• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom Says No To Exclusive Platform Development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Well, I discovered this little interesting snippet from another forum, and considering it's Capcom, I thought it'd be relevant here.

----

The days of platform-exclusive development at Capcom are over, as the developer announced today that all future projects will be multi-platform deals for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 - and even the PC.

"All major titles launched during the next fiscal year or thereafter will be developed as multi-platform games," the company said in its year-end shareholder report for fiscal 2008. It will accomplish this goal through the use of "MT Framework," an in-house platform that allows Capcom to develop games for multiple consoles simultaneously. As a result, the company will be able to reach the maximum number of users while at the same time avoiding the worst pitfalls of the console wars. "This groundbreaking tool makes it possible to share technologies, information and know-how, and reduce development time and cost," Capcom said in its report. MT Framework was used to produce Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 5 as well as other titles still in progress.

Along with abandoning exclusive development, Capcom has also indicated that development for the PC is a big part of its future plans. The 3-D version of Bionic Commando, a "cinematic third-person shooter," is coming for the PC as well as the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, as is an online Street Fighter game, and the company cites "Increasing Capcom fan-base with mobile games and PC games" as one of the four points of its "Strategy To Growth."

Capcom's decision to maximize its console development potential makes particular sense in light of the importance of the home gaming market to the company, which reported that over 62 percent of its net sales came from videogame development, totaling $482 million in net sales. Noting the emergence of "women and middle-aged people" as gamers as well as the rapid growth of the European market, the report said, "We own a wealth of strong properties including scores of million-selling titles and popular characters. We have the ability, the resources and the experience to develop content that meets diversified customer needs."

----

Let's discuss, shall we?

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Well, financially and demographically they are making a smart move. Whether the console fanboys agree to it is another (completely pointless) thing...

Dark Drakan

Admin
Makes sense to be honest, they are a business trying to make money. They can make more money and generate more sales by being on more platforms.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Personally, I always thought that exclusive platform development was rediculous anyway, the company cuts you a fat lump of cash, but you'd get more money from the hordes of customers if a company started developing across all platforms.

I was pleased when DMC 4 hit the 360, and I always thought that they were making the right finacial move, because by branching out, they've effectively opened up an already massive fanbase to another massive group of people, just further increasing their profits, plus, their motivation to make sequels.

In short, go Capcom!

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
Despite being a PS3 fanboy, I LOVE IT! Capcom are freaking awesome! Multiplatform is future..........hear that Team Ninja?

Sparda™

I also think that If certain X360 games, the major hits of It, would be launched also in the PS3, there I could definitely see a console war, worth watching.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
I wasn't sure what sort of response this would get, but so far it's all been good, the opinions are interesting to say the least.

Mm, I agree Dante, although I myself own a 360, I believe that a few of our exclusives should go multi-console too, Fable 2, for example would have been a good choice, although it's one of those iconic Xbox exclusives, we got Final Fantasy 13 too, so that'd be a fair trade in my eyes.

I myself never really understood the console wars, it all seems so pointless to me, arguing over who's console is the best, I've never even understood companys who make games exclusive for one platform, finacially speaking, they're better off releasing a game for all avaliable platforms, rather than keeping it purely for one, I myself wouldn't be bothered if all of the Xbox 360 "greats" were ported to the PS3, things like Halo, Gears of War, Fable, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden, none of that would bother me all that much, but then watch the fanboys scream.

Oh and, nice to have you back Esura.

Esura

*gives the signature Ocelot hand gesture to Creedo*
Thank you! Glad to be back!

But on topic.......
Multiplatforming is great though, and this is coming from a PS3 fanboy! Honestly, its a win for both developers, console makers, and us gamers!

Dark Drakan

Admin
Angelo Credo;123638 said:
I've never even understood companys who make games exclusive for one platform, finacially speaking, they're better off releasing a game for all avaliable platforms, rather than keeping it purely for one.

Only developers owned by a particular company should do this, 3rd party developers can only lose money by doing it.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
^ Come to think of it, that's got to be part of the reason why as well, there's a massive market for gamers out there who just won't, or can't buy another console, expand to that market and you've got the ability to rack up a huge number of sales.

Esura

Trish67;123691 said:
I can't afford a ps3 or a 360. i still have a ps2

LOL, dont feel bad. I would of still had a PS2 if it wasnt for me recieving a PS3 for Christmas. I'm broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom