• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

7 days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil-Sympathy

A lot of people on Gamespot are coming up with a lot of theories on why the image of 'Dante' looks like his morphing, and an explaination to the 'power..give me power!'

Well we still have a few days to find out what its all about :D

machindix

6 days to go...

It seems that Dante got his arm possessed... or perhaps his devil side's finally starting to take over? (the first sentence in Japanese says "From that day forth, a demon lives in my arm...")

That teaser kind of reminded me of a manga I read years ago... I don't know the Engilsh name, but it's about an elementary school teacher who has an oni (a Japanese demon) sealed in his left hand, and he uses it to fight and protect ordinary people from all sorts evil, supernatrual forces...

Toreador

Hunter of Darkness
maybe the devil in his arm is refering to his devilarms or his power. theres always a chance that his powers could be fadeing since hell was resealed or it might have something to do with trish giveing dante her powers at the end of DMC1

machindix

I read through a couple of forums on other websites, and there were all kinds wild speculations flying around...

1. Dante came by a demoic gauntlet, put it on, and got his arm possessed (sounds kind of dumb...)
2. Vergil possessed Dante's arm after he was defeated (absurd... but it makes me wonder what it's like to have a brother living in your arm...)
3. The narrator of the teaser is actually Vergil. The arm thing is an aftereffect of his Nelo Angelo form.
4. Dante's demonic powers have grown to a point that it's beginning to overwhelm his human consciouness, etc.

Guess we'll have to wait to know the truth...

Vergil_Sparda

dattebayo!
machindix;5029 said:
I read through a couple of forums on other websites, and there were all kinds wild speculations flying around...
4. Dante's demonic powers have grown to a point that it's beginning to overwhelm his human consciouness, etc.

I like that theory. My guess was that Vergil is possibly going to be a major boss in this game.

aoshi

actually the "the arm" here seems to be figurative and not literal.actually the quote was in japanese and the english version is not yet out.so some people who know japanese have translated it but are not very sure about it.i guess this will explain:
credits: DexterXS

Over at IGN this teaser site has been generating plenty of speculation and discussion, and I thought I would bring a few of the revelations to this thread.

I am sure many have noticed that the site is in fact, the japanese DMC4 website. The english featured is in only there for aesthetic purposes (i.e to look nice- Japan loves how are words look and sometimes use them for design purposes, the same way that we do over here with theirs) so it has been suggested, and is quite likely, that the english featured is an innacurate or lazy translation. This site was never intended for english speaking fans anymore than the other japanese versions of their websites are. As such, we decided to translate directly from the japanese provided ourselves, and check it was accurate. The mod at the DMC board (Kiera2) has a good grasp on the japanese language and has in the past been of a huge help by translating parts of the various (and unfortunately exclusive) japanese DMC merchandise, and one of the users there (Manberg) has a japanese roomate who translated for him.

Both report that directly from the japanese, it says this: (literal translation)

Ano hi kara: From that day
Ore no ude ni wa akuma ga yadotta: A demon resided in my arm. (see later for elaboration on the use of "arm" in japan)
atama no naka de koe ga hibiku: In my head a voice reverberates
Chikara ga: Power
Chikara ga hoshii: I want POWER!

But that isn't the important part. I mentioned earlier that I didn't beleive "arm" was an accurate translation... as possessed limbs are so lame. In japanese limbs etc can be representative of other traits, for example, head representative of intelligence, and "arm" is often symbolic of ability or talent or skill, rather than the literal limb, although, the words are the same. We do teh same here to an extent, "use your head" (we actually mean use your brain, your intelligence) Both translaters maintain that in the context, the use of arm is almost definitely figurative and symbolic, NOT literal. Meaning, that what he is actually saying is, From that day, the demonic was added to his talents or abilities, and "a demon" means a demonic power, "residing" in his ability and skills. Basically, he is saying from that day he gained demonic abilities/powers/talents. This way, the quote makes alot more sense, and is probably referring to something in his childhood, rather than a recent change. Oh, on that topic, "change" and "changing" is not mentioned anywhere in the original japanese.

Oh, and unlike in english where we have a fireARM or devil ARM, and also have ARMs on our bodies, in the japanese, the word for the limb "ARM" is not the same word for the weapons form of "ARM" i.e as this has been translated from japanese, the "arm" referred to is quite clearly the word for a limb. It can't be referring to a devil ARM as the word would be different. So the theory that the sentence referred to a devil arm or even firearm changing, is now not possible.

Finally, the sites countdown works off your computers clock, which is why different people in different timezones have the countdown at different times. Whatever is going to happen, happens on Friday. (PS: I haven't done it, but if you change your clock to Friday, and open the site, the countdown apparently goes berserk... this administration is not responsible for damage this may cause to people or equipment)

SO IF ANY ONE KNOW JAPANESE HERE WELL THEY COULD POSSIBLY GIVE US A GOOD EXPLAINATION.

Chrysander

Hey thanks for that explanation aoshi. I've been staring at that site like a moron for the last few minutes. I think that it doesn't look like Dante in the logo, and I do think that the blue is worth thinking about. I read on TekkenZaibatsu that you can't even pick Dante in DMC4... I asked them to tell me where they read that and they've not replied yet. I will be upset initially I think, if Dante is not playable at all. I think Capcom would be shooting themselves in the foot in doing that, especially after the success of DMC3's Dante who was a really vibrant character with potential still to be used in another game in my opinion.

Curse

Cursed Girl
2 days.... (crap i missed the 3rd -____- )

oh and btw i hawe a jap dictonary and i think wikipedia could help us 2
and i don't think that there are ppl here understanding jaspanese......well not that i know of...

meirelle

~from the dark~
machindix;5029 said:

2. Vergil possessed Dante's arm after he was defeated (absurd... but it makes me wonder what it's like to have a brother living in your arm...)

XDXD This theory reminds me of Metal Gear Solid. I'm sure this idea for DMC was brought forth as a joke... at least, I hope the person was joking. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom