• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Capcom Has A Big Surprise At E3

Do you think it could be Devil May Cry related?

• Yes

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Nope

Votes: 23 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
You talking about Other M? Oh, I don't think that travesty is gonna happen again. Handing Metroid over to the jiggle physic guys doesn't even seem like a sober decision and I will never understand why they went to Team Ninja.

" Hey you know who should make the next Metroid and change Samus up, the guys who made Extreme Beach Volleyball and the DOA series. They understand women." I really think they were drunk.

It's not Team Ninja that ****ed the game up, it was the from-Nintendo director. Even when he acknowledged flaws from his own game design (like the fact that the control scheme was horrible) he didn't change them, because he felt he put too much work into them to change them. And he also declared Metroid Prime to be non-canon after fans got upset about Other M, just to **** off the Retro Studios fans I guess. Also, the Team Ninja guys were pretty much at the director's mercy. Everything he said went, no matter what. They had no say, and they got misblamed for everything that happened to Other M. I'd be surprised if they ever wanted to work with Nintendo again after that.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
You talking about Other M? Oh, I don't think that travesty is gonna happen again. Handing Metroid over to the jiggle physic guys doesn't even seem like a sober decision and I will never understand why they went to Team Ninja.

" Hey you know who should make the next Metroid and change Samus up, the guys who made Extreme Beach Volleyball and the DOA series. They understand women." I really think they were drunk.

Team Ninja weren't involved with the story at all. They only and I repeat ONLY worked on the gameplay. Everything else in Other M (story, characters, plot, development, etc) were handled by Nintendo.

Plus a Team Ninja version of Samus would've been better than that boring, constantly monologuing, mommy who somehow forgot she is badass, fearless bounty hunter who saved the universe and is now taking orders from a guy who is literally beneath her and for some reason still gets panic attacks from seeing Ridley (a dude she fought, defeated, and killed many times already). The mommy aspects was fine but everything else was..........blah.

If the gameplay was bad blame Team Ninja but every other f*ck up else was Nintendo's own mistake NOT Team Ninja's.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Team Ninja weren't involved with the story at all. They only and I repeat ONLY worked on the gameplay. Everything else in Other M (story, characters, plot, development, etc) were handled by Nintendo.

Plus a Team Ninja version of Samus would've been better than that boring, constantly monologuing, mommy who somehow forgot she is badass, fearless bounty hunter who saved the universe and is now taking orders from a guy who is literally beneath her and for some reason still gets panic attacks from seeing Ridley (a dude she fought, defeated, and killed many times already). The mommy aspects was fine but everything else was..........blah.

If the gameplay was bad blame Team Ninja but every other f*ck up else was Nintendo's own mistake NOT Team Ninja's.
Even if Team Ninja didn't pen the story I don't think I'd want them to anyway. I'd give Team Ninja 5 minutes before they strip Samus of her suit and have her bounty hunting in a slutty bikini. These are the people who's idea of a DLC costume pack for DOA is skimpy lingerie. I'm personally hoping for another Metroid Prime.

Dante47

Even if Team Ninja didn't pen the story I don't think I'd want them to anyway. I'd give Team Ninja 5 minutes before they strip Samus of her suit and have her bounty hunting in a slutty bikini. These are the people who's idea of a DLC costume pack for DOA is skimpy lingerie. I'm personally hoping for another Metroid Prime.

Too late. :troll:
metroid_nes_ending_5.jpg

On a more serious note, the ultimate downfall of Metroid: Other M was it's storytelling. Yes, the terrible gameplay, voice acting, over sexualization of Samus Aran, and other things certainly contributed, the insipid plot killed the whole thing.
So, in a way, I agree. I don't want Team Ninja to touch Metroid. But, they certainly didn't produce the, in my opinion, worst part of the game. Not by far.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Too late. :troll:
metroid_nes_ending_5.jpg

On a more serious note, the ultimate downfall of Metroid: Other M was it's storytelling. Yes, the terrible gameplay, voice acting, over sexualization of Samus Aran, and other things certainly contributed, the insipid plot killed the whole thing.
So, in a way, I agree. I don't want Team Ninja to touch Metroid. But, they certainly didn't produce the, in my opinion, worst part of the game. Not by far.
Really it was turning Samus in to some submissive women who needs the ok from some dude with everything she does. Just because Samus was a silent protagonist that doesn't mean she didn't have character. What do you know about Samus already? She's chosen a very dangerous profession such as bounty hunting. She can topple large bases alone. She's also got a little sensitive side considering her interaction with a baby metroid. She wasn't the type of character that had nothing to her to do anything you want with her.

Disappoints me because I am a Metroid fan and I really like Samus.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
While it wasn't the best game in the Metroid serie, Metroid Fusion certainly portrayed Samus the best. Samus had respect for Adam there, not obsessiv admiration and daddy issues.

Dante47

Really it was turning Samus in to some submissive women who needs the ok from some dude with everything she does. Just because Samus was a silent protagonist that doesn't mean she didn't have character. What do you know about Samus already? She's chosen a very dangerous profession such as bounty hunting. She can topple large bases alone. She's also got a little sensitive side considering her interaction with a baby metroid. She wasn't the type of character that had nothing to her to do anything you want with her.

Disappoints me because I am a Metroid fan and I really like Samus.

Exactly. All of that ties back in to the faulty narrative of trying to make Samus more sensitive, even though her integrity and willingness to do things that no one else would do is why we all rooted for her.
This video right here justifies my feelings perfectly.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I remember playing other M and being shocked and ****ed when Samus had a "break down" when she saw Ridley.

Despite the fact that she had fought and beaten him many times in the past.

THAT was the point when I realized the story was utter crap.

I was able to look past the whole "daddy issue" she had with Adam and the inserted game device that only allowed her to use her full power when he said so.

I'm not into the whole feminist perspeective, but I can understand how that could **** of some female gamers by having a female character as popular as Samus be reduced to only using her powers when a man told her to *sigh*.

The gameplay itself was not all that bad, but certainly could have benefited more in my opinion if they put more Super Metroid flare to the game such as having it remain only in the 2.D plane of gameplay but still rendered in 3.D or you can use the term "2.5D". And also put more emphasis on exploration and platforming like Super Metroid.

But I could have forgiven the gameplay faults, but not that story and lame plot devices, THAT was the fault of Yoshio Sakamoto the director of Other M.

Dante47

I really wished we had gotten another Prime instead of Other M.
The sad part is, I was eagerly anticipating Other M. I thought it would be more of a throwback to the older titles, which would be a fresh take on the series after three entries in the Prime series.
I also thought it would be a good idea to flesh out Samus as a character, and show a side of her we hadn't seen yet.
I've never been so positively wrong in my life.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
I really wished we had gotten another Prime instead of Other M.
The sad part is, I was eagerly anticipating Other M. I thought it would be more of a throwback to the older titles, which would be a fresh take on the series after three entries in the Prime series.
I also thought it would be a good idea to flesh out Samus as a character, and show a side of her we hadn't seen yet.
I've never been so positively wrong in my life.
I bought Other M at launch.

I never had such strong buyers remorse until I played it.

NX1n2CN.gif

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I can't say that I agree with MovieBobs opinion.
I don't think anyone agrees with him. If Other M had been an... action game combined with third-person-shooting elements, I would have forgiven the personality change.

As it stands however, I'll just say that the gameplay is flawed and Samus should have remained stoic. Sure, it might have been kind of boring, but it's most likely better to play it safe... at least, it is when dealing with situations like these.

Edit: I may have beaten Metroid NES and Super Metroid, but I only did it because it was on a "to-do" list. I'm not really that big of a Metroid fan to begin with. I actually prefer Symphony of the Night.

Uh-oh. :O

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
'Che.

Guts can beat Samus.

...Who cares? We're talking about Other M and then we randomly go to a comparison between completely different characters from completely different mediums and universes?

I think this thread has run its course, gone off course, rolled off a cliff, hit a cow and exploded at this point...

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
...Who cares? We're talking about Other M and then we randomly go to a comparison between completely different characters from completely different mediums and universes?

I think this thread has run its course, gone off course, rolled off a cliff, hit a cow and exploded at this point...

Yeah, well, when Samus can beat all of her enemies while scarred, beaten and bleeding out, then we'll talk.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Yeah, well, when Samus can beat all of her enemies while scarred, beaten and bleeding out, then we'll talk.

I haven't even watched/read Berserk, why should I care about Guts or his resilience? From what I've heard, he's kind of a dick.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I'm a big fan of Berserk as well, although I wish the manga's pace would pick up by 10x.

But yea I agree with Darigion on the notion that guts being brought into this conversation was pretty random and had nothing to do with what was being discussed concerning other M.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
I'm a big fan of Berserk as well, although I wish the manga's pace would pick up by 10x.

But yea I agree with Darigion on the notion that guts being brought into this conversation was pretty random and had nothing to do with what was being discussed concerning other M.

Look, I say what I want when I can, since I can't when I go to boot camp in 2 months.

Top Bottom