• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero

Veloran

Lns57f4.jpg

Just sayin'.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
At this point everybody and their dog know it , but all of us are waiting to see it "officially" said in a game.
At this point we are all curious how this boy came to be and who was his honorable mother.
Capcom, please , even if you do only a one more DMC game, be honorable enough to answer this subject, since it is the subject more curiosity causes at this point.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Where did this originate from? Because I'm sure @Gel posted this up earlier.

Besides, they've pretty much just been pushing the idea that Nero is Vergil's son for ages now.

Gel

Premium
Where did this originate from? Because I'm sure @Gel posted this up earlier.

Besides, they've pretty much just been pushing the idea that Nero is Vergil's son for ages now.
Mine was giving to me by @Viper , who found it on Gamefaqs.
I just put it here because people insisted that translation would be different and that Capcom dropped the idea.

KRSkull

The idea of Vergil is Nero's father is sorta obvious. I mean the Yamato accepted him. and it reacted to his arm. and Nero in D.T is actually his soul, which feels similar to Vergil's, as stated by Dante.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Gel: Oh right, fair enough. Well it would appear that the idea hasn't been dropped.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
''The idea of Vergil is Nero's father is sorta obvious. I mean the Yamato accepted him. and it reacted to his arm. and Nero in D.T is actually his soul, which feels similar to Vergil's, as stated by Dante.''

First off, the sword didn't react to his arm, all we saw was that Nero tried to grab the Yamato with his arm, he put all his strength into it. The arm so far has no reason to be connected to Vergil, it's just Nero's arm and it has the power to interact with demonic things. That's it.
Also, Nero doesn't have to be Vergil's son to be able to react to the Yamato. Everyone who has Sparda's blood can react to the Yamato and use it. The Yamato didn't accept him, Vergil's soul did, and his soul is inside the Yamato. Vergil called out for more power, Nero wanted that too, and so they entered into a pact. For all we know, if Dante were the first person to have found the Yamato, he might've been able to channel Vergil's soul somehow too. But I think the reason why Nero was able to and Dante later can't, is because Nero was badly wounded and was about to gain the devil trigger. It's possible that the only way for Vergil to 'resurrect' (so to speak) is to create a devil trigger inside somebody who had not gained a devil trigger yet, or to go into devil trigger himself in unison with that person (which he did with Nero).

There's still no proof that Vergil is Nero's biological father. Everybody loves bringing up this art, but all we can deduce right now is that Bingo Morihashi probably intended Nero to be Vergil's son. But considering he left Capcom, we have no idea whether or not Capcom is going with that idea. We have to remember that DMC4 was originally very different, it had a different story that gave Dante his own journey and bosses in hell. Even Nero looked very different from what he looks like now, so can we really say for certain that he's still supposed to be Vergil's son? A line in an artbook that was probably originally written by Bingo is not exactly 'evidence'.

I don't think Vergil being his father makes much sense, considering Vergil would never saddle his son with the problem of being 3/4 human, because he thinks power is the ultimate goal. He equates power with being demonic, and if he had a son with a human, that would mean he'd be saddling Nero with the same drama he himself went through as a child: not being able to protect the ones he loves. I also doubt he would just have a child with somebody and then leave them to fend for themselves... to Vergil, that would be a guarantee they'd die from a demonic attack.

Secondly, I think Vergil reveres Sparda too much to dilute the Sparda bloodline like that, and to risk the bloodline dying off completely if demons became strong enough to beat Sparda's descendants.

Third, Vergil doesn't seem to like humans, which makes me wonder why he would want to have a child with one. And if he didn't want to have a child, then how did Nero come into existence? Probably not in the normal, natural way. It's possible the Order of the Sword found some way to create him, or Vergil did in secret (though Sanctus at least appears to have always known Nero is Sparda's ''blood'').

I don't know, there is more symbolism in DMC4 that implies Nero is connected to Sparda, than there is to suggest he is to Vergil. He's got red and blue clothing, his arm is red and blue, his weapons are the Red Queen and the Blue Rose, and Berial says he's just like Sparda was. Nero's story is essentially Sparda's, only reversed: Sparda became human for the sake of living with Eva while Nero ''became'' a demon, came to terms with his demonic side. Nero's original art showed him without Vergil's soul, with his own demon form, which seems to imply he has a surprising amount of power for being 3/4 human. There's something fishy going on. To me, it's almost like Nero was somehow created from Sparda, and it makes me wonder what Vergil was doing in Fortuna. Was he just hoping to get more info on him and what he did, so that he could open the hell gate in DMC3, or was he doing something with Sparda's 'blood'? The guy reveres Sparda, so for all we know he tried to create some kind of clone. Maybe he thought he failed, but somebody went on to create Nero anyway? The story of a prostitute leaving Nero at the orphanage is fishy, anyway, and if Nero has a mother, why wouldn't she be featured at some point? Why wouldn't she even try to find out how he's doing? I think it's more likely he was somehow created, though by whom, we don't know.

Gel

Premium
The story of a prostitute leaving Nero at the orphanage is fishy, anyway, and if Nero has a mother, why wouldn't she be featured at some point?
Do you know this was a rumor said in Fortuna and Sanctus just overheard it, right?Prostitute story only appeared because nobody saw or known of a pregnant woman or that someone gave birth at that time Nero appeared.Probably isn't, UNLESS Capcom is too lazy to make a good female character .

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Enigma: You make a lot of very interesting points, but personally I was of the same mindset as yourself once before. I didn't like the idea that Nero was Vergil's son either. However, it seems to be what they're going with here. Whether anything solid has been said or if it's just been hinted at. Even this new information says that he is and that's more than what we know about him so far, since knowledge of Nero's background is minimal at best.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
Yes, it is?

I mean, it's right there for you to read man. And it wasn't just some line snuck in or originally mistranslated either.
Nope, it isn't. Evidence is when something is outright proved, outright stated by Capcom in this case, and corroborated with logical reasoning or evidence. Some art book with an idea that was originally written by Bingo can hardly be called evidence, especially since Nero went through several design stages, and there is no evidence in the game that he's Vergil's son. It's up to Capcom what to make of Nero, and so far not a single source calls Nero Vergil's son. All we've got is this anniversary art book thing (which isn't even specific to Devil May Cry but to all popular Capcom franchises) that hasn't been commented on by the team that worked on DMC4.

''It's right there for you to read''? So is the Bible, and it's filled with bull.

Don't get me wrong, it's highly likely that Nero is Vergil's son, but Capcom has some explaining to do before I can consider it to be 'proved'. Just writing ''oh and btw, he's Vergil's son'' is not proof. Like I said in my previous comment, at this point I don't find Nero being Vergil's son all that logical.

Last edited:

Viper

Premium
Nope, it isn't. Some art book with an idea that was originally written by Bingo can hardly be called evidence, especially since Nero went through several design stages, and there is no evidence in the game that he's Vergil's son. It's up to Capcom what to make of Nero, and so far not a single source calls Nero Vergil's son. All we've got is this anniversary art book thing that apparently hasn't been commented on by the team that worked on DMC4.

''It's right there for you to read''? So is the Bible, and it's filled with things nobody can prove, and a whole lot of stuff that's been proved to be bull.
I'm sorry, but when people start comparing an artbook for a videogame to Bible of all things is when I seriously need to facepalm. o_O
Of course Bible is filled with things that can't be proven, it's a religious book and most, if not all, in it is a metaphor for something written in form that is both entertaining to read and simple enough to understand.
An artbook is a collection of art and little info creators thought of and wanted to compile into a nice form. Usually when they want to show things that didn't make it into final product they put art, so I doubt they would have put the info that Nero is Vergil's son written so straightforward if they didn't approve of the idea.

Enigma

Crimson Sentinel
I'm sorry, but when people start comparing an artbook for a videogame to Bible of all things is when I seriously need to facepalm. o_O
Of course Bible is filled with things that can't be proven, it's a religious book and most, if not all, in it is a metaphor for something written in form that is both entertaining to read and simple enough to understand.
An artbook is a collection of art and little info creators thought of and wanted to compile into a nice form. Usually when they want to show things that didn't make it into final product they put art, so I doubt they would have put the info that Nero is Vergil's son written so straightforward if they didn't approve of the idea.
I'm afraid a lot of what is written in the Bible is not metaphorical. There are many things written in it that are supposed to be taken literally, but have been proved to be bullsh*t. Even the idea that Jews were slaves in Egypt has no evidence behind it. I mean, come on.
But, I'm not really ''comparing'' the Bible to this artbook -- what I'm saying is that anyone could write anything and claim it to be true, but we'd be none the wiser. Just writing something is pointless.

Like I said, I'm willing to accept that Nero is Vergil's son, but it definitely hasn't been proved. Writing that it's true doesn't automatically make it so. At this point Capcom could easily backpedal on Nero's origins and claim that this artbook was always ''non-canon''. God knows they've done that kind of stuff before, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like that when the next DMC is released. So I'll wait for confirmation, I'll wait until it's set in stone, not just in a random page they could backpedal on.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Like I said, I'm willing to accept that Nero is Vergil's son, but it definitely hasn't been proved. Writing that it's true doesn't automatically make it so.

Yes it does, when the creators (in this case, Capcom) write it. Whether it makes sense or not (in this case, I'm afraid not, but heh...). You can twist it however you want dude, but now the fact that Nero is Vergil's son is, indeed, a fact.

So I'll wait for confirmation, I'll wait until it's set in stone, not just in a random page they could backpedal on.

They can backpedal on stone too. But whether it is stone or paper, until that happens, if it will happen, the current situation is that Nero's Vergil's son.

Veloran

Evidence is when something is outright proved, outright stated by Capcom in this case,
Yeah, that's exactly what this is.

and there is no evidence in the game that he's Vergil's son.
That's a joke, right?

Writing that it's true doesn't automatically make it so.
That logic is faulty, you could apply it to anything. An argument could be made for literally any information anywhere being false if your standpoint for disproving it amounts to just saying "No".

At this point Capcom could easily backpedal on Nero's origins and claim that this artbook was always ''non-canon''.
That's the thing - It WOULD be backpedaling. At this point, changing that would be a retcon that requires declaring material non-canon.

And hey, they could do that. But they haven't. So the idea that something might happen in the future isn't an argument for why something isn't the case now.

Gel

Premium
I'm just wondering what it would be like if they met
Or I dunno, maybe Vergil's a good dad *Shrugs*
For what I got from Nero's dream , Vergil would be gentle with him .After all he woke Nero from death.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I'm just wondering what it would be like if they me
He tried to kill his own brother in cold blood. I think we've established that Vergil cares very little about traditional familial ties, as long as they stand in the way of his pursuit of power.

And seeing as to what path Nero ended up choosing at the end of DMC4, that's exactly where he'd be standing.

Top Bottom