• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Damn Morgan, that was one epic comment. I've been trying to tell people that for years. Dante is 28 in DMC1, and DMC4 Dante is said to be ten years older than he was in DMC3, meaning he's about 29/30 there. Vergil would be that old too, therefore Vergil would've had to have fathered Nero when he was like 10 or 11.

This is exactly why I hope Nero is not Vergil's son, but rather perhaps some kind of experiment created from Sparda's DNA. I know that wouldn't make much sense in real life, but then, this is a video game where people get possessed by dead people (Vergil) through a demonic blade holding their soul.
I don't see Nero being another son of Sparda as a possibility, considering Sparda was said to have died before Dante and Vergil were even born (I think). But I don't know, it's all a bit fishy. For all we know, Vergil did have a hand in Nero's creation, but it didn't have to be creation in the normal biological sense.

Or they could just retcon everything... why the hell not.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Damn Morgan, that was one epic comment. I've been trying to tell people that for years. Dante is 28 in DMC1, said to be ten years older than he was in DMC3, meaning he's about 29/30 in DMC4. Vergil would be that old too, therefore Vergil would've had to have fathered Nero when he was like 10 or 11.

This is exactly why I hope Nero is not Vergil's son, but rather perhaps some kind of experiment created from Sparda's DNA. I know that wouldn't make much sense in real life, but then, this is a video game where people get possessed by dead people (Vergil) through a demonic blade holding their soul.
I don't see Nero being another son of Sparda as a possibility, considering Sparda was said to have died before Dante and Vergil were even born (I think). But I don't know, it's all a bit fishy. For all we know, Vergil did have a hand in Nero's creation, but it didn't have to be creation in the normal biological sense.

Or they could just retcon everything... why the hell not.

As far as i remember, Sparda went missing when they were still childs.

Veloran

Damn Morgan, that was one epic comment. I've been trying to tell people that for years. Dante is 28 in DMC1, and DMC4 Dante is said to be ten years older than he was in DMC3, meaning he's about 29/30 there.

But that's wrong. Dante is said to be almost middle-aged in DMC4, in his 30's and approaching 40. 4 certainly doesn't seem to take place only a year or two after 1, at the very least the entire anime happens in between the two.

Viper

Premium
But that's wrong. Dante is said to be almost middle-aged in DMC4, in his 30's and approaching 40. 4 certainly doesn't seem to take place only a year or two after 1, at the very least the entire anime happens in between the two.
Not just anime, but also a time period where Trish worked with Dante, only to leave for an unspecified period of time on a trip.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Guys, I thought there was a thread for ages?

Ah well, I'm sure I've seen before that DMC 1 Dante is 28 and the anime takes place in-between 1 & 4. And Dante is 29 in DMC 4.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Because a story of Humans turning to evil for their own gain is more involved and despicable than a story of a Demon being evil because it's a Demon.

Being evil is basically a Demon's default state. It's almost self-explanatory. But for a Human, it's them betraying everything they are in exchange for power, and offers an opportunity for the story to talk about how the power they seek is ultimately meaningless in the face of the humanity they gave up.

If the only excuse for demons to be evil is "because they're demons", and you're expected to take their word for it, that's not good writing. That's what I've been trying to say. Capcom says one thing then continually shows exceptions and wraps the plot around "Not all demons are bad and not all humans are good, judging an entire race of beings is bad, mmkay?" and that is not just so the player can sit back and say "But 99% of demons are still evil and 99% of humans are still good though, we just don't see them", otherwise Lady was right the entire time in DMC3, and Arius is right about Lucia in DMC2.

"More despicable"? Three games have had those humans do almost the exact same thing for the exact same reason. To attain godhood. There are multiple (and hopefully complex) reasons a human would want to seek power and it's not bad to want it-- isn't that one of the previous arguments against one of my posts? That's what makes Credo 'a good guy', or 'well-intentioned', but when three games have their human villains doing the same thing over and over and the outcome is the same thing over and over, I don't know about you, but that gets old. That is a limiting story, and that's ignoring the fact that humans can betray and kill each other off for much less than 'godhood and immortality'. If DMC5 comes out it's probably going to be yet another human trying to gain power to become a god, as if they missed the memo about Dante defeating those god-complex types repeatedly before.

And believe it or not, you likely CAN tell a story about why a demon does bad things and not have it be "just because". The Underworld is a largely unexplored area in terms of its politics and previous rulers, and the canon does state that the wars between demons and humans started after Mundus took the throne and decided to take over the Human World. The two realms existed fine before that point.

Considering you battle hundreds upon hundreds of Demons in each game, that's not quite true.

"Hundreds and hundreds of demons in each game" are proven to be mindless pawns following orders of their master and a large majority of them are described as created by Mundus himself who has evil intentions to take over both worlds (he created Trish, Blades/Assaults, Marionettes, Fetishes, Nightmare, Frosts, and Blitzes). So that they're evil by default is more of a 'no ****' point. However, we see the devils that can actually think for themselves that are not allied with him possessing awareness and humanity and showing an ability to care for others, so they are capable of overriding their default state through either nurture (Matier raising Lucia), interaction (Dante to Trish, that only took what, 15 minutes of actual screentime?) or some other means (Brad and Angelina, Sparda, Modeus). And of the ones that do work with Mundus, Dante recognizes that Griffon is 'noble' (as in, "I have to defeat that noble fool Griffon!"), and Nelo Angelo has 'guts and honor' (he was also brainwashed but that's not the point), so they're not entirely absent of good qualities; the concept of loyalty and nobility exists between devils.

His information is solid and corroborated by multiple sources, even if you don't take Nero's parentage into account.

What? His theory relies on the fact that Nero exists because of Vergil. Of course if Nero exists because of Vergil, and Vergil was 19 when he was born, then Dante is 38 in DMC4 (and Vergil would be too, if he weren't dead). If Nero did not exist because of Vergil, neither of the twins are obligated to be 37-38, because their ages have zip all to do with his.

That is effectively the only source giving that version of the timeline, especially in numbers. And frankly, it has more to do with Japanese culture than anything else - Lady will probably stay perpetually 29 for as long as the series goes on, because any older and they'd expect her to stop being "cute".

Again, what? Even the description of the video took those statements into account ("Update: There was another developer statement I forgot to include in the video. [...] Kobayashi stated that Lady is 10 years older in DMC4 than DMC3, and Itsuno claimed that Lady is in her mid 20s on Twitch during E3 2015. However, that is impossible with how I perceive the timeline"). So basically, two developers said almost the same thing, it's the video creator's personal opinion/perception that doesn't allow them to accept Dante being "younger than he looks" even though the only thing visibly aging him is his beard. Dante's aged the same amount that Lady has, so however older she is, he also has to be, unless you're saying time literally doesn't pass to him at one second per second.

Secondly, you're saying that all of these statements are somehow true?

Lady is 29, or else she wouldn't be "cute" anymore, because Japan.
Dante is 38, according to that video.
Almost twenty years have passed between DMC3 and DMC4 to account for Dante's age and Nero's age

So Lady in DMC3 was a 9/10 year old? Dante aged twice as fast as Lady did when the exact same span of time passed by for the both of them?

And even assuming those translations are correct, they also do not give definitive dates, only "over a decade" and "about a decade". Considering statements as to Nero's age being comparable to Dante in DMC3, and Dante himself in DMC4 being in his 30's and approaching 40, that would mean almost twenty years had passed from the events of the third game - A timeframe which would roughly meet each translation.

"Over a decade" and "about a decade" ago, Vergil wore the same clothes he did during DMC3 and looked visibly like a young adult. Again, the theory hinges on Nero existing because of Vergil, not independently of him. When we "don't take Nero's parentage into account", Nero doesn't have to exist because of the twins and got his 'Blood of Sparda' through another branch or something, at which point his age makes sense and aligns with two out of three translations and the developer statements.

Alternatively, you are incorrect in your interpretation of information. This is by far the most likely scenario, as your evidence is miniscule in comparison to everything that contradicts it.

My evidence is developer statements and interviews, and two out of three known translations agreeing not only with each other but also the aforementioned dev statements that the video creator acknowledges as existing. The video instead says "Well, I'm going to assume something is automatically true for the sake of the video and to prove my particular point, but two devs said something that throws my theory into the garbage but that disagrees with my personal perception of the timeline and the flawed premise I was propping this theory on, so there."

Perhaps, but there is no guarantee that was the actual reasoning and account of what happened. Viewed from a Human perspective, Sparda sealing away his power because he feared it was corruptive would fit with the worldview of the church, in that the power of hell is inherently evil.

Alternatively, Sparda did fear his power and intentionally seal it away, but not because it was physically corruptive or bad. Rather, because Sparda did not trust himself to always use his power with righteousness in mind - He may have feared that in time, with no-one to hold him in check, he might come to abuse his power and act as a tyrant rather than a watcher.

Okay, so... is the power of Hell inherently evil, or is it just a tool that good or bad people can wield as they wish? Sparda, Lucia, Trish, and Bradley all showed that the 'inherent evil' of being born a demon can be overcome through various means, so if anything it looks like 'evil' is a condition brought on by a hostile environment and upbringing rather than genetic predisposition. Humans can also override their 'inherently good' qualities and become evil for the sake of power, as three out of four games show. That Sparda didn't trust his own power is a character-specific thing, but if the power of Hell is inherently evil and the church opinion is right, humans can be corrupted by the promise of more power especially when a demon god is involved, and Dante's already surpassed Sparda according to his character file/the DMC4 game manual/whatever, would he be in danger of losing control of himself and should he worry about that? Does Nero have to worry about that? Or are they free from having to make those decisions or get those outcomes because of genetics or plot fiat?

Veloran

And Dante is 29 in DMC 4.

No. That is not stated anywhere.

If the only excuse for demons to be evil is "because they're demons", and you're expected to take their word for it, that's not good writing. That's what I've been trying to say. Capcom says one thing then continually shows exceptions and wraps the plot around "Not all demons are bad and not all humans are good, judging an entire race of beings is bad, mmkay?" and that is not just so the player can sit back and say "But 99% of demons are still evil and 99% of humans are still good though, we just don't see them", otherwise Lady was right the entire time in DMC3, and Arius is right about Lucia in DMC2.

The vast majority of Demons are evil, and the vast majority of Humans are good. There are exceptions to every rule, and for the most part DMC's storylines revolve around those exceptions.

"More despicable"?

Yes. A Human throwing away their Humanity to seek great power is more deplorable than a Demon acting as you'd expect it to. Despite having a much less important role and not affecting the series' main character as badly, Arkham is more worthy of hate than Mundus. Mundus didn't even see what he was doing as wrong, regarding Humans as animals that barely deserved attention, while Arkham is a villain on a much more personal level, having killed his own wife and manipulated his daughter all to obtain infinite power in reverence of evil.

For Credo's part, he believed the Order was doing everything for the sake of good. Rather than seek out the power of Demons, he saw his "ascension" as evolution into an Angel, for a just cause. Only when he saw how Sanctus was willing to use and threaten his sister, who was as good as a person could be and was devoted to the ideals the Order preached, did he understand that he had actually been serving the bad guy.

"Hundreds and hundreds of demons in each game" are proven to be mindless pawns following orders of their master and a large majority of them are described as created by Mundus himself who has evil intentions to take over both worlds (he created Trish, Blades/Assaults, Marionettes, Fetishes, Nightmare, Frosts, and Blitzes). So that they're evil by default is more of a 'no ****' point. However, we see the devils that can actually think for themselves that are not allied with him possessing awareness and humanity and showing an ability to care for others, so they are capable of overriding their default state through either nurture (Matier raising Lucia), interaction (Dante to Trish, that only took what, 15 minutes of actual screentime?) or some other means (Brad and Angelina, Sparda, Modeus). And of the ones that do work with Mundus, Dante recognizes that Griffon is 'noble' (as in, "I have to defeat that noble fool Griffon!"), and Nelo Angelo has 'guts and honor' (he was also brainwashed but that's not the point), so they're not entirely absent of good qualities; the concept of loyalty and nobility exists between devils.

For every intelligent Demon that's good, there are countless more that are despicable.

For a full rundown, let's look at every Demon that can be described as noble in some way.

Sparda
Trish
Lucia
Griffon*
Cerberus*
Agni & Rudra*
Berial*
Modeus
Brad

* Indicates that despite having some redeeming qualities, they still served evil in some way, up until the moment they died.

Now, let's look at all the flatly bad Demons.

Mundus
Argosax
The Despair Embodied
Abigail
Phantom
Trismagia
Bolverk
Beowulf
Doppleganger
Nevan
Bael & Dagon
Echidna
White Rabbit
Mad Hatter
Sid
Belphagor
Baul
The Rolling Thunder Demon
The Wishes Come True Demons
The Once Upon a Time Demon
King
The nameless Demons from the manga, of which there were at least seven

Note that I'm not including Demons which are of overly questionable intelligence or sapience, which are countless.

Even from the small sample size we have available, there is a pretty big majority of Demons that are outright evil, or are at least completely evil from a Human's morality.

It is possible for Demons to be good, but as a whole they tend to skew bad.

What? His theory relies on the fact that Nero exists because of Vergil. Of course if Nero exists because of Vergil, and Vergil was 19 when he was born, then Dante is 38 in DMC4 (and Vergil would be too, if he weren't dead). If Nero did not exist because of Vergil, neither of the twins are obligated to be 37-38, because their ages have zip all to do with his.

Even ignoring Nero and Vergil's relationship, there are still multiple statements that Dante is intended to be in his 30's as of DMC4.

Again, what? Even the description of the video took those statements into account ("Update: There was another developer statement I forgot to include in the video. [...] Kobayashi stated that Lady is 10 years older in DMC4 than DMC3, and Itsuno claimed that Lady is in her mid 20s on Twitch during E3 2015. However, that is impossible with how I perceive the timeline"). So basically, two developers said almost the same thing, it's the video creator's personal opinion/perception that doesn't allow them to accept Dante being "younger than he looks" even though the only thing visibly aging him is his beard. Dante's aged the same amount that Lady has, so however older she is, he also has to be, unless you're saying time literally doesn't pass to him at one second per second.

Secondly, you're saying that all of these statements are somehow true?

Lady is 29, or else she wouldn't be "cute" anymore, because Japan.
Dante is 38, according to that video.
Almost twenty years have passed between DMC3 and DMC4 to account for Dante's age and Nero's age

So Lady in DMC3 was a 9/10 year old? Dante aged twice as fast as Lady did when the exact same span of time passed by for the both of them?

The only outlying factor here is Lady's age. Remove Lady, and they have consistently suggested DMC4 to be nearly twenty years after 3.

And as I noted before, there is a reason they keep saying that Lady is relatively young. Japanese culture frowns on older, unsettled women - Especially those over thirty or nearing middle age. Lady was introduced as a teenager and schoolgirl in DMC3, and despite looking almost twenty years older in DMC4, she still retains the overall motif as the spunky, young and cute one. Lady could be in a sequel to DMC2, and it's highly unlikely that they'd say she was over thirty if you asked her age then.

Basically, it's the same reason why Street Fighter's Sakura is going to be wearing a schoolgirl outfit until the day Capcom goes under.

"Over a decade" and "about a decade" ago, Vergil wore the same clothes he did during DMC3 and looked visibly like a young adult.

Over a decade could be any amount of time over a decade, obviously, and could fit into the English translation fine. And again, that version takes precedence - It's much closer to two decades than one.

My evidence is developer statements and interviews, and two out of three known translations agreeing not only with each other but also the aforementioned dev statements that the video creator acknowledges as existing. The video instead says "Well, I'm going to assume something is automatically true for the sake of the video and to prove my particular point, but two devs said something that throws my theory into the garbage but that disagrees with my personal perception of the timeline and the flawed premise I was propping this theory on, so there."

Those two statements and one translation are incorrect when looking at all the other information.

Dante is in his 30's. - [Hiroyuki Kobayashi interview. Game Informer magazine, October 2007]

Dante is nearly 40. - [PSM3 Magazine Janurary 2007]

Dante has the cool attitude of a man in his 30's. - [Hideaki Itsuno, Capcom Legend interview, June 2015]

That's three versus two.

Now, taking Nero's parentage into account, and that is most definitely the timeline. You forget, it has been confirmed that he is Vergil's son - For that not to be the case, they would need to retcon it with new information.

Okay, so... is the power of Hell inherently evil, or is it just a tool that good or bad people can wield as they wish? Sparda, Lucia, Trish, and Bradley all showed that the 'inherent evil' of being born a demon can be overcome through various means, so if anything it looks like 'evil' is a condition brought on by a hostile environment and upbringing rather than genetic predisposition. Humans can also override their 'inherently good' qualities and become evil for the sake of power, as three out of four games show.

The series has reiterated that Humans and Demons are much more alike than anyone would like to admit. Demons skew evil, and Humans skew good, but the possibility for the opposite exists in both sides.

That Sparda didn't trust his own power is a character-specific thing, but if the power of Hell is inherently evil and the church opinion is right, humans can be corrupted by the promise of more power especially when a demon god is involved, and Dante's already surpassed Sparda according to his character file/the DMC4 game manual/whatever, would he be in danger of losing control of himself and should he worry about that? Does Nero have to worry about that? Or are they free from having to make those decisions or get those outcomes because of genetics or plot fiat?

One of the original concepts for DMC4 was Dante losing control of himself and entering into an ascended Devil Trigger, so theoretically it is possible.

Dante has the capacity for both great good and great evil. That would be true whether he was fully Human, or fully Demon. Being a halfbreed merely means that he can embody the strengths and weaknesses of both sides.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Yes. A Human throwing away their Humanity to seek great power is more deplorable than a Demon acting as you'd expect it to. Despite having a much less important role and not affecting the series' main character as badly, Arkham is more worthy of hate than Mundus. Mundus didn't even see what he was doing as wrong, regarding Humans as animals that barely deserved attention, while Arkham is a villain on a much more personal level, having killed his own wife and manipulated his daughter all to obtain infinite power in reverence of evil.

For Credo's part, he believed the Order was doing everything for the sake of good. Rather than seek out the power of Demons, he saw his "ascension" as evolution into an Angel, for a just cause. Only when he saw how Sanctus was willing to use and threaten his sister, who was as good as a person could be and was devoted to the ideals the Order preached, did he understand that he had actually been serving the bad guy.

Did DMCs 2 and 4 suddenly not happen? Arkham is not 'more worthy' of hate than Mundus, as his actions are not all that special/unique even among the other human villains. He killed Lady's mother. That's personal. Mundus killed Dante's mother over a 2000+ year old grudge with the intent of killing the entire family, children included. That's also personal. Sanctus allowed the slaughter of countless innocent civilians in order to frame himself as a hero, but also killed Credo, who was Kyrie's brother and Nero's... I don't know, brother-in-law, and also kidnapped Kyrie and threatened her life, once by using her as a human shield. That's also personal. Arius threatened Lucia's life on more than one occasion and tried to indirectly kill her by casting doubt on whether she was a monster or not, as well as treating her as expendable even though she was for all intents and purposes 'his daughter'. That's also personal. Arkham's actions are not unique.

How does Mundus's ignorance of morals somehow make him less evil or hateworthy, when neither Arkham nor Sanctus nor Arius also saw what they were doing was wrong? That was the entire point of Arkham's speech near the end of the game just before Lady shoots him, and Sanctus questioning the validity of 'love for a sibling'. They are as morally ignorant as Mundus, not 'more so' just because they're human.

And... yeah? Why are you explaining any of that about Credo? I know his character and his role in DMC4. I object to the story dictating that he die just because of it as if he were exactly as irredeemable as Sanctus.

For every intelligent Demon that's good, there are countless more that are despicable.

For a full rundown, let's look at every Demon that can be described as noble in some way.

Sparda
Trish
Lucia
Griffon*
Cerberus*
Agni & Rudra*
Berial*
Modeus
Brad

* Indicates that despite having some redeeming qualities, they still served evil in some way, up until the moment they died.

Now, let's look at all the flatly bad Demons.

Mundus
Argosax
The Despair Embodied
Abigail
Phantom
Trismagia
Bolverk
Beowulf
Doppleganger
Nevan
Bael & Dagon
Echidna
White Rabbit
Mad Hatter
Sid
Belphagor
Baul
The Rolling Thunder Demon
The Wishes Come True Demons
The Once Upon a Time Demon
King
The nameless Demons from the manga, of which there were at least seven

Note that I'm not including Demons which are of overly questionable intelligence or sapience, which are countless.

Even from the small sample size we have available, there is a pretty big majority of Demons that are outright evil, or are at least completely evil from a Human's morality.

It is possible for Demons to be good, but as a whole they tend to skew bad.

You have absolutely no proof that the Gatekeepers in DMC3 were actively serving Evil when none of them save for a single one expressed their goals as anything past "Keep mortals out of the tower by any means necessary" (which, when accepting that mortals were the ones that even built that tower in the first place, places their morality as Neutral at worst). The only one that deviated from this was Beowulf with his hate-on for Sparda's bloodline, the rest of them didn't even acknowledge that Vergil and Arkham existed. You didn't even explain who put them there, because that also wasn't revealed (how convenient). Argosax/the Despair, like I said before, was only described and not shown as some "great evil" when in-game his only contribution to the plot is existing to be defeated to close Dante's story, and that extends to the other bosses in DMC2 with no speaking role. Bolverk? He was Sparda's rival. That's a crime now?

Even ignoring Nero and Vergil's relationship, there are still multiple statements that Dante is intended to be in his 30's as of DMC4.

Early 30's is 'in his 30's', being exactly 30 is the bare minimum requirement to be in that age bracket.

The only outlying factor here is Lady's age. Remove Lady, and they have consistently suggested DMC4 to be nearly twenty years after 3.

And as I noted before, there is a reason they keep saying that Lady is relatively young. Japanese culture frowns on older, unsettled women - Especially those over thirty or nearing middle age. Lady was introduced as a teenager and schoolgirl in DMC3, and despite looking almost twenty years older in DMC4, she still retains the overall motif as the spunky, young and cute one. Lady could be in a sequel to DMC2, and it's highly unlikely that they'd say she was over thirty if you asked her age then.

Basically, it's the same reason why Street Fighter's Sakura is going to be wearing a schoolgirl outfit until the day Capcom goes under.

And if you remove Nero, as well as those eight-year-old outdated statements of Dante's age, they have consistently suggested DMC4 to be only ten years after 3 and not 'almost twenty'. They wouldn't have featured a character that appeared alongside Dante in the 'earliest occurring' installment and brought her in to a later one, implied that she's old (by her relationship to another old character) only to lie about her age. But if you just remove Nero, Dante doesn't have to be almost twenty years older than he was in the last game. I too can disregard an entire character's existence to prove my point.

Your statement about the developers' culture having such a distinct effect on Lady's character design is unfounded because you're saying that their objective statement about Lady's age is untrue yet a similar statement about Dante's age is true even though it's the same Japanese people saying it, and you're falsely attributing 'society doesn't like the idea of women getting older' as a uniquely Japanese sentiment. It's not. That doesn't change that they said Lady is in her mid20s as recently as E3 2015, whereas Dante 'approaching 40' was back in 2007 when they made similar retconned or ignored statements like 'Vergil will not be in this game' and 'Nero is entirely human/is not of Sparda progeny'.

If they refused to say she's older in a hypothetical post-DMC2 game, it's because DMC2 itself wouldn't occur much later after DMC4, not that they literally halted Lady's age because they hate old women and suddenly feel like explaining why, when 'Dante ages like a human', a game taking place past even the 'far future of the Devil May Cry series' where DMC2 is set would feature an actual human character that somehow looks the same rather than opting not to feature her at all in its main story.

The funny thing about your SF analogy is that you could just look up the Street Fighter timeline and some interviews and find that Ono confirmed that Sakura was 21 by SSF4 (Born March 15, 1973, and SSF4 took place in 1994, so she's more or less the same age as Cammy) and gave an in-universe justification for her wearing her outfit with a quirk of that being her publicly recognized 'fighting Gi' the same way Ryu and Ken have apparently never had a change of clothes, or Cammy has never had anything outside of a unitard.

Over a decade could be any amount of time over a decade, obviously, and could fit into the English translation fine. And again, that version takes precedence - It's much closer to two decades than one.

So you're saying the English subtitle of a game made by Japanese people working for a Japanese company whose Japanese culture so obviously influences their character design and timeline takes precedence over the language they read, write, speak, and put in their supplementary media that accompany said games, which is Japanese. Okay. Sure.

Those two statements and one translation are incorrect when looking at all the other information.

Dante is in his 30's. - [Hiroyuki Kobayashi interview. Game Informer magazine, October 2007]

Dante is nearly 40. - [PSM3 Magazine January 2007]

Dante has the cool attitude of a man in his 30's. - [Hideaki Itsuno, Capcom Legend interview, June 2015]

That's three versus two.

Now, taking Nero's parentage into account, and that is most definitely the timeline. You forget, it has been confirmed that he is Vergil's son - For that not to be the case, they would need to retcon it with new information.

You're using statements made in 2007 to disprove something said in 2015. Lady is ten years older than she was in DMC3, and is currently in her mid20s. Dante is not that much older than she is, especially not 'he aged two times as much'. Time passes for them the same as everyone else. Dante being in his early 30s doesn't magically make him not in his 30s unless you can't count. For them to retcon Lady's (and therefore Dante's) age, they would need to make a statement that also puts her in her late 30s, but you don't have that so you're making asinine comments about foreign cultures, acting as if 'age discrimination' against women is something only found in Japan or that their age discrimination doesn't also affect men over 30.

The series has reiterated that Humans and Demons are much more alike than anyone would like to admit. Demons skew evil, and Humans skew good, but the possibility for the opposite exists in both sides.

Alright, so what is your point? You can't say that they're "much more alike" to each other than they want to admit yet still say that "this race is mostly evil and this race is mostly good with very few exceptions", or else the story isn't about the 'exceptions', it's about a likely common possibility between two races that have existed since the beginning of time with presumable diversity among their populace. They cannot be 'much more alike' when the vast majority of each side has opposing extremes as their 'default state' making them largely incapable of the change you're saying they can show.

One of the original concepts for DMC4 was Dante losing control of himself and entering into an ascended Devil Trigger, so theoretically it is possible.

Dante has the capacity for both great good and great evil. That would be true whether he was fully Human, or fully Demon. Being a halfbreed merely means that he can embody the strengths and weaknesses of both sides.

No, it wouldn't be true. You've been saying all this time that Demons are mostly Evil and Humans are mostly Good, with very few exceptions that fail to disprove that particular rule, but now all of a sudden regardless of genealogy, either race is capable of great good and great evil? Had Dante been fully human or fully demon, the story would be different. In keeping with focus on 'the exceptions' and what's more 'emotionally gripping', a fully Human Dante would be evil and unplayable, and a fully Demon Dante would be good, but that risks being a repeat of Sparda unless Sparda in the new continuity didn't save the world himself. An evil fully Demon Dante would just be 'a Demon acting as their default state' and a good fully Human Dante would be rendered invisible by the plot because they're not important, and no one would play as that Dante because the games apparently can't be built around 'No Devil Trigger'. The only thing that could agree with your statement on his character would be the reboot, where he isn't human at all and actually does have the capacity for great good or great evil due to having been born from two actually-opposing races.

What weaknesses has he demonstrated in this series? His trust in Trish paid off by the end of the first game, and he usually keeps his cool during dangerous situations so there is no emotional weakness, he hasn't been bested in a significant way by any other devil he's faced so it's not physical either, he hasn't been corrupted by his own power to compromise his morality, and the concept was scrapped precisely because it wouldn't fit in with his character. Judging from where they placed DMC2, it still won't fit in with his character even if he were 40 or 400.

'Theoretically' anything is possible. 'Theoretically' Sparda and Eva and Vergil could be revived in the very next game. 'Theoretically', Nero could also be just as capable of great good or great evil but I'm interested in practice. In practice, when Dante was framed as having become evil in earlier trailers of DMC4 to set up Nero as the new hero, regardless of 'theoretical capability' most fans correctly assumed that the story was false-- that Dante was still the hero, there was a conspiracy within the Order, and that Nero would be caught on the wrong side. They were right. In practice, Nero has shown no inclination of becoming evil due to his love for Kyrie, which is why Dante entrusts the Yamato to him. In practice, he won't even become corrupt from using the Yamato because it resonates with him that well, and it's his 'own' soul that projects when he uses the Yamato DT, not Vergil's or even Yamato's itself. In practice, Capcom is interested in upholding the status quo, no matter how many new plot elements they introduce. Dante (or Nero) is the hero, he's only vulnerable in rare occasions, and the bad guy always loses by the end because they're supposed to.

In short, we have a fundamental difference in opinion. That difference being I prefer stories that actually show me rather than tell me the rules it's holding itself up on, while you accept it because they said so.

Last edited:

Veloran

Did DMCs 2 and 4 suddenly not happen?
Arkham was merely an example. The same things that make him deplorable also apply to Arius and Sanctus.

Arkham is not 'more worthy' of hate than Mundus,
I would argue that he is. At least with Mundus it's understandable that he's evil, the guy was literally the king of evil. That's his job. Of course the devil is messed up. But with the Human villains, they willingly and knowingly throw away all the good virtues of being Human in pursuit of their goals. In a way, as villains, you could say they possess something that Demons don't.

not 'more so' just because they're human.
They absolutely are. You would expect another Human being to have morals, and for a monster not too, and in that way it's more impactful to see how far a Human can fall.

And... yeah? Why are you explaining any of that about Credo? I know his character and his role in DMC4. I object to the story dictating that he die just because of it as if he were exactly as irredeemable as Sanctus.
Because Credo didn't die as though he was irredeemable, he died trying to do something good and help his family. His death and Sanctus's aren't really comparable like that.

You have absolutely no proof that the Gatekeepers in DMC3 were actively serving Evil when none of them save for a single one expressed their goals as anything past "Keep mortals out of the tower by any means necessary"
Cerberus and Agni & Rudra are arguable, though they are more than willing to kill anyone and everyone that attempts to get past them.

The others less so. Beowulf is just a monster of hate, Nevan's file states she lures mortals down into Hell, and all the rest mainly just try to kill you without much ado.

Additionally, all of them represent one of the seven deadly sins, which is about as classically evil as you can get.

Argosax/the Despair, like I said before, was only described and not shown as some "great evil" when in-game his only contribution to the plot is existing to be defeated to close Dante's story,
So? It's literally described as "the most evil god of all time". It's sort of unarguable that it was evil.

Bolverk? He was Sparda's rival. That's a crime now?
He's a big skeleton man that tries to hunt Dante down because he hated Sparda. Despite not speaking as much as Beowulf, he's at least that evil.

Early 30's is 'in his 30's', being exactly 30 is the bare minimum requirement to be in that age bracket.
Yet according to your sources, he isn't even thirty. Ten years after DMC3 makes him 28 or 29. Not to mention that other source stating that Lady was in her mid twenties during DMC4 considering that would either mean 4 takes place before one, or that Lady was a much younger teen in 3, and that still wouldn't account for Dante.

as well as those eight-year-old outdated statements of Dante's age,
It's been reiterated recently as well.

I too can disregard an entire character's existence to prove my point.
I'm not disregarding Lady's existence, I'm arguing that statements of her age aren't accurate for a variety of reasons.

Heck, if anything you need to disregard Lady far more than I do. According to the timeline you present, she went from this

latest

to this

Lady.jpg

in less than a year. Not to mention the logical inconsistencies of Trish getting together with Dante, going solo, and then getting back together with him again in the same timeframe.

If they refused to say she's older in a hypothetical post-DMC2 game, it's because DMC2 itself wouldn't occur much later after DMC4, not that they literally halted Lady's age because they hate old women and suddenly feel like explaining why, when 'Dante ages like a human', a game taking place past even the 'far future of the Devil May Cry series' where DMC2 is set would feature an actual human character that somehow looks the same rather than opting not to feature her at all in its main story.
This isn't even so complicated. Haven't you ever heard the joke that "No woman ever turns 30"? That's what this is.

So you're saying the English subtitle of a game made by Japanese people working for a Japanese company whose Japanese culture so obviously influences their character design and timeline takes precedence over the language they read, write, speak, and put in their supplementary media that accompany said games, which is Japanese. Okay. Sure.
Just saying, English is always what it's written in first, and decades is what I read when playing through the game. It fits into the timeline that makes the most sense, and so is likely the one that is most correct.

You're using statements made in 2007 to disprove something said in 2015.
Those statements from 2007 line up with what was said in the 2015 interview.

Dante being in his early 30s doesn't magically make him not in his 30s unless you can't count.
Then let's say he's 30, or 31.

That would mean Lady isn't "ten years older" then her DMC3 appearance, she'd be eleven, twelve, or even thirteen years older from then. And in order for her to be in her "mid twenties" while Dante is in his 30's, that would mean she'd have to have been three, four or five years younger than he was in DMC3, which stretches credibility somewhat.

Moreover, you're again ignoring the fact that Nero's parentage has been confirmed. Assuming that your timeline is true and that Dante is 30 (Which again doesn't work internally, but whatever), and that Nero is as old as he has been stated to be, the same as Dante in DMC (19) that means something doesn't add up, as Vergil (According to you) visited Fortuna only ten years before DMC4.

Meaning, not only did Vergil visit the city after the events of DMC3, when Dante was 20 - Which isn't even possible - This visit could not have possibly been the one that conceived Nero, as he would have been only ten or eleven years old in DMC4. Which again, is absurd. It would all add up to Vergil visiting an island that he had already been to in an time period in which he should have been a slave.

Your timeline is broken. It just doesn't work. The way you're presenting it, practically every single scrap of information conflicts with every other one.

They cannot be 'much more alike' when the vast majority of each side has opposing extremes as their 'default state' making them largely incapable of the change you're saying they can show.
Yes, they can. The series has shown countless times that both groups share a lot of similarities. It would be best to say that Humans are born good and Demons are born bad, but the propensity exists for individuals in each group to turn to the opposing side.

Obviously, it's more common for Humans to turn bad than for Demons to turn good, and the reasons for this should really be obvious. It's much easier, more tempting, and more rewarding to be evil than it is to be good. The world doesn't really pay back selflessness or kindness as much as it does selfishness, and that probably goes doubly so for the Demon world.

No, it wouldn't be true. You've been saying all this time that Demons are mostly Evil and Humans are mostly Good, with very few exceptions that fail to disprove that particular rule, but now all of a sudden regardless of genealogy, either race is capable of great good and great evil?
Each has the capability, Sparda proves that beyond the shadow of a doubt.

What weaknesses has he demonstrated in this series? His trust in Trish paid off by the end of the first game, and he usually keeps his cool during dangerous situations so there is no emotional weakness, he hasn't been bested in a significant way by any other devil he's faced so it's not physical either, he hasn't been corrupted by his own power to compromise his morality, and the concept was scrapped precisely because it wouldn't fit in with his character. Judging from where they placed DMC2, it still won't fit in with his character even if he were 40 or 400.
Dante demonstrates the strengths of both sides, the heart of a Human, and the power of a Demon. They compliment each other. That what the basis for the whole series was even before it was Devil May Cry, when Tony Redgrave was supposed to use the power of Umbrella's monstrous biotechnology to do good.

In short, we have a fundamental difference in opinion. That difference being I prefer stories that actually show me rather than tell me the rules it's holding itself up on, while you accept it because they said so.
I think they've shown quite often the rules that the series adheres to. In almost every game, in fact.

If you don't like the way it works, there are countless stories where the Humans are always the good guys and the Demons are universally bad. Maybe go try out God Hand.

Gray Knight

Don't series tend to like to focus on the exceptions to rules, I do note that this can create a problem of "informed atributes" that we take as granted. I do want the next series game to have a demon villain (or hell an angel villain if they are willing to dive into that in either timeline), as 3/4 games in DMC series have had a human villain wanting to gain demonic power.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Nero did say he'd be willing to give up his humanity and 'endure the exile' to protect Kyrie. A game where he gives it up and thinks 'Wait a minute, I don't have to suffer through this, F that nonsense!' and goes full villain would work. But, not the way I just said it. It'd ultimately be tragic or something.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
oh that sounds cool, kyrie needs to die if we want to see nero go full villain, it'll be like anti-sparda, while sparda stays on the force side, nero comes to the darkside.. i want this to happen!

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Nero did say he'd be willing to give up his humanity and 'endure the exile' to protect Kyrie. A game where he gives it up and thinks 'Wait a minute, I don't have to suffer through this, F that nonsense!' and goes full villain would work. But, not the way I just said it. It'd ultimately be tragic or something.

Hm, Nero going full villain. And you say that all we need is a reason? Alright, kill off the choir girl...

...Yes, I know, I'm too evil!.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Psh. Fridged woman? How 80s. How about this: Kyrie AND Nero go full villain. It's like Eve tempting Adam except Adam doesn't chicken out to blame Eve when things go pear-shaped. Let's be real, Nero's character is such that if Kyrie says jump, Nero asks "How high", so if she said "Spill the blood of innocent babies" he'd ask how many. The guy is loyal to a fault and he'd follow her to the ends of the earth. Killing off Kyrie will just make him mad at whoever killed her and for him to be an effective villain IMO, we'd have to make the killer one of the other heroes for him to be super p***ed at them. They'd at least have to be responsible. Otherwise he's a villain with no cause, taking his feelings out on an entire species, essentially a repeat of Vergil ("Oh no I couldn't protect her, gotta unleash Hell because I feel inadequate!") But! Turn Kyrie into a villain and Nero is soon to follow, willing to protect her from whatever. She could be possessed by an eldritch abomination and he'd still tap tha-- I mean, protect her.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
People were saying that Kyrie was going to be a villain in DMC 4. However, apparently choir girl was a better suited path for her character...lol.

Gray Knight

I read this fanfic where being the part of the core of the savior and still being human had Kyrie suffer from some mental corruption. So maybe have something where the effects put her through some pseudo ascension cermony, except it drives her partially like the failed runs apparently went. Not to have her as a main villain but join up with the main villain (preferably a full demon) and Nero trying to bring her back to sanity and maybe failing.
I personally would like to keep Nero as a Hero though, it's not like the slot of good guy be exclusive to a few.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I don't know if killing Kyrie would actually turn him evil, it probably just make him apathetic like DMC2 Dante (which would be interesting to see). He'd still be on Dante's side fighting the good fight, just more on a reflex or out of habit than compassion or justice. It could be a good arc for dante tho, trying to get nero to care again.

I'm cool with her going through an ascension ceremony or get some powers somehow as it could shake up her character and dynamic with everyone. Not sure if I want her to be a villain as I see her being an anti-villain like her brother rather than someone truly despicable but don't villains see themselves as the hero of their own story? So make her a good person stuck with no good options? applies to nero as well.

Top Bottom