• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Another review: 7,5/10, from insight-factor...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I believe the problem is that reviewers have been raising the bar in terms of ratings.

I mean, even 6 years ago, games that were rated between 7 - 8 were deemed as good games. Where as anything higher was fairly superb. It also deals with how gaming companies set the bar in terms of good games too, imo.

I think it's the problem of the growing gaming industry. Publishers are becoming much more invested in what they're sinking money into, and so a lot of them are imposing this insane guideline that a game's metacritic score has to be in the 80s or higher, or 8+ in 10 point scores. That mentality spilled over onto fledgling gamers because the communities were opening up more, too, and so you have the people with the money on both ends (publisher and consumer) with skewed ideas about scoring :/

Razyel

Soul Reaver
If a game gets a 7.5/10 from official reviewers such as Gametrailers or Gamespot, you can be sure it's worth less than that.
Good games often get rated 9/10, and so do less impressive games. Fable III really is a damn mediocre game, and yet, it gets a 9/10 and so forth. Now, if it's from Edge Magazine, it might be a good review. I don't have much experience with that site, though. I don't know this 'Insight Factor'.

And not to be a grammar nazi, but it's 'gets', not 'get's'.
Edge is a bunch of crap, how can they give InFamous 2 - 6
and Prototype - 8?

I know how terrible, I got Eximia on my English...
That's given to the best 10% of all high school students in Finland :lol:

Dante47

I bet it's only because that way they can get more people on their site and ofc watch the ads...
In today's gaming society, I wouldn't put that pass them.

Still, they don't pander nearly as much as IGN does.
I'm already sick of IGN cramming down people's throats that they have to like DmC.
It gives the fan base a bad look.

Gbraga

Edge gave InFamous 2 a six?
Still, not as bad as some of the more recent reviews found on PC Gamer.
They gave Max Payne 3 a 55.
The nerve. >_<
I think inFAMOUS 2 was FANTASTIC, and Festival of Blood was truly amazing, one of the best games I've played last year, but I agree with the Max Payne 3 low score. I also agree with the HItman Absolution low score they gave, I think they're both terrible games, which is a shame because mechanic-wise they're both great.

Dante47

I think inFAMOUS 2 was FANTASTIC, and Festival of Blood was truly amazing, one of the best games I've played last year, but I agree with the Max Payne 3 low score. I also agree with the HItman Absolution low score they gave, I think they're both terrible games, which is a shame because mechanic-wise they're both great.
How was Max Payne 3 terrible?
The shooting was raw and incredibly well done, the story and dialogue was well written and performed well, it was graphically a stand out this year...
I understood the disappointment for Hitman, but Max Payne? It stands tall with its predecessors.

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Yeah, IGN used to be my number 1 site when it was about gaming. But seriously how can they give Blops2 9.3 and LBP Carting 5...

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, IGN used to be my number 1 site when it was about gaming. But seriously how can they give Blops2 9.3 and LBP Carting 5...

Did you know that IGN is owned by News Corp, the same company that owns FOX News?

Explains things, doesn't it?

Gbraga

How was Max Payne 3 terrible?
The shooting was raw and incredibly well done, the story and dialogue was well written and performed well, it was graphically a stand out this year...
I understood the disappointment for Hitman, but Max Payne? It stands tall with its predecessors.
The gunplay was really good, but there was SO MANY cutscenes that it broke the game in my opinion, and most of them are unskippable, which kills any replay. You literally wait 10 minutes before you're able to play, and it's a tutorial where you have to press the button they tell, I'm not joking, you watch at least half of the game, there are cutscenes even for climbing stairs, they couldn't do even this on gameplay? There are even cutscenes for walking from one room to another, and the way they always make you start with the pistol even if you had another weapon equipped right before the unnecessary cutscene is really annoying too. The english voice acting was good (specially Max Payne's voice), but the portuguese voice work is awful. The words they highlighted during dialogues made no sense whatsoever lol

And Max, SHUT UP ABOUT YOUR BOOZE ALREADY.

If the Arcade mode eliminated 100% of the cutscenes, I'd have a blast replaying the 3 hour campaign every now and then aiming for a high score, but I just can't sit myself through those damn cutscenes again.

Again, the gunplay is pretty good and I like the way you have to handle the game's physics (Max is no super hero) and take that into account before you start jumping around, but the game overall was a bad experience to me.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Off topic: I thought Max Payne 3 was amazing in most ways. Not being able to skip the cutscenes never bothered me since I play Metal Gear Solid games where you have to wait for an hour for just one cutscene to end.

Dante47

I enjoyed most of the game. Sure, it's not very replayable, but I was strangely fine with that.
Max Payne 3 for me was a one time experience that works well.
The idea of redemption suits Max Payne wonderfully, and if it is the last game, it's a worthy swan song.
Off topic: I thought Max Payne 3 was amazing in most ways. Not being able to skip the cutscenes never bothered me since I play Metal Gear Solid games where you have to wait for an hour for just one cutscene to end.
Don't even get me started on Metal Gear.
That series is so wonderful... ^_^

TyIquan_DmC

*completely off of the current topic*

I don't know. I feel as though if DmC averaged a 75 on Metacritic it'd be viewed as a failure. I would view it as a failure. Because today, that is a failure. People call NT s*** developers, and their games average around 80. The only DMC under 80 is DMC2.

I don't mean to be a fanboy, but going by what we've seen and played, there's no way this is a 75 scoring game. Not with GoW constantly in the 90s.

This game has atmosphere achieved through wonderful art direction and more than serviceable graphics, story and top notch performance acting, gameplay, accessible difficulty compared to DMC1/3, and it's gameplay is more accessible itself.

In 2008 this would be a no brainer 90+.

Ok, I'm done.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Edge is a bunch of crap, how can they give InFamous 2 - 6
and Prototype - 8?

I know how terrible, I got Eximia on my English...
That's given to the best 10% of all high school students in Finland :lol:

I haven't played Infamous 2, so I can't say anything about it, other than that it didn't look interesting to me.
Prototype 1 was pretty good, though an 8/10 might be a stretch.

Top Bottom