• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A Serious Comparison

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I see that this Vergil wants to be a leader/liberator/revolutionary for humans or something. The old Vergil was a consummate loner by the time of DMC3 who didn't need anybody's help besides the ability to translate provided by Arkham.

Maybe this is the fundamental problem I have with this new guy. Vergil used to be a character that did not seem to care a great deal for humans, was completely independent, and that's just the way I liked him. This new one will probably end up that way but his human-loving/leader stuff does not appeal to me.

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

I see that this Vergil wants to be a leader/liberator/revolutionary for humans or something. The old Vergil was a consummate loner by the time of DMC3 who didn't need anybody's help besides the ability to translate provided by Arkham.

Maybe this is the fundamental problem I have with this new guy. Vergil used to be a character that did not seem to care a great deal for humans, was completely independent, and that's just the way I liked him. This new one will probably end up that way but his human-loving/leader stuff does not appeal to me.
what about hes looks?? :)

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

Well from the beginning, I feel like Ninja Theory's handling of the reboot has been held with disrespect towards the old series and old fans. Talking about how outdated and silly the old Devil May Cry games are was a bad move, considering nobody really wanted a reboot in the first place, if you remember how things were back in 2010.

Now that Ninja Theory has waited almost two years since they first announced the game, it's like everyone forgot about what a departure this is from the series we all know and love. Which is probably exactly why they waited so long. So after all this time, finally "revealing," Vergil doesn't phase me. After trashing the original series so vehemently, it's surprising how much of the original series they've actually taken. Vergil looks nearly unchanged with the exception that he now wears suit pants and a peacoat. Besides whatever new story they made up for this new Vergil, he'll probably end up betraying Dante, because I'm not going to credit Ninja Theory with coming up with anything that hasn't already happened before in the previous games.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm unimpressed. I'm tired of Ninja Theory pretending like they're giving me what I want. Ninja Theory should already know what the fans want = Devil May Cry 5. So I humbly decline the new "reboot Vergil," and remain unimpressed with Ninja Theory's ability to copy off the original series, as much as they berate it for being "outdated."
i respect your thoughts bro...but this is not the place for that....im talking about hes looks and when we know more about hes personality then thats another thing....although with everything you said CAPCOM whats the change and if NT said something not nice capcom would have said something....i mean they are the one who made DMC in the first place :)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
what about hes looks?? :)

This guy is basically what DMC3 Vergil might have looked like in terms of his get-up... I'm glad they didn't go that way in that game though. It wouldn't have suited a guy setting out to make himself the next Sparda; in fact he looks like he went through Sparda's old wardrobe or something in DMC3 and tried on some stuff. This new guy looks at home in the human world, which wasn't where DMC3 Vergil was headed from the start. So sure, he looks okay for THIS game, if he is meant to be rich AND leading some underground humans movement. I don't suppose it's terrible or amazing. A bit ordinary, really. But then this supposed to be less fantastical and more relatable, yadda yadda yadda. The old O-katana had a much better look, IMO.

As for his face. I'd find you a nice picture to summarise my feelings on that, but you said to keep it clean. Ho ho. Dante's new mug with the black hair is bearable, but it just does not work with Vergil if you ask me. He looks worse. With that hair as well it seems like there are less features to his face - he appears blander than Dante does in almost every way. What's going on with his lower lip also? Is it the crap quality of the vids I've been seeing or does he have something on it?

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

This guy is basically what DMC3 Vergil might have looked like in terms of his get-up... I'm glad they didn't go that way in that game though. It wouldn't have suited a guy setting out to make himself the next Sparda; in fact he looks like he went through Sparda's old wardrobe or something in DMC3 and tried on some stuff. This new guy looks at home in the human world, which wasn't where DMC3 Vergil was headed from the start. So sure, he looks okay for THIS game, if he is meant to be rich AND leading some underground humans movement. I don't suppose it's terrible or amazing. A bit ordinary, really. But then this supposed to be less fantastical and more relatable, yadda yadda yadda. The old O-katana had a much better look, IMO.

As for his face. I'd find you a nice picture to summarise my feelings on that, but you said to keep it clean. Ho ho. Dante's new mug with the black hair is bearable, but it just does not work with Vergil if you ask me. He looks worse. With that hair as well it seems like there are less features to his face - he appears blander than Dante does in almost every way. What's going on with his lower lip also? Is it the crap quality of the vids I've been seeing or does he have something on it?
haha thank you for that ^_^....and your right about everything but this is a first look when he is polished and all ready he will look different :)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I say I preferred the old o-katana's look, and I do, because it would take some span to swing it, or even draw it using Iaido; but I appreciate a shorter one is practical for this character in this world. Sort of thing execs keep in their rooms - wouldn't actually look out of place in a businessman's office etc.

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

I say I preferred the old o-katana's look, and I do, because it would take some span to swing it, or even draw it using Iaido; but I appreciate a shorter one is practical for this character in this world. Sort of thing execs keep in their rooms - wouldn't actually look out of place in a businessman's office etc.
i honestly see them the same length....:/...care to shed some light on me :D:D

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry

i think his clothes are fine...a little silly but fine. an expensive coat with blue marking all over. sure the markings are odd but hey with the gameplay ive seen i'll gladly let them slide. old Vergil had a very victorian wardrobe, no one wears it ever. sure it worked for DMC3 but that was a different universe entirely with an animeish world. this is far more realistic and i approve it (mostly)

as for his face. i thought they did it brilliantly. he looks just like Dante, but there are differences. his skin is smoother, his face rounder. while dantes is rugged and thinner than Vergils. this is because of the different life styles. Dante lived his life fighting demons. so he ate less than his rich brother who got three or more well cooked meals a day. so his face is skinnier. Dante spent his life fighting to survive constant attacks from the human world and the demon world. not to mention all the torture. hence he is more rugged. Vergil learned to fight probably using his own natural talent, inteligence and maybe with a sensei or two to give him the basics. so he has a far better complexion.

these differences introduce a nature VS nurture theme that can be easily explored in the game. creating huge story telling potential.

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

i think his clothes are fine...a little silly but fine. an expensive coat with blue marking all over. sure the markings are odd but hey with the gameplay ive seen i'll gladly let them slide. old Vergil had a very victorian wardrobe, no one wears it ever. sure it worked for DMC3 but that was a different universe entirely with an animeish world. this is far more realistic and i approve it (mostly)

as for his face. i thought they did it brilliantly. he looks just like Dante, but there are differences. his skin is smoother, his face rounder. while dantes is rugged and thinner than Vergils. this is because of the different life styles. Dante lived his life fighting demons. so he ate less than his rich brother who got three or more well cooked meals a day. so his face is skinnier. Dante spent his life fighting to survive constant attacks from the human world and the demon world. not to mention all the torture. hence he is more rugged. Vergil learned to fight probably using his own natural talent, inteligence and maybe with a sensei or two to give him the basics. so he has a far better complexion.

these differences introduce a nature VS nurture theme that can be easily explored in the game. creating huge story telling potential.
thank you for that bro ^_^ gr8 points too :)

V

Oldschool DMC fan
i honestly see them the same length....:/...care to shed some light on me :D:D

All right then. The angle in the hi-res Vergil art there from DMC3 shows the o-katana receding into the background more sharply than the other sword's angle, and the similar length is a visual illusion. If he were to stand the way the other one is, it would look longer. Difficult to explain this without actually collecting pictures or doing a bunch of Photoshop comparisons to this one released image, but when Vergil in DMC3 stands with the sword in front of him against the ground in a cutscene where the tower rises, the sword reaches (including the tsuka/saya) to a height (if Vergil is roughly 6ft tall) of approximately - or just over - 4.5 ft long. That's massive. Believe me, having referenced it myself from the game art, the in-game sprite, the other games it appears in, it's so big it technically would scrape along the ground when he runs with the way he is holding it, and don't ask me how he manages to draw it, let alone sheath it behind his back in UMvC3. Magic.

From what I can see of the other Vergil's sword - and I appreciate it may change in future - it's not nearly as big. Probably because they figure with the added detail to the cutscenes that he wouldn't actually be able to draw it easily. My own katana measures 3.3 feet with the tsuka and I figure the new Vergil's is slightly longer than that given his height if it is the same. Probably 4 feet including the tsuka.

O-katanas are noticeably long as they were meant for a slightly different purpose than regular katana. I figure they won't want the new guy having an abnormally big sword in a normal world.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
victorian wardrobe

I'd say closer to 18thC, not Victorian. The reason being he wanted to copy Sparda's look, evidently, except Sparda's was more regal/ornamental; Vergil's - besides/under the three-tail longcoat is quite basic and functional toward combat. Obv., in the DmC 'modern world' if Sparda is gonna look modern, he's not going to be dressing that way, and there's not much chance Vergil would be either.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
I'd say closer to 18thC, not Victorian. The reason being he wanted to copy Sparda's look, evidently, except Sparda's was more regal/ornamental; Vergil's - besides/under the three-tail longcoat is quite basic and functional enough for combat. Obv in the modern world if Sparda is gonna look modern, he's not going to be dressing that way.

not that important to me to be honest. i like Vergil for his character and personality etc. not because he wore olde clothes. i get what youre trying to say about the sparda thing ans its a good point. but i dont think that influenced new Vergil tbh

KtWtWiS43

i respect your thoughts bro...but this is not the place for that....im talking about hes looks and when we know more about hes personality then thats another thing....although with everything you said CAPCOM whats the change and if NT said something not nice capcom would have said something....i mean they are the one who made DMC in the first place :)

Well respectfully, Hideki Kamiya was the one who created Dante and Devil May Cry. Not CAPCOM. I do agree though, CAPCOM is as responsible as Ninja Theory for giving the project to them. I'm mad at CAPCOM, but I'm more angry at NT for creating the actual changes as apposed to CAPCOM who left them off the chain. But as far as you thinking that Ninja Theory hasn't been dissing old fans and the old series ...

---“But, you know, what was cool 12 years ago – I think that was when the first game came out [It actually came out nine years ago for PS2 - JC] – isn’t cool any more.

---“If Dante, dressed as he was, walked into any bar outside of Tokyo, he’d get laughed out."

Tameem and his development team at NT obviously have no respect for the old series, or the people who like it. He didn't even know when the first game came out. And even after that, unprovoked, he started bashing Hideki Kamiya's latest game "Bayonetta," for no reason other than to arrogantly profess himself as greater than the genius who actually created the Devil May Cry series:

---“But in terms of, ‘Do I think it’s cool?’ No, not at all. I think it’s caricatured and over-the-top and very ‘Japanesey,’ and for that absurd style it does that really well, but that’s not what I want.”

I'm sorry I didn't want to start an argument, but when you say something like:

"CAPCOM wants the change and if NT said something not nice capcom would have said something....i mean they are the one who made DMC in the first place :)"

it just doesn't seem like you understand what I'm saying or why I'm angry. As far as my thoughts on the way the new Vergil looks compared to the old version, I think you have my answer.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
I don't see much point in comparing the Classic with the New at the moment, the Classic holds a lot more weight seeing as He has practically the entirety of DMC 3, some of DMC 1 and a little of DMC 4 to hold up him. The New one only has a 2 minute trailer, of which He only has 30 seconds or less in.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Here's how I see it.

From what I have been shown of new Vergil, it's tough to make a complete comparison but here goes;

In terms of personality, DmC Vergil is more a born leader who has darker plans that he hides behind this open hearted personality. DMC3 Vergil had no kindness at all and seemed to care nothing for humanity. Vergil in DMC3 is like the samurai of that time or in my case a Rurouni, a samurai with no destination. He is honorable to his own code, but that code leads him into nothing, nothing but dark power that he himself probably doesn't know how to control. DmC Vergil is more of a solider leader, being able to talk with his Cadettes while still being able to lead with an iron fist. I don't think people should judge this Vergil simply because of a two minute trailer, because he just might surprise us all.

Now for looks; both look almost alike. While DMC3 Vergil's hair is swept back thurally, DmC Vergil's hair is swept back in a different fashion. However, DmC Vergil's hair is kind of the result you'll get by sweeping your hair back to look professional, without people thinking you used cheap hair gel to get it like that. Clothes, both dress in the sense of wealth. DMC3 Vergil dresses like a prince, and DmC Vergil dresses like a wealthy officer. Both have that appearance of high class and both do have the stern expression of a man who wants nothing more then to see demons burn. You don't see this expression with DmC Vergil because half of the gamescom trailer, he was just happy to see his brother again. But in that E3 trailer, I could hear that malice and see that he really wanted to see demons burn. Katana wise, both seem to use the Iaido form of fighting that DMC3 Vergil was known for. I just hope that this Vergil has more moves to offer then just small attacks. I gotta say, I don't really like Vergil's Yamato in DmC because it looks so bland. This is a sword Sparda used so I just expected it to be a bit more oriented like Dante's Rebellion being more organic. But I can get use to it if Vergil shows me what he can do with it.

Final verdict;

297595_429199870455007_1652827021_n.jpg

This is Vergil, but just not much has been shown to be 100% sure. He definitely has looks and sword style down, but all he needs left is the malice of the old Vergil, which will probably show as the game goes on.

UniqueEquine

Is not waiting for GTA V.
Hey, why can't you consider the fact that there can be UNLOCKABLE COSTUMES?
If ya really hate the new designs then I suggest rushing the game on easy mode and then playing it with new costumes.

darkdeamon92/dmc3/

lexy thanks for that and i see your point...but oh well maybe its more realistic this way :) and DragonMaster2010 and KRSkull that for those sweet thoughts :D

and i was thinking do you guys think that when he triggers hes demon power.....he will have spike hair and hes coat will be all blue??lol

UniqueEquine

Is not waiting for GTA V.
lexy thanks for that and i see your point...but oh well maybe its more realistic this way :) and DragonMaster2010 and KRSkull that for those sweet thoughts :D

and i was thinking do you guys think that when he triggers hes demon power.....he will have spike hair and hes coat will be all blue??lol

I think his har will be black and the coat blue like ya said. :troll:

Top Bottom