• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Bad News or Good News?!?!

Mobfigurz

I dont know if anyone has this info, but I just read a press release from Capcom and its not a good one in my eyes.

Capcom’s "Devil May Cry 4" Goes Multiplatform! Mega-hit Title set for PLAYSTATION® 3, Xbox 360™ and PC!

Capcom Co., Ltd., a world-wide leader in the gaming industry, is proud to announce the development of "Devil May Cry 4" for the PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™ and PC platforms.

"Devil May Cry" is a series of popular, stylish action games, with a cast of unforgettable characters. Since the release of the original "Devil May Cry" in 2001, the series has shipped 6,800,000 copies as of December 31st, 2006, proudly making it one of Capcom's flagship titles. The series appeal is not limited to games; an animated TV series to be broadcast on Japan's WOWOW network is slated to air Spring 2007. The latest iteration, "Devil May Cry 4" will take advantage of each platform's hardware strengths to achieve the most stunning visuals in the series to date, and the introduction of a mysterious new protagonist will keep the action fast and fresh. Even before its release, "Devil May Cry 4" has been met with tremendous anticipation, as fans patiently endured long lines at TOKYO GAME SHOW 2006 for the chance to play the demo. "Devil May Cry 4" will be released simultaneously for the PLAYSTATION®3 and Xbox 360™ platforms.

Capcom was among the first software developers in the world to make games for the next-generation consoles, and those efforts have been met with great success. In addition, Capcom's use of an integrated development environment is one of the many methods being employed to improve efficiency and help take advantage of the cutting-edge functionality in next-generation systems.

Capcom will continue to produce titles that appeal to users while pursuing a multiplatform strategy to help enhance profits.

The Reason I say this is Bad News is primarily because I own a PS3 and my sole reason for buying it was DMC4 and GT5 and another reason for it to be seen as Bad News is this: The PS3 uses Blu-Ray, XBOX360 uses HD-DVD, the BD holds 50gb of data and the HD-DVD holds less than 20gb of data, so to me that means a cross platform game, namely DMC4 wont be as good as we were lead to believe, due to the fact that the game is going to be either developed from scratch or ported over to the XBOX from the PS3 development or vice versa. And since the BD holds so much data, are we going to lose alot of game just so Capcom can fit the same game onto a HD-DVD, will we be forced to take a limited DMC4, a redeveloped DMC4, different to what was initially planned, did Capcom sell us a dummy?

http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/news/html/e070320.html

Albion Knight

DMC n00b
Premium
It's definitely bad news for Sony
Good news for gamers I think. I sure hope Sony pulls up on the steering column soon.

KingJordan

I be tippin' down
Haha, Sony gets pwned again. How many exclusives are they gonna lose?

And it's definately not bad news.

ree_mashuko

Ree Mashuko
I am new here and I joined this site just go on a mad rant about how freakin' and outraged I am to here this news. DMC is undoubtly my favorite series and PSX are my favorite systems. Because Sony lost this, that means that PS3 has lost another KILLER EXCLUSIVE, which means that the PS3 is going futher down the hill. And that makes me sad and mad at the same time!

Mobfigurz

If Capcom had announced this from the outset Im sure there wouldnt be so much anger surrounding this news, cos as they stated, its a matter of maximising revenue and profit, that could be seen as greed or simply as good business practice, but either way the issue for me is the quality of the game.

Will they sacrifice alot, a little or none of the original ideas and storyline to make it a cross platform game?

Cos Im lead to believe Capcom had more knowledge of the PS3 hardware and thus could/would develop to the PS3's potential, if not its full potential, so what does this mean for the game itself, noot the franchise, but the game!

LiLt164L

man i just read it on game spot too so i new someone had to tell the ppl on this site but u beat me to the punch kudos im so mad cuz im a sony fan boy and i told my self if they lose DMC4 im going to go to the 360 cuz 4 one ps3 cost to much for me and i dont think the price will drop next christmas or anytime soon so soooooo long ps3 hello 360

Gilver

Blood Vengeance
I am so excited, Capcom just saved me a lot of money
lol
I already have a 360, and all I was looking forward to on it was Halo 3, but now I've got something else! whoo!

IloveVergil

Demon a$$-kicker
I think it might be good news for people like me whose parents are never going to buy a PS3.If DMC4 is released on PC then at least I'll be able to play it.

Mobfigurz

Shadyoc and Dark Drakan, why are you guys so against Sony?

I myself having all PlayStations tend to like Sony, but Im not a blind follower of Sony and their actions, for instance since the launch of the PS3 I've been annoyed and ****ed off on a major scale, due to the lack of games, software features and so on and this just boils my blood even further. Im split in my thoughts of Sony as of recently but more so after reading that Press Release.
Sony seem to be getting it all wrong, this Console was to herald in a new era in Gaming, yet its making people like myself who arent Fanboys angry.

So for me, it stands as Bad News but I can see how it would also be Good News for those of you who have the XBOX360 and/or PC's.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Mobfigurz;23824 said:
Shadyoc and Dark Drakan, why are you guys so against Sony?

I myself having all PlayStations tend like Sony, but Im not a blind follower of Sony and their actions, for instance since the launch of the PS3 I've been annoyed and ****ed off on a major scale, due to the lack of games, software features and so on and this just boils my blood even further. Im split in my thoughts of Sony as of recently but more so after reading that Press Release.
Sony seem to be getting it all wrong, this Console was to herald in a new era in Gaming, yet its making people like myself who arent Fanboys angry.

So for me, it stands as Bad News but I can see how it would also be Good News for those of you who have the XBOX360 and/or PC's.

I was always a Sony fan until the PS3, with me being from England and having to wait 6 months for it then having a price tag slapped on it thats higher than most other places, then them saying they are restricting our versions and thats just for starters. Sony were just thinking about how much money they could make out of us thinking that no matter what we would all praise them and lick their feet and take any crap excuses they gave us for the delay and buy it at any price. They were then surprised for some reason when a lot of European pre-orders were cancelled so people could import the cheaper and derestricted console from America so decided to sue anyone that did. If they hadnt raised the price for a weaker system no-one would have tried that, so its their fault in the first place. Now they wonder why they are losing exclusive titles, because companies are seeing the PS3 sales figures and knowing they can get better sales on other or multiple formats.

Mobfigurz

Dark Drakan;23825 said:
I was always a Sony fan until the PS3, with me being from England and having to wait 6 months for it then having a price tag slapped on it thats higher than most other places, then them saying they are restricting our versions and thats just for starters. Sony were just thinking about how much money they could make out of us thinking that no matter what we would all praise them and lick their feet and take any crap excuses they gave us for the delay and buy it at any price. They were then surprised for some reason when a lot of European pre-orders were cancelled so people could import the cheaper and derestricted console from America so decided to sue anyone that did. If they hadnt raised the price for a weaker system no-one would have tried that, so its their fault in the first place. Now they wonder why they are losing exclusive titles, because companies are seeing the PS3 sales figures and knowing they can get better sales on other or multiple formats.

I agree to some extent, Im also from the UK and I purchased mine while I was in Los Angeles in November. Im not a technology geek or anything, but I thought about the price difference even before launch and the only restrictions I would face using a US PS3, so I purchased mine and brought it back with me for £320. I mean if people did their research before hand they wouldnt be pre-ordering in a rush to say 'I have a launch PS3'. Im not saying the consumers are to blame, but they do contribute to a degree, for instance, like I got mine ahead of time and I researched the system for weeks and weeks before I decided Im gonna get it.
So while I have complaints with Sony, its not due to the fact that I got a Launch console, which will always struggle as history has shown, no Console takes big numbers or has a impressive list of launch titles.
Im happy with the price I paid, knowing it would be in the region of £500 here, I over estimated but either way my complaint with Sony is the lack of titles and features, as well as exclusives and a lack of.

As for an inferior PS3 for the UK market, thats not entirely true, the EE chips work will be handed over to emulation software and even my PS3 which has the EE chip will have the emulation handed over to the software with a Firmware update and in April, all PS3's produced will be produced without the EE chip.

KoRnDawwg

-is writing an album
Dark Drakan;23823 said:
Im sure you mean Playstation 3 :p

Plus its their own fault :lol:

But I love my playstation 2, and I am really p****ed off that it isn't for both the PS2 and PS3. I am a big sony fan...

Dark Drakan

Admin
Mobfigurz;23829 said:
I agree to some extent, Im also from the UK and I purchased mine while I was in Los Angeles in November. Im not a technology geek or anything, but I thought about the price difference even before launch and the only restrictions I would face using a US PS3, so I purchased mine and brought it back with me for £320. I mean if people did their research before hand they wouldnt be pre-ordering in a rush to say 'I have a launch PS3'. Im not saying the consumers are to blame, but they do contribute to a degree, for instance, like I got mine ahead of time and I researched the system for weeks and weeks before I decided Im gonna get it.
So while I have complaints with Sony, its not due to the fact that I got a Launch console, which will always struggle as history has shown, no Console takes big numbers or has a impressive list of launch titles.
Im happy with the price I paid, knowing it would be in the region of £500 here, I over estimated but either way my complaint with Sony is the lack of titles and features, as well as exclusives and a lack of.

As for an inferior PS3 for the UK market, thats not entirely true, the EE chips work will be handed over to emulation software and even my PS3 which has the EE chip will have the emulation handed over to the software with a Firmware update and in April, all PS3's produced will be produced without the EE chip.

You made a nice move by getting the US PS3 while you were there and avoided being ripped off here. I just dont see how their price tag here is justified at all, if anything we should at least pay same price as US but our price is not only slightly higher than theirs but its higher by a few hundred dollars and i dont see how Sony can expect us to pay more for waiting so long.

Then they gave us the bull story about them not having enough chips to supply European PS3's to make enough for demand even though they had way to many PS3's sent to Japan and US, so much so that most are still sitting on the shelves. So why didnt they just ship us a set amount and then ship in more as needed, sure as hell wouldnt have been 6 months before we were stocked up here.

Also their decisions have been really confusing, losing Dualshock ability then lying about the reason they parted ways with 'Immersion' and then having to backtrack and reveal the truth and get them back. I dont mind them losing rights to their Exclusive titles as, as a gamer thats fine and gives people more opportunities to buy them on multiple platforms but losing exclusive rights to games like GTA, Assassins Creed and DMC is business suicide for Sony.

KoRn_Dowwg666;23831 said:
But I love my playstation 2, and I am really p****ed off that it isn't for both the PS2 and PS3. I am a big sony fan...

Well it will still be released on the PS3 so you can still get it...

shadyoc

Devil Slayr
Well, how in any way is it bad news? Just means that morepeople get to enjoy the experience. And I love nothing more than seeing DMC go to the X360!

Mobfigurz

Dark Drakan;23832 said:
You made a nice move by getting the US PS3 while you were there and avoided being ripped off here. I just dont see how their price tag here is justified at all, if anything we should at least pay same price as US but our price is not only slightly higher than theirs but its higher by a few hundred dollars and i dont see how Sony can expect us to pay more for waiting so long.

Then they gave us the bull story about them not having enough chips to supply European PS3's to make enough for demand even though they had way to many PS3's sent to Japan and US, so much so that most are still sitting on the shelves. So why didnt they just ship us a set amount and then ship in more as needed, sure as hell wouldnt have been 6 months before we were stocked up here.

Also their decisions have been really confusing, losing Dualshock ability then lying about the reason they parted ways with 'Immersion' and then having to backtrack and reveal the truth and get them back. I dont mind them losing rights to their Exclusive titles as, as a gamer thats fine and gives people more opportunities to buy them on multiple platforms but losing exclusive rights to games like GTA, Assassins Creed and DMC is business suicide for Sony.

Once again, I agree with you on many points.

The price isnt justified and for the life of me I cant see what sense it makes for Sony to neglect the European Market, as a whole we game more and purchase more technology than the entire US and Japan.

As for the shipments, I do believe that there was a shortage, cos I landed in L.A on 22nd of November and got my hands on 3 of em just after December 10th. But that wasnt an easy thing to do, I had to track them down and there were still lines, pushing and shoving. No store manager knew anything, no knowledge of shipments coming in and stock amounts, the problem was the employee's, they helped make the shortage worse by buying up the consoles that came in and flooding eBay with them at a ludacris price.
But I believe Sony did 'F' the whole thing up, the delay firstly, then the lack of units, the push backs in Europe and lack of units again. The whole affair was messed up.

On the exclusive titles, its a good thing for other gamers, but in my eyes not so good. Firstly, by losing exclusives, Sony loses strength in the Gaming Market place and sales also. Liek you said, Suicide!

shadyoc;23838 said:
Well, how in any way is it bad news? Just means that morepeople get to enjoy the experience. And I love nothing more than seeing DMC go to the X360!

Like I stated before, its Bad News for PS3 owners in the short term and long term, as it weakens Sony's power in teh Market, losing a cross platform title is bad enough, but to lose an Exclusive is deadly.
What will other studios take from that, what will consumers make of it, will it ultimately effect the sales of the console and influence studios to move away from the PS3

Top Bottom