• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

About the Digital Only Release Outside of Japan

berto

I Saw the Devil
Welp. I'm tired of complaining and now it's time to do something about it. The problem is I don't know what that would be; I am open to suggestions. The only thing I can think of is we contact Capcom and and let them know of our stance on it.

The only person I know we can contact regarding this is GregaMan but I don't know to what capacity or extent he can help out but I'm hoping he can open communications. On top of that I don't know about petitions, I don't think I've ever seen one work. That, however, might have to do with how said petitions are presented. Most petitions I can think of are ridiculous and sometimes downright insulting so I think we have to come off as reasonable people and not petulant children throwing a tantrum at a store, which I just saw two days ago and it is not how we want to be seen.

At the same time, if we open communications we might be able to learn why they decided to go Digital only outside Japan and see if we can somehow change that or help motivate a change of heart. Lets say for example that a physical release would bump up the price to a hypothetical $60 as opposed to yet another hypothetical $40. Perhaps those who want it enough to pay the price difference are enough to have a small limited release of the game and only those who pre-order it get copies. By the way, I don't know finances, I couldn't tell you if this scenario or one like it is even plausible but it's worth trying to look into it at the very least.

By the way, I realized that I don't actually know who isn't getting a retail release besides us in the US. Anyone here from Europe, Asia, Latin America, or other regions who want a physical don't be shy. Again, worse that can happen is we couldn't make it happen and in that case we are exactly where we started.

Bottom line. Best case scenario we get our physical release, we all live happily ever after and this game keeps us from ever leaving our homes again. Worst case scenario they say no because they can't or because they won't or because it's too late, whatever. If it turns out that Japan are the only ones that will get a retail copy then I say we ask Capcom to help those of us who want one get an import copy.

Importing from Japan is expensive, believe me. Amazon.co.jp only has one rate to the US and it charges $20 for a book with quick delivery. If it's the same price for movies/video games then the $40 price tag I think the game has just went up to full retail. Maybe we can ask them to ship a few copies to Capcom USA, Asia, Europe, Latin America and so on; like I said above, you only get one if you pre-order through Best Buy, Target, GameStop, Amazon, EB Games, or Capcom store only, whoever. As long as the game is not region locked and has localization to English and other standard languages the Japanese version should be fine for PS4 users. XBox One owners, someone tell me if the One is region free like the PS4 so you aren't left out.

In a nutshell, we start communications, we let Capcom know of our interests, maybe show him that there are numbers enough to warrant (Since maybe sales of the DmCDE that led to this decision, I don't know), find out why and see if we can change their minds in a civilized manner, and if that doesn't work have them help us import... And that's all I got. Sorry it got long winded to say so little but, you know...

Again, open to ideas. Anyone?

Dominus

I would like a physical release, but a digital release seems so safe. I think they must have had a limited budget with DmC: DE and DMC4:SE, so they choose DmC: DE for PS4 and Xbone (no PC), and DMC4:SE for PS4 and Xbone with PC, but no physical release. Hopefully if we voice our opinion they will change their minds...

scionicspectre

It wouldn't hurt if everyone interested simply said so directly to Capcom. Who exactly would be the best person to take it up with? Really, all we can do is ask and hope to be heard. Beyond that, and asking for help importing the game as you said, there really is nothing you can do.

Boycotting it would only hurt Devil May Cry as a franchise- I doubt it would convince them, since most fans will buy it anyway regardless of how strongly they feel about it (myself, included). You could also record a heartwarming documentary about how you shared DMC 4 with your friends and it brought you all closer (and convinced them to buy their own copy), but that's scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Frazz

General gamer
I suggest that you tag/ message GregaMan about this thread and then have those who want a physical release 'like' the main post. Perhaps even pin it so that it's more visible and have the comments be what country the people that want a physical copy live in. That's probably the best way I can think of...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I think if devilmaycry.org fans of DMC4 gather together and make small petition to Capcom it may somewhat improve chance of physical release

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Thing is, petition or public outcry, we have no way of assuring a physical release...and in the time it'll take for Capcom to take this response seriously, the game would've probably seen a physical distribution in Japan already.

If you want to play it safe, and still get your retail copy in some form, I'd advise sticking to protesting/petitioning, but consider importing the Japanese retail edition. Sites like PlayAsia will most definitely carry it, and it'll be a nice back-up in case things don't go well.

Judge

Theres been no confirmation yet from Capcom that DMC4 will be limited to a digital only release. I don't see why Capcom woulnd't release it for consoles as well. That woulnd't make sense they did DMC HD collection, and DmC.

There is also the option of importing the game from Japan.

I think Capcom should release the DMC HD collection and DMC4 SE together in one package as well for PS4/X1. As part of a bigger collection.

Frazz

General gamer
Theres been no confirmation yet from Capcom that DMC4 will be limited to a digital only release. I don't see why Capcom woulnd't release it for consoles as well. That woulnd't make sense they did DMC HD collection, and DmC.

There is also the option of importing the game from Japan.

I think Capcom should release the DMC HD collection and DMC4 SE together in one package as well for PS4/X1. As part of a bigger collection.
I'm afraid that GregaMan's post on the Capcom Unity website states that the game is digital only for the West.

I think we should do something ASAP to let Capcom know that we want the physical version - the sooner we do something then the more likely something'll be done.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Right.

I don't have a Capcom-Unity account. Does anyone who does want to contact him and let him know?

Judge

I'm afraid that GregaMan's post on the Capcom Unity website states that the game is digital only for the West.

I think we should do something ASAP to let Capcom know that we want the physical version - the sooner we do something then the more likely something'll be done.

My advice is to import the game from Japan to send the message to Capcom and buy the game digitally as well.

Besides, its possible that if DMC4 SE is popular and sells a lot of copies they will release it again in the west as a hard copy.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
What if Capcom just can't? I mean, they aren't doing too hot in the financial situation and all their recent endeavors just seem like things to keep their heads above water. A lot of smaller and cheaper projects that are only just remasters, DLC, and episodic games.

It'll cost them money that they are probably afraid they won't make back in the western market. And just look at Devil May Cry in general, it's a series that doesn't garner huge attention anymore compared to other games out there. Not trying to rain on any parade, but you gotta realize Devil May Cry's popularity nowadays is a tad overestimated. New fans are hard to grab and we've all just been familiar with it for years.

I think you guys should be just happy you're getting it at all, because I doubt Capcom can afford things they want to do. There big guns are going in to stuff like Street Fighter V because it's the safest big bet they got.

I do hope the physical release is on the table somewhere down the line though. I really do.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@GregaMan You have been summoned. What do you think would be the best way to communicate we want this?
Hehe... I think we should go to him and say this rather than wait for him to drop by.

What if Capcom just can't? I mean, they aren't doing too hot in the financial situation and all their recent endeavors just seem like things to keep their heads above water. A lot of smaller and cheaper projects that are only just remasters, DLC, and episodic games.

It'll cost them money that they are probably afraid they won't make back in the western market. And just look at Devil May Cry in general, it's a series that doesn't garner huge attention anymore compared to other games out there. Not trying to rain on any parade, but you gotta realize Devil May Cry's popularity nowadays is a tad overestimated. New fans are hard to grab and we've all just been familiar with it for years.

I think you guys should be just happy you're getting it at all, because I doubt Capcom can afford things they want to do. There big guns are going in to stuff like Street Fighter V because it's the safest big bet they got.

I do hope the physical release is on the table somewhere down the line though. I really do.
I am aware of all this, that there might just not be a way to it. That's why I said that worse case scenario we ask them so help people import the game. Seeing how expensive it is to import online a little assistance making that easier shouldn't be anywhere near as difficult a task as publishing physical copies in the rest of the world.

Judge

This is what confuses me. DMC4 sold 3 mil copies, why would Capcom not release it again as a physical hard copy when it sold so many copies the first time round?

It seems to me the motive is to be as cost effective as possible. Capcom gain the most by releasing this game digitally and avoiding the cost assocaited with printing hard copies. Now I think about it, every time a game is released digitally on PSN and Xbox Live it costs more money than if you buy it in a shop. Capcom are probably interested in getting all the money that way first then if they want to releasing a hard copy afterwards. Its more profitable.

Thats the only thing I can think of. The only other theory I have is that Capcom didn't think there was a high enough demand for a hard copy based on the sales of the DMC HD Collection.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
This is what confuses me. DMC4 sold 3 mil copies, why would Capcom not release it again as a physical hard copy when it sold so many copies the first time round?

It seems to me the motive is to be as cost effective as possible. Capcom gain the most by releasing this game digitally and avoiding the cost assocaited with printing hard copies. Now I think about it, every time a game is released digitally on PSN and Xbox Live it costs more money than if you buy it in a shop. Capcom are probably interested in getting all the money that way first then if they want to releasing a hard copy afterwards. Its more profitable.

Thats the only thing I can think of. The only other theory I have is that Capcom didn't think there was a high enough demand for a hard copy based on the sales of the DMC HD Collection.
Capcom is one of those companies that are a bit out of touch.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Resident Evil 4 is still the most popular RE game to date but when it came time for the HD release there was only physical prints for Japan. They've done this with a fare share of titles ranging in popularity and financial success so the one thing that has me scratching my head is why did DmC get one while DMC4 not. All I can think of is age.

Top Bottom