setting. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076 This should give you a better overview and some specific steps to get the best results, outside of simply typing 2560x1440 in the .ini.

Top Bottom