• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Anyone else sick of this in EVERY Devil May Cry game?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Devil May Cry 1, 2, 3, 4, AND DmC.

What do they all share in common?

I'll give you a hint;

DMC1: Sparda has sealed Mundus away for thousands of years. But he plans to rise again. Dante must join Trish in defeating Mundus once again just as his father did.

DMC2: Sparda saved the city once upon a time, now Dante must do the same.

DMC3: Vergil wants Sparda's power and will kill anyone to get it. Arkham wants Sparda's power as well. Dante must defeat them both in order to save the world, just as Sparda did.

DMC4: Sparda is god, and now Dante must go and stop the evil organization who worships him from taking over the world while meeting a kid who has the same bloodline as Sparda somehow.

DmC: Eva and Sparda got together, had the twins, Mundus got ****ed and killed Eva and imprisoned Sparda. Now Dante and Vergil have to fight Mundus to save humanity.

You starting to see it now?

Everything seems to be Sparda's fault most of the time and honestly it gets annoying. Dante has to keep cleaning up Sparda's mess and that's been the point of all Devil May Cry stories. I hope if a DMC5 is made, they think of something new to add.

But yeah, anyone else sick of Sparda being the reason for everything over and over again?

Last edited:

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
Yeah. It's all ways about Sparda. Sparda this! Sparda that! What about Dante?! He his the main character. Why have the plot be around Sparda? I'm sure there are other daemons the DMC can focus on? The would be awesome to see other powerfully baddies for Dante to fight.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Meanwhile, in DmC... :cool:

LOL indeed, all s*** generated from Sparda's actions there too xD

Dante speaks the truth.
24vih51.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Viper

Premium
DMC2 technically didn't revolve around Sparda. Sure he was mentioned, and Matier was dangling story of him like a doggy treat in front of Dante's nose, but his power was not in focus, it was Argosax.
Anime as well, the most Sparda got was a statue in park and a brief mention here and there, while power of Abigail was the one Sid was after.

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!
Yeah, DmC is suspiciously missing in OP.

Anyway, I agree, it's becoming stale in DMC's narrative, but I don't think it's Sparda's fault for becoming a McGuffin of some kind in all of the games. He did all he could to help the human race. Blame the writers. Also, they should totally give us a Sparda prequel. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) #hope

berto

I Saw the Devil
In the original game it was setting up the mythology and the people in it. It was also a very personal journey for Dante so the fact that this mother, father and brother were all very central personalities was a given. That was fine.

In two Sparda was a bit of an after thought. He didn't even need to be present or mentioned beyond his relation to Dante, so it was a missed opportunity to have Dante just do something of his own. Unfortunately, Sparda was built up to be a huge part of the mythos and to not mention him in the sequel, or have him be as prevalent, might've not even been an option.

In 3 it was another rather personal tale about his family and the only one really left out of the center was Eva; her amulets were more central than she was. This I didn't mind. I thought it a solid story and I don't think I'd want it changed. The manga also focused heavily on the actions of Sparda but since it was, shall we say, just an extended introduction I wouldn't want to go without it.

DMC4 is where it all becomes worn and overused. As the last two game focused on the concept of a human seeking to become a god via demonic power, Arkham specifically wanted Sparda's, doing a 3rd time in a row, being all about a human wanting godhood through demonic power and the second to do so by using Sparda's sword to 'become Sparda' those themes have become far too common in the DMC mythos.

While I wouldn't want to change the focus of DMC3 I also would've preferred to only really have the Sparda oriented stories be limited to DMC1. Dante's entire legend as demon hunter should be about him and his actions rather than the impact Sparda left behind. Granted the man lived for 2,000 as a human and shaped the world from the shadows so it's not like there wouldn't be traces of his actions throughout the land but how is Dante, who has surpassed his father, suppose to surpass his father when all they have him doing is repeating his actions or only working on Sparda related jobs?

I don't mind that Sparda be brought up every now and then. Like I said, he is far too prominent a part of that universe to go unmentioned but not everyone need to revolve their lives around him, especially someone as independant as Dante who wouldn't be happy staying in his father's shadow. It's a big world, more stories could easily be made without the need to be so Sparda centric.

DmC did it to Dragon, don't know why you left that out the list
Yeah, but there Eva was the more prominent figure of the two. Sparda was such an unimpressive figure here I don't know why been a Son of Soccer Dad is any title to be proud of. They might as well change it to the Sons of Eva.

LOL indeed, all sh!t generated from Sparda's actions there too xD
Please censor more of the word than just the one letter.

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
DmC was not about sparda, it's about a character named Tameem, once upon a time capcom made a franchise, they wanted to reboot it and leave it to tameem.. it's up to dante to convince people for tameem's work, about 1.600.000 people were convinced, give or take.. alright take..

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm going to put a stop to it right there. Stick to the subject. All DmC comments need to be regarding the subject matter and the topic rather than just for bashing. The topic is clear, that is what the conversation is, let's stay on point less this turns ugly before long.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
To note;

I didn't put DmC in because that was more, or less Dante's own mythology being done. Sparda may have helped give birth, but the story was for the most part in Dante's court, as oppose to everything to do with Sparda and Dante having to clean up his mess.

Neigh Bird

SSStrange!!!
To note;

I didn't put DmC in because that was more, or less Dante's own mythology being done. Sparda may have helped give birth, but the story was for the most part in Dante's court, as oppose to everything to do with Sparda and Dante having to clean up his mess.

Uh, Sparda betrayed Mundus by falling for Eva and conceiving Dante and Vergil. That set off Mundus and started the whole biz. --It was up to Vergil and Dante to put an end to the beef.

DmC deserves to be up there with the rest.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Uh, Sparda betrayed Mundus by falling for Eva and conceiving Dante and Vergil. That set off Mundus and started the whole biz. --It was up to Vergil and Dante to put an end to the beef.

DmC deserves to be up there with the rest.
That is true, the setup was very much about Sparda and Eva but think about just how much of DMC3 and 4 was relevant to Sparda.

In 3 it's about gathering the amulets he used to seal the demon realm and breaking the seals which he created 2,000 years ago by capturing the 7 sins and nailing them down to the foundation of the tower and so that Arkham and Vergil could collect his sword and gain his power with the blood of the priests he sacrificed. Sparda is constantly been spoken of and he is even the goal for Arkham and Vergil. Dante wrestles with his feelings for his heritage and how he sees his father and brother. He is at the core of the plot and motivation for the characters.

In 4 there is an entire society dedicated to Sparda, he is their god. There are statues of him and people talk about him more than they do about any other character in the game. His swords and his image are crucial to the plot and foundation of the setting. It's all pretty much about Sparda.

In DmC, however, it's about taking down Mundus. Sparda is spoken of, referenced and even shown but the actual participants of Sparda is minimal and he really only has about 3 minutes total of actual presence and mention. Like I said, Eva was far more prevalent to the characters, the story, and progression of both than Sparda ever was. He is barely in there and when he is he is just a meh.

In contrast to DMC3 and 4 Sparda is almost only there as an obligation rather than a force that shaped the world like he was in 3 and 4.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Is it sad that when I first played DMC4, I was expecting people to call Dante Jesus, because of that?
But they wouldn't call him Jesus. If anything they'd call Jesus other people's version of their Dante. While to me Jesus is the prominent figure in my creed to them calling Dante Jesus would be like me calling Jesus Heracles. As nice a Jesus is I don't think he'd appreciate it.

I know what you're saying, though. It shouldn't be, 'oh, my god, he's got a gun! FLEE!' it should be more like 'the son on our messiah is here. Would you do us the honor merring me and my girlfriend? We go plenty of beer.'

Veloran

They can't drop Sparda until, at the very least, they finally reveal what happened to him.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
But they wouldn't call him Jesus. If anything they'd call Jesus other people's version of their Dante. While to me Jesus is the prominent figure in my creed to them calling Dante Jesus would be like me calling Jesus Heracles. As nice a Jesus is I don't think he'd appreciate it.

I know what you're saying, though. It shouldn't be, 'oh, my god, he's got a gun! FLEE!' it should be more like 'the son on our messiah is here. Would you do us the honor merring me and my girlfriend? We go plenty of beer.'
Well I didn't mean literally call him Jesus. I mean as soon as I read "Worship Sparda as a god" I immediately said out loud "So does that make Dante, Jesus to them?"...I thought it was funny....When I heard Credo say "Your holiness" in the opening cinematic (no not the opening cutscene, I mean the thing before the start menu showing cutscene clips) I actually thought he was shouting to Dante

Top Bottom