• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Know what's really irksome? When a sort of online, writerly acquaintance, while in the midst of pointing out any typos they find in your work, also goes out of their way to tell you the difference between the typo'd word, and the one you meant to use--because clearly, every typo you make is a reflection that you don't know the grammatical difference. Oh, no, it couldn't possibly be that I do in fact know the difference, and I just so happened to be tired/distracted/what-have-you when I made said typographical error. >.>

If she does it again (same person who tried telling me "coy" only means shy, when it in fact can and does work in terms of "evasive", too--yes, I'm holding a grudge. Every time I see a glimmer of hope with her, she turns around and ****es me off again), I'm going to be less than courteous in pointing out that she's not the only one with a grasp for the English language. >.>

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
working well on fanfic i call Adventures in Other dimension ( an standalone fanfic what im setting in alternate universe of Deus Ex games or rather alternate time before DEMD) and its getting me sometimes writers locks and for fun i wrote 4 chapters of this and not translated as it is in mine hometown, propably on Sept, i do translation and publish it on time to give also new chaps.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
All of my Original stories are the same trope/genre over and over again. A hero of some kind (male or female) gets some kind of giant something (robot, monster, etc) and fights a evil that has lost something. I like the genre. I really do.
But I know I over do the theme and I'm type casting myself. I could write something that has nothing to do with that trope, but then I get a inching to throw a giant something in it. I think "Bill Dozer X" was my most "Original," original short story ever. Yet that is plagued by the same tropes I just spoke of!
I kind of hate myself right now.

(Critic: "Your such a drama queen."
Me: "Your mom's a queen!"
Critic: "What?"
Me: "Exactly!" :bored: )

Last edited:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Next to summaries, titles are the other bane of writerly existence. >.<

I've adapted Japan's style of title making. Just put something together using the chapter as a resource.

These are literally (Japanese) episode titles from Dragon Ball (Non-Z)

"Goku steps up! The Devil's Toilet."

"Certain Death from the Akumaito Beam?!"

"Once Again, Shen Long."

Truly compelling titles here from the Japanese. :laugh:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
So, I was stumbling around Tumblr to check on some writers I follow, and found this graph being shown around:
tumblr_o7s7rxBWSl1uspy3xo1_1280_zps8jhmflgg.jpg

And...I dunno, something about it doesn't sit well with me. It's like people want everything to fit 100% into a box they set up. First off, if you want a fic to perfectly match up with your headcanons, write the dang story yourself. No fic is ever going to perfectly match up with your views unless you write it yourself. But...it also kinda goes beyond that. Just because a plot is overused doesn't make the fic bad. Just because the grammar isn't spot on and you don't agree with the author's choices doesn't mean it can't be entertaining. (That's the point of crack fic, right?)

But, what really annoys me, is the whole "abandoned or updates every three months" complaint. Writers have lives, too. Writers have lives that sometimes mean they go days without writing because of work or school or taking care of themselves or just because they don't feel like writing. You want good, high-quality fic? Then sit down, shut up, and be prepared to wait for it. Most published authors take about a year between when each book in a series is published...and usually they're working on multiple books at the same time. Or writing the sequel while editing the first. This stuff takes time. Even if I could write 3k in two hours (like I used to...gods I miss those days...so young...so dumb...so terrible at writing a decent plot...), it would still take me...approximately 30 hours to write a semi-decent length fic. If we look at my novel-length fics, they're even longer than that, so...probably between 40 and 60 hours. A full work week, basically. Given I'm more likely to write 500 to 1k words in two hours...it takes far longer. There are people on both end of the spectrum: those lucky to get 500 words in per a day, and those who consistently write 3k and call it a day. Either way, it takes time for a chapter to get written. (Be happy you don't have to wait 12 years or something like it takes for some novels to be released.) Which brings me to a second point: fic writers are under no obligation to post. We're not being paid. We've signed no contract. If our interests have changed and we decide we don't care to finish the fic at this time, we don't have to. (I mean, if you really want me to finish that fic, you can always pay me a full royalty sum, but...I bet you don't want it that badly. :unsure:)

That said, a fic not being finished isn't purely one side's fault. In my experience, it tends to fall into (or sometimes in between) one of two categories: the author's choice (for reasons stated above) or the readers didn't show enough interest. There's nothing more disheartening than realizing only three people are reading your fic and like it enough to comment on it. I know some people prefer favs/follows/kudos/reblogs/etc, but I can't continue a fic if it's not being reviewed. If people are reading and not commenting, I end up convincing myself that the fic is terrible and people just don't want to admit it...even if they've been faving/following it. Support encourages the author to keep going; it's the reader's job to offer that if they like the fic. When that supporter turns around, however, and starts bashing the writer for not updating every other day...that kills motivation. (Speaking of killing, wtf is up with people giving fic writers death threats for not finishing a fic? Is it a really bad joke? Because it's not funny.)

Anyway, TL;DR: please stop being a jerk to writers for having a life and thoughts that differ from your own. We are very tired and need a nap and a hug. Screaming scares us. Remember you wouldn't like it if we did the same to you. Waiting usually leads to better stories. We really like if you come talk to us. Thank you.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
@Shadow This is the part where I say; "OmG thank you!" You hit the nail on the head so perfectly, that my pants exploded. Seriously thou, your post actually made me feel better. I like writing my wacky one off original stories but when no one comments...
Man that bums me out. It hurts actually. Anyway, thank you Shadow. Here is your hug, and cookie. (Always make room for a cookie)

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
*has written 70,000+ words so far* *looks up the average length for a novel*

60,000-80,000

*is only about halfway done* o_O

:banghead:

:dead:

Wait, that's the average for a novel? That's barely anything.... =( No wonder all the books seem so short lately....

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
So I've got about 6k done on my 0.2 novel for camp. And that's just including the chapter titles and outlines and the 1st draft half chapter I wrote last camp. WHY IS WRITING ORIGINAL SO FRIGGIN HARD?!?
If I get a plot bunny, I chase it for a day or two before it leaps into a hole which leaves me with an unfinished manuscript. I move on to the next, and the next. Then when I try to put my ideas into a coherent ... thing.... that people will understand, I find I have to do outlines for every chapter, sometimes even for scenes that are essential to plot/character development. Which leaves me with WIP for the next 2-5 years because I sit and stare and think 90% of the time and write maybe a sentence, or a paragraph, or if I'm REALLY lucky, a page in a week.

Then there are those other times. When I get that urge, that inexplicable lure to revisit old friends and familiar settings. Where I sit my buttocks down, open a blank page and immerse into a new chapter with them, and resurface hours later with over 10k written, no sweat. And sometimes I take a breather for a few minutes (to cook and eat and feed people, to go on a toilet break, to make another cup of coffee) and get straight back into it without even trying. A writing mania, I 'spose you could say. I could go for weeks doing that. But this is only in an established world, with characters that I know well and have spent hours writing in the past.

Basically, I've thrown my coffee stained towel at my camp novel. I'd spit at it too if I didn't believe the story would be worth the effort but.... you know.
I've still got to revise My Palimpsest. It's a big job but so worth it. I've revised the first chapter more than a handful of times now, and am in my last draft for it. Which is TORMENT because I've decided not to replace the chapters online until I've revised the entire manuscript, so it can read as one coherent, consistent story and not the clusterf it is right now.

I hated it before, it really was one of my worst (it was meant to be a hot poker on all the flawed copies of copies out there), and I still believe all the praise it received was a joke. But with the revising, I'm growing to like it more and more. Maybe I can finally live up to my standard of 'this is how it should be done'?
Or maybe not. Either way, I'll take it offline at some point.

[end=rant/]

Know what's really irksome? When a sort of online, writerly acquaintance, while in the midst of pointing out any typos they find in your work, also goes out of their way to tell you the difference between the typo'd word, and the one you meant to use--because clearly, every typo you make is a reflection that you don't know the grammatical difference. Oh, no, it couldn't possibly be that I do in fact know the difference, and I just so happened to be tired/distracted/what-have-you when I made said typographical error. >.>

If she does it again (same person who tried telling me "coy" only means shy, when it in fact can and does work in terms of "evasive", too--yes, I'm holding a grudge. Every time I see a glimmer of hope with her, she turns around and ****es me off again), I'm going to be less than courteous in pointing out that she's not the only one with a grasp for the English language. >.>
Please please please, if this was me please tell me, I don't remember, I can't remember, but if it was me I'm so so sorry. :'(

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
@Dante's Stalker Have you considered writing it out like a fanfic and then changing stuff during editing? I know a lot of people complain about it, but if it'll help you get your story down, then why not? Maybe approach it with the air of doing an AU? Just a thought....
I could try that, actually. Thanks for the suggestion! :D Although I doubt I can make my 50k in a week unless I forego meals XDD But at least it will get done, right? Something to edit/revise for Nano.
I'm debating whether I upload my artwork, though. Funny that's the only thing I got done. Nanowrimo should host a global thing for graphic novels, like Nagranomo. (That sounds like some kind of disease, maybe that's why they haven't done it lol)

Ps. Nobody use my madeup word, m'kay? I'm calling copyright on it XD I can coin it as something in this novel of mine, I'm sure.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@Dante's Stalker Lol, don't worry; it definitely wasn't you. :laugh: I did have a talk with the person in question shortly after posting that, though, and we've cleared things up. ^^

I hope you have an easier time working with your original material, as well. Which story is it? Is it Derenvere, or one I haven't read before? :eek:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Sorry for the double post! ^^;

So, Inkitt's got yet another publishing contest going; just started today, and it's being handled differently from past contests.

You can check out the terms here: https://www.inkitt.com/storypeak?ref=v_4fcb5851-cbb7-4929-b958-6a37aa2b9365&sort=latest

Naturally, no pressure for reads from anyone here on the forums, but if you guys are interested in reading Whispers of Nowhere (or have in the past and liked it), I'd be much obliged if you'd give it some love: https://www.inkitt.com/stories/fantasy/14245?ref=a_4fcb5851-cbb7-4929-b958-6a37aa2b9365

And of course, if anyone here has a finished manuscript, I encourage you to enter it in the contest, and don't be shy about asking for a "read-for-read" from me. I'd be happy to check out some more works. ^^

Top Bottom