• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Female Thor = Feminist Propaganda

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
image-20150227-16185-1oiidus.png

4bd50c9b-92fa-492a-b5c3-9069bf479921-1409x2040.jpeg

Good god. I remember how Marvel claimed that the introduction of Female Thor wouldn't lead to any detract in quality in the writing. And here I am, reading a superhero comic, with dialogue that sounds like tripe from a Tumblr blog.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Yea, I haven't been keeping up with the new Thor, but is this all it is? Them putting her up against sexism so she wins? Waiting for her to shout girl power.
Yep. No defining character traits, no interesting charactersitics or wit to bring to the table...just mortifying examples of outdated, late-90's "Bad girl sass" for the sake of "GIRL POWER."

This has to be the laziest attempt to be progressive I've ever seen. Good thing MCU Thor is still around, because this shallow caricature of feminism is hogging the spotlight in the Thor comics.

berto

I Saw the Devil
OH... My... Sweet... Merciful... God.

How dumb can you possibly be. First of all it's crap like this that will make your works dated in no time at all. Top it off with the dumb commentary and dialogue and Marvel is obviously going overboard with this forced equality thing. It's gone from a questionable idea to downright silly. Marvel already had some bad ass women in their roster, why change characters that are established? What is wrong with making new ones and putting some effort into them. I think I'll just stick with the independent circuit and manga; they might not be perfect but they are more unique and interesting by leaps and bounds.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
What is wrong with making new ones and putting some effort into them.

Mostly the "putting some effort into them" part. And c'mooooon, how are they supposed to capitalize on a hot topic if they don't make the change to one of their newly publicly-popularized characters :tongue:

From what I have seen, the actual plot of how this woman took up Thor's mantle is...slightly okay; Thor was feeling incredibly jaded and didn't want to be a hero anymore, and mewmew passed on to this mystery lady for a time while Thor sorts his **** out.

However, the panels shown here are exactly what you don't do. This just lampshades the entire thing. Without these panels, there was some actual benefit of the doubt, you could get by thinking that the change itself was a mix-up for the serial to bring a fresh idea to it for a time. Think about it - Thor is jaded, and this mysterious woman has taken up the mantle and hammer, we want to see how Thor will get back into the game, and who the mystery woman is, but now they just put a lampshade on the entire thing, calling out the detractors of the plot's concept, and standing up that villain as a literal strawman to the debate that Fem!Thor can knock down. One of my comic bookie friends tells me that the villain's words are in line with his personality, at least, so there's that, but I can't shake the question of "Why the hell is Thor, the God(dess) of Thunder, stopping an armored car robbery? Isn't that sorta beneath them?" (Legit question, beeteedubs, because if he doesn't, then by golly they strawmanned the entire encounter with the strawman!).

My problem really isn't with the concept of them making Thor female. There was also Frog!Thor and like...weird...goat...alien!Thor, as well, but it just seems like it's trying to play off of a hot topic to try and grab dat female demographic in an extremely vapid way, and then was used to strawman a deeply troubling and complicated issue. Also, of course written by comic book guys, who may have damn ideas, but are often extremely terrible at actually writing.

As RebDy mentioned, I actually said something about this on my facebook, which I can use to close out this post :p

TWOxACROSS on his facadetome said:
Wanna know how to write a "feminist icon"? By just writing a well-developed female character based on her merits as a person, and not her tits, while NEVER having her utter some garbage feminist statements (because then it just looks like pandering).

Don't arbitrarily place her into situations against sexism just so she can win, either. It does not add points to some "feminism wins" column, it lessens the overall work and the integrity of the character.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
*Facepalm* Why is Thor a woman? I'm not against female superheros in any way. But why? Why take an established character and gender swap them? (I'd be just as mad if Storm, Black Widow, or Wonder Woman were gender swapped) . There are already female superheros..

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Thor being a woman isn't the problem - it's the fact that it seems to have been a very shameless grab for attention for the feminist demographic and has stood up a terrible strawman in the story for no reason other than to attempt a "feminism wins" element, which falls flat >.<

*Facepalm* Why is Thor a woman? I'm not against female superheros in any way. But why? Why take an established character and gender swap them? (I'd be just as mad if Storm, Black Widow, or Wonder Woman were gender swapped) . There are already female superheros..

In this instance, it's not a genderswap, the reigning Thor got all jaded or something and mewmew choose a new person to take up the mantle of Thor while he was sorting his junk out, and in doing chose a woman.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Thor being a woman isn't the problem - it's the fact that it seems to have been a very shameless grab for attention for the feminist demographic and has stood up a terrible strawman in the story for no reason other than to attempt a "feminism wins" element, which falls flat >.<

In this instance, it's not a genderswap, the reigning Thor got all jaded or something and mewmew choose a new person to take up the mantle of Thor while he was sorting his junk out, and in doing chose a woman.
Ahh Okay, well that's not as bad. Don't get me wrong I agree that the whole "feminism wins" thing is done wrong.

Top Bottom