• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Y'know what? I can't accept this.

Kaim Argonar

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm personally not tired of characters like Mario,Sonic, Link,Master Chief, and other iconic characters who have been around for a long time in their respective games.

Doubt I will be getting tired of Dante anytime soon since I hold him on the same level as the iconic characters I listed above.
Agreed. Dante isn't someone I'd be sick of anytime soon. Especially considering those protagonists you've listed have been around and have gotten refaced for 20+ years. He (Dante) makes the series imo. Never to be forgotten and never to be replaced. I like Nero and he can have his place here too of course but at the end of the day, I think he still falls under supporting cast like Lady, Lucia, Trish etc.

As for the DMC continuity, I think DMC5 should indeed be the last. Some spin off games and cameo's would be nice but this series hasn't seen it's end and heaven forbid it overstays its welcome.

Caiden

He'd be dead. He's supposed to be anyway.

DMC 3 f#cked all that up and forever screwed up continuity.

Vergil was an adult in DMC1. Despite what Trish says in the opening, it is implied that Vergil was possessed by Mundus long after his mother was killed.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Vergil was an adult in DMC1. Despite what Trish says in the opening, it is implied that Vergil was possessed by Mundus long after his mother was killed.
Where and when? We get told Dante lost both his brother and mother 20 years ago. After defeating Nelo Angelo and he notices the amulet, you hear a flashback of what sounds like Dante and Vergil as children that implies he knows it was his brother and hasn't seen him since they were kids.

The only thing we can assume is that Vergil also aged under whatever mind control he was put under. Who knows what Mundus could have had him doing.

According to DMC 1, 3 never happens. There's just no denying this series has an unorganized and f#cked up canon riddles with plot holes and continuity issues.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think DMC1's main point about that was that he had thought Vergil was killed along with Eva, and that something had happened otherwise that allowed Vergil to live for quite awhile before...whatever happened that got him leashed by Mundus.

The DMC3 manga shows off that I think Vergil was nearly killed along with Eva, but managed to survive because he tapped into his demonic side, but was then haunted from a young age about the things he saw during his "death". From there I guess it must have changed Vergil into what he was, realizing that since his demon side saved his life, it was all he needed. So he cast off his humanity and became the cold-hearted c0cksucker he is when we see him in DMC3.

The problem is I don't necessarily see him having any grand adventures that a good story could be made out of, because invariably Dante would have shown up, being the champion of humanity that he is - no portal to Hell opens up without him being there :tongue: The only point it'd be okay is for whatever happened during that year Dante and Vergil had last met. A story marking that occasion would be the only thing worth doing, methinks, but even that I think was them trying to link the DMC1 novel in with DMC3, so that year they last met would have been the Gilver incident.

The problem is that with the inclusion of DMC3, it caused an odd gap in logic, because Dante wouldn't immediately just think back to the time he and Vergil got the amulets for their birthday. Well...maybe...I dunno. Really considering everything, it can sorta work, because the idea is that he finds the other amulet, which is something only Vergil could have (technically anyway, the thing could have passed through many hands through sales, robberies, and deaths). So to find the amulet and think "this was Vergil's; I know so because we were given these" it's supposed to create a link.

Dante's reaction to it, however would have changed a bit, methinks.

That's why I'm still a bit of a stickler for the Dual Canon theory - the Kamiya Canon (DMC1 novel, DMC1), and the Itsuno Canon (DMC1-4, DMC2 novel, DMC3 manga), because DMC1 makes TOTAL sense if we include the DMC1 novel with it, while DMC1 also makes sense if we ignore the novel and follow DMC3 and the manga @_@ Fun fun fun fun fun yeah~

But yes, rather unorganized as f#ck.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Perhaps they could make us go through Vergil's life up until where he's on Mundus's door step.
And Vergil could be the narrator.

Like first show how he split up with Dante, then show when he's in his late teens, and let us play as him from there.
And have two bosses, one Mundus and one a boss from his past.
What i mean is that in the moment Vergil sees Mundus he reflects on his life for 30 seconds, and we could use his reflection to make more of the story.
Bu a dlc would be nice too, i just hope they do it right.

That reminds me of this one Supernatural episode where Castiel narrates all that's happen to him during the events of I think season 3 to season 6 or 7.

Maybe instead, we could have Vergil still falling deep into hell after the fight with Dante in DMC3. As he's falling, he closes his eyes and has a mental reflection with his father, remembering all that's happened to him from their mother's death, to Vergil finally landing in the area where he fights Mundus.

Agreed. Dante isn't someone I'd be sick of anytime soon. Especially considering those protagonists you've listed have been around and have gotten refaced for 20+ years. He (Dante) makes the series imo.

It's not so much as Dante I'm sick of, but rather what he's become and the choices Capcom have made in the past for him.

From a badass (DMC1)
To a serious buzzkill (DMC2)
A fratboy loudmouth (DMC3)
An insane douchebag (DMC4)
And finally a rebelious punk youth (DmC)

I'm sick of there always being some hug alteration to him with every new game that comes out.

IncarnatedDemon

That reminds me of this one Supernatural episode where Castiel narrates all that's happen to him during the events of I think season 3 to season 6 or 7.

Maybe instead, we could have Vergil still falling deep into hell after the fight with Dante in DMC3. As he's falling, he closes his eyes and has a mental reflection with his father, remembering all that's happened to him from their mother's death, to Vergil finally landing in the area where he fights Mundus.
Sounds good to me. The reflection can show us Vergil as a kid , and as late teen.

Then after the reflection he may realize that he took a wrong path, and redeems himself by attacking Mundus. And after that fight we see Mundus destroying Vergil.
Perhaps they could also add in a scene (extra) where Dante defeats Nelo Angelo in dmc1, and Vergil's soul is released, and a spirit appears (covered in light) and reaches out it's hand to Vergil.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium

That'd be awesome. Kind of a "life flashing before his eyes" thing, but it definitely has some merit.

Kaim Argonar

It's not so much as Dante I'm sick of, but rather what he's become and the choices Capcom have made in the past for him.

From a badass (DMC1)
To a serious buzzkill (DMC2)
A fratboy loudmouth (DMC3)
An insane douchebag (DMC4)
And finally a rebelious punk youth (DmC)

I'm sick of there always being some hug alteration to him with every new game that comes out.
Well in societal terms that would be character development. DMC3 Dante was a teen. DMC1 Dante was a young adult. DMC4 was.... more of a comedian. DMC2 Dante was a level headed middle aged man. I do hope they find some middle ground if they make a next installment though. DmC Dante gets a pass since he's a totally new character of course. I kind of don't mind the flip flopping. Though annoying at times add a little spice to our decision making.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Nothing very precise but, it was stated in that A Devinde Comedy book that he was already brought in early in develpement.
Sorry to butt in like that (>.<); Carry on guys.

So in short, it was only during the planning stages (before they actually started working on the game, itself) when they originally planned to leave him out of it. Thanks for the info. ^_^

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
That's why I'm still a bit of a stickler for the Dual Canon theory - the Kamiya Canon (DMC1 novel, DMC1), and the Itsuno Canon (DMC1-4, DMC2 novel, DMC3 manga), because DMC1 makes TOTAL sense if we include the DMC1 novel with it, while DMC1 also makes sense if we ignore the novel and follow DMC3 and the manga

I actually use this all the time.

Kamiya told me the reason Dante recalled his childhood events over any other was because it was the most important memory.

Top Bottom