• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So games with the "P*" slapped on it is considered good by default?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I hated that anime so much, it was soooo boring and I don't know why they decided to give Dante that annoying kid/sidekick. It barely even had action and portrayed Trish and Lady as two money hungry, useless harpies looking to take advantage of Dante. The overall plot of that anime is probably the worst thing relating to DMC, even worse than the DMC2 and DMC4 storylines...maybe, or at least close

It was just a bunch of anime tropes all mashed together from the way I saw it. Annoying little girl at odds with main character? Check. Day-to-day grind work with jobs all themed off of popular things like gambling, monsters loving humans, mysterious disappearances, and illegal street racing? Check. Giving the main character a useless-to-the-plot quirk (Dante's unnecessary love for strawberry sundaes)? Check. World-shattering threat of a finale complete with "I failed and died, but then I came back and killed you with my super powerz~" scenes for the protagonist? Check.

And I love MadHouse, but goddamn did they somehow end up giving everyone overly broad shoulders and make everyone look like men, including the sexy Trish and the f*cking lady called Lady.

But Modeus was cool right? Even though he died in the same exact episode he first appeared in.
images

Classy
Oh yeah, and that too. Introducing new characters convenient to the episode's plot and then tossing them by the wayside before the credits :p Check.

EvilX-81

It was just a bunch of anime tropes all mashed together from the way I saw it. Annoying little girl at odds with main character? Check. Day-to-day grind work with jobs all themed off of popular things like gambling, monsters loving humans, mysterious disappearances, and illegal street racing? Check. Giving the main character a useless-to-the-plot quirk (Dante's unnecessary love for strawberry sundaes)? Check. World-shattering threat of a finale complete with "I failed and died, but then I came back and killed you with my super powerz~" scenes for the protagonist? Check.

Oh yeah, and that too. Introducing new characters convenient to the episode's plot and then tossing them by the wayside before the credits :p Check.

Don't forget being in constant debt and never being able to turn a dime even on successful missions.

EvilX-81

I did like the anime though. Maybe it was because my standards lowered after I noticed the annoying little girl was going to become a staple of the series, or maybe the superb animation made me overlook most of the flaws.

I don't really understand why so many are irked about his strawberry sundae love, but on the otherhand, I'm kinda tired of Dante being synonymous "parties" and pizza. We get it. What ELSE does he like. Order a burger, eat a candy bar, watch a soap opera, add some further depth to the guy other than lazying about, eating pizza, and waiting for the next job to roll in, or just a cache of cool cliches.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover

And I love MadHouse, but goddamn did they somehow end up giving everyone overly broad shoulders and make everyone look like men, including the sexy Trish and the f*cking lady called Lady.

It was so disappointing. When I found out DMC had an anime I was really excited, then I watched it and nothing happened, it felt like generic the anime instead of dmc, even the ultra anime esque dmc3 and 4 had cooler stuff in it than this and I can't fathom how that could be

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Don't forget being in constant debt and never being able to turn a dime even on successful missions.

Ugh...that too. It always bugs me how people are portrayed as "being in debt." They're all "Waaaaaaaaaah~ I'm in debt and have no mannies~" and yet seem to live quite comfortably with several amenities that real people in debt instantly sacrifice because they're on a goddamn budget of negative zero dollars >.<

I did like the anime though. Maybe it was because my standards lowered after I noticed the annoying little girl was going to become a staple of the series, or maybe the superb animation made me overlook most of the flaws.

It was really tough for me to care about that little girl, because it was like they went out of their way to make her annoying to the viewer. It would have been enough to just make her annoying to Dante, and we'd get it, but noooo T_T And as for superb animations, that's one of the reasons I love MadHouse, but for an anime based on an action series, there was a whole lot of characters just standing around talking with their thumbs up their butts, and a distinct lack of action, or there was action, but they used stupid close-ups, shaky cam, and awkward cut-aways...they even went so far as to reduce the final climactic battle to a bunch of flashing lights and streaks of color smashing into each other...MadHouse...you sadden me :C

I don't really understand why so many are irked about his strawberry sundae love, but on the otherhand, I'm kinda tired of Dante being synonymous "parties" and pizza. We get it. What ELSE does he like. Order a burger, eat a candy bar, watch a soap opera, add some further depth to the guy other than lazying about, eating pizza, and waiting for the next job to roll in, or just a cache of cool cliches.

What bugged me about it was that it was just very...odd, and sorta forced. As I mentioned, it's that common trope in anime to give the protagonist some sort of silly quirk, and it was like they just went "Haw haw~ Dante loooooves strawberry sundaes! Isn't that just so quirky folks!? HAW HAW HAW!" He's ordering them all the time, as if he's addicted to them, when he clearly has other vices they could have been depicting (his love for whiskey, pizza, and the ever-so notable "getting crazy"). It was as if they somehow tried to make Dante more kid friendly, even though he's in a mature-rated show where blood spills profusely and he gets friggin' crucified >.<

That's just me though :x

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It was so disappointing. When I found out DMC had an anime I was really excited, then I watched it and nothing happened, it felt like generic the anime instead of dmc, even the ultra anime esque dmc3 and 4 had cooler stuff in it than this and I can't fathom how that could be

That is the best way to describe Devil May Cry: The Animated Series: "Nothing happened."

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
Ugh...that too. It always bugs me how people are portrayed as "being in debt." They're all "Waaaaaaaaaah~ I'm in debt and have no mannies~" and yet seem to live quite comfortably with several amenities that real people in debt instantly sacrifice because they're on a goddamn budget of negative zero dollars >_<

It was really tough for me to care about that little girl, because it was like they went out of their way to make her annoying to the viewer. It would have been enough to just make her annoying to Dante, and we'd get it, but noooo T_T And as for superb animations, that's one of the reasons I love MadHouse, but for an anime based on an action series, there was a whole lot of characters just standing around talking with their thumbs up their butts, and a distinct lack of action, or there was action, but they used stupid close-ups, shaky cam, and awkward cut-aways...they even went so far as to reduce the final climactic battle to a bunch of flashing lights and streaks of color smashing into each other...MadHouse...you sadden me :C

What bugged me about it was that it was just very...odd, and sorta forced. As I mentioned, it's that common trope in anime to give the protagonist some sort of silly quirk, and it was like they just went "Haw haw~ Dante loooooves strawberry sundaes! Isn't that just so quirky folks!? HAW HAW HAW!" He's ordering them all the time, as if he's addicted to them, when he clearly has other vices they could have been depicting (his love for whiskey, pizza, and the ever-so notable "getting crazy"). It was as if they somehow tried to make Dante more kid friendly, even though he's in a mature-rated show where blood spills profusely and he gets friggin' crucified >_<

That's just me though :x
I cannot agree with you more! I can forgive all the stuff with the boring plot, making Lady and Trish useless, the awful characterization, and even the annoying kid if the action was cool and crazy, but they dropped the ball on that big time. It was non existent, and that final fight was just....a travesty of epic proportions.

Teimurazor

Peregrine Falcon
Dunno about you, but I personally love P Games because they are just about the only ones who can capture the pure essence of ultimate hype in their games.

Teimurazor

Peregrine Falcon
I do as well, but they shouldn't be praised for the wrong reasons.
Well, they may be praised or not for all I care, after all, we all have different tastes and opinions, and from my standpoint, Platinums are best in delivering the hypest stuff, and for me personally actions are always about Hype. I can't say I don't love new DMC, I love the combat, but there is so much things that drag it down for me, and nothing to outweight it sadly

crush

They should have shown Dante playing billiards or darts or some other kind of hobbies that suits him.
I would love to see Dante watching soap operas. Maybe that's where he got his Lucifer talk.

Well, they may be praised or not for all I care, after all, we all have different tastes and opinions, and from my standpoint, Platinums are best in delivering the hypest stuff, and for me personally actions are always about Hype. I can't say I don't love new DMC, I love the combat, but there is so much things that drag it down for me, and nothing to outweight it sadly

Yeah, I should admit that. The games Kamiya made are purely for fun, not the "You should speculate this story-line" stuff.
It's made like a B-movie but with nice action with riduculous but fun to watch characters.
DmC needed more of that eccence. It is indeed more "real-like" but DmC Dante was a bit too calm to make the old fans realise he is Dante.

GF9000000Returns

Yeah, I should admit that. The games Kamiya made are purely for fun, not the "You should speculate this story-line" stuff.
It's made like a B-movie but with nice action with riduculous but fun to watch characters.
DmC needed more of that eccence. It is indeed more "real-like" but DmC Dante was a bit too calm to make the old fans realise he is Dante.

What do you mean by "calm"? Cuz I think he's a wild one like the DMC3 Dante was.

crush

What do you mean by "calm"? Cuz I think he's a wild one like the DMC3 Dante was.

It's hard to explain. But DmC Dante has very distinct differences. I'm not saying that's bad but I think some of the missing parts are the elements that DMC fans wanted.
I mentioned it in previous threads. but one of the drastic differences it that he denied the "Party" offer by Lilith.
I think the Original Dante would have at least say he would gatecrash it.
Other parts can be that he doesn't show-off his weapons much once he gets them.
I mean the scene where Dante aquires Gilgamesh compared to Eryx is quite...obvious.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Whatchu want now?
Don't hurry back!

And yes! Some people mentioned Vanquish. Out of the games Platinum Games have developed, and I only played 2; not counting MGR: Revengeance cause it's not out yet, I enjoyed Vanquish and Bayonetta. Anarchy Reigns looks like another good concept/poor execution sort of game. It's trying to make multiplayer more than shooters, fighters, and sports game by introducing a hack n' slash game. But it doesn't look that interesting when watching it. The Wonderful 101 I don't know much, so I can't comment. But with Vanquish, it was a blast. While being another third-person shooter, it, Spec Ops: the Line, Binary Domain, and Inversion focused or tried adding things not normally found in third-person shooters; high-speed gameplay, darker look into war, humanity, and gravity. Also, it had the tamest story out of all Platinum Games' games in my opinion. Bayonetta is fun with the gameplay, but the innuendo and story are really ridiculous and annoying in my opinion.

ChaserTech

A few weeks ago when I was about to get my copy of DmC before work, I couple of fat (or big) boys were badgering me over it. They were pointing at the MGR poster saying "you see this, that's the game you should've waited for".

Wow that's really immature. :/ Don't know why people can't just let people like a game without being badgered about it.

In all honesty, after playing the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo, I thought it was pretty neat. Controls were a bit finicky when I first got my hands on it but after a bit, things started to sink in. Kinda disappointed that there's no actual block/parry button. I found the game to be a bit more open ended since the environments that were presented within the demo was pretty vast compared to the levels in DMC4 (which mainly consisted of narrow walkways in most areas). You can explore a lot of sections within the demo.

DMC4 lost a lot of content when Capcom booted it out the door less than half finished. We'll probably never know what the game could have been.

I still need to see documentation of the game being "half finished". I honestly doubt that DMC4 was drastically incomplete like people constantly say. I tried looking this up myself but I didn't get anything

Don't hurry back!

Awesome, Borderlands. :D

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Wow that's really immature. :/ Don't know why people can't just let people like a game without being badgered about it.

In all honesty, after playing the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo, I thought it was pretty neat. Controls were a bit finicky when I first got my hands on it but after a bit, things started to sink in. Kinda disappointed that there's no actual block/parry button.

I think the game will be fun, but I was sad to find out that the launching attack was done with Forward+Forward+Square. Like, I was super ecstatic to know there was one, but the input for it is extremely tight. Like...King of Fighters XIII tight. There's also a windmill kick by spinning the Left Stick and pushing Triangle, but...ugh...there's absolutely no buffering...it's next to impossible to combo the windmill off of some regular attacks, so by the time you finish the stick rotation and Raiden gets into the start of the move, someone knocks you out of it :/

The launch is a little easier, since you can immediately jump and start an air juggle, but you can't combo it (no buffer), and it uses an input way too similar to the Parry (Left Stick at Attack+Square) :/ There's some cool stuff there, but I'm not too sure it'll have the same type of comboing potential some people are expecting it to. Coupled with the auto-combo QTEs and the constant slow-motion effects, I'm a bit worried that the pacing will get seriously jiggered at points.

Top Bottom