• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante's DT

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Is Dantes DT really his demon form or is it just another level of his power and is called DT because of the familiarity of the term?

I think its a mash of both demon and angel powers. What do you think?

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
i just really feel like the "devil trigger" they are showing us is not exactly his devil trigger, either that or it is leading up to something else. i don't know something about it is just.....fishy. lol

chocolatepanda

I don't its complete like its Dante using his demon powers but he doesn't fully understand how to use it so its not complete.

Railazel

I don't think it has anything to do with demon powers, especially considering that if he has angel powers, those should show up too. Personally, I think its some kind of power- up rather than a second or evolved form. Considering the premise of the game, everything seems to evolve around a second or higher state of being, the world even has a concious of its own, so naturally the same premise would be used for Dante's new form. Here's somethings I would like to point out about this new form and why I wouldn't call it a DT:

First of all, Dante gains similarities to the Original Dante, gaining white hair and a red coat. However, this is different from other DTs not because of its appearance but because the form itself. Notice that the white hair and red coat are more like a covering or cloak of sorts rather than an actual physical change. Personally, I believe we're facing another "Nero- type" form here where something is providing Dante his power rather it being from his genetics. Even moreso, Dante's DT and "Angel Trigger" are displayed in his weapons, so there's really no need for an actual DT.

Second, the way that Dante's new form changes combat is very different, as we have seen. But I would like to state two hypothesi on how these changes affect Dante and the World: 1) It could be merely a mental thing, sort of like a super adrenaline rush, where Dante taps into a certain state of mind. Or 2) Dante could really being the world around him. Assuming that this is some kind of metaphor for contradictions in the human state of mind, then maybe Dante's new form could have him mentally affecting everything around him.

Lastly are the powers themselves. Dante's new form is much less unique than the DT from the original series. Instead of him speeding up, everything else slows down, which I've seen common in other games. What's unique, however, is how the new form is lengthened which seemingly is by doing a crap load of aerial combat.

So, really, it would be more appropriate to call Dante's new form just "Trigger" rather than "Devil Trigger," especially since the reason by the name "Devil Trigger" is to imply that Dante, being half demon, is a conduit for the demonic powers of the weapons he carries (He is the "trigger" for the "devil") which is why in DMC1 we don't actually see his real DT (in fact, you can say that his real DT is actually him triggering Rebellion's power, especially since he didn't carry it at all in DMC1). However, things aren't set in stone yet, so maybe there might be some changes.

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda
well i think that this isnt the devil trigger rather a rage mode of some sort in the beginning of the game we might get to see devil trigger later in the game much like dmc 3

Railazel

well i think that this isnt the devil trigger rather a rage mode of some sort in the beginning of the game we might get to see devil trigger later in the game much like dmc 3

That's what I was thinking, but I feel like we might not see a DT at all, especially if the want to keep the whole "half- angel, half- demon" thing consistent.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
I don't think it has anything to do with demon powers, especially considering that if he has angel powers, those should show up too. Personally, I think its some kind of power- up rather than a second or evolved form. Considering the premise of the game, everything seems to evolve around a second or higher state of being, the world even has a concious of its own, so naturally the same premise would be used for Dante's new form. Here's somethings I would like to point out about this new form and why I wouldn't call it a DT:

First of all, Dante gains similarities to the Original Dante, gaining white hair and a red coat. However, this is different from other DTs not because of its appearance but because the form itself. Notice that the white hair and red coat are more like a covering or cloak of sorts rather than an actual physical change. Personally, I believe we're facing another "Nero- type" form here where something is providing Dante his power rather it being from his genetics. Even moreso, Dante's DT and "Angel Trigger" are displayed in his weapons, so there's really no need for an actual DT.

Second, the way that Dante's new form changes combat is very different, as we have seen. But I would like to state two hypothesi on how these changes affect Dante and the World: 1) It could be merely a mental thing, sort of like a super adrenaline rush, where Dante taps into a certain state of mind. Or 2) Dante could really being the world around him. Assuming that this is some kind of metaphor for contradictions in the human state of mind, then maybe Dante's new form could have him mentally affecting everything around him.

Lastly are the powers themselves. Dante's new form is much less unique than the DT from the original series. Instead of him speeding up, everything else slows down, which I've seen common in other games. What's unique, however, is how the new form is lengthened which seemingly is by doing a crap load of aerial combat.

So, really, it would be more appropriate to call Dante's new form just "Trigger" rather than "Devil Trigger," especially since the reason by the name "Devil Trigger" is to imply that Dante, being half demon, is a conduit for the demonic powers of the weapons he carries (He is the "trigger" for the "devil") which is why in DMC1 we don't actually see his real DT (in fact, you can say that his real DT is actually him triggering Rebellion's power, especially since he didn't carry it at all in DMC1). However, things aren't set in stone yet, so maybe there might be some changes.

I don't see how this is displayed in his weapon. For all we know, instead of it being based on a muramasa (x-men style) type thing where the weapon is more powerful from the "blood", maybe as he gets more and more into it, Dante gets more and more "****ed", giving him a sort of adrenaline rush that amplifies his demonic characteristics as opposed to the traditionally "calm" state of angels. This very well COULD be a Devil Trigger (as much as I would like to see it evolve more). Then again, there are variables. For one, is there an Angel Trigger (doubtful). Two, is there a Devil Trigger that isn't affected by aerial combat. Three, is this prior to Dante's "awakening" (not the game, but the actual metaphorical sense of his inner potential being awakened). Finally, we must know if there are other forms of this and if the trigger changes as weapons change (if it's being channeled by the weapon, that should play a role). The fact that it doesn't look like past DTs is irrelevant because this is a reboot/prequel/alternate universe/retelling/re-imagining of Dante and DMC as a whole.

Railazel

I don't see how this is displayed in his weapon. For all we know, instead of it being based on a muramasa (x-men style) type thing where the weapon is more powerful from the "blood", maybe as he gets more and more into it, Dante gets more and more "****ed", giving him a sort of adrenaline rush that amplifies his demonic characteristics as opposed to the traditionally "calm" state of angels. This very well COULD be a Devil Trigger (as much as I would like to see it evolve more). Then again, there are variables. For one, is there an Angel Trigger (doubtful). Two, is there a Devil Trigger that isn't affected by aerial combat. Three, is this prior to Dante's "awakening" (not the game, but the actual metaphorical sense of his inner potential being awakened). Finally, we must know if there are other forms of this and if the trigger changes as weapons change (if it's being channeled by the weapon, that should play a role). The fact that it doesn't look like past DTs is irrelevant because this is a reboot/prequel/alternate universe/retelling/re-imagining of Dante and DMC as a whole.

His weapons are supposed to reflect his Angel and Demon side, so he has Angel and Demon weapons that are channeled in an "Angel" mode and "Demon" mode, much like in Heavenly Sword. So to have a DT would be more or less redundant unless his Demon powers are supposed to be manifested in the way we are shown and somehow serve some other purpose (the thing about the original DTs is that they sped Dante up and progressively healed him, why this Dante would need a DT is a big question especially since he's a complete set on his own). And, naturally, the question of his Angel powers is a big issue, for how do we know that its not his Angel Trigger? Or something completely different altogether? Furthermore, so far its been independent of any of his weapons since he can use Angelic weapons during that phase as well. And, like I said, it can be something like an adrenaline rush, but I would doubt that it would be that since the fact that the only way to lengthen the time you're in it is through aerial combat, why not include ground combat as well? But like I said, it can change, so there's really no way of telling, but because NT has had good concepts of stories under their belt, I trust that they'll keep consistent with the changes made so far. Personally, I would if they change this new form altogether and give him something a little bit more... "him." Maybe, they should do the Shadow The Hedgehog thing and have his Demon/Angel powers manifest after filling an Angel/Demon bar. Besides, he doesn't seem to be the easily- angered type. In recent trailers, he's been showing signs of being like the Original Dante, just less quick to taunt, and because the story is based around some "psychological" concept, I assume his powers are as well.

Now, it is important to compare old versions of games to new ones, in fact that's almost a necessity. Even if a game was a sequel, people compare the new game to its predecessor. Why? Because by comparing, we can see what directions could be taken for the franchise we love and possibly predict what's going to come up next. Besieds, all franchises have a definition, they're unique. For a developer to change that definiton and yet slap it with the same name is like taking the definition of the word "word" from "a series of letters and sounds combined to have meaning" to "a series of bullcrap and babbles" and then still calling it a word.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I don't think Dante will actually turn into his devil form (DT as we know it from the old DMCs).
I think the Angel Trigger in DmC is going to replace the old Devil Trigger.

You know, demons are supposed to be intermediate between humans and gods. Maybe Ninja Theory's idea is that the DT (white-haired Dante) will be intermediate between the human form and the angel form.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
I think DT with white hair and red jacket is the actual DT. Unless they change it - which they do so many times because they simply fail at understanding a game.

Haven

Devil May Cry's a Rockin Baby!
I think what we see is going to be 'it', I would've loved a demonic appearence as i'm sure everyone would. But I can just see this being the final thing. Its different to the usual DT's, but it looks interesting. People say it looks slow and boring, but maybe its actually better when you play it. I think it looks really stylish and cool, but a little too easy (my main worry about the game). I would love to see an Angel Trigger, his hair goes white and spikes up (super saiyan style!) and his coat turns blue. But thats something for another thread!

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
This Dante having demonic form? I highly doubt it, until and unless NT start doubting their 'great' story telling skills and start tweaking things they can for better.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
then don't state it as if my opinion is wrong and yours is right....if we're here to "speculate", we need theories to support facts, not facts to support theories....my speculation holds just as much water as yours then

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Im propably thinking that Dante DT in this game is only minor cosmethic change, as we all seen in trailers.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
then don't state it as if my opinion is wrong and yours is right....if we're here to "speculate", we need theories to support facts, not facts to support theories....my speculation holds just as much water as yours then

Sorry, I just didn't agree with your statement of ''all this is useless''. The thread was made for useless speculation concerning Dante's DT... heh, that sounds so wrong :p

So yes, the speculation is useless, but this thread isn't entirely useless. If nothing else, it's for the fun of it.

Top Bottom