• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Definitive Edition's Lock-On Might Allow You To Do 'Curved' Stingers

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
well the lock-on would be optional anyway on DE, but i'll use it anyway -should it come to PC- since i believe it'll be implemented nicely, plus it could make some already cool movements cooler ;curved launch..

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Thanks for the clarification @GregaMan :D When I heard it in the podcast, I was curious of whether it worked that way for the lock+back input too. Oh well, to hear that it's also an option to use the lock inputs on the already optional manual lock is just really cool. Options within options!

I'd love to see some of that shown off in a stream if there is one. I'm just always curious of functions and mechanical interfaces :p

Dominus

Heya. Thanks for listening to the podcast!

To clarify, the lock-on allows you to pull off any "forward, forward" move the classic way: Hold lock-on, press forward and attack. This can actually be toggled in a separate setting, so you have options. You can opt to still be able to execute those moves with "forward, forward," or for both methods to work.

Note that weapon "specials," i.e., the launchers set to Circle/B by default, don't have special lock-on inputs available. But the one-button input for those moves was already kind of brilliant, so it's hard to complain, in theory. In ninja theory.

One cool thing about the classic input method for "forward, forward" moves is that it allows you to consistently pull off that weird trick with the Osiris's "Streak" where you do it in the wrong direction but you curve back around to hit the enemy anyway. Anyone know what I'm talking about? You see it sometimes in advanced play videos, but it was really hard to do consistently with the auto-lock. This was a discovery Sam D and I made when he was in the office.
So do you think we'll get any DMC4:SE info in the next month? :\

GregaMan

I'll definitely show the new lock-on stuff on (at least) one of the streams. Also fyi, I think I mentioned this on the podcast, but the manual lock can be set to either a Hold or Toggle input. When set to Toggle with the "classic" Stinger input on, once you've tapped the Lock-On button once to lock onto something, you just have to press up and attack to do the Stinger. Pretty cool. And considering how much shoulder button jive you'll be doing already to switch weapons, I think the Toggle input is definitely the friendlier of the two, but different styles for different players, eh?

Gbraga

You could always do that, it was especially easy after cancelling a Prop with a lvl 0 Ricoshot.

EDIT: Greg, do you know if Trillion Stabs is done like DMC3 or DMC4?

Gbraga

Well, they do already have the animation for that, he walks slowly when you're shooting the guns, doesn't he?

I'm not sure I'd want that, though. I have nothing against that in DMC, but it's not something I feel the games need, it's whatever. Why would you walk anyway? We have triple angel dashes now :p

Judge

I still would like to have some confirmation that lock-on won't make Dante or Vergil walk slowly.

I've been wondering that myself. I really hope not. The great thing about vanillia DmC was how your never limited in your manoverability. Even firing the guns involved walking, but you still had movement capabilites.

The previous games forced Dante to strafe around one enemy when you were locked on. It didn't feel right for an action game to feel so restrictive in how you move and attack. I'm glad they sorted that out for DmC. I really hope it dosen't make a comeback for DmC DE.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
But that's the point of manual lock on. To focus on one enemy. In DMC, of course you strafe around one enemy when you use lock on. If you don't want that, just don't lock on it. For example, I usually don't lock on after I send more than one enemy into the air, and want to hack em all at the same time. Or when I'm surrounded.

Anyway, looks like the DE will offer a variety of options to the player, so I wouldn't worry.

Last edited:

Dominus

But that's the point of manual lock on. To focus on one enemy. In DMC, of course you strafe around one enemy when you use lock on. If you don't want that, just don't lock on it. For example, I usually don't lock on after I send more than one enemy into the air, and want to hack em all at the same time. Or when I'm surrounded.

Anyway, looks like the DE will offer a variety of options to the player, so I wouldn't worry.
Basically, it's never been an issue for me... What's been more of an issue for me is double forward inputs.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
What's been more of an issue for me is double forward inputs.

Yes, it was a problem to me too. Especially with the controller, it felt awkward. Much better with mouse and keyboard tho. Double pressing a keyboard button, while still a bit uncomfortable, was way better than moving a stick twice.

Dominus

No problem double-tapping for me here :p Was actually nice because I could zip in another direction pretty quick.

And @Dominus, you had trouble with that? Isn't that how you dashed in GodHand? I figured you would be a master at that.
True that is how you dash in God Hand, but I don't recall it being vital to mid combat that much. [I didn't like it there either]. Also the stinger in MGR has that input (and the pole arm sub weapon), which I actually did sometimes have a problem with but I don't know if that was because the camera was awful (and constantly flipping around).

Top Bottom