• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

BERSERK ANIME GREENLIT for 2016!!!!!!!

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
NEW TRAILER AND VISUAL FOR ANIME
nBGxDqb.jpg

Looks like anime just stopped being terrible and started being God-tier again. Between this, the new Drifters series in the fall, and the upcoming Vampire Hunter D series, I've haven't been this excited about new anime coming out in eleven years.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
NEW TRAILER AND VISUAL FOR ANIME
nBGxDqb.jpg

Looks like anime just stopped being terrible and started being God-tier again. Between this, the new Drifters series in the fall, and the upcoming Vampire Hunter D series, I've haven't been this excited about new anime coming out in eleven years.
Omg, that looks absolutely epic.
And Vampire Hunter D's getting a series too? Awesome, I loved those movies.

WolfOD64

Omg, that looks absolutely epic.
And Vampire Hunter D's getting a series too? Awesome, I loved those movies.
It's getting a CG series called Vampire Hunter D: Resurrection, in the style of Tekken: Blood Vengeance or Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, with the original author of the Hunter D novels penning the script, the director of Bloodlust supervising the episodes, and the dub director of Hellsing Ultimate directing the English voice work and script adaptation.

Couple that Justice League of anime/manga contributors with the fact that the episodes themselves are going to be hour-long OVA dramas, instead of 30 min. episodes.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
It's getting a CG series called Vampire Hunter D: Resurrection, in the style of Tekken: Blood Vengeance or Final Fantasy VII Advent Children, with the original author of the Hunter D novels penning the script, the director of Bloodlust supervising the episodes, and the dub director of Hellsing Ultimate directing the English voice work and script adaptation.

Couple that Justice League of anime/manga contributors with the fact that the episodes themselves are going to be hour-long OVA dramas, instead of 30 min. episodes.
afa.gif

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Somewhat disappointed with the first episode. Nothing the series can't recover from, but it was a bit of a cluster of scenes from the golden age arc with no backstory. Kind of just wound up being a jumbled mess.

WolfOD64

Somewhat disappointed with the first episode. Nothing the series can't recover from, but it was a bit of a cluster of scenes from the golden age arc with no backstory. Kind of just wound up being a jumbled mess.
It reminded me a lot of the first episode of the original '97 series, which was just one, big, poorly-edited, rushed pilot to demonstrate the tone of the show and jump straight into the part of the series the studio wanted to adapt. This new studio really, really wants to jump into the Conviction arc right away--to the point where they completely botched this episode's pacing, ignored anything resembling a flashback or recap, and introduced characters early.

With Miura himself supervising, I'm guessing he wants to jump in and hurry with adapting the Conviction Arc as well, since we've seen the Golden Age Arc adapted twice. He's acting as executive producer, exactly like he did for the first TV Series...so it's really him deciding what's cut, and what stays.

Whoever's directing the pacing needs to be replaced, though. Dialogue and scenes transitioned way too quickly. I was fine with everything else for the most part.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
My only problem was how background characters looked awful every other important character looked great though, and I really enjoy the opening alot.

WolfOD64

My only problem was how background characters looked awful every other important character looked great though, and I really enjoy the opening alot.
I don't mind the use of CG on the armor or during the fast-paced action scenes. I will, however admit that the CG on the faces in both the movies and this anime look awful. They're deadpan and flat, and are servicable in combat scenes but nothing else.

Thing is, the movies at least compromised by using less CG in the slower-paced moments of exposition and character interaction, the animators almost always chose to have the faces animated in 2D, understandably since no action or frantic combat was happening...which is why I'm positively bewildered that this new studio handling the show chose to depict practically ALL of the episodes moments in CG, including the non-combat moments. Guts cooking, him talking to Colette, up-close facial shots of him reacting to battle scenes around him where no CG is necessary, even the aftermath where he's talking to Puck and being pestered by ghosts...CG was used on his face for absolutely no reason, and it ruins the immersion for me.

Like I said, my guess is that this first episode was rushed to move on to later material, so only time will tell if this improves. As for the opening, well...I actually think that looked significantly worse. The animation was inconsistent and the character designs looked nothing like their manga/movie counterparts. The scenes showcased in the intro were cool, just not drawn or animated well.

From what I understand, it was done by a different company. At least the song was good.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
so we are up to the 5th episode and it looks like everything is back on track. the CGI is still goofy but in the last episode, the fight scenes felt really well coordinated. The atmosphere and adult themes are exactly where they need to be and there is a lot of censoring but that was expected. It's still way more graphic than I ever expected. I'm really excited for the next episode I'm just not sure how long this season will be. it looks like 12 or 13, but I would be more than happy with 25.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Episode 6 just dropped and things are as insane as they should be.

For anyone new to BERSERK I would like to give you a chronological anime order to watch BERSERK.

BERSERK (1997)
Episode 02 - 17&18
"Band of the Hawk" through,
"Moment of Glory" &
"Tombstone of Flames"

BERSERK: Golden Age Arc III: Descent (movie)

BERSERK (1997)
Episode 01
"The Black Swordsman"

BERSERK (2016)
Episode 01
"The Dragonslayer"
(still airing)

Last edited:

WolfOD64

Episode 6 just dropped and things are as insane as they should be.

For anyone new to BERSERK I would like to give you a chronological anime order to watch BERSERK.

BERSERK (1997)
Episode 02 - 17&18
"Band of the Hawk" through,
"Moment of Glory" &
"Tombstone of Flames"

BERSERK: Golden Age Arc III: Descent (movie)

BERSERK (1997)
Episode 01
"The Black Swordsman"

BERSERK (2016)
Episode 01
"The Dragonslayer"
(still airing)
Or they could watch the Berserk Redux, which combines the films and anime to tell the Golden Age Arc in chronological order.

Top Bottom