• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Is it...egotistical for a writer to ask for donations? Cuz...people keep saying no, but I'm extremely worried that saying "yes, my 3am-wasn't-even-trying-so-I-refused-to-even-edit-this writing is worth your hard-earned money" is just...big headed. Like...I don't see why people would want to donate...even though they're under no obligations and I don't want them to feel forced to donate...I just...don't get it....

On a vaguely related note, posting WIPs on Tumblr, if anyone wants to read them or just stop by and chat: Linky =)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I've been trying to get back into writing by completing this short story I tried doing before called "Time Traveling Intern".

I do have a question tho, what does it mean when people say a story feels like a "fanfic"?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I've been trying to get back into writing by completing this short story I tried doing before called "Time Traveling Intern".

I do have a question tho, what does it mean when people say a story feels like a "fanfic"?

Good luck with your writing! ^^

Generally, it means the story feels like it's based on something else or written in another fic/game/movie/etc. world. Doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing (a lot of OCs get mistaken for fandom characters, after all) but...usually isn't really meant as a compliment. :S Depends on the context, though. -couldn't say for certain without seeing the comment in question-

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Is it...egotistical for a writer to ask for donations? Cuz...people keep saying no, but I'm extremely worried that saying "yes, my 3am-wasn't-even-trying-so-I-refused-to-even-edit-this writing is worth your hard-earned money" is just...big headed. Like...I don't see why people would want to donate...even though they're under no obligations and I don't want them to feel forced to donate...I just...don't get it....

On a vaguely related note, posting WIPs on Tumblr, if anyone wants to read them or just stop by and chat: Linky =)
Hang on. Where is this donation thing happening?

+ I got three reviews for IHEAY. I'm too scared to read them though.
latest

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
@Dante's Stalker Through a site called ko-fi. Sign up with the same email address you use for Paypal and it automatically links to your account so people can send you donations. I think they're $3 at a time. You also get a little button (not so little, actually; that huge green "buy me a coffee?" button on my blog is the button) you can use on blogs, post on Twitter/FB/whatever site you use so people can just click and go to the page. I just...don't really feel comfortable asking people to donate (a friend told me the page I put up when he clicked on the button was the most "please don't donate unless you can afford it or I'll feel really bad about it" thing he'd ever read...I am pleased...) so it's just...there....

Aww, I'm sure the reviews aren't bad. -huglz-

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I need to find a way to convince myself that slowing down isn't the same as stopping altogether. This is what coming off a writing high feels like; anxiety wrapped in a layer of overtiredness and crippling self-doubt, with a side order of muse-soaked dreams that can't be remembered upon waking (but in which you just know they imparted something valuable to help you forge ahead).

+Oh gods, please don't do this to me, Phe. I should be focusing on TMT. Why? Why must you demand my attention now? O_O

Phenex: C'mon, you know you want to play with the badassery of my earlier years, so why fight it?

*Snorts* Badassery notwithstanding, Gwen deserves her closure, don't you think? She deserves to have her story seen through to the end. After all this time, can you really keep that from her, knowing how close we are to that finish line ?

Phenex: *Sighs* Resorted to guilting a figment of your imagination now, have you? Alright, alright. We'll do it your way...but we both know where your head's at.

...Sometimes I'm amazed I get anything done.

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
Gods, I been having the urge to write since last night. >.> Sheesh. My muse is being a pain in the behind and she is just getting worse. >.< Let me finish this first before moving on. @_@ And brain stop being overly critical! I'll never know if what I write is good or bad if I don't finish it first! :p

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I know the feeling all too well.

I tend to create so many stories because I get a lot of ideas at once, but then lose all of the focus to even see one of them through.
That's a sign of a real writer.
Approved-stamp1.jpg

I always thought that people who are published authors who say 'just sit your bum down and write it finished' were fake writers. I mean really fake. I mean getting published doesn't automatically make you the guru of all, you know? Like SCREW YOU STEPHEN KING, I can't even read any of his books. Not even one. Not even his fantasies. Don't get me wrong, the guy has some real killer horror classics but his actual writing.....yeah nah not my cuppa. *shields from global pitchfork attacks*

Wait. I'm going off topic. I came here to rant about HOW it's possible that I never knew a few of my fanfics were added to communities?! I mean I know of the one Meg and I did eons ago but we're kinda friends so it's different. I mean, I'd expected a handful would crop up in communities that bash writers, concepts and writing style but FSC was in a pile along with the writerly BOSSES of the DMC fandom like ShyAnon and EricDraven and NightCompanion and I'm just so incredibly blown away and humbled by this fact right now that I want to cry.
Even if it did happen all of 7 years ago.
I mean
i-m-sorry-oh-man-o.gif

+

No it's not egotistical. Coffee is the fuel for the machine. People want writers to work faster and harder, they gotta at least give us some coffee ;)

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@Dante's Stalker I hear ya. I mean, I get the "being disciplined" part--since a story isn't going to write itself--but I hate how so many of them give "one size fits all" advice. No two writers are the same; everyone has to work in their own way, at the their own time and at their own pace. I mean, sh*t, it's not like we come off the bloody assembly line. Our lives are as different as the people living them. As far as I'm concerned, publication is merely happenstance; it doesn't make them better than their non-published peers.

Also--that's awesome! ^^ Hey, I put you right up there with EricDraven and NightCompanion; I think I came across all three of your works around the same time, come to think of it. Don't sell yourself short--you're an awesome writer.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Tellwell, why are you tormenting me with the idea that I might actually be able to do this? Because financially, I can't. :'( Believe you me, I'd love to go with you guys--you're the best of both worlds, self-pub and trad--but without the cash (and even on a payment plan) it's just...not in the cards. Even the suggestion of trying something like Kickstarter seems laughable; the people who would want to help me are as financially drained as I am.

Gods, this is killing me. The fact that the consultant who keeps contacting me just happens to be named Daemon makes it all the more agonizing. I'm not a big believer in kismet, but that just seems, I dunno...like a good omen, y'know? He even joked about it a few month's back, since Forneus is a "daemon", too.

If failure doesn't kill me, then the completely irrational hope will.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Sometimes it frustrates me how solitary writers can be. This is the second time in the last few months I've seen a writer bullied off a site and no one came to her defense. Not a single person. Oh, certainly, people went and comforted her. But no one actually stepped up and said "that's enough" to the bullies. What makes it worse is the fact that this all started when some people claimed that she was "intruding on another writer's genre". Because, apparently, the only person allowed to write for a genre is the very first person who writes anything for it. :/ What makes me sick: the person whose fans were complaining didn't do a single thing. No "guys, you need to stop". No acknowledging it. Nothing. I mean...a riot is happening under your nose regarding your writing and you're just letting this chick get trashed? What the hell kind of writer are you? No, scratch that, what the hell kind of person are you to just sit back and let it happen?

Writers, please, I beseech you: if you see a fellow writer getting bullied or picked on for no reason, please, please, please say something. Tell the bullies to stop. Offer support for your fellow writers. Don't just stand by and let this continue to happen. Writers have problems enough without us not helping each other.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@Shadow What site was this? And agreed, that is pretty crummy--both the people ganging up on the other writer, and those who did nothing to stop them. I really don't get where people get off thinking that only they can do something, that if anyone else does it, "they must be copying". Because as we all know, everything we write has "never been done before". :facepalm:

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
@Shadow
Wow that is messed up. >;( It reminds me when someone bullied me because my work wasn't "good". All though I had a few people defend me on my behalf. smh Just makes me said that people like that exist.
~-~

*flips table* Jeez! Writer's block!? D: I want to write!!!!!! @_@ Well, I might just write the prompt my friends gave me. Might even give me a laugh or two.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
In relation to someone bitching about violence against female characters in one of the stories I've been reading on Wattpad:

Well, aren't you a special snowflake. Have you actually been paying attention to the plot at all, or are you just focusing on the things you don't like? Look, I get it--the plot and character motivations aren't always clear, but to accuse the author of gratuitous violence against females only is just B.S. Seriously, most of the characters getting the worst of the physical violence have been men; in passing and in detail--and at the end of the chapter, no less! Dude gets brained, and you're saying women have been suffering the worst of the violence? The only female character getting a ton of crap is--you guessed it!--the MC! Gee, I cannot fathom why that might be. Because we're seeing things from her perspective more than any other character, perhaps? Maybe because she is the goddamn focal point of the story, and thus, the character that stands to lose or gain the most from its goings-on?

Nothing, nothing worse than a butthurt reader who says, "...and I don't like it". Seriously, if that's going to be the basis for your argument against heavier **** occurring in the storyline, then gtfo; no one wants to see your whiney commentary anyway, princess. Or are you actually labouring under the delusion that your opinion is the driving force behind the story?

Ugh...just. Stupid people. I get so much grumpier when it's someone else's story, for some reason. Like I feel I have to defend it, even if it isn't among my favourites.

Top Bottom