• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
I don't know if killing Kyrie would actually turn him evil, it probably just make him apathetic like DMC2 Dante (which would be interesting to see). He'd still be on Dante's side fighting the good fight, just more on a reflex or out of habit than compassion or justice. It could be a good arc for dante tho, trying to get nero to care again.

I'm cool with her going through an ascension ceremony or get some powers somehow as it could shake up her character and dynamic with everyone. Not sure if I want her to be a villain as I see her being an anti-villain like her brother rather than someone truly despicable but don't villains see themselves as the hero of their own story? So make her a good person stuck with no good options? applies to nero as well.

well anakin went loco after padme died

Gray Knight

the dark side.. wait.. nah, forget i ever said anything
Well to be fair iirc he was basically snapped when he had visions that Padme was guaranteed to die, and his mom died.

On the side of Kyrie being corrupted, I was just giving possible reason for a change in her character. It could offer some nice development for Nero, Kyrie having previously accepted Nero who has was revealed to have become part demon suffers a similar fate and now would have Nero reciprocate the support she gave him to create a nice mirroring. That and Kyrie being turned crazy by becoming demonic would represent what Nero feared would happen to him, except it happens to his pillar of emotional support instead of directly him.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I wouldn't believe that unless I saw it, because I doubt Nero would deliberately lie to Kyrie post-4, and Kyrie is pretty much written to be a super-understanding, "unconditional love" type of person. Credo died so that she and Nero would live, even if he did suffer the stupidest death ever. It seems like something she'd accept. Not saying she wouldn't grieve, but she wouldn't dump Nero for it either unless (maybe) she blamed herself for Credo dying.

Then there's the whole, "Everyone forgot about Credo" point that happens in the game. Not even Kyrie mentions him. She would have to ask eventually, but the game deliberately ended on a "Happily Ever After" note to the point where the SE actually lets her and Nero finish that kiss instead of interrupting it with demons. Someone at Capcom is trying to push the ship as some "everlasting, attaining the unattainable" thing, the Lite version of Sparda and Eva.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
She would have to ask eventually, but the game deliberately ended on a "Happily Ever After" note to the point where the SE actually lets her and Nero finish that kiss instead of interrupting it with demons. Someone at Capcom is trying to push the ship as some "everlasting, attaining the unattainable" thing, the Lite version of Sparda and Eva.

What still makes me think that was the last DMC and/or the last time we see Nero, since novel continues how they now live together, she cooks for the poor and he is a devil hunter.
If this romance is to reflect Sparda/Eva romance, both of them will get killed eventually.

absolitude

both of them will get killed eventually.

oh, this sounds awesome, but just kill kyrie, that way there's a way to make nero the cool villain i've always wanted in the franchise.. and by that he won't just be bad bad, he had the trigger, i know nero can snap if kyrie dies, the way he screamed her name (should) picture that..

and maybe with nero as villain, dante finally has to take something in a serious manner, and maybe after that he could be the DMC2 dante, he killed his brother's son and also maybe again killed his brother.. i certainly hope nero could be somewhat alot stronger when this villainy thing should happen

berto

I Saw the Devil
Regarding this whole 'who is going to tell Kirye about her brother' and how will it affect their relationship, well, I think she knows. Seems to me that she was probably well aware of what was going on outside the Savior during that whole schpiel, no reason to keep her from knowing, what harm could she do?

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Regarding this whole 'who is going to tell Kirye about her brother' and how will it affect their relationship, well, I think she knows. Seems to me that she was probably well aware of what was going on outside the Savior during that whole schpiel, no reason to keep her from knowing, what harm could she do?
Yeah, chances are she must have had some level of awareness from being part of the Savior's core. Nero could hear Dante's voice fine while he was in there, Kyrie should've been able to hear the "NERO, RUN!" moment and everything around that. So I guess that's a non-issue.

@absolitude Dude, what is the obsession with killing off Kyrie? It's not gonna turn Nero villainous unless Dante or someone close was responsible, and aside from that being a repeat of Vergil's plot after Eva died, it runs into the same problem plaguing DMC4: Nero cares more about Kyrie than a majority of the fandom does, because she has so little development around her in-game that her sole purpose is "Nero's motivation, for better or [if you ask the fans,] worse". Who's her death gonna move emotionally, like, 10 people? Killing off a character people don't care about elicits the wrong reaction 90% of the time and whoever doesn't like Nero or doesn't like Kyrie is just gonna roll their eyes at the ensuing cliche plot. He'd go dark side over a "cardboard cutout". Chill, man, let Kyrie have some development instead of getting fridged like every other non-combatant woman in the series.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I remember reading the whole relationship between Nero and his cardboard cut out love interest was DMC 4's attempt to attract a bigger female audience.

Because girls can only get in to action games if that got that girly lovey dovey stuff, right guiz?

*facepalm*

It would have been a lot more interesting if Kyrie turned out to be the evil mastermind behind it all, but noooooo. If the girl isn't just reduced to eye candy she's utterly bland when it comes to this series. Not saying I don't like characters like Trish and Lady, but I wouldn't mind if these female characters would get a little more substance.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I remember reading the whole relationship between Nero and his cardboard cut out love interest was DMC 4's attempt to attract a bigger female audience.
Yahtzee's neither a real hardcore gamer, nor is he a real reviewer.

He's a comedian who produces endless clickbait. Thus, his opinion about Kyrie being a cardboard cutout love interest has no merit. Which means I win this argument by default.

Heil Fuhrer.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yahtzee's neither a real hardcore gamer, nor is he a real reviewer.

He's a comedian who produces endless clickbait. Thus, his opinion about Kyrie being a cardboard cutout love interest has no merit. Which means I win this argument by default.

Heil Fuhrer.
image.png

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
@Chancey289 Lemme quote Kobayashi on this one.

S: It’s quite amazing that the Basara series, an action game series with a bunch of male leads, is so well received by both genders. It seems like companies are trying to figure out how to appeal to women, but are resorting to gender stereotyped games instead.

HK: I took similar steps while making Devil May Cry 4 as well. The first thing was to take away things girls don’t like, things that are disgusting and violent graphics or events. Also, big, buff, macho guys. There are girls that like that, but most girls like a realistic nice, sweet guy.

If we made someone like the Hulk, a big overly muscular guy, girls probably won’t be into that. If you take that character and tone him down a bit, make him more of a smart type, that little difference can change the perception of how females receive that character.

S: As a personal opinion, do you feel this is cross cultural or something just for Japan?

HK: With the characters we tested in Devil May Cry 4 the responses were very good. There wasn’t anyone saying ‘oh we wish you had this type of character’ and nobody said ‘oh we really wish you didn’t have this kind of character’. We were able to take the response from Devil May Cry 4 to fine tune the characters for this game.

So basically, if Nero and Kyrie's romance were the only thing added to DMC4 to attract female gamers, we would've actually had a better game. Instead Dante got bulked up just to be shoved aside because "girls don't like it", there's no blood whatsoever (what does Kobayashi think women do every month?), and the romance I guess magically makes up for the fact that every woman in the game lacks depth and the previous developments for Trish and Lady were made non-existent in favor of jiggling breasts and outfits that look more fitting for going out clubbing instead of actually hunting demons, not even mentioning Trish's inexplicable "black Lady Gaga" outfit where she forgets her underwear and exists to complicate the plot when it could've been resolved within ten minutes. What the eff.

Also can we appreciate that Kobayashi thinks Nero is "more of a smart type" yet they couldn't name him Rodin as intended because that was too intellectual and had "too many syllables" while Dante and Vergil are obviously named after poets? (That and Rodin is two syllables anyway unless you have a southern twang.) Naming a character after the artist who based his best work off of Dante Alighieri's poetry when the design of the character himself is based off of his predecessor Dante, would make some amount of sense. Instead his name is just "we found him in something black so his name is Black" which, I'm not gonna lie, when you get right down to etymology and naming conventions that's exactly how people name each other (or did at some point), but this is a damn mess.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
In the artbook they talked about having Credo be the last boss but they scrapped that as they thought it would drive a wedge between them so maybe that's what @DarkSlayerZero was referring to. Apparently they never considered couple's therapy.

EDIT- That could be a joke in game as Vergil said he wanted to name Nero Rodin after the painter and reference that whole Dante connection. Bringing in Nero's smarts could be a way of differentiating him from Dante tho ( give him a sculpting/painting hobby).

Last edited:

absolitude

@absolitude Dude, what is the obsession with killing off Kyrie? It's not gonna turn Nero villainous unless Dante or someone close was responsible, and aside from that being a repeat of Vergil's plot after Eva died, it runs into the same problem plaguing DMC4: Nero cares more about Kyrie than a majority of the fandom does, because she has so little development around her in-game that her sole purpose is "Nero's motivation, for better or [if you ask the fans,] worse". Who's her death gonna move emotionally, like, 10 people? Killing off a character people don't care about elicits the wrong reaction 90% of the time and whoever doesn't like Nero or doesn't like Kyrie is just gonna roll their eyes at the ensuing cliche plot. He'd go dark side over a "cardboard cutout". Chill, man, let Kyrie have some development instead of getting fridged like every other non-combatant woman in the series.

lol, no no no, my obsession isn't on killing kyrie, it's more about giving the series a cool lead villain one that could pose a real threat to dante.. i want dante to take things seriously even if he is "omnipotently" strong..

and there's no point giving kyrie's character some development mind you, this game was never about the story or character development, and to expand kyrie's character?? capcom won't give much into that..

but with nero being villain for the reason of kyrie's death, which is the most cliche of ideas, won't have much effort to put into work, so i think this could work for DMC.. as for the story telling they could use the DMC3 style, it was simple, but the presentation makes it bigger..

and dante don't have to kill her, nero could be corrupted of grief, guy was willing to die for her, make sense if hyperbolically that would snap him..

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
That could be a joke in game as Vergil said he wanted to name Nero Rodin after the painter and reference that whole Dante connection. Bringing in Nero's smarts could be a way of differentiating him from Dante tho ( give him a sculpting/painting hobby).
Agreed, as I always had the impression Vergil had known his son while he was alive and Nero's real name was Rodin, but since the baby was found alone wrapped in a black blanket without any kind of data, letters, (...), orphanage's people just named him Nero.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
In the artbook they talked about having Credo be the last boss but they scrapped that as they thought it would drive a wedge between them so maybe that's what @DarkSlayerZero was referring to. Apparently they never considered couple's therapy.

EDIT- That could be a joke in game as Vergil said he wanted to name Nero Rodin after the painter and reference that whole Dante connection. Bringing in Nero's smarts could be a way of differentiating him from Dante tho ( give him a sculpting/painting hobby).
Would Credo being the last boss mean he was the villain the whole time, or would Sanctus (as the villain) possess him and force Nero into a fight? If it's the former and everything happened like it did with Kyrie being kidnapped and used for a battery because Credo thinks "love for a sibling is weak, all you need is power", she would've had to be seriously brainwashed to still sympathize with him after that, and that's taking into account that she witnesses the last battle between them (inside the Savior, not the False Savior statue). If it's the latter, well, Sanctus wasn't exactly hiding his villainy to Kyrie (using her as a shield, directly threatening her with the Sparda), so.... there's that. I really don't see a break-up/"irreparable relationship" scenario from either outcome. Kyrie would probably be even more pushed into Nero's arms and consider Credo dying as a "mercy kill" not a murder that she holds Nero accountable for. But that's just assuming that "mostly everything in the plot is the same" except for that.

"Bringing in Nero's smarts" at this point Nero doing anything would make him smarter than Dante, and that's sad. Capcom cherry-picked useless pieces of Dante's character from the novel to use in the anime and games, but then they saddled him with "debt" and an almost childish lack of self-control during missions (causing more collateral damage than he's getting paid from the mission in general), and having Trish as a sidekick doesn't help. Nero doesn't even need a hobby; just have him investigate a mission before going into it, and have him not mess it up, so that he doesn't end up owing money to everyone. That's smart, not making the murder of a religious leader a public spectacle and causing a mass panic, or aiding the villains in their evil plot by handing them the strongest Devil Arm in existence.

Top Bottom