• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@Shadow Hmm...to be honest, I don't think I've ever read a story like that, before. O_O I guess it would depend on the nature of their correspondence, what references might be made to their adventures/relationship/what-have-you.

I'd be willing to read something like that, just to see what it's like. ^^

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Are you talking specifically of epistolary, where the story is told through correspondence? Or that the main characters go about their lives and interact with other characters, but only interact with each other through messages?

The second one. The characters have their own independent lives and interact with other characters, but their only interaction with each other is through correspondence. =)

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
So, quick poll, how do you guys feel about fics where the only interaction between the main couple is through letters/emails/texts/etc? Do you think it could be interesting or would it be trite? What do you think?
Don't think I've ever read one like 45fghgyr65e4fyu wait I have. It was very cleverly and well done, too. I reckon as long as it keeps the plot moving and doesn't get all Twilight-esque (with insignificant, mundane and drawn out details irrelevant to the story) then it would be good. I'd say go for it. You won't know what works and what doesn't until you put it down on paper.

+Current rant:
Well, geeze, my muses are fashionably late. Urg. April was over 4 days ago!

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Two chapters and the epilogue to edit, then I can relax obsess over jotting down notes for Forneus' Origin Story timeline events, outline The Mythos Trials, and probably focus on everything pen-to-paper related for the next month. :tongue:

No, but seriously. After WoN's revisions are done, I will take a few days off entirely from writing. After that, notes/outlines will be relaxing in comparison. I probably won't start on TMT until sometime in the summer. ^^; Y'know...if I have any self-control whatsoever...

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Got lectured on getting published again.
I know they mean well, I do.
But you can't argue your point if you don't understand how publishing works (or writing, for that matter).
I'm fairly clued up about how it works. You can't preach to the preacher.
You know three people who have gotten published? (Me, too! Shall I list down all the authors I've got on my bookshelf?) Great. I don't really want to go the self-publishing route, which sets me apart from the people you know. They published their books and have it available on Amazon and to download. E-books. (Might be the future, might not, personally I LOVE reading by candle-light, the smell of print on paper and the satisfaction of turning the page over using my lit Kindle. So if I publish, I want it in physical form, not electronic. )That's great, good on them, I'm published too, would you like to see all my work in electronic format all over the writing sites? No, I don't get paid for those, but money is not my motivator.
Plus, the third person being my second cousin actually isn't published, they just had her manuscript printed by a professional print press. Not the same thing.

I don't want to talk numbers. I don't want to change anything about my work to make it more marketable. Yes, of course I'd love the extra $$$, but I can get more money faster by doing a babysitting gig than waiting on royalties. You'll give me $1k to get published? I'd rather go on friggin holiday with that cash, thanks. I don't pay anyone to publish me. They pay me.

Also.
I don't like strangers.
I don't like talking to strangers.
I will also be putting my foot in my mouth when interviewed about my work. I'm notorious for NOT giving well-thought out answers on the spot. I'll pass.

Unless I can do what the Gorillaz done and have a cartoon or digitized chibi me medium to show face, it's not going to happen.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
So...I started this short as a way to work on my feels for this pairing and kinda put all my headcanons in one place and possibly end it on a hopeful note. Unfortunately, my muses were like:

tumblr_nooerpFicK1utg1ylo1_500_zpshu6aie6s.gif

tumblr_nooerpFicK1utg1ylo2_500_zpsy4gtnqha.gif

=( Come back...please.... I...I am an instrument of suffering and pain and I should not be allow to write anything...ever.... :'( Please forgive me, guys, please....

Everything so far has been tears and anger and frustration and loneliness and emptiness. I'm horrible. :'(

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
It's late in coming, but I have the general outline more or less done. The scene outlines should be easier to do, now. ^^ And extra bonus, aside from the fact that I'll likely void two of the scenes (from a character POV that 1) Hasn't been done before and 2) could just as easily be explained to the main three later on when said character and crew reunite with them--the scenes would have been pretty bland, otherwise), most everything else should be easy to work with.

It still feels like it's taking awhile to get to the main challenge (and where the third novel gets its name) but the transition is necessary. As long as I don't drag the scene details out unnecessarily, it should be fine.

+Well, premature or not, I sent out my first-ever query letter last night (for an agent). Even if WoN could still use a bit more polishing, I've been feeling the itch to put it out there. Don't get me wrong--success or failure, I'm scared. But, I also really want this to work, and for that to happen, I gotta take the leap. Excuse me while I agonize for the next 4-6 weeks...:nailbiting:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
CR:
I'm doing a short course on Writing for Fiction.
And the rules.
All I can do is (-_- )ノ⌒┫ ┻ ┣
Screw the rules.

Ooh... I feel ya, there. Sometimes they get so caught up with the "rules" that it tends to dampen the creative process.

CTR: I hope I can keep this flow going. If I can, TMT's outlines should be done pretty soon. Then I can move onto the companion prequel (Shattered Time), since one of its characters has featured in both FotS and TMT. That, and ST will serve as a sort of bridge between the origin stories and the WoN Trilogy.

+For the umpteenth time, I find myself asking: "What have I gotten myself into?" Still, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
For the umpteenth time I'm revising Chapter 1. This is +-7 years after first writing the whole thing.
It's like paradise getting sucked back into that world but at the same time it's hell because once you start revising and editing a manuscript this big, it turns into a game of Jenga. You cut there, you edit there, and you've got to be careful not to pull or knock out the wrong subplot/character/whatever it may be or the whole thing turns into a pile of nonsensical words.
That you kick it all over the floor.
Because you're infuriated that you edited out that very integral part and you weren't even high on coffee or wasted on brandy/wine/whisky when you did it and you've got nothing to blame but yourself.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Not a rant, but does anyone have an AO3 account? Or know someone with one? I've been given the suggestion to get one, but I'm a little wary. Any feedback on what it's like would be welcome. ^^ -doesn't want to put her fics somewhere where people will be jerks-

--

Writing rant:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! -tugs hair out-

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Not a rant, but does anyone have an AO3 account? Or know someone with one? I've been given the suggestion to get one, but I'm a little wary. Any feedback on what it's like would be welcome. ^^ -doesn't want to put her fics somewhere where people will be jerks-
I do. I got recruited eons ago to join when AO was still in its infancy. I know a handful of other writers who joined were decent to brilliant writers who got fed up with all the snarky and illiterate reviews and the constant pile of slush getting shovelled into ffn. So my guess would be that there are no regrets for joining AO. Or AO3, I think it's the same thing just the third time it's being re'done', I guess. I don't remember publishing or posting there, although I might have, and my preferred go-to forums and sites dwindled from everything down to FFN and this place we find ourselves in here. As I said, they were still developing the site and working out all the kinks, so I don't recall ever being active on there.

+ Current rant: So I got two hours to write and work on my fic, and what happens instead? I happen to note the ad to the article/site that had me curious a couple of days ago so I click it thinking, this won't take long, just a few minutes of indulging in the luxury of 'walkthroughs' of millionaire mansions around the world. Usually this would entail me getting bored and disinterested by the third property (short attention span really) but I only got halfway through one when the photo of their backyard Jacuzzi reminded me of a dream I had not too long ago.
So.
In short, I sat two hours typing up what I can remember from my dream. Instead of revising.
Now I think I'm too bloody tired to revise anyway.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Don't you hate it when someone writes a really good Fic but they take bloody forever to update?

Yeah! That's...uh...haha.... -sweats profusely--shifty--nervous giggling- Yeah, that's...that's horrible... I...uh...I never do that.... -covers up last known update dates- I'm so sorry, readers....

Rant:
Muses, if you'd kindly stop changing what you want me to work on right as I make a connection with the character, that'd be great....

Top Bottom