• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante and Vergil to apper in Project X Zone 2

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Meh, I was expecting more characters from Devil May Cry, and I'm clueless as to why Namco Bandai chose Natsu of all characters to represent the Soul Calibur series...
...but that said, all I saw once he appeared in the trailer was.....
KAZUMA.
KAZUMA.
KAZUUUUUMMMAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
yakuzas-main-man-to-appear-in-binary-domain.jpg

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Never really liked the first but hey, Vergil's in it so...
alright, you know what, I actually don't care for Vergil's appearance. I feel like all I ever seen now is Vergil this, Vergil that. I know it's because of the SE, but it's honestly getting annoying to see him everywhere. It's like the Pirates of the Caribbean where too much Jack sort of made his character bitter sweet.

WolfOD64

It's like the Pirates of the Caribbean where too much Jack sort of made his character bitter sweet.
Jack Sparrow became a grating character because the writers completely trashed his character in the transition between 1 & 2. In the first film, Jack was a wily character---he'd much rather run or smooth-talk his way out of situations, but he was never a coward, and had plenty of honorable traits and personal flair to throw around. From the second film and onward, the film series dumped all of his best character qualities out the window, and focused on his comedic traits as his sole selling point. Now, Jack Sparrow's just a ham-fisted comedy relief, because the writers chose to employ a comically-large magnifying lens on just one of his iconic characteristics.

Believe me, he isn't the only character to have undergone such a process, and ended up sucking as a result.

DragonMaster2010

Jack Sparrow became a grating character because the writers completely trashed his character in the transition between 1 & 2. In the first film, Jack was a wily character---he'd much rather run or smooth-talk his way out of situations, but he was never a coward, and had plenty of honorable traits and personal flair to throw around. From the second film and onward, the film series dumped all of his best character qualities out the window, and focused on his comedic traits as his sole selling point. Now, Jack Sparrow's just a ham-fisted comedy relief, because the writers chose to employ a comically-large magnifying lens on just one of his iconic characteristics.

Believe me, he isn't the only character to have undergone such a process, and ended up sucking as a result.

Well I as referring more to the forth film really hamming his character but those are actually good examples too.

But back to Vergil, I really feel sick of seeing him everywhere. Call me pretentious or unreasonable, but I don't know, he wasn't even in the lime light a lot until DMC4: SE. So it makes me wonder whether or not capcom's planning to do more with Vergil and the DMC series in the future.

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
Well I as referring more to the forth film really hamming his character but those are actually good examples too.

But back to Vergil, I really feel sick of seeing him everywhere. Call me pretentious or unreasonable, but I don't know, he wasn't even in the lime light a lot until DMC4: SE. So it makes me wonder whether or not capcom's planning to do more with Vergil and the DMC series in the future.
Dude if anything I would be happy that they are still using Vergil and Dante in games like these, just goes to show that those characters aren't dead and still beloved by fans and their popularity, given the fact the DmC was suppose to "rectify" that and making everyone love it instead...but just goes to show...

WolfOD64

I only liked Vergil initially because only existed as a literal opposite to Dante---who, at this point in the series, had devolved into the most agonizingly-obnoxious character in fiction---so at the very least, he was bearable.

But the way that the DMC fanbase lauds Vergil as some kind of deep, unfathomable monolith of badassery and character development just makes me laugh. He was never one of the greatest or coolest characters in the series, let alone in gaming---especially when you consider how much of a low-rent anime stereotype he is (maybe even more unoriginal than Dante, surprisingly, in a lot of ways). I've heard people say that Vergil, as a character, impacted them in so many ways that it literally changed their lives...which is hilarious given how much screen-time he's had.

And honestly (as much as you're probably going to hate me for this), but I really wish that Capcom would promote Nero and Dante in all these spin-offs and DLC opportunities, not Vergil and Dante. Nero's just a more interesting character...and God knows he gets far more development.

DragonMaster2010

Dude if anything I would be happy that they are still using Vergil and Dante in games like these, just goes to show that those characters aren't dead and still beloved by fans and their popularity, given the fact the DmC was suppose to "rectify" that and making everyone love it instead...but just goes to show...
I could care less how people feel about DmC anymore. If it's been 6 years and people still can't let it go, then that's there beef not mine.

The reason I'm getting a little bored with seeing Vergil everywhere is because people hyped him too much that now he's just a sales item. Which isn't too thrilling since Vergil himself isn't anything to sneeze about. He's literally just Dante's opposite and nothing more. Dante wants to save everything for humanity and kill demons. Vergil wants to destroy everything for power and kill demons.

But this is just my opinion on all this Vergil fan-fair.

I've heard people say that Vergil, as a character, impacted them in so many ways that it literally changed their lives...which is hilarious given how much screen-time he's had.

I always wondered how Vergil impacted people's lives? He risked millions of lives for a selfish desire for power that he himself didn't have much plans to use it for. Like what has Vergil done to inspire people besides not using guns and always stab people mercilessly and hide his actions behind his so-called "honor."

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Saying that Vergil is not badass is like saying that the Moon is pink. The coolness of the sh!t he does in DMC3 (most of them coreographed by Shimomura, but some other, like the fight in his prologue, by Dan himself) imo is unmatched in all of the franchise, not even by Dante himself. Maybe only the fight between Nero and Dante at the beginning of DMC4 is as awesome.

But Nero... am I the only one with the feeling he is like, the most forgotten Capcom character ever?
Some time ago I watched Yo Videogames's playthrough of DMC4, and they were saying exactly this. Or for example, that he could have been perfect for a fighting game like MVC3, but nope. Poor guy.

DragonMaster2010

Saying that Vergil is not badass is like saying that the Moon is pink. The coolness of the sh!t he does in DMC3 (most of them coreographed by Shimomura, but some other, like the fight in his prologue, by Dan himself) imo is unmatched in all of the franchise, not even by Dante himself. Maybe only the fight between Nero and Dante at the beginning of DMC4 is as awesome.
A car with pretty lights and butterfly doors means nothing if it can't drive well.

Vergil doing cool stuff is great and all, but that doesn't do much for someone like me who values a good character in a story. DMC, despite its focus on gameplay and stylish action, still has a story it follows and if the characters in said story aren't that good, then yeah, I won't be swayed that easily. Now, DMC's story is in no means bad. It's sort of jumbled up but still a damn good story. But Vergil's motives will always seem so trivial to me.

Viper

Premium
If people like Vergil, then they found something about him to like. It ain't their fault if certain other people didn't.
And considering each time he comes back he is highly popular, then by Sparda's monocle how can we blame Capcom for wanting to fatten up their very thin bank account using him? Besides, in first Project X Zone it was Lady, if there is a third one maybe it will be Nero.

DragonMaster2010

If people like Vergil, then they found something about him to like. It ain't their fault if certain other people didn't.
And considering each time he comes back he is highly popular, then by Sparda's monocle how can we blame Capcom for wanting to fatten up their very thin bank account using him? Besides, in first Project X Zone it was Lady, if there is a third one maybe it will be Nero.

I know WHY Vergil is being used, but...jeez.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
A car with pretty lights and butterfly doors means nothing if it can't drive well.

Vergil doing cool stuff is great and all, but that doesn't do much for someone like me who values a good character in a story. DMC, despite its focus on gameplay and stylish action, still has a story it follows and if the characters in said story aren't that good, then yeah, I won't be swayed that easily. Now, DMC's story is in no means bad. It's sort of jumbled up but still a damn good story. But Vergil's motives will always seem so trivial to me.

But even if you can drive well you can't go far with a ****ty car. I was responding to WolfOD when he said that Vergil ain't badass.

Plus, to me, in an action game, being badass and doing cool stuff like what Vergil does in DMC3 is very important in order to respect him as a boss.

For example (now I'm sure people will bash me) I didn't have the slightest respect for Vergil as a boss in DmC, cause throughout the whole game he didn't do anything impressive, and during the fight with Mundus he was pretty much a damsel in distress, with Dante having the task of saving him.

Or Sanctus in DMC4. He's always been just an ugly old man at my eyes, I didn't feel threatened by him at all in the game.

Yes, his motives are left to imagination and unexplained, that's a fault. But don't come telling me he's not badass because of this, it has nothing to do with it.
Plus, he has more than one character traits, but some people overlook them cause they only see the fact that he's the opposite of Dante and that's it.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

But even if you can drive well you can't go far with a ****ty car. I was responding to WolfOD when he said that Vergil ain't badass.

Plus, to me, in an action game, being badass and doing cool stuff like what Vergil does in DMC3 is very important in order to respect him as a boss.

For example (now I'm sure people will bash me) I didn't have the slightest respect for Vergil as a boss in DmC, cause throughout the whole game he didn't do anything impressive, and during the fight with Mundus he was pretty much a damsel in distress, with Dante having the task of saving him.

Or Sanctus in DMC4. He's always been just an ugly old man at my eyes, I didn't feel threatened by him at all in the game.

Yes, his motives are left to imagination and unexplained, that's a fault. But don't come telling me he's not badass because of this, it has nothing to do with it.

I'm not telling you anything. I said "in my opinion".

And I do agree with you in terms of Vergil's actions in DmC. He barely did anything action worthy, and when the final battle came, he was still nothing to note about. He only shined after the main story in the DLC.

But like I said earlier, Vergil, to me, isn't that interesting as a character, and for me that goes a long way. He was just a power hungry sterotyped ikemen who was a bit of a sociopath. Like Hibari Kyoya from Katekyo hitman reborn who was pretty much a thug in a school uniform and shrouding his blood thirst in the bullshit of "for the glory of my school." And now that you mention actions, Vergil's style of fighting wasn't all that impressive compared to the feats Dante did through out the whole game from using motorcycles as weapons to riding missiles like surfboards.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I'm not telling you anything. I said "in my opinion".

And I do agree with you in terms of Vergil's actions in DmC. He barely did anything action worthy, and when the final battle came, he was still nothing to note about. He only shined after the main story in the DLC.

But like I said earlier, Vergil, to me, isn't that interesting as a character, and for me that goes a long way. He was just a power hungry sterotyped ikemen who was a bit of a sociopath. Like Hibari Kyoya from Katekyo hitman reborn who was pretty much a thug in a school uniform and shrouding his blood thirst in the bullshit of "for the glory of my school." And now that you mention actions, Vergil's style of fighting wasn't all that impressive compared to the feats Dante did through out the whole game from using motorcycles as weapons to riding missiles like surfboards.

I know it's your opinion, I wasn't bashing it.

An I don't agree that Vergil doesn't do anything impressive compared to Dante. Like, at all.

Dante and Vergil have two different ways of fighting in a cool way.
Dante does ultra over the top stuff that while awesome to watch , don't make him "threatening". Even though you can tell that he's a beast and you don't f*ck with him.
Vergil is all about exterminating foes in a blink of an eye, with them not even realizing they've been hit to death until they split in two. Involving quick unsheathing movements and direct hits, as well as more real martial arts looking moves compared to Dante (certainly someone like Dan Southworth playing him helps a lot in that department).

Both are cool as hell and impressive to watch (and play), but in a different way.

If for you is more impressive using a motorbike as a nunchaku or stopping bullets simply rotating a sword and use it to send them back at your opponent, that's your taste, but there are a lot of people who prefer Vergil's fighting style cause of its badassness.

But God, we're going back to that huge argument about Vergil in the DmC DE thread... for the love of Sparda, can we avoid it? This topic has been revived so many times in this forum, aren't we bored repeating the same points over and over yet?

So let's get back on topic, shall we?
I don't know this franchise, but it's understandable that they're including Dante and Vergil.
Dante is one of the most popular Capcom characters, and looks like they only now has realized that Vergil's got a solid fan base as well. Or maybe they already knew (they included him in UMVC3 after all), but perhaps his fandom is bigger than they thought.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

*Looks up at unfurling argument and sweats*
A-Ahem...BACK TO TOPIC (quickly)....

Anyone else think it's crazy that Ryo Hazuki hasn't turned up in either of these games? He's a pretty beloved SEGA character. A bit obscure, sure, but not NEARLY as obscure as some of the other SEGA characters that have been randomly selected.

And as for Namco Bandai Characters...I really just want Mitsurugi to be in the games. He's part of the Soul Calibur series' core identity...why was he omitted in favor of NATSU of all people?

Top Bottom