• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So games with the "P*" slapped on it is considered good by default?

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Ah good, thank you.

I think it's fairly self-demonstrating that Platinum have endeavoured to make diverse games which try (And not always succeed) to push the envelope and provide interactive experiences which are incredibly buzzword.

Ninja Theory endeavours to make incredibly expensive pseudo-interactive cliche mocapstravaganzas where gameplay is a distant afterthought.

When they aren't making games where asians and women kill each other and eat dogs.

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
Ah good, thank you.

I think it's fairly self-demonstrating that Platinum have endeavoured to make diverse games which try (And not always succeed) to push the envelope and provide interactive experiences which are incredibly buzzword.

Ninja Theory endeavours to make incredible expensive pseudo-interactive cliche mocapstravaganzas where gameplay is a distant afterthought.
I very much agree with this. The reason I like P* more than Ninja Theory (I enjoyed Enslaved alot and Heavenly Sword had great characters), is that they have so different ideas how to develop a game.

Ninja Theory wants to make games with a "cinematic experience" (which isn't wrong or anything, depends on the game) while P* wants to make games that feels right and fun to play.

P* have had up and downs with their games but I have generally been enjoying their games.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I apologize. But is there a commercial success of the P*company in general?

Most games that Platinum makes end up with somewhat mediocre, middle of the pack sales, but the games garner popularity from fans of the respective genre whatever game falls into. Unfortunately, that popularity seems to grow really slowly, but over a longer period of time.

From what I've seen, at least. By current industry standards they fall considerably short, but...that's because they're the "industry standards" where everyone thinks that Call of Duty's absurd sales are supposed to be the average margin, whilst completely disregarding the fact that majority of CoD profits come from Dudebros who only play CoD, and are therefore not potential customers for their own products.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, 4 pages are a bit much so I'll simply address the original topic.

P* isn't loved by all, nor is there a holy aura that every title they make shows to be more than gold. However they have a very loyal following that admires them, the work they do, the reasons they do it, but more importantly they-- well, we, actually-- admire them for the work they've done. Simply put they have made some of the greatest games I've ever played. From the original Devil May Cry, which without we would not be here discussing the merits of, to Resident Evils 1-4. They might be some of the least commercially successful titles Capcom has made but their work on Clover studio is par none, and to this day I still play most of their works.

P* is also a company that was founded with a very simple creed, to make fun games. It's rare to see a company that is risking their very existence to make good games since this is a time where the industry is full of companies that are more interested in the selling of a product than the desire to make a good game.

As to NT? Well, they've only made 3 games, 4 with DmC, and overall their previous works, the ones I've played anyway, were not that impressive. With that in mind NT's name isn't really know for the quality of the game but the story. DMC is not a story driven franchise, never was, it's a gameplay driven one and the story is just there to connect locations and move Dante along. I've never played Enslaved beyond the demo so I really can't say much for the title but I did play HS and I can't really say that it was a memorable as any of the more impressive of the P* titles.

This could go on so I'll simply say that P* has earned their fans. They made outstanding games that last even to this day, a lot of them and with NT's 3 pre-DmC games, one which few even remember existed, their resume is way too short to be compared to P*'s.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Another factor is that Platinum have cast a wider net by producing more games with a more varied design aesthetic. NT has been around for thirteen years and has barely materialized four games. Platinum has been around for seven years and has kicked out five, with three more on the immediate horizon, and that's without including the four more they made as Clover Studios.

Keep in mind I'm not saying it's a question of who makes more games (Although it's a factor), but the creativity Platinum demonstrates in each of their releases shows their commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I
Another factor is that Platinum have cast a wider net by producing more games with a more varied design aesthetic. NT has been around for thirteen years and has barely materialized four games. Platinum has been around for seven years and has kicked out five, with three more on the immediate horizon, and that's without including the four more they made as Clover Studios.

Keep in mind I'm not saying it's a question of who makes more games (Although it's a factor), but the creativity Platinum demonstrates in each of their releases demonstrates their commitment to Sparkle Motion.
agree with you that Platinum has a much more diverse catalog of game and I find most of them to be enjoyable. At this point they have even established their own unique style so that people who buy their games instantly know what they are getting.

I think NT has yet to achieve that, not to say they have made awful games, I liked Enslaved a lot, and Heavenly sword, I think DmC is the best, most well rounded game they have produced and I think that has a lot to do with them having an actual strong partnership with a producer for once and finally being able to hit a standard in technical and creative know how. Also, even though they have been around longer than P*, P* has a team of people with MUCH more experience working on games, and successful game series compared to NT.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Screw P* games. They're out putting a stain on the Metal Gear series. P*'s never even dished out anything past the decent mark so I don't care about them. One of my favorite developers is Rockstar. Least Rockstar pushes out some great stuff and they actually learn from their f*ck ups working to get better. GTA 5 looks like it could top San Andreas and I can't wait to see what they have in store. Also, hopefully on the horizon we'll maybe hear something about a new Red Dead and whatever the hell AGENT is.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Liked. But to be fair, I don't like Rockstar all that much, either. The ''inFamous'' series has sated all of my sandbox needs.^_^
Infamous is pretty cool because I love superheroes and Sucker Punch is responsible for Sly Cooper who is a character I've always adored. Sly is awesome. I've always liked games like Grand Theft Auto though because I like pretending and roleplaying. Like playing Red Dead Redemption, my friend and I went online playing Django Unchained and picking random players in the server as if they were out bounty. They are games that I can just mess around in. Plus Rockstar makes great single player stories because they sure know how to tell a great story. I got feels at the end of Red Dead Redemption man.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Hmm No ! MGR is just a next gen eye candy game JUST LIKE Ninja gaiden 3 '

all show and no substance...

P* can do good only if they focus on making a gameplay with more depth

GF9000000Returns

Seriously NOT EVERYONE LIKED THE REBOOT!

GET OVER IT!
You bought it & others didn't, move on!

Seriously, CAN YOU READ?! I've been over it, YOU need to get over me thinking that Platinum is a bit overrated.

Screw P* games. They're out putting a stain on the Metal Gear series. P*'s never even dished out anything past the decent mark so I don't care about them. One of my favorite developers is Rockstar. Least Rockstar pushes out some great stuff and they actually learn from their f*ck ups working to get better. GTA 5 looks like it could top San Andreas and I can't wait to see what they have in store. Also, hopefully on the horizon we'll maybe hear something about a new Red Dead and whatever the hell AGENT is.

I'm just glad they delayed GTA5 just for it to be a full blown sequel.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
Hmm No ! MGR is just a next gen eye candy game JUST LIKE Ninja gaiden 3 '

all show and no substance...

P* can do good only if they focus on making a gameplay with more depth
Idk if we can really say that considering the game is not out yet. From what I have played so far I am actually liking the combat in MGR, now it has yet to hook me like the DmC demo and I would not pay 60 bucks for it, but once you get the hang of it, the combat is fun and fast and it's a very pretty game to look at.

ChaserTech

Really ? Cause judging by the thread title So games with the "P*" slapped on it is considered good by default?.
you come off as someone that still has an issue with gamers picking MetalGearRising over the Reboot & this thread looks like flamebait.

I agree with this.

No offense GF9000000Returns, but when I saw the title of the thread, I immediately thought it was for Metal Gear Rising in general. And I was slightly right.

I can see why people are fawning over MGR and not DmC. Mainly because MGR has some pretty cliche action moments. In fact, it's more action packed than DmC during the cutscenes as far as I can tell. People like these sorts of things and it's not hard to understand why people think MGR is good as of now. However people are pushing the envelope a bit too far when they want to substitute MGR for DmC. Both are good games and they shouldn't be looked down upon just because people are choosing one game for another game.

Top Bottom