• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Definitive Edition's Lock-On Might Allow You To Do 'Curved' Stingers

ji-high

I have another idea:

Leave out the regular dodge entirely.

Just have the angel dodge only...
Couldn't agree more. I mean the game is about being stylish yet Dante spends half the time rolling in the dirt?Come on son. Even Hayabusa who couldn't care less about style dropped that stuff after Ninja Gaiden Black lol. Rolling needs to go.
There's another function you can squeeze in there... if you just press dodge without a directional input, it can become a guard.

Perfect Guard ---> Guard + Forward = Angel Dodge ---> Perfect Guard + Forward = Demon Dodge [Demon Release when dodging in a direction of an enemy.]

So, in other words, Demon Dodge = Demon Release.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I know most people will think that this is a bad idea, it's just that I think we could always use the extra room for more "style-specific" functions... like Twosome Time for instance.
Hmmmm......interesting.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I sorta hope they made it so you don't have to double-tap to do Angel Dodge, because that's just unnecessary. You're already holding the Angel Mode key to modify the behavior of the dodge anyway, why the extra tap? Why bother with still allowing a normal roll when you've already made the conscious effort to hold a modifier key to get a different action out of the input...?

Unless they did it specifically so you could do the "Nephilim" Dodge...

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
You could always do that.
It was just a lot more finicky to do, and not very practical.
I've seen it done in the current versions, but I have no idea what the input is.

seen it like a million times, and i dont think it can be done in vanilla, pretty sure it was modded.. all that came to mind when i saw it was, that's impossible

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
So, hearing the podcast (finally), it sounds like using the lock-on button not only gives you the lock-on, but also allows you to use the classic directional inputs for things like Stinger and Hightime, which suddenly makes them showing off Streak and Prop Shredder so prominently during the trailer make sense.

@GregaMan, confirm plz?

GregaMan

Heya. Thanks for listening to the podcast!

To clarify, the lock-on allows you to pull off any "forward, forward" move the classic way: Hold lock-on, press forward and attack. This can actually be toggled in a separate setting, so you have options. You can opt to still be able to execute those moves with "forward, forward," or for both methods to work.

Note that weapon "specials," i.e., the launchers set to Circle/B by default, don't have special lock-on inputs available. But the one-button input for those moves was already kind of brilliant, so it's hard to complain, in theory. In ninja theory.

One cool thing about the classic input method for "forward, forward" moves is that it allows you to consistently pull off that weird trick with the Osiris's "Streak" where you do it in the wrong direction but you curve back around to hit the enemy anyway. Anyone know what I'm talking about? You see it sometimes in advanced play videos, but it was really hard to do consistently with the auto-lock. This was a discovery Sam D and I made when he was in the office.

Judge

So, hearing the podcast (finally), it sounds like using the lock-on button not only gives you the lock-on, but also allows you to use the classic directional inputs for things like Stinger and Hightime, which suddenly makes them showing off Streak and Prop Shredder so prominently during the trailer make sense.

@GregaMan, confirm plz?

Not really keen on the sounds of that. I'm planning to stick to the controls they gave us in vanilia edtion. Which I felt were more robust than the controls of previous games.

Judge

I know, right? Did they forget or something? I feel like there's only a few people who know about this.

They haven't forgotten. I heard in the podcast from Capcom Unity, Gregaman said that Sam D was in the office recording about 8 hours of footage for the game. That will defintely get shown at some point.

Its still a while to go, just under three months. I suppose they don't want to show anything too early. They said they will show something once a week. So we will get something every week after the show the first one.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Heya. Thanks for listening to the podcast!

To clarify, the lock-on allows you to pull off any "forward, forward" move the classic way: Hold lock-on, press forward and attack. This can actually be toggled in a separate setting, so you have options. You can opt to still be able to execute those moves with "forward, forward," or for both methods to work.

Note that weapon "specials," i.e., the launchers set to Circle/B by default, don't have special lock-on inputs available. But the one-button input for those moves was already kind of brilliant, so it's hard to complain, in theory. In ninja theory.

One cool thing about the classic input method for "forward, forward" moves is that it allows you to consistently pull off that weird trick with the Osiris's "Streak" where you do it in the wrong direction but you curve back around to hit the enemy anyway. Anyone know what I'm talking about? You see it sometimes in advanced play videos, but it was really hard to do consistently with the auto-lock. This was a discovery Sam D and I made when he was in the office.
Excellent explanation, Gregaman. I could have listened to the podcast for I am using my iPad.

Still, it's great to have a Capcom representative here in DMC.org to clear the air with the fans, especially with such people like you, GregaMan!

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Will DmC's lock-on maintain the "slow walk"...?

That's what I hated about DMC's style of lock-on.
If the "slow walk" is going to be implemented, then I'll probably stick with the "no lock-on" mechanics.
That is a good point there. Yes, it does tick me off you have to walk slowly. Could they allow the same pace of movement even when locking-on? This I will see if it can happen.

Top Bottom