• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So what do you guys think about this Vergil?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Someone on twitter asked Dom- the communications manager for Ninja Theory, when did Vergil start giving a rats ass about humanity. His response was a cheeky "I don't know. When did he?"

Glean from that what you will.

Does the communications manager have something to do with making the story? Seriously though, does he?:/

Razyel

Soul Reaver
CBA? I don't know what that means. Hopefully, it means that you agree with me on some some level, at least.

What I didn't like though, was that Gwen was a scientist. Really? Both hot, and a genius? Yes, hot scientists exist, but I don't see how she was smarter than Peter. (although, I don't know if she was, I didn't see the movie) But in the original comics (not the Ultimate version) she was just a normal girl. I don't see why they had to make her a scientist.
Plot device Azurel, plot device :D
I like the shooters over organic web, makes Spidey more vulnerable.
You should go see it, it's worth it.

And less Vergil more Spidey, wait what?! :O

Devil Player

Given the fact that the game is a reboot, there is no need to compare both Vergil versions...

I thought it would be worse, much worse. I guess this one is ok, though he would be a better Dante than the one we have in the reboot...

DarkSlayer54

Sorry for the bump, but I didn't want to create a new thread for a similar discussion on Vergil.
I'm really disappointed by this new Vergil's look. Like, yeah... it's suppose to be a westernization of DMC... but really? The characters should still have similar personalities. Vergil should still be honorable, calm-minded, and objective (to some extent). His costume doesn't describe any of these words.
If anything, what I think of when I look at the costume is scattered, unbalanced, rebellious, emotional, and somewhat edgy. There's a tiny bit of elegance, but it's completely ruined by the rest of the costume.
The pants are light blue, and they stand out the most which looks ugly and it really makes no sense. Why would Vergil want opponents to notice his legs? You'd think a guy like him would want the exact opposite so enemies would have a harder time predicting his moves.
The coat is a disaster. The arm band doesn't fit DMC3's Vergil, but I can understand it's meaning since he wants to support the Order. None the less, I think it looks ugly against the black coat since it's pretty much the only blue on his upper body. Then there's the flowers... which doesn't fit him what soever. Even if they made him more emotional in DmC, 'sensitive' is still not something that could describe Vergil. It contradicts his objective attitude. His collar is just, gah... way too edgy. It's totally out of place and it looks some something dracula would wear. The extension of his coat on the back further attracts attention to his legs and it adds even more unnecessary blue to his lower half. He looks like a damn blueberry from the waist down, which completely contradicts his upper body which looks like some attempt at a fashionable vampire.

Honestly, it feels like a failed attempt at modern art, only in the form of clothing. There's no meaning behind it. Most of the characters in previous DMC games could be described by their clothing. The creators put thought into it... but this? Even if there was some weird meaning to the clothing, the aesthetics of it is just awful.

Sorry for the long post. Feel free to disagree with any of my points, but I just had to throw my two cents on here. It just bugs me so much.

EllDawn

Sorry for the bump, but I didn't want to create a new thread for a similar discussion on Vergil.
I'm really disappointed by this new Vergil's look. Like, yeah... it's suppose to be a westernization of DMC... but really? The characters should still have similar personalities. Vergil should still be honorable, calm-minded, and objective (to some extent). His costume doesn't describe any of these words.
If anything, what I think of when I look at the costume is scattered, unbalanced, rebellious, emotional, and somewhat edgy. There's a tiny bit of elegance, but it's completely ruined by the rest of the costume.
The pants are light blue, and they stand out the most which looks ugly and it really makes no sense. Why would Vergil want opponents to notice his legs? You'd think a guy like him would want the exact opposite so enemies would have a harder time predicting his moves.
The coat is a disaster. The arm band doesn't fit DMC3's Vergil, but I can understand it's meaning since he wants to support the Order. None the less, I think it looks ugly against the black coat since it's pretty much the only blue on his upper body. Then there's the flowers... which doesn't fit him what soever. Even if they made him more emotional in DmC, 'sensitive' is still not something that could describe Vergil. It contradicts his objective attitude. His collar is just, gah... way too edgy. It's totally out of place and it looks some something dracula would wear. The extension of his coat on the back further attracts attention to his legs and it adds even more unnecessary blue to his lower half. He looks like a damn blueberry from the waist down, which completely contradicts his upper body which looks like some attempt at a fashionable vampire.

Honestly, it feels like a failed attempt at modern art, only in the form of clothing. There's no meaning behind it. Most of the characters in previous DMC games could be described by their clothing. The creators put thought into it... but this? Even if there was some weird meaning to the clothing, the aesthetics of it is just awful.

Sorry for the long post. Feel free to disagree with any of my points, but I just had to throw my two cents on here. It just bugs me so much.

Ignoring his costume, Vergil is still honorable, calm and objective. He shows more emotion, yes, but that doesn't change the fact that he sees his main goal as something worth making sacrifices for. I think he genuinely does want to defeat Mundus and save humanity, but it's what he's willing to pay for it that might not rub people right. His costume is probably flashy for a reason, possibly his way of throwing others off balance so they can't understand him in the beginning. Don't forget, he's also supposed to be highly intelligent and probably calculating. Giving false signals is one way to keep him ahead of his enemies.

And with him wearing blue, which appears brighter because of him also wearing a lot of black, it's not as different from the original who wore a light blue coat, with the only dark color being his shirt. He was still just as flashy. And saying that the old Vergil wouldn't have worn something that this one does really doesn't matter. They're two different versions thought up by entirely different people, different cultures. This Vergil dresses more fittingly for his upbringing. His clothes are Victorian style, thankfully not Baroque. If Baroque clothing is anything like the music, then I could truly understand complaints. This Vergil was supposed to dress more elegant and show-off his wealth with well-tailored clothing. That's how it matches him. Just like Dante's street-clothes match his upbringing. He doesn't care about image, while Vergil probably had to.

At least this is what I get from how he dresses. And all the blue can also mean he's cold, in a sense. I know that blue tends to be a color that wouldn't be seen as welcoming. You paint a room with shades of blue and, though it will look nice, it's not going to be as welcoming as a room with red shaded wood and other warm colors. So there's one way it reflects his personality. He probably doesn't want to let anyone get too close, and so he dresses in a way that would keep people at a distance. He might seem open on the outside once he starts talking, but I doubt he is.

Anyway, this is just my interpretation of his character and his clothes. I don't know if I'm right or wrong.

DarkSlayer54

At least this is what I get from how he dresses. And all the blue can also mean he's cold, in a sense. I know that blue tends to be a color that wouldn't be seen as welcoming. You paint a room with shades of blue and, though it will look nice, it's not going to be as welcoming as a room with red shaded wood and other warm colors. So there's one way it reflects his personality. He probably doesn't want to let anyone get too close, and so he dresses in a way that would keep people at a distance. He might seem open on the outside once he starts talking, but I doubt he is.

Anyway, this is just my interpretation of his character and his clothes. I don't know if I'm right or wrong.

I just can't look at his costume and think "well-tailored". I see it as bizarre. Also, the blue doesn't bother me... it's the positioning of the blue that annoys me. The DMC3 Vergil had a great costume that reflected him perfectly. His costume was balanced, it showed elegance, as well as honor, and the blue reflected his calm personality. His inner clothing was all black, making his costume a great help towards his fighting style. When he spins and jumps around his coat would be all the opponent would see, making it hard for them to get a clear strike. While this new Vergil makes it easier for enemies to notice him. All they would see is his legs which would make it a great deal easier to target him as (almost always) the torso is above the legs... unless of course Vergil developed a new fighting style where he's mostly upside down. :/

But I dunno, I'm glad you don't mind his look. I'll have to put up with it through all of DmC....

EllDawn

I just can't look at his costume and think "well-tailored". I see it as bizarre. Also, the blue doesn't bother me... it's the positioning of the blue that annoys me. The DMC3 Vergil had a great costume that reflected him perfectly. His costume was balanced, it showed elegance, as well as honor, and the blue reflected his calm personality. His inner clothing was all black, making his costume a great help towards his fighting style. When he spins and jumps around his coat would be all the opponent would see, making it hard for them to get a clear strike. While this new Vergil makes it easier for enemies to notice him. All they would see is his legs which would make it a great deal easier to target him as (almost always) the torso is above the legs... unless of course Vergil developed a new fighting style where he's mostly upside down. :/

But I dunno, I'm glad you don't mind his look. I'll have to put up with it through all of DmC....

Clothes aren't really what I look at when it comes to a character, anyway. If there's anything physical I pay attention to, it's the character's eyes. The clothes are usually just something to keep the character from being nude, as far as I'm concerned. So I'm fine with what he's wearing, but I really don't judge his personality by what he wears. That I get more from what he says, does and what I see in his eyes.

Slaythe

Vergil TELEPORTS and uses a Doppelganger, how the **** does having blue pants ruin his combat style ?!

Given his movement speed, he'd rather hide his arms and thus the slashes, than his legs when he can just disappear and fight in the air...

Also, you can see in the trailer it doesn't stand out that much.

Don't forget this Vergil is still young. I m not sure he has "honor" as much as the original, but he looks smarter and more deceiving. I think he has a lot of pride, but he would rather do the "smart thing" rather than the "good thing" ( Dante ) or " honorable thing ". ( DMC3 Vergil ).

I think he is still very elegant and calm looking. The clothes are colder Than the old one, while his face is nicer. ( on purpose, as he showed his true face in his dlc trailer ) Nice contrast.

Xamalo Noel

Well, he's look is fine, since is another universe/reboot/whatever, his personality is kinda strange, but is like they say:

''If a salesman smile too much, the product they are seeling is probably broken'' what I mean is, he's too ''goodye good'', I think the game will show how he got to the dark side(lol) , he will betray Dante in some way (and even the order)and show that he was just using then to achieve power, stuff like that, still, we got to wait for the game and see what will happen!!

majeh116

Dislike.

He's going to have that good to evil arc but he just doesn't have much spark in him, from his appearance to his mediocre voice IMO
I prefer old Vergil's looks but beyond that I like this one more. I just feel that they have the similar themes its just this one has a legitimate character where as the old one thrived on having no character and being mysterious because of it.

majeh116

Vergil seems kinda soft to me. Softer than powdered baby thighs. If Dante's barbed wire, Vergil's cotton balls. I was hoping he'd have more... chill to his demeanor with focused, creepy, piercing eyes. Dante's running him all over and commanding him. That last scene was ominous the way Verg looked into Dante after telling him to trust him completely... A Yamato in the back may be coming soon.
I took that as a "okay well if this gets us killed which it will I'm going to give you massive **** for it."

majeh116

I like him, he's still the same Vergil. It's nothing to be afraid of saying.

Getting the job done is what Vergil is all about. Sacrifices may happen and as a demon hunter he knows this. Kat sacrificed herself for the greater good, she knows the consequences, and she knows Vergil. It's why he's the leader. Only reason Vergil is ok with helping Kat is because Dante is his brother. You can see it in his face. If it were anyone else they would've been dismissed or dismembered. I think Vergil is noticing Dante falling in love with this woman and isn't trying to get in the way, but the job they've both agreed to work hard to do is at risk. Kat's sacrifice would be in vain and their entire foundation would crumble if they fail the main objective.

So I agree with Vergil on this one. Dante is being way to soft. This is no time for love and friendship. People are dying by the minute and they're the only ones who can stop it.

I like to think of Vergil in this as Sosa and Dante as Scarface. Dante is playing both sides of the saying "All I have in this world is my word and my balls. I break them for no one." Vergil sees Dante playing the other side of the fence and tries to put his brother in check by flat out telling him. "That is MADNESS!" Dante's been out on his own for too long and he's probably jealous of Vergil because he grew up in a different setting. Vergil on the other hand is probably thinking about how grateful he has been to not have been through what his brother has. But, those thoughts that Dante is an idiot probably come up frequently. I bet he just wants to say "It's a SACRIFICE she chose to make on her own!"

Dante's probably thinking "Prep kid." while Vergil is thinking "Peasant." Even in real life, if you dress like Dante then people who dress like Vergil will not approach you and vice versa. Playing off of stereotypes. Ninja Theory is really pushing up on this issue and I respect them for making this game a message rather than just "another action title."

All in all, it'll be personal opinion on if Vergil is a bad guy or not. I don't care if I'm playing with the main character, they're not always right. So if Vergil winds up stabbing Dante in the back for the billions of people, then so be it. Boo hoo player. Your character just got stabbed for being wrong.
*Slow Claps*

8BitHero

Scrub
I like him because he has a wicked awesome hat.
Personally I think he's supposed to be the opposite of Dante in terms of clothes. Dante wears a tatty dirty shirt, jeans and a jacket while Vergil has a more...higher class look to him. Like a gentlemen look. I get the feeling he will betray Dante in the game. I've always seen Dante and Vergil like this.
Dante living in a crap shack, eating pizza, saying one liners, while Vergil has a constant serious face and no BS attitude. He speaks in a more "posh" than Dante and isn't about looking cool but getting the job done.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
Well, he's look is fine, since is another universe/reboot/whatever, his personality is kinda strange, but is like they say:

''If a salesman smile too much, the product they are seeling is probably broken'' what I mean is, he's too ''goodye good'', I think the game will show how he got to the dark side(lol) , he will betray Dante in some way (and even the order)and show that he was just using then to achieve power, stuff like that, still, we got to wait for the game and see what will happen!!

How is his personality strange? We haven't seen enough of him to make those kinds of conjectures.

Xamalo Noel

How is his personality strange? We haven't seen enough of him to make those kinds of conjectures.

Well I said that based on just one trailer, like I said, he seems a little too goody good, even emocional, and what I meant by strange is that we all know what will happen to him in the future(eeeeevil...), and I can't help to feel that he's just planning some evil stuff when he's talking, but like you said, we haven't seen enough of him, can't wait to see what's going to happen in this game!!!

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
At first I thought he'd wear a British rich outfit with Yamato & a rapier. But after finding out he's the leader of the Order I was not surprised.

But now... I can see now that this things are soon gonna get better and better.

rocketvergil

Vergil's apprentice, the successor to yamato
His costume really is strange, especially the blue pants
but what irritates me the most are the floral designs on his coat
He is a freakin demon hunter, not some Indian hippy???!!!

DarkSlayer54

Vergil TELEPORTS and uses a Doppelganger, how the **** does having blue pants ruin his combat style ?!
I think he is still very elegant and calm looking. The clothes are colder Than the old one, while his face is nicer. ( on purpose, as he showed his true face in his dlc trailer ) Nice contrast.

Teleporting doesn't matter imo... the blue pants would still cause a disadvantage inbetween his zips across the screen. (proven wrong)
I always find it so interesting how opinions can be so different. Your opinion on his costume is the exact opposite of mine.

Top Bottom