• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Arkham deserves as much recognition as the "Sons of Sparda"

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelttub

Honestly, I think that Arkham(the lady's father) is a very underrated or under appreciated character. As you can see, he is incredibly smart. He was able to manipulate lady into believing that he was possessed and even tricked the amazing Vergil into helping him. That is extremely risky and takes alot of nerve. Plus, remeber that time when Arkham was able to take down Vergil and Dante with a sweeping kick? That also shows he was'nt just smart. I just want to know your opinions on him.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
he was interesting. its a shame he devolved into a ugly purple blob. but at least he didn't turn into the most annoying boss in gaming history ( which is what sanctus did when he used force edge/sparda.) it might be cool if he is included in another game ( probably something explaining more about vergil's past)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
IMO, Arkham should've gotten Sparda's true power. It would've been much cooler if we'd actually gotten to fight and defeat Sparda's power. It would've made Dante and Vergil look oh-so-much cooler defeating their dear old dad.

Also, indeed, Arkham is terribly underrated. Besides, Jester is funny, which by extension technically makes Arkham funny. o_O The way I see it, Jester is all of Arkham's pent up insanity.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
...He's 'underappreciated' 'cause he's butt ugly and bald. Amirite?

You've got a point though. He tricked Lady, Dante and Vergil quite easily, defeated them, researched how to bring back the Temen-Ni-Gru and even entered hell and grabbed Sparda's power for himself. Not bad going for a human, although his blob form showed him up at the end.

If you ask me you should hate a bad guy. I hate Arkham. So he's done his job well!

Karen_Azalea

Best Super Penguin ^^
Lexy;209450 said:
If you ask me you should hate a bad guy. I hate Arkham. So he's done his job well!

:huh: But Vergil is a bad guy as well... so does that mean you hate Vergil as much as you hate the bald? I hope you don't x(

Sparda™

If you ask me, all Devil May Cry bosses lack finesse. They are just monstrous, enormous, ugly or old.

Haven't seen one Dante-like, which, to be honest, would be more challenging. I wanna see someone humiliate Dante in a battle.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
Sparda™;209487 said:
I wanna see someone humiliate Dante in a battle.

I would love to see that.

Regarding Arkham if he was so smart he would have realised that his body would not have been able to handle Spardas power (to work out every little detail and not take into consideration that you dont actually have Spardas blood which he sealed the gate with and then be like "won't be needing you boys anymore")
Admittedly it would have been more fun to fight an imitation Sparda who could use his powers (it would have fit better with DMC3's notorious difficulty)

He must not have had a very good motive because I can't remember why he wanted it other than the fact that he was greedy and wanted to become a god..

aka958

Don't trust people
Sparda™;209487 said:
If you ask me, all Devil May Cry bosses lack finesse. They are just monstrous, enormous, ugly or old.

Haven't seen one Dante-like, which, to be honest, would be more challenging. I wanna see someone humiliate Dante in a battle.

Like Wesker in RE5 for example?
Dante in DMC4 was an awesome fight, it's great with some variation. There are humans fighting against Dante throughout the games, or human like.

Bolverk, Dante, Vergil, Angelo credo, Agnus, Argus (dunno his name), Nelo angelo (Vergil), Doppleganger and Sanctus.

Angelo credo is human but went through a transformation. He ain't monstrous, enormous, ugly or old.

Bolverk, monstrous? Still, a little more "human like" opponent.

Dante is half demon and definetly counts.

Agnus, you fight him behind glass but as human.

Argus, I remember you fight him as a human.

Nelo angelo, he uses a little magic but not gigantic attacks and forms.

Vergil counts, as obious as Dante.

Doppleganger? It should count, right?

Sanctus, yes he is old but he ain't no giant monster.

But someone humiliate Dante in battle? That would be awesome! But aren't Vergil taunting Dante in battle in DMC3? Not humiliating but taunting is something, right?

Sparda™

Eh, none of them meets the expectations of the evil guy being 10.000 times more powerful than the good guy and humiliates the good guy, defeats him in stylish maneuvers etc.

Devil May Cry just puts Dante in the top and none can beat him. He can be stabbed but that's It. None has really put him to danger.

Wesker, in the other hand, is 100.000.000.000 times more powerful than Chris, Jill, Leon, Ada, Sheva all put together. Don't take in account Capcom's bull**** about ending Resident Evil in the most horrendous way and in finding weaknesses which can't be explained in the earlier games. Wesker needed no injections to sustain the stability of the virus.

My point is, Devil May Cry needs to get a little dark, gritty. It looks like a fairy tale, too soft, too predictable also.

EDIT: To answer the question of the thread-maker, no, Arkham deserves nothing. He was just smart. He did horrible things to get where he wanted to, but no side goal, no mystery - It suddenly got so obvious. He's as shallow as the history of a Hell Vanguard.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I agree with SpardaTM:

To answer the question of the thread-maker, no, Arkham deserves nothing. He was just smart. He did horrible things to get where he wanted to, but no side goal, no mystery - It suddenly got so obvious. He's as shallow as the history of a Hell Vanguard.

For Arkham, it was a convenient. Playing off two brothers that hated each other. Playing on Vergil wanting power. Arkham,s wife and Daughter who we're of thae same blood of that as the woman that Sparda sacrificed.
In the end, he wasn't expecting the two brothers to come together to stop him.

It was a convenience.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Karen_Azalea;209456 said:
:huh: But Vergil is a bad guy as well... so does that mean you hate Vergil as much as you hate the bald? I hope you don't x(

Of course not! ;)

Vergil isn't meant to be the cardboard standee-type bad guy, his relationship with Dante and motivations are more complex than Arkham's and it seems intentional on the part of the designers that he should be different from Arkham and a foil for Dante.

Arkham is your archetypal megalomaniac, and never even gives a clue why he's so seduced by evil, or why he wants to be a God beyond just wanting it. Vergil's got other reasons for doing what he does. Rightful heritage, hate of defeat, need for strength, possible complex about being a half-breed...

Darth Angelo

Sparda™;209507 said:
Wesker needed no injections to sustain the stability of the virus.

They never even explained what the virus was exactly other than 'something Birkin made' the eyes would suggest modified or perfected G-Virus, maybe they never went into detail because they wanted to leave something open to take advantage of when his time finally came. One of the many plot holes they left with Wesker and the Orginisation.

aka958

Don't trust people
Sparda™;209507 said:
Eh, none of them meets the expectations of the evil guy being 10.000 times more powerful than the good guy and humiliates the good guy, defeats him in stylish maneuvers etc.

Devil May Cry just puts Dante in the top and none can beat him. He can be stabbed but that's It. None has really put him to danger.

Wesker, in the other hand, is 100.000.000.000 times more powerful than Chris, Jill, Leon, Ada, Sheva all put together. Don't take in account Capcom's bull**** about ending Resident Evil in the most horrendous way and in finding weaknesses which can't be explained in the earlier games. Wesker needed no injections to sustain the stability of the virus.

My point is, Devil May Cry needs to get a little dark, gritty. It looks like a fairy tale, too soft, too predictable also.

EDIT: To answer the question of the thread-maker, no, Arkham deserves nothing. He was just smart. He did horrible things to get where he wanted to, but no side goal, no mystery - It suddenly got so obvious. He's as shallow as the history of a Hell Vanguard.

True, every word. Especially the Wesker part. He is even hard to beat even with the injection. To get him on his knees takes lots of hits. And then you can hold him for like 2 seconds for you or your partner to act.

Arkham, is nothing special. Just annoying, a little brain and no greater goal at all.

aoshi

Arkham was a stereo typical monk like boss seeking forbidden power but would give capcom credit of disguising him as jester. I never saw that one coming. As a character, He is not impressive with his actions as "dressing up like an idiot" or scheming to get dante and vergil's blood. As some one above said, A bad guy needs to be hated. So he did a better job at that. (Mission 19 was jus never ending on DMD).

"Humiliate dante" - How much more does capcom need to do that?

1)Nero throws and pummels him like a rag doll.
2)Vergil stabs him.
3)Beowulff does not cut him some slack.
4)Trish stabs him with sparda sword.

These are too many hits for a protagonist carrying a sword.Dante has been the most beaten up protagonist in gaming which is why some fans do not give credit to dante. May be as fans, we do.I would not want capcom to repeat the above but put him against challenging bosses.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
aoshi;211016 said:
Arkham was a stereo typical monk like boss seeking forbidden power but would give capcom credit of disguising him as jester. I never saw that one coming. As a character, He is not impressive with his actions as "dressing up like an idiot" or scheming to get dante and vergil's blood. As some one above said, A bad guy needs to be hated. So he did a better job at that. (Mission 19 was jus never ending on DMD).

2)Vergil stabs him.

These are too many hits for a protagonist carrying a sword.Dante has been the most beaten up protagonist in gaming which is why some fans do not give credit to dante. May be as fans, we do.I would not want capcom to repeat the above but put him against challenging bosses.

"Dante" the name means 'enduring' I think. Fitting, ain't it?

Darth Angelo

aoshi;211016 said:

2)Vergil stabs him.

I think its more about making Dante realise that he isn't unbeatable, kind of like what they did at the end of the Anime. Part of the reason why I liked Nero in 4 more because his story was a struggle and overcoming that struggle made the ending that much better. With Dante it was like he didn't even break a sweat, his part of the story was boring and shallow imo.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
^ this. I don't like the fact that Dante seems unbeatable, and it makes it look too easy. He took down the king of the underworld when he was only twenty? Get real, Capcom! It's also why I liked Nero better. Because unlike Dante, he actually has to try.

aoshi

Dante's playthrough was a struggle in DMC3 except for the cut scenes did not portray them. His ****y attitude shadows his struggle yet dante did struggle to reach the final stage which is hard for everyone to comprehend. May be not every one takes a blow with a smile but dante did with trish and beowulff. Meh, i can go on and on but that's not thread's subject now is it.

Sparda™

Dante never had a hard time.

I want to see him humiliated to the point of having each of his move dodged with ease, insulted, word-played etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like Dante, but he needs to be more down to earth rather than be untouchable. Sparda's son or not, there are plenty of demons and whatnot 1000 times more powerful than Dante.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom