• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante's character growth in DMC3

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Yes, he has the hallmarks of insanity under the collected exterior.

But to kill a town to 'protect' some already dead people in his mind that he 'cares' about would make him insane AND practically moronic.

I prefer to think Vergil may be insane, but not stupid.

I never said he presumably cares for the humans. like i said; he's just cray cray for power.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I never said you did. You inserted yourself into my reply to someone else.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
No, I meant in my first post.

Vergil doesn't seem like the type to really "care" for humans. I just assumed he only cared for Dante cause he was the last family he had. (assuming Nero's his son or not.)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
The evidence is he no longer gives a flying crap about humans. They might as well be a stunted lower life-form to him, who is a hybrid with greater capacities, else he wouldn't be seeking out a good scrap in Hell. The person I replied to claimed his care for his human family was his motivation - I say it isn't, or that would make him a total bread-basket.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Yeah, but Kamiya wasn't writing DMC3 to do that. He wasn't planning to bring Vergil back after DMC1.
Right. Well, now it means that the information of Vergil falling into evil 20 years ago was purposely retconned for the sake of having him as the main antagonist of DMC3.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Keep in mind, Trish only knew what information Mundus told her. She wouldn't have known Vergil actually escaped the demon slaughter of Eva instead of being capctured then and brainwashed, and one can easily take it also to mean they were seperated due to evil forces 20 years prior to DMC1, which is true; the twins were split after Eva's death when they were 8, so those words still hold true.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
you keep comin' after me and harassing me, dude, I wasn't even responding to your comments with explaining how both Vergil's appearence in DMC3 and trish's statment fo "twenty years" both still apply

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Correction; Nero is more or less confirmed BY THE DIRECTOR'S OWN TIMELINE to not be Vergil's son. DMC3 is ten years prior to DMC4, as stated by Kobayashi, Nero was 19 in DCM4, which was Dante and Vergil's confirmed age for DMC3. Therefore, Vergil would have to have been 9 when he impregnated a woman in order for Nero to be his son. Capcoms also specified Vergil's drive for power and feelings of failure to protect is because of Eva's death.
it's already heavily implied that vergil and dante both age very slowly, so who knows what their actual ages are? Vergil goes and reads about his own birth, and it's stored in an ancient book as a legend that's been passed down, and in DMC4 sanctus talks about sparda's entry to the human world as something that happened thousands of years ago

Plus if vergil isn't nero's father, then who is? Nero is confirmed to be a blood descendant of sparda; he's directly referred to as such multiple times in DMC4, and he even serves as a suitable replacement for dante in a device designed to run off of sparda's power. The alternate explanations would be that either dante had a kid himself and either doesn't know or was playing it cool, or sparda had some other unnamed son who then went on to have nero

The evidence is he no longer gives a flying crap about humans. They might as well be a stunted lower life-form to him, who is a hybrid with greater capacities, else he wouldn't be seeking out a good scrap in Hell. The person I replied to claimed his care for his human family was his motivation - I say it isn't, or that would make him a total bread-basket.
That's why it's just a fan theory and not confirmed, but the idea is that vergil gave caring for humans a try, but it ended in such disaster that he snapped, and now he's willing to kill other humans in an effort to erase what he sees as his own past failure

Valcorn

There's no way Vergil hated human, that's a super misconception.
The stupid pedophile manga isn't canon, neither is the first novel.

Again, he must have lived as everyone else prior to DMC3, thus was raised by humans after Eva's death.
For all we know, Vergil even had human friends, the whole "I hate humans" doesn't make any sense and is like something from cheap anime or something.
Dante grew up throughout orphanages and foster families, we don't know what happened to Vergil, but certainly the same thing.
Someone who spent whole his life between humans and lived as a human... sigh, he didn't even kill Lady

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
it's already heavily implied that vergil and dante both age very slowly, so who knows what their actual ages are? Vergil goes and reads about his own birth, and it's stored in an ancient book as a legend that's been passed down, and in DMC4 sanctus talks about sparda's entry to the human world as something that happened thousands of years ago

Plus if vergil isn't nero's father, then who is? Nero is confirmed to be a blood descendant of sparda; he's directly referred to as such multiple times in DMC4, and he even serves as a suitable replacement for dante in a device designed to run off of sparda's power. The alternate explanations would be that either dante had a kid himself and either doesn't know or was playing it cool, or sparda had some other unnamed son who then went on to have nero

Both Itsuano and Kobayashi stated that Dante was 19 in DMC3, and it's stated outright in DMC1 that the death of Eva was 20 years prior when the twins were 8 years old. So there is to a point they age comparable to humans. Which also means, Dante and Vergil are not Sparda's first twin Cambions, must like many fans theorized. Which means you answered your own question to Nero's bloodline; he's descended from another child of Sparda's, and I suspect Lady was as well...

There's no way Vergil hated human, that's a super misconception.
The stupid pedophile manga isn't canon, neither is the first novel.

Again, he must have lived as everyone else prior to DMC3, thus was raised by humans after Eva's death.
For all we know, Vergil even had human friends, the whole "I hate humans" doesn't make any sense and is like something from cheap anime or something.
Dante grew up throughout orphanages and foster families, we don't know what happened to Vergil, but certainly the same thing.
Someone who spent whole his life between humans and lived as a human... sigh, he didn't even kill Lady

Both the Manga and the first novel ARE canon, even if you try to say they're not. Vergil has made it clear he dislikes humans since the death of his mother, that is CANON. DEAL WITH IT. He spent his life running from Demons raising himself. The reason he didn't kill Lady was because she was so "below him" to even concern himself when his priority was going after the usurper Arkham. He even comments on Arkham killing his own wife to become a devil, then not being able to kill Lady to finish the job, something he considered human weakness.

Also, Dante being in orphanages and foster families is the NT reboot, he had someone who raised him as a child throughout the time he was "Tony" in DMC Classic, which was likely Nell Goldstein. It's referenced by the anime, which is canon, so don't try that one again either.

Valcorn

There's no way the first novel and manga are canon, too many contradictions and plotholes, don't sugar it sweet boy.
The main point of the stories was that Sparda ****ed up with his own kind and fell in love with Eva, some other women in his adventures is nothing but one of your speculations.
But let's say so... Sparda had an affair with another woman before Eva and that kid had kids, and such happened for many generations, until Nero was born. Wouldn't that mean his "demonic" blood is very thin and he is mostly human? Unless both his parents were half/quarter-demons.
But by this "fanfic" theory of yours, there should be many human-demon Sparda-descended breeds running around the globe of DMC's world.
And now Lady is also his descendant????!!!! Dude, and I thought for a sec that my opinion of Vergil-Nero relation was ridiculous.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Wow, you really like to ignore what teh games tell us don't you. Fine, whatever. I'm done trying to show you whats there and you constantly ignore it. I'll will repeat again once more.

Sparda gave up things precious to him to seal Temen-ni-gru; his blood, his power, and a mortal priestess who he likely had great feelings for. That leaves a possibility that he had infact fallen for this woman woman and SHE was the reason he turned on the demon world, meaning that since Lady carries that priestess' blood...she possibly is a distcant descendent of Sparda. As for Nero...yeah. Sparda likely had children he fathered throughout the ages, not just millenia ago and in the modern age.

Valcorn

Cool man, you have solved the mystery already, no need for further speculations... now, pick up a phone and give a call to Capcom that you did figure out the story so they can continue, will ya? ;)

D-Sparda

Wow, you really like to ignore what teh games tell us don't you. Fine, whatever. I'm done trying to show you whats there and you constantly ignore it. I'll will repeat again once more.

Sparda gave up things precious to him to seal Temen-ni-gru; his blood, his power, and a mortal priestess who he likely had great feelings for. That leaves a possibility that he had infact fallen for this woman woman and SHE was the reason he turned on the demon world, meaning that since Lady carries that priestess' blood...she possibly is a distcant descendent of Sparda. As for Nero...yeah. Sparda likely had children he fathered throughout the ages, not just millenia ago and in the modern age.
DMC3 never mentioned that he rebelled for the priestess. Also, rebelling against your own kind for the sake of a woman only does not make sense. In DMC1 manual, it is said that Sparda pitied humans for their brief transient lives. So by that logic, on the long run the priestess was not worth it to defy his brethren.

If the manual does not count as canon material, then the only reason given for his rebellion was in DMC1 intro, which differ from your assumption.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
All the intro to DMC1 says is that he woke to justice...we're never told WHY, and even the manuels give no informtion, Hence...no, that does not run counter to my theory. I said it's a possibility he turned on the demons because he fell for the priestess, not that it was canon. It's a theory concluded from all the info given in DMC3, but it does fit in with his affection for humans.

D-Sparda

All the intro to DMC1 says is that he woke to justice...we're never told WHY, and even the manuels give no informtion, Hence...no, that does not run counter to my theory. I said it's a possibility he turned on the demons because he fell for the priestess, not that it was canon. It's a theory concluded from all the info given in DMC3, but it does fit in with his affection for humans.

All the informations given about the priestess are:

1. She is the ancestor of Lady.
2. She was used by Sparda as a sacrifice to seal Temen-ni-gru.

She had a child or children before dying, but it does not mean that Sparda was the progenitor. It could of been a random man that impregated her.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Or it could have been Sparda. hence, I acknowledge it as a THEORY, but one that has supporting evidence. Lady's pretty up and able for a supposed full human, and she seems to recover from having her thigh impaled on a five inch wide, probably foot long or more BAYONETT pretty quickly for a human and was running around like nothing happened.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Or it could have been Sparda. hence, I acknowledge it as a THEORY, but one that has supporting evidence. Lady's pretty up and able for a supposed full human, and she seems to recover from having her thigh impaled on a five inch wide, probably foot long or more BAYONETT pretty quickly for a human and was running around like nothing happened.
She was the descendant of the Priestess Sparda had to sacrifce to seal the Temi ni gru

Top Bottom