• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Plot Holes, Questions, and Inconsistencies of DMC

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
If There were other Nephilim before...how come they were slained? werent they supposed to be OP?
If I remember correctly, Mundus had them hunted and exterminated. I hope a sequel does happen eventually because I was interested in that aspect to the story and it raises some pretty big what ifs. There is definitely more to that part of the story.

Prowler

There is another plot hole I found; Dante in DMC 2 while he was entering the demon world, there wasn't any motorcycle, but after he defeated Argosax The Chaos he got on a motorcycle and went all the way to hell. Where did he found a motorcycle ? The gate of the human world had already closed behind him in that time.:/

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
In the anime, Sparda's apprentices show up.
407079589.jpg

How in the world did they get there? Through some portal or were they already in the surface world hiding out? And Modeus (the dark one) said that Sparda was still alive somewhere in the city. I don't think he meant alive in spirit or that he was talking about Dante, either. I got this feeling that there was going to be another anime but now....

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
In the anime, Sparda's apprentices show up.
407079589.jpg

How in the world did they get there? Through some portal or were they already in the surface world hiding out? And Modeus (the dark one) said that Sparda was still alive somewhere in the city. I don't think he meant alive in spirit or that he was talking about Dante, either. I got this feeling that there was going to be another anime but now....

he was most likely hoping that he was alive. i'm sure sparda is dead

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
ugh...i love DmC, don't get me wrong. but i feel as though the series was rebooted far too early. there are way too many unanswered questions that the original series left behind. like sparda's apprentices and the stories that people tell of sparda that need to be given more time to be told. the plot hole of time. why dante acts the way he does in different games. NERO is a frikin plot hole himself. what happened to vergil? did yamato's repair ressurect vergil as well? i just feel that maybe capcom should have waited a few more games until deciding to ride the reboot band wagon.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I swear, if the fifth entry to the original DMC series ends up with more plotholes... I don't know what I would do with it anymore...
If Capcom messes up the story more, then I would lose my faith in them... I hope they have learned good storytelling from Ninja Theory, who are supposedly good storytellers and that NT themselves have learned good gameplay mechanics.
Seriously, we need games that have a balance of gameplay, storytelling and replay value; these three are the main aspects of what makes a game good and are good compliments to each other!

Anyway, I have seen the inconsistencies and retconning of DMC. If Capcom asked Kamiya to direct the whole thing himself, like with Hideo Kojima for the MGS series, then the DMC series didn't needed a reboot at all and everything in it would be all sugar, butterflies and rainbows (meaning: no plotholes, no contradictions, and no retconning, not to mention no bad blood between the PG employees and Capcom); also, Platinum would've been with Capcom too if he directed DMC all the way and would love to make a crossover between DMC and Bayonetta, in which both Kamiya directed!
I feel there are some connections between those two games' plots. Examples: Enzo Ferino in the DMC novels and the DMC3 manga pre-DMC3 could possibly be Enzo from Bayonetta and Dante using Antonio Redgrave's name (Anthony "Tony" Redgrave) as a sign of respect for the man, which is according to Kamiya himself... Also, according to Antonio's notes regarding Rodin's The Gates of Hell bar, devil hunters also hang out there; it could be possible Dante could be one of those devil hunters hanging out there. I can easily imagine Dante asking Rodin if Jack Daniels is available and, if it is, he'd drink the whole bottle.

Reactions: Jak

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
There is another plot hole I found; Dante in DMC 2 while he was entering the demon world, there wasn't any motorcycle, but after he defeated Argosax The Chaos he got on a motorcycle and went all the way to hell. Where did he found a motorcycle ? The gate of the human world had already closed behind him in that time.:/

Dante gains his yellow motorcycle in the mission he has to fight a kind of green medusa with tentacles.Later he uses it for his own transportation, so probably it's him who takes it to the demon world with him.( I suppose...)

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
ugh...i love DmC, don't get me wrong. but i feel as though the series was rebooted far too early. there are way too many unanswered questions that the original series left behind. like sparda's apprentices and the stories that people tell of sparda that need to be given more time to be told. the plot hole of time. why dante acts the way he does in different games. NERO is a frikin plot hole himself. what happened to vergil? did yamato's repair ressurect vergil as well? i just feel that maybe capcom should have waited a few more games until deciding to ride the reboot band wagon.

Actually capcom said they had no other ideas for Devil May Cry after DMC4. They were just about to dump the whole series right there.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Actually capcom said they had no other ideas for Devil May Cry after DMC4. They were just about to dump the whole series right there.
...huh...well then. by all means, reboot. but they could have waited a while. brands that get rebooted like that in a timespan so short are typically ill received critically.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I have no idea where it was, but it was during an interview where it said if it wasn't for DmC, they'd have no plans at all for another DMC and thus DMC would end at DMC4.

I heard this but never saw the exact the interview where it was mentioned.

They never said that they were going to stop making DMC after DMC4 but rather felt that the series was on a decline after DMC4 and was afraid it'll get stale soon and wanted to try something new and bam DmC was their answer.......well not really due to DmC's rather low sales compared to DMC4 this series could potentially be screwed as a whole or revived more interest in the old series.

Although it contradicts what was also previously said where in DMC4's dev team interviews they said they ended DMC4 with an open ended so they can easily follow up based on how the game is received (a solo Dante game, a solo Nero game, or both of them) and in the DmC interviews Itsuno himself stated that the old series is not over and that opening one door doesn't mean closing the other and he would like to run both series at the same time as well as expressing interest in a new Devil May Cry (same goes for Eshiro, DmC producer).

Might as well close both doors and buy a new house Capcom.

berto

I Saw the Devil
So there was no mentioning ever about Sparda's or Eva's parents, right?
Nope. I'd guess one is a human couple, the other a demonic one. Do you know who Shakespeare's father was? Napoleon's? Socretice's? There is just no interest unless the parents are famous, too.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
''Although it contradicts what was also previously said where in DMC4's dev team interviews they said they ended DMC4 with an open ended so they can easily follow up based on how the game is received (a solo Dante game, a solo Nero game, or both of them)''.

Yeah. Well, if they didn't have many ideas for DMC5, they should've brought somebody in who did. Seriously, they're Capcom, but they have no ideas? What a great developer. :laugh: Pretty sure you plan these things ahead of time, too. You don't just make one game and then go ''well, we'll see where it goes from here''. That's how plotholes come into being.
To be honest, it's not hard to come up with a plot. It doesn't take long. After having thought of a plot, you start developing the game, and voilà, DMC5. So... no, I don't think they needed to reboot the series.

''wanted to try something new and bam DmC was their answer''

But if they wanted to do something new, why rehash DMC1 (Mundus) and DMC3 (Vergil) into DmC? I just don't understand Capcom anymore. Unless they're planning on developing DmC2, which could finally change the story up. I really hope DMC5 will still be made, though.

Last edited:

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
Nope. I'd guess one is a human couple, the other a demonic one. Do you know who Shakespeare's father was? Napoleon's? Socretice's? There is just no interest unless the parents are famous, too.
I disagree but to each their own.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
''Although it contradicts what was also previously said where in DMC4's dev team interviews they said they ended DMC4 with an open ended so they can easily follow up based on how the game is received (a solo Dante game, a solo Nero game, or both of them)''.

Yeah. Well, if they didn't have many ideas for DMC5, they should've brought somebody in who did. Seriously, they're Capcom, but they have no ideas? What a great developer. :laugh: Pretty sure you plan these things ahead of time, too. You don't just make one game and then go ''well, we'll see where it goes from here''. That's how plotholes come into being.
To be honest, it's not hard to come up with a plot. It doesn't take long. After having thought of a plot, you start developing the game, and voilà, DMC5. So... no, I don't think they needed to reboot the series.

''wanted to try something new and bam DmC was their answer''

But if they wanted to do something new, why rehash DMC1 (Mundus) and DMC3 (Vergil) into DmC? I just don't understand Capcom anymore. Unless they're planning on developing DmC2, which could finally change the story up. I really hope DMC5 will still be made, though.

That may have been the case.

That is how we got DMC2, DMC3, & DMC4. Most devs sort of follow this method of going with the flow type of deal. Plus it would suck if you had this amazing idea for a sequel that you were building up during the first game or any game and to know the sequel was canned due to poor sales plus lets not forget publishers wanting to extend series for profits. Not even Kamiya had plans for DMC2 when he was making DMC1.

Anyway this probably isn't the case anymore as Itsuno himself now has ideas and plans he want to implement in a new Devil May Cry (both gameplay and storywise).

Plus they weren't out of ideas. They were out of ideas they thought would sell and they thought DmC would sell.......it didn't now I think they're back to the drawing board (pretty much where they left off from DMC4 trying to think of an amazing idea that can make the Devil May Cry series BIG).

Plus DmC was mainly Inafune's idea when he went through that whole "Westernize Everything" phase when he was at Capcom (that is how we got Dead Rising 2 being made by a western dev, Dead Rising 1 sort of, Bionic Commando reboot, those Bionic Commando arcade games, Dark Void, almost got that MegaMan X reboot Maverick Hunter X, and much later Lost Planet 3 although not sure if DuckTales Remastered and Strider counts but they nearly made Strider reboot like the Bionic Commando and DMC reboot).

So with Inafune gone and Capcom out of that phase apparently it seems the mentality that went into the idea of making DmC seems gone from the company and now they're in the phase of "Cutting Down Outsourcing to Maintain Quality & Finding New Ways to Improve the Staff and Game Development".

So now its really a matter of if Capcom WANTS to continue DmC rather than "Westernize it, it'll make money". Same goes for DMC although a lot of hints points to the staff really do want to keep working on DMC and even Itsuno and Eshiro stated they would like to keep making games for it (not 100% sure if they meant DMC though).

The final decided factor is if upper management would put money into funding a new Devil May Cry.

Top Bottom