• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Darksiders: Wrath of War

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Darksiders: Wrath of War is a video game being developed by Vigil Games. The game takes its inspiration from the apocalypse and battle of armageddon described in the Book of Revelation, with the player taking the role of "War", one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Story

The player plays as War, one of the four legendary Horsemen of the apocalypse; the apocalypse has just taken place prematurely, and the world destroyed, and War finds himself tasked to find out who was behind this; caught in a battle between angels and demons, he has lost much of his power, and must find out where the other horsemen are, and who misled them into starting the final battle.

Gameplay

Darksiders is primarily a combat action game, with weapons such as giant swords and miniguns available. War also regains his powers throughout the game, and has his own mount, a horse called Ruin.

The powers and horse which War must regain play an important role in the game as they enable him to access areas of the world which would otherwise be closed to him. A wrath meter similar to the musou gauge in the Dynasty Warriors series fills up as War fights and gives access to powered-up and special moves.

Action takes place both underground where puzzles play a large role, and above ground in which free roaming is allowed.

Altough early impressions have led journalists to compare the game to God of War and Devil May Cry due to its strong combination of combo based sword combat and guns, designer Joe Madureira has likened it to The Legend of Zelda series.

Darksiders: Wrath of War E3 Trailer

This game is coming out on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, set to be released sometime this year.

Anyone looking forward to this game as much as I am? I will definatly be picking this game up on release.

I just watched the trailer for Dantes Inferno that Sparda posted and it reminded me of this game a little bit, thought I would post this in case anyone hasn't heard of this yet.

Keaton

Premium
^Looks pretty cool if you ask me, I have yet to see a combat video, but I just REALLY hope it doesn't end up like Too Human (revolutionary my @$$).

If the combat, as quoted, is styled like DMC with some half decent puzzles, then this looks like it will be a pretty awesome game :D

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Keaton;169936 said:
^Looks pretty cool if you ask me, I have yet to see a combat video, but I just REALLY hope it doesn't end up like Too Human (revolutionary my @$$).

If the combat, as quoted, is styled like DMC with some half decent puzzles, then this looks like it will be a pretty awesome game :D
Yeah, I think it will turn out a great game. There are some gameplay clips on YouTube if you are willing to look through a crap load of related videos, I'll try to find the gameplay video again and post it here.

Too Human, man I hated that game. I was looking forward to it for so long...

EDIT: Ok that was easier than I thought.

Darksiders Gameplay Video

There are a few more in the related videos section on YouTube if you wish to see more, there isn't much gameplay videos out there at the moment. Mainly just a few clips.

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Keaton;169948 said:
Oooh, nice finds. Watching them now...

Haha, that's awesome, he mentioned there being an achievement for killing multiple enemies in the air. I love games with cool achievement lists.

Still have to watch part 2 and 3.

EDIT: Finished watching them all, game looks so awesome. It does look like it plays a bit like Devil May Cry combat wise. I am really looking forward to getting this game now.

Keaton

Premium
Things I've Noticed:

+The Cross blade looks pretty awesome
+Individual enemy features (ie. grabbing them, slamming them into the ground) is pretty cool - reminds of of the Buster
+Joe Madureira is an amazing graphic artist and characters designed by him are going to look stunning ^^
+There are already ALOT of mechanics 'copied' from the Zelda series
+Bosses look amazing, huge foes for War looks like it will create the right setting :D

-No Quick Time button bashing, this was fun in Force Unleashed, but sucked in Sonic Unleashed, so this is both a good and bad thing ^^
-No 'style', I wasn't expecting a DMC-Clone, but I like rewards for you're creativity, not just mindless Attack, Kill, Move On

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Keaton;169951 said:
Things I've Noticed:

+The Cross blade looks pretty awesome
+Individual enemy features (ie. grabbing them, slamming them into the ground) is pretty cool - reminds of of the Buster
+Joe Madureira is an amazing graphic artist and characters designed by him are going to look stunning ^^
+There are already ALOT of mechanics 'copied' from the Zelda series
+Bosses look amazing, huge foes for War looks like it will create the right setting :D

-No Quick Time button bashing, this was fun in Force Unleashed, but sucked in Sonic Unleashed, so this is both a good and bad thing ^^
-No 'style', I wasn't expecting a DMC-Clone, but I like rewards for you're creativity, not just mindless Attack, Kill, Move On
I was expecting something like that, some kind of style meter. I really can't wait for this game now, boss fights look awesome, and I wan't to see the other Gear Items too.

I'm glad there is no quicktime events, I didn't expect them in RE5 and I would die the first time while watching what I thought was a cut scene. Plus the boss fatalities look awesome :)

Keaton

Premium
VeNGeD;169953 said:
I was expecting something like that, some kind of style meter. I really can't wait for this game now, boss fights look awesome, and I wan't to see the other Gear Items too.

I'm glad there is no quicktime events, I didn't expect them in RE5 and I would die the first time while watching what I thought was a cut scene. Plus the boss fatalities look awesome :)

I agree, its quite refreshing to have a change from the usual, "oops your dead, now dissolve into a pile of goo/explode" :D

Also, I'm enjoying the almost Devil May Cry meets Legend of Zelda fusion lol

EDIT: Plus, with art like this behind the story...it looks like it will either be pretty damn epic, or fall flat - i'm betting on Epic ^_^

darksiders-9.jpg

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Keaton;169955 said:
I agree, its quite refreshing to have a change from the usual, "oops your dead, now dissolve into a pile of goo/explode" :D

Also, I'm enjoying the almost Devil May Cry meets Legend of Zelda fusion lol

EDIT: Plus, with art like this behind the story...it looks like it will either be pretty damn epic, or fall flat - i'm betting on Epic ^_^

darksiders-9.jpg
That looks so cool, I was thinking, since you play as one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse(War). I am kinda expecting, well more towards hoping, that there could be a chance to play as the other 3 in a new game mabye... Or since more games seem to be taking advantage of this feature, downloadable content. A game add on showing the paths of the other 3 horsemen of the apocalypse, I'm not sure on the story so it might not even be possible but it would be cool if they did something like that.

Keaton

Premium
VeNGeD;169959 said:
That looks so cool, I was thinking, since you play as one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse(War). I am kinda expecting, well more towards hoping, that there could be a chance to play as the other 3 in a new game mabye... Or since more games seem to be taking advantage of this feature, downloadable content. A game add on showing the paths of the other 3 horsemen of the apocalypse, I'm not sure on the story so it might not even be possible but it would be cool if they did something like that.

I agree it would be awesome, especially to see what Death turns out like :D

BUT, as far as the story is concerned, from what I can tell, War has been specifically blamed because the world appears to have been ravaged by War. Whereas the other Horsemen are not mentioned...perhaps they will be the greater antagonists ;)

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Hey Keaton, a release date is set. 29th Jan 2010 for the UK, and 31st December for the US(Source).

I can't wait, you still going to buy it?

Keaton

Premium
Awesome news VeNGed! :D
Yeah, I'm still looking forward to it :D

Although odd how the UK and US release dates are so far apart >.<

Ah well :D

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Keaton;184612 said:
Awesome news VeNGed! :D
Yeah, I'm still looking forward to it :D

Although odd how the UK and US release dates are so far apart >.<

Ah well :D
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

At least it's not as bad as the Silent Hill Homecomings delay for being released in the UK. I think it was out like 4 months in the US before it was released here on Xbox 360.

Either way, I'm still looking forward to this game. I hope they have a cool collecters edition for it. Mabye with a figure of War.

Keaton

Premium
War and Ruin would make an awesome Collectors Ed bonus ^_^

It still looks great, although I'm not sure if I'll get it on day of release or not (primarally due to funds since I'll be at Uni, but also because I like to check out reviews on certan games) :D

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Keaton;184618 said:
War and Ruin would make an awesome Collectors Ed bonus ^_^

It still looks great, although I'm not sure if I'll get it on day of release or not (primarally due to funds since I'll be at Uni, but also because I like to check out reviews on certan games) :D
I'm just going to keep some money away for it and pick it up on release. This is one of the games I will buy regardless if it gets all bad reviews.

You should just save some money and keep it for when it comes out.

Keaton

Premium
^I'm gonna do my best ^_^

Lol, whatwith Arkham Asylum and Dissidia I'm going to be busy lol

EDIT: Also, Dark Void is released around the same time, so I'll have to decide between the two >.<

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Keaton;184624 said:
^I'm gonna do my best ^_^

Lol, whatwith Arkham Asylum and Dissidia I'm going to be busy lol

EDIT: Also, Dark Void is released around the same time, so I'll have to decide between the two >.<
Oh yeah, Dark Void looks awesome. Arkham Asylum, Bayonetta, Darksiders, Dark Void and Wet are some of the games I will definatly be buying on release. I hope the release dates for them are kinda spaced out and not all at the same time. Ooh and the new Wolfenstein game, I think thats out tomorow actually... I need more money.

Keaton

Premium
VeNGeD;184630 said:
Oh yeah, Dark Void looks awesome. Arkham Asylum, Bayonetta, Darksiders, Dark Void and Wet are some of the games I will definatly be buying on release. I hope the release dates for them are kinda spaced out and not all at the same time. Ooh and the new Wolfenstein game, I think thats out tomorow actually... I need more money.

I'm not too sure about the new Wolfy to be honest.
Doesn't seem like their bringing much new to the series ^^

But I still imagine Darksiders wil lbe awesome ^^

Top Bottom